PDA

View Full Version : Turkish Grand Prix

Pages : [1] 2

Saint Devote
22nd May 2010, 05:01
The biggest question to be answered next week at Istanbul Park is whether Webber will continue to dominate his teammate?

That RBR has discovered a technical problem with Vettel's chassis and a brand new one will become his usual ride suggests that Vettel was out-engineered rather than out-driven recently in Spain and Monaco.

Perhaps a deal has already been done with RBR, perhaps not. And maybe Monaco was the end of the perfect storm for Webber and he should have agreed to a multi-year deal with Ferrari.

Realistically, Webber had to know that beating Vettel as he did was not a new trend but something that was happening for now.

Ferrari or Red Bull? Mark is in the twilight of his career at RBR - they like younger drivers and if the magic does not continue will become all shifty and grumpy.

I think the best act Mark could have done was secretly sign in Monaco for Ferrari and become the next Regazzoni.

I hope it continues in Turkey for Webber, but the Vettel chassis problem has cast doubt.

Its not the first time that doubters like myself have underestimated the Wallaby, and he is going to have to demonstrate it was not Luscious Liz that defeated her driver but his teammate.

Surely the lure of being a Ferrari driver, despite all the pressure of Italy that goes with it, is too strong to resist?

Once asked whether he regretted not signing for the mega succesful Williams but Ferrari in the early 90's, Alesi answered "no" because he became a Ferrari driver :s mokin:

ST205GT4
22nd May 2010, 12:35
We'll see I guess, but I'm not ready to put down Mark's recent performance over his team mate down to a "chassis" problem.

Whatever this mysterious problem is, it can't be that bad because Vettel has hardly been uncompetitive.

Sonic
22nd May 2010, 14:07
I'd take that "chassis fault" with a truck load of salt. This is after all the same car that the Vet has driven all season and he's hardly been slow. No, I think this "fault" is partially a way to help Vettel rationalise his recent performances a be able to say "it wasn't my fault".

Sebastian may well regain the initiative in Turkey, but it will have nothing to do with the new car and everything to do with being spurred on to beat his team mate - there could be fireworks!

Elsewhere on the grid I'm looking forward to see if Massa can unseat Alonso on a track he loves.

Roamy
22nd May 2010, 17:10
there can be many things that will upset the balance of a race car. Perhaps the chassis has a small crack somewhere which allows flexing. The car should be better in the wet and unbalanced in the dry. It is pretty amazing what the smallest imperfection can do. But with that being said, it appears that webber still has some in the tank. This should be very interesting.

And I will be surprised if Massa can unseat Alonso.
I expect Nico to regain his form over the cheater

Ranger
23rd May 2010, 02:38
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/05/mark-webber-success-better-late-than-never/

The team said this week that it found some damage on Vettel’s chassis after Monaco, which possibly accounts for him not being on Webber’s pace in the last two races. It must have been subtle damage as Vettel managed to set the fastest lap in the closing stages of the Monaco race.

But psychologically for the team the new chassis is a page turner; there had to be some other reason why he was being beaten by the other guy and now the pressure is really on Vettel to regain the initiative.

Sums it up really. Although with or without the new chassis there would be no great surprise if Vettel is faster than Webber in Turkey. On any given weekend both of them are capable of handing it to the other driver.

Valve Bounce
23rd May 2010, 11:40
Not a word about poor Bunsen :(
Anyone have the weather forecast?

christophulus
23rd May 2010, 13:07

Warm and dry, by the looks of it

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/05/23/dry-weather-expected-in-turkey/

Tazio
23rd May 2010, 16:03
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/05/mark-webber-success-better-late-than-never/

Sums it up really. Although with or without the new chassis there would be no great surprise if Vettel is faster than Webber in Turkey. On any given weekend both of them are capable of handing it to the other driver.

As much as I would like to see Kettel dominated by Webbo' There is in my opinion validity to this report.
However I think it is bad form to make public statements about it.
It would seem to me that it would be in RBR best interest to just change the chassis and get on with it. Is Fettel's ego so fragile that the team has to make sure the public knows their #1 has a good excuse for his teammate giving him a couple of beat-downs in a row? This sounds like the ridiculous utterances' that Bernie likes to make.

At any rate it feeds the trolls, and we don't need hungry trolls menacing the perfectly logical discussions that this forum is endowed with :)

Saint Devote
23rd May 2010, 16:08

The focus in racing has moved from Jense-Lewis to Webber-Vettel - were his ace performances really the result of his being "woken-up" [hence the surprise in pitlane with people asking what he had "eaten or drank"] or now as it could be a significant "out-engineering" due to betrayal of Vettel by "Luscious Liz".

Sebastian IS the noted grand prix winner of the two and has always been viewed as the driver RBR looks to as its world champion to be. However neither driver has exhibited the consistency required to achieve that, yet.

Vettel can be forgiven because he is still inexperienced to some degree - but Webber has been around for a long time and he knows this is his best opportunity. If he moved to Ferrari it would be most improbable with Alonso around.

Last year in Turkey, Vettel won pole and Webber was fourth - they both go well at that track.

The question of the coming weekend will be: is Webber going to beat Vettel for a THIRD grand prix and have an answer to whatever the German does?

A new chassis for Vettel - he is consistently quicker - or beats the Australian by a wide margin for pole, and Webber's stock will plummet. The talk will be that it was much more out-engineering than any out-driving that had Vettel beaten.

Saint Devote
23rd May 2010, 16:52
As much as I would like to see Kettel dominated by Webbo' There is in my opinion validity to this report.
It would seem to me that it would be in RBR best interest to just change the chassis and get on with it. Is Fettel's ego so fragile that the team has to make sure the public knows their #1 has a good excuse for his teammate giving him a couple of beat-downs in a row? This sounds like the ridiculous utterances' that Bernie likes to make.

At any rate it feeds the trolls, and we don't need hungry trolls menacing the perfectly logical discussions that this forum is endowed with :)

You really believe that RBR would spin a lie? Saying it MAY be a damaged chassis and then actually declaring it so and providing another chassis for Vettel is something entirely different.

And why not be open about it? If it was the case then Vettel's reputation is undamaged, if it is the case and Webber continues to beat him, it will be an amazing boost to the rating of Webber.

And it makes it the STORY of the Turkish weekend. Qualifying is going to be a real cracker.

Tazio
23rd May 2010, 18:47
And it makes it the STORY of the Turkish weekend. Qualifying is going to be a real cracker. Hey Bernie change your screen name your confuusing me :confused:
Some of us just like to watch the racing!
Some of us are legitamatly interested in the competition.
Some of us don't give a r@t's @$$ about the tabloid aspect if the show!
Something you will never understand, and regrettably it is our loss.
It's a good thing I don't have to buy in on any of that B.S. :devil:

Saint Devote
23rd May 2010, 19:05
Hey Bernie change your screen name your confuusing me :confused:
Some of us just like to watch the racing!
Some of us are legitamatly interested in the competition.
Some of us don't give a r@t's @$$ about the tabloid aspect if the show!
Something you will never understand, and regrettably it is our loss.
It's a good thing I don't have to buy in on any of that B.S. :devil:

Before anyone races, they are required to qualify.

The driver that usually qualifies quicker than their teammate is considered the quicker driver.

The driver in front of another driver has an advantage at the start.

If it is so unimportant to you why did you respond, and in a very amateurish disrepectful way I might add, to my post?

In future, if you do post, we will not expect you to make any comment on qualifying either, seeing that it is irrelevant to you.

Lastly, maybe you have witnessed just how excited the pole winning driver is compared to his teammate who qualifies second.

Contrary to your view, to those who love motor racing including the racing teams and the drivers, qualifying is indeed extremely important for its own sake and the race.

Tazio
23rd May 2010, 19:10
Before anyone races, they are required to qualify.

The driver that usually qualifies quicker than their teammate is considered the quicker driver.

The driver in front of another driver has an advantage at the start.

If it is so unimportant to you why did you respond, and in a very amateurish disrepectful way I might add, to my post?

In future, if you do post, we will not expect you to make any comment on qualifying either, seeing that it is irrelevant to you.

Lastly, maybe you have witnessed just how excited the pole winning driver is compared to his teammate who qualifies second.

Contrary to your view, to those who love motor racing including the racing teams and the drivers, qualifying is indeed extremely important for its own sake and the race.And that has what to do with anything I posted?
I love the smell of sour grapes in the morning!
It smells like victory!

BTW I consider quali part of the competition Bernie!

Saint Devote
23rd May 2010, 19:26
And that has what to do with anything I posted?
I love the smell of sour grapes in the morning!
It smells like victory!

BTW I consider quali part of the competition Bernie!

A troll will always be a troll - how true, tiwitt, tiwoo!

'Twas brillig......

Big Ben
23rd May 2010, 20:55

don´t mess with the pros tazio. So how is it to be a professional poster sainty? do they pay for the letter? Is that why your posts so so long? Are there any vacancies? What do you need for the job? Is a dictionary enough?

Saint Devote
23rd May 2010, 21:16
don´t mess with the pros tazio. So how is it to be a professional poster sainty? do they pay for the letter? Is that why your posts so so long? Are there any vacancies? What do you need for the job? Is a dictionary enough?

Yeah buddy boy - I get paid in real money, dollars not Euro's.

Saint Devote
23rd May 2010, 23:18
This is another track that Massa flies at when he has a good car and it has to be the race he begins to answer the challenge of Alonso.

Three pole positions and three wins in succession - this is another great story alongside the RBR one.

And in 2006 Felipe was so very ecstatic when he won pole because it was his first.

And what better way to answer Ferrari if he trumps Alonso and as I expect, Vettel beats Webber.

airshifter
24th May 2010, 01:02

Sometimes it does make you wonder what the PR people are thinking. They could have just fixed the chassis and gone from there. If Vettel once again started beating Mark, they could then explain the problem to save face for Webber.

As it stands now if Vettel doens't do better than Webber everyone will think he is a loser being outraced, and the excuses were already used up.

Tazio
24th May 2010, 03:04
Sometimes it does make you wonder what the PR people are thinking. They could have just fixed the chassis and gone from there. If Vettel once again started beating Mark, they could then explain the problem to save face for Webber.

As it stands now if Vettel doens't do better than Webber everyone will think he is a loser being outraced, and the excuses were already used up.

Bingo!

Saint Devote
24th May 2010, 10:39
Vettel with a fully functioning chassis is going to be in a mindset to take no prisioners.

I expect him to dominate this comiing weekend.

Mia 01
24th May 2010, 11:58
Vettel with a fully functioning chassis is going to be in a mindset to take no prisioners.

I expect him to dominate this comiing weekend.

Agreed, this is very likely.

F1boat
24th May 2010, 13:06
We'll see. I am not sure that his car was so damaged. IMO he was genuinely beaten by Webber and I think that Mark can strike again.

ioan
25th May 2010, 19:07
I expect Nico to regain his form over the cheater

Looks like most of the haters are out of the bushes again! :laugh:

jens
25th May 2010, 21:44
The chassis argument was used in the case of Schumacher as well and his form has slightly improved since the Spanish Grand Prix. So we will see, what can Vettel do from now onwards, but it has been quite unusual to see him being so comprehensively outpaced by his team-mate for two weekends in a row.

fandango
25th May 2010, 21:56
I actually think that the new chassis story will provide Webber with the motivation he needs to stay focused and make his lead stick. In Spain and Monaco he was on another level, and I suspect he's found his groove.

Vettel's the one under pressure. Beaten by Webber, the team give him a new chassis, so now he really HAS to get it together.

ioan
25th May 2010, 23:19
Vettel's the one under pressure. Beaten by Webber, the team give him a new chassis, so now he really HAS to get it together.

Webber already used a 2nd chassis this season too.

i_max2k2
25th May 2010, 23:27
Webber already used a 2nd chassis this season too.

This weekend will be very interesting for a host of reasons,

Schumi-Rosberg -this will be rosbergs 2nd chance to avenge spain, coz i don't think a gifted 7th place really equals what happened with him in Spain.

Massa-Alonso - Prolly Massa's favorite circuit after lagos, and about time, he proved he's not alonso b!tch,

Webber-Vettel - lets see who would be the faster of the two, without excuses :D

Btw guys, is their any site paid or not which has really good coverage for US? I wish I was in UK for the free BBC feed :p

Saint Devote
26th May 2010, 00:51
First of all, there was a FAULT found with Schumi's chassis and thats why it was replaced.

Secondly, the lengthening of the wheelbase was NOT done to please Schumi but because it is superior to a short wheelbase.

Simply because it allows Schumi and his engineers to dial it better towards the massive oversteering front and extremely loose rearend does not add up to favoring him.

So all this talk about how hard done by Nico is and there goes Schumi again pushing everyone around - and I would love to see Nico win - is just utter nonsense.

The Schumi haters would love that to be the case no doubt. The truth is that Schumi is is just THAT good and the way he drives is still superb.

Give him credit.

Saint Devote
26th May 2010, 10:46
Do you know what the fault was? I haven't heard that reported.

Schuey is no doubt a very good driver but apart from a good defensive drive at Catalunya, I haven't seen much relating to his past brilliance. Now the dust has settled and his reputation as being the best adaptation driver in the history of the sport has been demoted down the list of his fans favourite phrases, we have so far seen a great driver struggle in his comback. I still think he lacks the edge he once had, but I would love to see him head to head with the like of Hamilton on a competitive basis... :)

During the flyaway races there was some damage according to Ross Brawn and they had to repair the chassis and then upgraded to the more efficient longer wheelbase car. I have no idea what the damage was - maybe there was a crack and it was flexing??

I dont know about this "best ever" stuff, but certainly he did raise the standards of both the technical involvement of a driver - begun by Lauda - and fitness levels.

Fickle fans are not important and probablt do not understand what Schumi does anyway.

He is competitive with all the drivers, nothing "special" about Hamilton or any of the other top drivers - relative to each other. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

fandango
26th May 2010, 10:52
Do you know what the fault was? ......

wasn't fast enough ;)

Saint Devote
26th May 2010, 10:56
wasn't fast enough ;)

You can pick up time through turn 8 :D

UltimateDanGTR
26th May 2010, 13:09
Theres too many "fanboys" (god I hate that word) that need hosing down.. :p

Hands up who would like to see the words "hater" and "fanboy" added to the swear list?? :D :up:

me please.

too many people talk about mclaren and especially lewis fans as 'fanboys', which sounds like a male superfan of the jonas brothers. this also apparently means these people are 'haters' of ferrari.

down with these words!

SGWilko
26th May 2010, 14:36
me please.

too many people talk about mclaren and especially lewis fans as 'fanboys', which sounds like a male superfan of the jonas brothers. this also apparently means these people are 'haters' of ferrari.

down with these words!

Are fanboys not those poorly paid lads you see in films depicting the British Empire that would fan the raja, or suchlike?

Tazio
26th May 2010, 15:49
Are fanboys not those poorly paid lads you see in films depicting the British Empire that would fan the raja, or suchlike?Do you mean with a voice like the character Joel Cairo (Peter Lorre)
in "The Maltese Falcon",
that have a single line in the film.
Something to the effect of:
"Yes Sahib" ;)

i_max2k2
26th May 2010, 16:57
Well I don't see how people still have issues seeing Michael struggle with a F-1 car, which he is driving after 3 years, he is 6 races down, but the last 2 rounds, he has been pretty much even with Nico. If we just look into last season, and see how badly Fischicella struggled with Ferrari, having been driving a Force India, and Never been out of F1, I say after 4 races Michael is doing alright, perhaps pretty good for the slower merc, except China, his races in the rest of the GP's was pretty good as well. Lot of races still to go, and lets see how he goes from here.

Saint Devote
28th May 2010, 00:53
Is Johnny Herbert ready for the possibility of hate-mail should he make a decision either favoring or not any incident involving Schumi.

I reckon that from the first lap out Sebastian Vettel is going to dominate with his new girl - randy mandy :-]

Behind him the quickest man in f1 Kubica could be the surprise.

It is time for Massa to dial himself into the track he woned for three years - should Alonso trounce him soundly here, then it is time for the delicate Brazilian to find the courage to move to another team. I dont think he has that at all. Felipe, you have already DONE the Ferrari thing and so long that Alonso is there, deluding yourself that you will get another 2008 is not on.

race_director
28th May 2010, 00:56
Go Schumi Go.

race_director
28th May 2010, 00:58
Is Johnny Herbert ready for the possibility of hate-mail should he make a decision either favoring or not any incident involving Schumi.

I reckon that from the first lap out Sebastian Vettel is going to dominate with his new girl - randy mandy :-]

Behind him the quickest man in f1 Kubica could be the surprise.

It is time for Massa to dial himself into the track he woned for three years - should Alonso trounce him soundly here, then it is time for the delicate Brazilian to find the courage to move to another team. I dont think he has that at all. Felipe, you have already DONE the Ferrari thing and so long that Alonso is there, deluding yourself that you will get another 2008 is not on.

keep dreaming saint. u can dream as much as u want .

Saint Devote
28th May 2010, 01:01
keep dreaming saint. u can dream as much as u want .

Come on man, dont be vague, speak up! Dreaming about what?

markabilly
28th May 2010, 02:47
i wonder if moren than 9,000 spectators will show up for this race, like last year....

gloomyDAY
28th May 2010, 05:12
i wonder if moren than 9,000 spectators will show up for this race, like last year.... :D I bet there were more stray dogs than spectators.

Roamy
28th May 2010, 07:23
I have never been in the bushes on this guy :)

Roamy
28th May 2010, 07:27
i wonder if moren than 9,000 spectators will show up for this race, like last year....

are you surprised
maybe bernie can sign up the F1 race in afghanistan. They could run it through the mountains so bin laden could watch and EKI could hold Bin's cane.
They could call it "rockin with the poppy"

Roamy
28th May 2010, 07:31
Alonso KNOWS he is the fastest man in F1

CaptainRaiden
28th May 2010, 10:52
Hamilton 1 second faster than Button in the opening practice. :eek: I know it's practice, still, and he's pretty close to last year's pole time. I expect the times to drop by over one or two seconds by qualifying?

1 L. Hamilton McLaren 1:28.653 20
2 J. Button McLaren 1:29.615 20
3 M. Schumacher Mercedes Grand Prix 1:29.750 24
4 N. Rosberg Mercedes Grand Prix 1:29.855 24
5 S. Vettel Red Bull 1:29.867 30
6 R. Kubica Renault 1:30.061 23
7 V. Petrov Renault 1:30.065 24
8 M. Webber Red Bull 1:30.097 26
9 F. Alonso Ferrari 1:30.294 20
10 A. Sutil Force India F1 1:30.501 17
11 K. Kobayashi Sauber 1:30.615 20
12 V. Liuzzi Force India F1 1:30.853 21
13 F. Massa Ferrari 1:30.867 22
14 S. Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:31.011 24
15 P. de la Rosa Sauber 1:31.238 18
16 N. Hülkenberg Williams 1:31.355 23
17 R. Barrichello Williams 1:31.464 19
18 J. Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:31.735 27
19 H. Kovalainen Lotus F1 1:32.161 24
20 J. Trulli Lotus F1 1:32.990 23
21 K. Chandhok HRT F1 Team 1:34.876 13
22 L. Di Grassi Virgin Racing 1:35.137 21
23 T. Glock Virgin Racing 1:35.583 15
24 S. Yamamoto HRT F1 Team 1:36.137 26

Saint Devote
28th May 2010, 11:42
Ross Brawn believes the quickest man in F1 is Lewis Hamilton.. ;)

I have no idea what Ross thinks.

Place Kubica in a competitive car - Hamilton [wearing earings this weekend - god whats next - a boyfriend or even worse given his "beardy look" he is becoming a hip-hop "urban" and will tatoo himself with the letters "MOB"?] has always had the resources of Mclaren.

Saint Devote
28th May 2010, 11:47
Its practice- but Jense and Hamilton were trading first place during FP1.

Schumi right up there and Webber behind Vettel.

Early in the GP weekend but happy to see Mclaren UP there rather than DOWN there.

Saint Devote
28th May 2010, 11:48

And you know this how?

Saint Devote
28th May 2010, 11:59
Well he would. He was his teammate in 2007.. Sorry couldn't resist.. :p

The tyres had a lot to do with that - the switch to Bridgestones for El Nano after Hamilton had thousands of miles on them was not insignificant to say the least.

Unfortunately with no tyre war, drivers these days are open to the vagaries of the tyres they are dictated to drive on.

CaptainRaiden
28th May 2010, 12:36
Hamilton [wearing earings this weekend - god whats next - a boyfriend or even worse given his "beardy look" he is becoming a hip-hop "urban" and will tatoo himself with the letters "MOB"?]

So, now you have a problem with his appearance? Didn't know people were this interested in what drivers wear and how they "look". :eek: I thought F1 was about racing and cars? :confused: Getting much work done out of the Schumacher-Button poster on your wall, dressed in latest Armani suits giving each other a "brotherly" hug? ;)

CaptainRaiden
28th May 2010, 12:47
The tyres had a lot to do with that - the switch to Bridgestones for El Nano after Hamilton had thousands of miles on them was not insignificant to say the least.

I'm sorry but this is the lamest excuse I have seen in a LONG time. First of all, the GP2 series didn't use the exact same spec Bridgestone tires as were used in F1. Second, Alonso was driving F1 cars since 2001, was a two time champion, and 2007 was Hamilton's FIRST YEAR driving an "F1 Car" full season, and he still beat him, albeit using Alonso's setups. But then what does that say about Alonso, if a rookie can beat him in the same car, using the same setup?

I don't know why people can't see or won't admit beyond their hatred that Lewis Hamilton is quite possibly the fastest and most naturally talented driver in F1 today. I'm not a Hamilton fan (too whiny for me), and even I admit this! Stop living in denial, jeez.

Big Ben
28th May 2010, 13:00
I'm sorry but this is the lamest excuse I have seen in a LONG time. First of all, the GP2 series didn't use the exact same spec Bridgestone tires as were used in F1. Second, Alonso was driving F1 cars since 2001, was a two time champion, and 2007 was Hamilton's FIRST YEAR driving an "F1 Car" full season, and he still beat him, albeit using Alonso's setups. But then what does that say about Alonso, if a rookie can beat him in the same car, using the same setup?

I don't know why people can't see or won't admit beyond their hatred that Lewis Hamilton is quite possibly the fastest and most naturally talented driver in F1 today. I'm not a Hamilton fan (too whiny for me), and even I admit this! Stop living in denial, jeez.

I thought FA said himself he's not the fastest driver around.

RJL25
28th May 2010, 13:27
Vettel has an F-duct and Webber doesn't... they are saying it's just for "back to back testing" but if it stays that way for the entire weekend and webber isn't given an f-duct too could this be seen as favoritism?

Or, could it be that Vettel's chassis actually wasn't damaged and the new chassis was just needed to fit the f-duct and Horner is just saying that "oh yes we found a defect on seb's old chassis" just to shut him up about "its not my fault webber is smashing me, its the car! honest!"

AndyL
28th May 2010, 13:52

I remember seeing an interview last year where he himself claimed he's not the fastest or most talented driver!

Roamy
28th May 2010, 15:28
I remember seeing an interview last year where he himself claimed he's not the fastest or most talented driver!

ever? he would be correct

Gilles and Senna come to mind.

AndyL
28th May 2010, 15:33
No I believe he meant currently, though I don't recall the exact words of the interview. I do remember it struck me at the time as a surprising display of modesty.

Tazio
28th May 2010, 18:58
Second Practice
Friday, 28 May 2010
Position Country Driver Car number Team Fastest Lap
1 great britain Jenson Button 1 McLaren-Mercedes 1:28.280
2 australia Mark Webber 6 Red Bull-Renault 1:28.378
3 germany Sebastian Vettel 5 Red Bull-Renault 1:28.590
4 great britain Lewis Hamilton 2 McLaren-Mercedes 1:28.672
5 spain Fernando Alonso 8 Ferrari 1:28.725
6 germany Nico Rosberg 4 Mercedes GP 1:28.914
7 germany Michael Schumacher 3 Mercedes GP 1:28.974
8 poland Robert Kubica 11 Renault 1:29.225
9 russia Vitaly Petrov 12 Renault 1:29.501
10 brazil Felipe Massa 7 Ferrari 1:29.620
11 germany Adrian Sutil 14 Force India-Mercedes 1:29.629
12 germany Nico Hulkenberg 10 Williams-Cosworth 1:29.987
13 japan Kamui Kobayashi 23 BMW Sauber-Ferrari 1:30.053
14 spain Pedro de la Rosa 22 BMW Sauber-Ferrari 1:30.176
15 switzerland Sebastien Buemi 16 Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:30.386
16 italy Vitantonio Liuzzi 15 Force India-Mercedes 1:30.627
17 brazil Rubens Barrichello 9 Williams-Cosworth 1:30.766
18 spain Jaime Alguersuari 17 Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:30.933
19 finland Heikki Kovalainen 19 Lotus-Cosworth 1:31.610
20 brazil Lucas di Grassi 25 Virgin-Cosworth 1:33.013
21 italy Jarno Trulli 18 Lotus-Cosworth 1:33.081
22 germany Timo Glock 24 Virgin-Cosworth 1:33.312
23 brazil Bruno Senna 21 Hispania-Cosworth 1:33.420
24 india Karun Chandhok 20 Hispania-Cosworth 1:33.740

ioan
28th May 2010, 20:50
Well he would. He was his teammate in 2007.. Sorry couldn't resist.. :p

:rotflmao: Good one! :up:

ioan
28th May 2010, 20:53
Vettel has an F-duct and Webber doesn't... they are saying it's just for "back to back testing" but if it stays that way for the entire weekend and webber isn't given an f-duct too could this be seen as favoritism?

Only if you are from down under.

ShiftingGears
29th May 2010, 00:35

No. He said in the current field of drivers.

RJL25
29th May 2010, 01:50
Only if you are from down under.

If you give the f-duct that is supposed to give you a significant speed advantage to one driver and not the other, how is it anything other then favoritism?

AndyL
29th May 2010, 12:35
We finally got an answer to why the F-duct is so called... Martin Brundle just pointed out that the intake is on the f of Vodafone.

ioan
29th May 2010, 12:53
Looks like Felipe stole Alonso's 6 tenths! :D

ioan
29th May 2010, 12:53
Great performance by Kobayashi!

ioan
29th May 2010, 13:14
And Schumacher with a mistake that ends everyone's qualifying.
I'm looking forward to see some accusing him of doing it on purpose! :D

ST205GT4
29th May 2010, 13:18
Schumacher did it on purpose :)

What do RB replace for Vettel to increase his performance now? Webber?

DexDexter
29th May 2010, 13:21

Yep he did, but the drivers are not the problem, the car is just not up to it. By the way, the drivers were not the problem last year either and it's becoming pretty evident that Alonso (a great driver) is not giving the team that much additional value over what they had last year. I wonder who they are going to blame this time....

F1boat
29th May 2010, 13:31
Well done for Mark. He is in his prime now, his performance is amazing...

ioan
29th May 2010, 13:37
Yep he did, but the drivers are not the problem, the car is just not up to it. ... I wonder who they are going to blame this time....

Felipe.

ioan
29th May 2010, 13:38

Vettel made a mistake on his last lap, no need to replace anything.

ST205GT4
29th May 2010, 13:44
Seems the sarcasm went over your head.

i_max2k2
29th May 2010, 13:46
Good qualifying, and I loved the fact that Webber is on pole again, Vettel understandably was frustrated, but because of his own mistake, very similar for Alonso, twice in a row for qualifying. It would be interesting to hear rosberg's comments on his teammates spin, and if that hampered his flying lap. But finally it seems if we have a clean start, Michael could get a podium, but he is surely getting there :D

ioan
29th May 2010, 14:18
Seems the sarcasm went over your head.

Because your sarcasm wasn't there.

SGWilko
29th May 2010, 14:30

You realise, don't you, that Alonso's so called 6/10ths is as real as rocking horse poo and hen's teeth.

I suspect whoever heard Alonso say that, actually heard a rather long and loud fart from Fred's butt that happened to sound like I'm 6/10ths faster.

In fact, if That's Life were still on the telly, it would be included with the dog that can say sausages.....

In short - BS.

ST205GT4
29th May 2010, 14:47
Because your sarcasm wasn't there.

No because you're a ****wit.

I'll take the ban thanks Pino. Worth it.

markabilly
29th May 2010, 15:27

Just say 21 "Hail Ioans" then go and sin no more...

although calling him a fastwit, is more of a compliment than he usually gets :D

gloomyDAY
29th May 2010, 16:36
Man, I've never seen Vettel look this pissed.

http://cdn.images.autosport.com/editorial/1275136273.jpg

jens
29th May 2010, 17:36
Red Bull's mysterious qualifying speed has almost disappeared! :eek: But Vettel really needs to find another gear asap to keep his reputation. Another trend visible from the Spanish GP onwards has carried on - McLaren consistently improving and Ferrari going backwards on aero-circuits. Alonso was once again mistake-prone - it's not often we seem him having an off-day, so that was one occasion. Considering the trends so far this season Mercedes should be satisfied - Schumi and Rosberg have been basically on a similar level on the last two race weekends, so an interesting battle emerging from there.

It was about time Petrov finally had a good qualifying. On those circuits, where Sauber has been more competitive and worthy of Q3, Kobayashi has also been impressing. It's probably a matter of time before he opens his point-score if only that car stayed in one piece... Considering that Alguersuari has also put in some impressive drives, the ball is now in the hands of Hülkenberg among rookies to finally start showing something as well...

If at Monaco it may have looked like the circuit characteristics suited Lotus, then on a bit longer and more 'common' circuit they also showed progress - 1.3 secs behind the car in front. But it is also worth adding that the performances of Lotus are probably helped by the fact that they have one of the best pairs of qualifying drivers in the whole field.

UltimateDanGTR
29th May 2010, 17:40
Man, I've never seen Vettel look this pissed.

http://cdn.images.autosport.com/editorial/1275136273.jpg

pissed at himself I'd bet. he knows he could have done better.

I will ask this of tomorrow: what amazing bit of good luck will befall Alonso tomorrow then? he seems to have a nack this year of cocking it up for himself, and then somehow getting a lovely bit of luck and scoring good points.

as for the rest, I will pray the mclarens dont get jumped on the dirty side of the track, which could easily happen.

truefan72
29th May 2010, 18:26
I'm keeping my fingers crossed Lewis gets the better of Webber at the start. The Red Bulls are still fast but the gap has been closed slightly by Mclaren and hopefully we'll have an exciting race with a challenge for the lead thrown into the mix. :)

me too

truefan72
29th May 2010, 18:29
Red Bull's mysterious qualifying speed has almost disappeared! :eek: But Vettel really needs to find another gear asap to keep his reputation. Another trend visible from the Spanish GP onwards has carried on - McLaren consistently improving and Ferrari going backwards on aero-circuits. Alonso was once again mistake-prone - it's not often we seem him having an off-day, so that was one occasion. Considering the trends so far this season Mercedes should be satisfied - Schumi and Rosberg have been basically on a similar level on the last two race weekends, so an interesting battle emerging from there.

It was about time Petrov finally had a good qualifying. On those circuits, where Sauber has been more competitive and worthy of Q3, Kobayashi has also been impressing. It's probably a matter of time before he opens his point-score if only that car stayed in one piece... Considering that Alguersuari has also put in some impressive drives, the ball is now in the hands of Hülkenberg among rookies to finally start showing something as well...

If at Monaco it may have looked like the circuit characteristics suited Lotus, then on a bit longer and more 'common' circuit they also showed progress - 1.3 secs behind the car in front. But it is also worth adding that the performances of Lotus are probably helped by the fact that they have one of the best pairs of qualifying drivers in the whole field.

my thoughts exactly :up:

ioan
29th May 2010, 18:36

:down:

ioan
29th May 2010, 18:38
Red Bull's mysterious qualifying speed has almost disappeared! :eek: But Vettel really needs to find another gear asap to keep his reputation.

He was 0.4 seconds faster than anyone in Q2, how much faster does he need to be?! :confused:

BTW his botched 2nd try in Q3 was down to a rollbar failure.

ioan
29th May 2010, 18:40
I'm keeping my fingers crossed Lewis gets the better of Webber at the start.

He's starting on the dirty side of the track so fairly difficult to achieve, but who knows, maybe Webber screws the start.

Tazio
29th May 2010, 18:55
pissed at himself I'd bet. he knows he could have done better.

I will ask this of tomorrow: what amazing bit of good luck will befall Alonso tomorrow then? he seems to have a nack this year of cocking it up for himself, and then somehow getting a lovely bit of luck and scoring good points.

as for the rest, I will pray the mclarens dont get jumped on the dirty side of the track, which could easily happen.

This week it will be him starting on primes while the rows ahead of him are on options. If he runs a smart race, he can use hards for a normal cycle, and hold on to (I'm guessing about P6 or p7) while thrashing his options ;)

UltimateDanGTR
29th May 2010, 21:14
This week it will be him starting on primes while the rows ahead of him are on options. If he runs a smart race, he can use hards for a normal cycle, and hold on to (I'm guessing about P6 or p7) while thrashing his options ;)

you've got it all worked out tazio, almost as if you worked for ferrari :)

was it you who suggested pitting alonso really early at monaco two weeks ago? i forget, but whoever said it was exactly right-they did it and it worked a treat (hulkenburg with the timely crash)

alonso has strategic advantage over the back end-of-the-top-10, so his will be an intriguing race to follow tomorrow.

even if I don't want him to do well :p

ioan
29th May 2010, 22:11
He was 0.4 seconds faster than anyone in Q2, how much faster does he need to be?! :confused:

BTW his botched 2nd try in Q3 was down to a rollbar failure.

Confirmed:

Team principal Christian Horner said: "It looks like it was the roll-bar linkage. With no control over the roll of the car, as soon you turn in the car just rolls over. So he just locked the inside front wheel as it stuck up in the air."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84006

Tazio
30th May 2010, 00:04
you've got it all worked out tazio, almost as if you worked for ferrari :)

was it you who suggested pitting alonso really early at monaco two weeks ago? i forget, but whoever said it was exactly right-they did it and it worked a treat (hulkenburg with the timely crash)

alonso has strategic advantage over the back end-of-the-top-10, so his will be an intriguing race to follow tomorrow.

even if I don't want him to do well :p I think a big key will be if "The Boss" some how jumps Mark. As his softs go off he will probably be keeping both RB's from running away. Even if he just holds onto 2nd It will be only webber running away. A lot could happen to hurt Freds chaces for a decent result One:
He is too far behind the front runners when they pit to make my prvious scnario work! or
2: "The Boss" may actually be able to manage his tyres better than has been the character of the McL' and all 4 top runners run away from the rest of the cars. I think that Massa and Fred will both need luck to improve their lot. But their race pace and tyre wear advantage is a very good combination in race trim. But tTe very poor qualifying by both of them is going to be hard to overcome, and yes they will need some luck!
We shall see.

Hawkmoon
30th May 2010, 02:15
ioan, how about a little credit where it's due? Webber is driving extemely well at the moment.

First Vettel had a "broken" chassis which supposedly explained his being beaten in Spain and Monaco. That was fixed and now it's a roll bar failure in Turkey that has caused Vettel to fail to match Webber. If they replace the roll bar for the race and Webber still kicks Vettels arse, what then? Will it simply be a case of Webber being faster or will there be some other mysterious issue affecting the German's car?

I'm no Webber fan despite being Australian myself. He drives for the wrong team and I want to see him lose just like all the rest of the non-Ferrari drivers. But like Rosberg and Button he deserves credit for beating his more highly rated teammate.

It's really no different to Massa beating Raikkonen.

Roamy
30th May 2010, 03:03
yea hawkmoon seb will have to "pitpass" him if he is go get by. I think webber is the fastest beanpole in F1 history if I am correct.

Valve Bounce
30th May 2010, 03:15

He's going to ask Lewis about those ear piercings. :p :

Valve Bounce
30th May 2010, 03:21
I thought FA said himself he's not the fastest driver around.

He isn't. No! that would be me. :)

Valve Bounce
30th May 2010, 03:29
I'm keeping my fingers crossed Lewis gets the better of Webber at the start. The Red Bulls are still fast but the gap has been closed slightly by Mclaren and hopefully we'll have an exciting race with a challenge for the lead thrown into the mix. :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Lewis gets jumped by Bunsen - that would make my day!

Saint Devote
30th May 2010, 05:31
Just superb for Mark Webber - I am truly delighted for him and I was happily wrong!

BUT - I am really beginning to believe that RBR are seeking excuses or reasons why Vettel is being beaten. Now its his roll bar.

Quite honestly - I do not believe RBR.

I do think that the RBR managment are actually upset that their precious Sebastian is getting his rear end kicked by the Aussie.

Saint Devote
30th May 2010, 05:41

Eh? That girlie boy with the earings wants to do WHAT mate?!
I'll soon have his wheels off! :vader:

Lulu appears to be extremely hard on his tyres this weekend and he may just be his own worst enemy in the grand prix tommorrow.

If not Jense I am hoping for a Webber victory - there is not a driver in the field who deserves this time more.

Sonic
30th May 2010, 07:30
I do believe RBR when they say that Vettel had a roll bar issue in his last run, but tbh Mark had had an answer for Seb all weekend (and the last handful of races too) so I didn't expect Seb to suddenly jump to the front.

Big Ben
30th May 2010, 08:26
And Schumacher with a mistake that ends everyone's qualifying.
I'm looking forward to see some accusing him of doing it on purpose! :D

Why? He was having that fake surprise on his face again?

Garry Walker
30th May 2010, 09:26
Hamilton [wearing earings this weekend - god whats next - a boyfriend

No, that is something more up BUTTons alley :D

Gilles and Senna come to mind.

Gilles? What a joke.

Just superb for Mark Webber - I am truly delighted for him and I was happily wrong!

BUT - I am really beginning to believe that RBR are seeking excuses or reasons why Vettel is being beaten. Now its his roll bar.

Quite honestly - I do not believe RBR.

I hate vettel, but look at the video of the qualy. It was obvious there was a problem.

I do think that the RBR managment are actually upset that their precious Sebastian is getting his rear end kicked by the Aussie.

That I agree with. Vettel is their precious and him getting beaten was not in the plan.

rohanweb
30th May 2010, 09:45
seemslike some politic going on at RB..that how come SEB's car always having issues? hmmm something to think about, may be the case that Mark Webber is seeing off his last few years and aussie govt desperately wants to make him a champion, christian Hohner probably been bribed to slowdown seb at anycost...oh whatever !!! senastian vettel is increasingly looking well annoyed and it isnt looking so good 'team spirit' in the RB garage is it?

hmmm today I wish Lewis H to beat that mark webber outright to win the race, he can do it.... it was nearly a second off RB pace couple of races ago..then 0.4sec at monaco and now its just 1/10sec sounds really good for mclaren specially Lewis.

Go Lewis !! the bnp nationalfront idiot mum fu@ers can go to hell.

ioan
30th May 2010, 11:35
ioan, how about a little credit where it's due? Webber is driving extemely well at the moment.

Where did I say that Webber isn't driving extemely well at the moment?

First Vettel had a "broken" chassis which supposedly explained his being beaten in Spain and Monaco. That was fixed and now it's a roll bar failure in Turkey that has caused Vettel to fail to match Webber. If they replace the roll bar for the race and Webber still kicks Vettels arse, what then? Will it simply be a case of Webber being faster or will there be some other mysterious issue affecting the German's car?

You're being biased there.
Do you know better than the team exactly what went wrong with Vettel's car?

I'm no Webber fan despite being Australian myself. He drives for the wrong team and I want to see him lose just like all the rest of the non-Ferrari drivers. But like Rosberg and Button he deserves credit for beating his more highly rated teammate.

It's really no different to Massa beating Raikkonen.

Again I didn't say Webber is not driving great right now.
All I did was post that Vettel was very fast in Q2 and that in Q3 he suffered a roll bar failure, as reported by the team, as we all saw him lose 0.7 seconds in the last sector of his first attempt. And I posted this only to reply to people who were denigrating Vettel and not because I felt the need to belittle Webber's achievement.

ioan
30th May 2010, 11:38
Hamilton [wearing earings this weekend - god whats next - a boyfriend ...

Now that Jenson gave up on his Jessica maybe Lewis can start something with him?! :p :

ioan
30th May 2010, 11:40
Gilles? What a joke.

Seconded, even his son achieved much more during his racing career.

I hate vettel, but look at the video of the qualy. It was obvious there was a problem.

Good to see objectivity. :up:

That I agree with. Vettel is their precious and him getting beaten was not in the plan.

They probably know more than us about their drivers. Seb had several mechanical failures during races still he is up there with Mark because he drove around problems when does arose. Probably this is highly valued by the team.

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 11:50
Now that Jenson gave up on his Jessica maybe Lewis can start something with him?! :p :

A guy wears earings, and the stereotype is to label him an 'uphill gardener'. :down:

markabilly
30th May 2010, 12:03
A guy wears earings, and the stereotype is to label him an 'uphill gardener'. :down:

yeah get real,, dudes,

we all know that Sutile has that title all nailed up...err.....strapped on....err....I mean in his hands...errr.... :dozey:

ioan
30th May 2010, 13:43
Both Ferrari and McLaren suck at strategy.
How on earth can you bring your driver in on the same lap as your direct competitors?! Do they really believe that they can change wheels 1 second faster than the others?! :\

ioan
30th May 2010, 13:44
:eek: Heiki is racing Rubens!

nigelred5
30th May 2010, 13:46
Oh come on director! Leaving for one of 700 NASCAR commercials just as Hamilton is attempting a pass for position? Hold the commercial a lousy 30 seconds.

Come on rain :)

Valve Bounce
30th May 2010, 13:49
Rain in 9 minutes

ShiftingGears
30th May 2010, 13:49
Both Ferrari and McLaren suck at strategy.
How on earth can you bring your driver in on the same lap as your direct competitors?! Do they really believe that they can change wheels 1 second faster than the others?! :\

McLaren's problem was being too predictable. Once they got their pit gear out for Hamilton, RBR reacted and brought Webber in immediately. If McLaren brought their gear out and let Hamilton go for another lap, it could've been a different story.

ioan
30th May 2010, 14:15
Webber you idiot! Give some place to your team mate.

ShiftingGears
30th May 2010, 14:16
Vettel!!

ShiftingGears
30th May 2010, 14:16

Vettel turned across. 100% to blame.

Garry Walker
30th May 2010, 14:17

Webber gave room. Vettel turned into Webber.

100% Vettel fault in this incident.

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 14:18
Webber gave room. Vettel turned into Webber.

100% Vettel fault in this incident.

Yep, Vettel = MORON.

End of.

nigelred5
30th May 2010, 14:18
What a flipping moron.

Daniel
30th May 2010, 14:19
I agree with Ioan here. Sure Vettel moved across a little but Webber had been passed and needed to use his brain and relinquish position. 60:40 blame with Webber mostly at fault.

Garry Walker
what an idiot vettel is really.

ioan
Webber gave room.

Where was the room there, they were running with interlocked wheels and Vettel was a couple inches from the grass.
You call that giving place?!

nigelred5
30th May 2010, 14:20
100% Vettel at fault.

Garry Walker
30th May 2010, 14:20
I agree with Ioan here. Sure Vettel moved across a little but Webber had been passed and needed to use his brain and relinquish position. 60:40 blame with Webber mostly at fault.

Webber held his line.
Vettel had enough room and decided to turn into webber when there was no room.
100% vettel fault

ioan
30th May 2010, 14:21

I would say nothing if it was between two different teams, but when both run with interlocked wheels and he keeps his team mate on the white line when they are going into the braking zone he is only to be blamed.

SGWilko

Rule No1 - never turn in on your teammate.

Simple concept - he'll grow up one day.

What an oik.

Garry Walker
Where was the room there, they were running with interlocked wheels and Vettel was a couple inches from the grass.
You call that giving place?!

Yes, there was enough room for Vettel. Why the hell did Vettel need to turn into webber when he was already ahead clearly?

You praised me for my objectivity earlier, now show some yourself.

nigelred5
If there's no room you don't pass ESpecially your teammate.

ioan
30th May 2010, 14:23
Webber held his line.
100% vettel fault

They were to brake in 100 meters what the **** was Webber thinking to do go straight or turn into Vettel?!

And this with a team mate?!

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 14:23

Words as wise as Ernie.

Garry Walker
30th May 2010, 14:24
They were to brake in 100 meters what the **** was Webber thinking to do go straight or turn into Vettel?!

What are you on about, vettel turned into Webber when there was no need for it. Sure, Webbo kept it tight, but can you explain why Vettel had to move to the right when Webber was already there? He had enough room on the inside, he just tried to force Webbo off, but misjudged.

Daniel
30th May 2010, 14:25

He was past him though..... there clearly was room.

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 14:25

Errrrrrrrr, watch the replays - both track and inboard. Webber keeps the line, Vettel turns the wheel towards Mark.

Vettel has some serious head issues right now.

Dr. Krogshöj
30th May 2010, 14:26
At least we know that McLaren's code for "No overtaking" is "Save some fuel, your teammate's doing the same".

EDIT: No we don't. I'm an idiot.

Daniel
30th May 2010, 14:26
Webber held his line.
100% vettel fault

You seem to be confusing what happened with what SHOULD have happened.

Sure Webber held his line, but that's what caused the accident ffs.

ioan
30th May 2010, 14:27

There was room and he had his car in front and also had the inner side to claim the corner, no need to keep him with interlocked wheel into the braking zone.

Take a look at how the 2 McLaren guys managed to give place to each other through a series of corners!

SGWilko
He was past him though..... there clearly was room.

So why try to take the same piece as track as that currently occupied by the other car?

Daniel
Errrrrrrrr, watch the replays - both track and inboard. Webber keeps the line, Vettel turns the wheel towards Mark.

Vettel has some serious head issues right now.

No **** sherlock, but Webber had been passed and should have relented.

ioan
30th May 2010, 14:28
At least we know that McLaren's code for "No overtaking" is "Save some fuel, your teammate's doing the same".

EDIT: No we don't. I'm an idiot.

That was great racing there. Webber should watch this after the race.

SGWilko
So why try to take the same piece as track as that currently occupied by the other car?

Ha ha ha - McLaren showing the Bull's how it's done...... :D

Daniel
By the same token, why not give your obviously faster team mate room and settle for 2nd rather than taking your team mate out and risking killing someone?

Garry Walker
You seem to be confusing what happened with what SHOULD have happened.

Sure Webber held his line, but that's what caused the accident ffs.
are you drunk?

If I am driving at the highway and holding my line and someone turns into me from another lane, who is at fault?

Daniel
30th May 2010, 14:29
:up:

Garry Walker
By the same token, why not give your obviously faster team mate room and settle for 2nd rather than taking your team mate out and risking killing someone?

ffs, he gave vettel enough room to make it through the corner, but Vettel went greedy when there was no need for it already and he was already past webbo.

Daniel
are you drunk?

If I am driving at the highway and holding my line and someone turns into me from another lane, who is at fault?
If you know that someone's turning in on you and you have space to move are you REALLY going to hold your line?

Garry Walker
30th May 2010, 14:30

No, vettel should learn from this how you dont turn into your teammates car.

SGWilko

I got banned once for the sherlock response - be careful.

It's Vettels job to get ahead, not Mark's to hand it to him on a plate.

That, Mr Watson, is what you call racing - hard though it may be to understand.....

nigelred5
I would love to heR what Whitmarsh was saying on the radio.

ioan

Ofcourse he should but acknowledging that his team mate was faster is not something that a crash prone driver would do. This remind me of some of his moves while driving for Williams when he destroyed trh race of other drivers on a regular basis.

Webber had to move left to take the corner but he chose not to do so for whatever stupid reason.

TMorel
30th May 2010, 14:31
Didn't Vettel weave a bit to intimidate Lewis too during an overtake earlier in the race?

Garry Walker
30th May 2010, 14:32
If you know that someone's turning in on you and you have space to move are you REALLY going to hold your line?

How was webber to know that vettel was going to turn into his car on the STRAIGHT?

Daniel
I got banned once for the sherlock response - be careful.

That, Mr Watson, is what you call racing - hard though it may be to understand.....
Thanks for the warning :)

Vettel was ahead. He was trying to make room for himself. He hardly chopped across violently. He moved across and you'd expect the driver behind to relent normally and he didn't. This is just a complete crock of poop. Webber is dangerous.

SGWilko

Funneeeee! Vettel took Mark out, not other way round.

Daniel
30th May 2010, 14:33
How was webber to know that vettel was going to turn into his car on the STRAIGHT?

My question was about YOUR driving rather than his. Would you really have an accident on purpose when there was room to move?

Garry Walker
30th May 2010, 14:33
Thanks for the warning :)

Vettel was ahead. He was trying to make room for himself. He hardly chopped across violently. He moved across and you'd expect the driver behind to relent normally and he didn't. This is just a complete crock of poop. Webber is dangerous.
There was no time for Webbo to relent. Besides, why do you have to relent anyways? If the guy in front wants to intimidate you and you arent intimidated and keep the throttle down, whats wrong with that?

Daniel
30th May 2010, 14:34
Funneeeee! Vettel took Mark out, not other way round.

Vettel may have been the one that moved but being in front he had every right to do so.

ioan

He was ahead and on the interior of the corner, what Webber did was a desperate man move who thought that you can go into such a heavy braking zone with interlocked wheels. Well news flash to Webber, you can't do that and when your team mates tries to make place you don't play the dumb wall game.

Garry Walker
My question was about YOUR driving rather than his. Would you really have an accident on purpose when there was room to move?

No, but if I had no time to react and some idiot turns into me, what can I do? nothing.

Valve Bounce
Waiting to hear what both drivers have to say - Vettel did make some looney gestures towards his head - wonder what that meant.

SGWilko

ioan and Daniel on the pit to car radio I guess

ioan
30th May 2010, 14:35
Vettel may have been the one that moved but being in front he had every right to do so.

Exactly but this discussion is not about who had the right to do what, it's about who likes whom.

Garry Walker
30th May 2010, 14:35

He was not CLEARLY in front

Garry Walker
30th May 2010, 14:36
Exactly but this discussion is not about who had the right to do what, it's about who likes whom.

So you admit that your love for Vettel is clouding your judgement?

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 14:36
Waiting to hear what both drivers have to say - Vettel did make some looney gestures towards his head - wonder what that meant.

He was probably shouting Nein, Nein, Nein.......

Daniel
30th May 2010, 14:37
He was not CLEARLY in front
Whose wheel was in front? Vettel's?

So basically Vettel was in front.

Daniel
30th May 2010, 14:37
So you admit that your love for Vettel is clouding your judgement?

And you go around saying how much you hate Vettel as well.....

ioan
30th May 2010, 14:38
No, but if I had no time to react and some idiot turns into me, what can I do? nothing.

No one turned into anyone, Vettel was ahead and was moving slightly to the right because he knew that going into the braking zone with interlocked wheels was suicide.

I guess Vettel didn't imagine that his team mate is an idiot, I would suggest him to see some of Webber's overtaking/defending moves from the past when he almost every time collided with the other car.

nigelred5

Apparentlyxwe know Webers answer to that question. Everyone knows Webber does not give way on track. My question is, should weber have expcted his teammate to chop is front wing off.

Garry Walker

Does that give him the right to just turn into another guy?

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 14:39

He had to be entirely in front before pulling over.

Try it yourself on the motorway - if you continue to post, I assume you waited until you were completely ahead to pull in, otherwise, we will wait until you are out of hospital!!! ;)

ioan
30th May 2010, 14:39

By quite a margin, otherwise how would Webber's front wing touch his rear wheel?!

Garry Walker
30th May 2010, 14:40
No one turned into anyone, Vettel was ahead and was moving slightly to the right because he knew that going into the braking zone with interlocked wheels was suicide.

I guess Vettel didn't imagine that his team mate is an idiot, I would suggest him to see some of Webber's overtaking/defending moves from the past when he almost every time collided with the other car.

If they had wheels interlocked, why did Vettel turn even more into Webber when there was ENOUGH room for him on the inside? He tried to scare Webber, but misjudged the distance between them and thus, webbo couldnt do anything anymore.

BTW: Vettel is one of the dirtiest drivers on the grid and has pulled many hard blocking moves on others, much like Webber.

ioan
30th May 2010, 14:40

:laugh:
Are you re-writing the rules now in order to suit you POV?

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 14:41
Does that give him the right to just turn into another guy?

Yes - if you listen to this lot.... :D

Daniel

Try it yourself on the motorway - if you continue to post, I assume you waited until you were completely ahead to pull in, otherwise, we will wait until you are out of hospital!!! ;)

I don't keep up with F1 as much as some people round here. But when did they bring the rule in that the guy in front had to relinquish position to the guy behind as long as he wasn't a full car length ahead? Answers anyone? :rotflmao:

SGWilko
:laugh:
Are you re-writing the rules now in order to suit you POV?

Nope, just stating the obvious really.

Garry Walker
30th May 2010, 14:42

Exactly.

ioan
If they had wheels interlocked, why did Vettel turn even more into Webber when there was ENOUGH room for him on the inside? He tried to scare Webber, but misjudged the distance between them and thus, webbo couldnt do anything anymore.

BTW: Vettel is one of the dirtiest drivers on the grid and has pulled many hard blocking moves on others, much like Webber.

You keep talking about turning into Webber.
This never happened, so please let me know to continue this discussion when you acknowledge that Vettel was ahead and on the inside and had the right to make dictate the rules of the game for that turn.

ioan

Read the F1 sporting rules because you obviously don't know the obvious.

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 14:43
Whre is Saint D? beaten by Lulu, oh dear!

Must be the bling!

Daniel
30th May 2010, 14:44
Whre is Saint D? beaten by Lulu, oh dear!

Must be the bling!
At least we can agree on one thing ;)

Daniel
30th May 2010, 14:44
That's a load of rubbish and you know it! What's "obvious" to one person is BS to another person and against the rules.

Dr. Krogshöj
30th May 2010, 14:45

Would you quote the relevent section?

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 14:45

Turn into a car, and I think you'll find tht, generally, you will head straight to the scene of the accident.

Vettel knows that now.

Mark already new it.

Experience.

Garry Walker
30th May 2010, 14:46
You keep talking about turning into Webber.
This never happened, so please let me know to continue this discussion when you acknowledge that Vettel was ahead and on the inside and had the right to make dictate the rules of the game for that turn.

Yes, that did happen. He turned into Webbo.

Vettel was ahead, but when you arent clearly ahead (so that your rear wing is ahead of the other guys front wing) turning into him when you are so close as they were, is suicide.

Read SgWilkos post and try that on the highway, see if you have an accident or not and who will be at fault.

ioan

Leave the motorway out, this is racing here, something that is not in the public road rules.

We came to the point where you are invoking rules that are the other way around and comparing racing to motorway cruising so you obviously ran out of arguments.
I am not going to lose any time trying to have an apples vs bananas argument.

SGWilko
Would you quote the relevent section?

It's on his lavvy wall as wallpaper!

Probably...... ;)

Valve Bounce
30th May 2010, 14:50
I think Vettel went up to Mark's pit crew and apologised profusely to them.

ShiftingGears
Webber wasn't going to make it easy for Vettel. There was still a chance he could do something to make the position back by not letting Vettel onto the racing line for the corner.

Clearly Vettel thought he was entitled to the position, and Webber was not going to be intimidated.

In the end, Webber came out with the championship lead, and Vettel came out of the race with zero points and is now 4th.

SGWilko

Vettel was ahead, but when you arent clearly ahead (so that your rear wing is ahead of the other guys front wing) turning into him when you are so close as they were, is suicide.

Read SgWilkos post and try that on the highway, see if you have an accident or not and who will be at fault.

Garry, are we seeing eye to eye here?

What's going on?

Most odd! ;)

ioan
30th May 2010, 14:51

No he didn't. You, confessed, hate for Vettel is showing clearly when you call moving left = turning in.

To me it's enough to remember Webber in 2008 squizing Massa on the wall at Monza while traveling well over 300 km/h in the rain. If it wasn't for Massa being the driver he is we would have seen a huge accident.
Webber simply squeezes everyone who tries to overtake him, He doesn't even leave place to his team mate when he is already by and has the line for the turn.

DexDexter
Turn into a car, and I think you'll find tht, generally, you will head straight to the scene of the accident.

Vettel knows that now.

Mark already new it.

Experience.

I don't know whether he knows that. On this occasion it might have been Vettel's fault but Webber has done similar stuff in the past, for example cut across Räikkönen at full speed in Brasil last year.

Garry Walker

What's going on?

Most odd! ;)

I expect normal service will return soon :D

F1boat
30th May 2010, 14:52
Well done for Lewis and Jenson, very good team battle, unlike that hateful little prat. Well done for Michael as well, good race!

wedge
30th May 2010, 14:53
Button/Hamilton save fuel = hold position?

Shades of Gilles/Pironi, Imola 1982 methinks.

Daniel
30th May 2010, 14:53

What's going on?

Most odd! ;)
You've simply chosen to hold an opinion which agrees with Garry's blind hatred for Vettel. I wouldn't look too far into it....

Garry Walker
30th May 2010, 14:54
No he didn't. You, confessed, hate for Vettel is showing clearly when you call moving left = turning in.

To me it's enough to remember Webber in 2008 squizing Massa on the wall at Monza while traveling well over 300 km/h in the rain. If it wasn't for Massa being the driver he is we would have seen a huge accident.
Webber simply squeezes everyone who tries to overtake him, He doesn't even leave place to his team mate when he is already by and has the line for the turn.

He didnt turn left, he turned into webber who was on the right. They just showed on RTL how much he moved his steering wheel, I am now even more sure that this was 100% vettels fault.

Garry Walker
30th May 2010, 14:55
You've simply chosen to hold an opinion which agrees with Garry's blind hatred for Vettel. I wouldn't look too far into it....

I dont have blind hatred for Vettel, I have complimented and defended him several times this year.
But this was 100% his fault. I am surprised anyone who has seen the replay of that would think otherwise.

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 14:56
In car shot from Webber VERY clearly shows he kept wheel dead straight!

That says it all for me.

ShiftingGears
30th May 2010, 14:56
If you swerve in front of someone who takes no sh!t when you aren't 100% in front of them you better be ready for the consequences.

Webber gave him room and did not turn in on him at any time. Vettel wanted more, and came out of the race with zero points.

#1JamesThompsonFan
30th May 2010, 14:57
What a pair of plonkers lol lol lol Yes, Vettel was through but he didnt needed to squeeze Webber and Webber should realise that Vettel was through and being in the same team should of moved. I can see that this is now going to affect Red Bulls season. McLaren and Mercedes should now be capitalising in the next races.

F1boat
30th May 2010, 14:57
I dont have blind hatred for Vettel, I have complimented and defended him several times this year.
But this was 100% his fault. I am surprised anyone who has seen the replay of that would think otherwise.

Vettel is considered to be god and infallible. It's never his fault here. Anyone who does not share this opinion has "blind hatred" from him, according to ioan, a man himself notorious for his malice to countless drivers from Button to Badoer.

Garry Walker
30th May 2010, 14:59
Vettel is considered to be god and infallible. It's never his fault here.
Yeah, there seems to be such an aura about him on forums.

christophulus
Footage: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8713653.stm

(UK users)

Daniel
In car shot from Webber VERY clearly shows he kept wheel dead straight!

That says it all for me.

What? That Webber saw Vettel moving across and chose not to avoid Vettel?

SGWilko

No one hates anyone FCOL.

Get real, don't get too immersed in a forum - you may need to take a break - go make a nice cuppa, take a few deep breaths (in with love, out with hate), come back with your rational thought circuit in full operation please.

Have a great Sunday. :)

UltimateDanGTR
30th May 2010, 15:00
i wanted to call it the best dry race of the year, but that's not 100% true. certainly entertaining and enthralling throughout. tension, suspense, great racing, lead changes, that race had it all.

I feel sorry for the red bull team, rollercoaster race for them.

I'm ecstatic at Hamilton getting the win, puts him right into the title fight and I am sure excitement will ensue in the future from that. obviously the silly earings had a sublime effect on his luck today :)

what a race.

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 15:00
What? That Webber saw Vettel moving across and chose not to avoid Vettel?

Split second stuff - he may not have had the chance - damage was done.

Daniel
30th May 2010, 15:01

Get real, don't get too immersed in a forum - you may need to take a break - go make a nice cuppa, take a few deep breaths (in with love, out with hate), come back with your rational thought circuit in full operation please.

Please don't be insulting......

F1boat

LOL you sound like a Jedi, mate :) Cheers!

Daniel
Split second stuff - he may not have had the chance - damage was done.
Compared to some of the moves people have made in recent years this was ultra slow motion stuff....

F1boat
30th May 2010, 15:02
i wanted to call it the best dry race of the year, but that's not 100% true. certainly entertaining and enthralling throughout. tension, suspense, great racing, lead changes, that race had it all.

I'm ecstatic at Hamilton getting the win, puts him right into the title fight and I am sure excitement will ensue in the future from that. obviously the silly earings had a sublime effect on his luck today :)

what a race.

I was frustrated that Jenson lost, but still he and Lewis made a great race. Respect for them. Great, great champions.

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 15:03
Please don't be insulting......

If you were insulted - sorry.

Was not intended.

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 15:03
I was frustrated that Jenson lost, but still he and Lewis made a great race. Respect for them. Great, great champions.

Amen.

nigelred5
30th May 2010, 15:05
One race down, two to go! man I should have gone to the beach for the offshore races!

Valve Bounce
30th May 2010, 15:07
Just watched the replay twice. I can only say that I do not agree with either ioan, nor Daniel. Also watched the post race conference and the discussion between Lewis Hamilton and Mark Webber while Bunsen was being interviewed. When the published interviews come out on Autosport, I think both Daniel and ioan will be embarrassed.

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 15:07
DC has called it 100% right on Auntie.

Mark had the right to keep his line - he did not deviate.

All Vettel had to do was arrive at the corner first.

Brain fade for Seb. No doubt.

snellman
30th May 2010, 15:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIc-A--iNU

markabilly
30th May 2010, 15:10

I would call this brilliant insight, except you are saying that which even a blind man can see, except those who are so pro-Brit (which includes the chopper) or hate Vettel...

U-tube shows it perfectly that webber was going to not give an inch, even though passed and refused to let him back into the drivng line.

cheap and dirty driving from the chopper...

#1JamesThompsonFan
30th May 2010, 15:11

what a race.

Certainly the best race for a while!

AndyL
30th May 2010, 15:11
I'm sure those backing Vettel in this will be happy that at least Eddie Jordan agrees with them... ;)

#1JamesThompsonFan
30th May 2010, 15:13
Eddie Jordan is a suck up anyway, so I wouldnt of expected anything else really

ShiftingGears
30th May 2010, 15:16
I'm sure those backing Vettel in this will be happy that at least Eddie Jordan agrees with them... ;)

I laughed when he described Vettel as 'gorgeous' which I found quite...fruity.

TMorel
Well there we go, if Eddie Jordan claims you're innocent then that means you're guilty as charged!

SGWilko

Well, that's got to be the clincher!

DexDexter
I would call this brilliant insight, except you are saying that which even a blind man can see, except those who are so pro-Brit (which includes the chopper) or hate Vettel...

U-tube shows it perfectly that webber was going to not give an inch, even though passed and refused to let him back into the drivng line.

cheap and dirty driving from the chopper...

I'm not pro-brit and Vettel is one of my favourite drivers but still to me it was Vettel's fault this time.

Allyc85
30th May 2010, 15:17
What was vettel playing at, there was no need to move over on his team mate!

Great 1-2 for the Mclaren boys, though it got waaaay too close at turn 1!!

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 15:19

Priceless.

Why is Webber at fault for KEEPING his line?
Why is Seb correct for TURNING IN on Mark?

Dave B
30th May 2010, 15:19
Nicole whatsherface must be phenomenal in bed for Lewis to put up with that voice :s

ArrowsFA1
30th May 2010, 15:20
DC has called it 100% right on Auntie.

Mark had the right to keep his line - he did not deviate.

That's the point. Vettel caused contact when it was avoidable.

Dr. Krogshöj
30th May 2010, 15:21
Eddie Jordan is a suck up anyway, so I wouldnt of expected anything else really

Come on, clearly it's his role in the broadcast to oppose and formulate controversially strong statements.

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 15:22

That's the point. Vettel caused contact when it was avoidable.

I know that and you know that, but they don't know that.

Do they know we know that they don't know?

DexDexter
30th May 2010, 15:24
Just watched the replay twice. I can only say that I do not agree with either ioan, nor Daniel. Also watched the post race conference and the discussion between Lewis Hamilton and Mark Webber while Bunsen was being interviewed. When the published interviews come out on Autosport, I think both Daniel and ioan will be embarrassed.

But at least they got heated discussion which those two guys are all about, never mind the subject. :D

Ari
30th May 2010, 15:25
Ofcourse he should but acknowledging that his team mate was faster is not something that a crash prone driver would do. This remind me of some of his moves while driving for Williams when he destroyed trh race of other drivers on a regular basis.

Webber had to move left to take the corner but he chose not to do so for whatever stupid reason.

So now Webber should move over cause his team mate is a hand grenade?

Webber gave him just enough space. He wasnt on the white line, he wasnt on the grass. Vettel then moved across into Webber.

Simple as that really.

Its not Webbers fault to yield and move across. He gave Vettel room, if he cant get the job done thats not Webbers fault.

Ultimately Webber had led the entire race and with the Maccas so close behind the team should have told Vettel to come home in order..... like most other teams do!

The team said a few races back that basically whoever gets ahead after the first couple laps gets the win.

Mark should move to Ferrari. RBR have their #1 driver and it's not the right choice..... Lews Hamilton Fernando Alonso anyone?

wedge
30th May 2010, 15:27

what a race.

I can't remember a terrific race as good as this with terrific racing up and down the grid, no SC or rain all weekend to mix up the grid or - unless someone proves otherwise I don't think the drizzle did much to affect things.

Daniel
30th May 2010, 15:30
So now Webber should move over cause his team mate is a hand grenade?

Ok lets say Vettel did give Webber a hand grenade. In a trench if that happened would you expect Webber to get into an argument as to whether Vettel should have thrown it back?

markabilly
30th May 2010, 15:31
Priceless.

Why is Webber at fault for KEEPING his line?
Why is Seb correct for TURNING IN on Mark?
Webber was not in the racing line, not at all.

Webber saw it coming and given the position on the track, even in the absence of contact, neither were going to make the corner unless they both moved to the right

Hamilton would have been by, assuming as when Vettel and Chopper missed the corner, they did not run into hamilton.

Indeed, had webber moved over, webber being on the outside would have gone by.....this was not any different than Button passing schuie on the outside....difference was that when Schuie came over to the right, Button did not "keep his line" but moved over as well--into the racing line...and went around.

That pass is what racing should be all about.

Webber's stuff was what it should NOT be all about.
Simples.

ShiftingGears
30th May 2010, 15:31
Mark should move to Ferrari. RBR have their #1 driver and it's not the right choice..... Lews Hamilton Fernando Alonso anyone?

Ferrari also have their #1 driver who is only 4 points ahead of Massa ;)

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 15:41
Ok lets say Vettel did give Webber a hand grenade. In a trench if that happened would you expect Webber to get into an argument as to whether Vettel should have thrown it back?

Right now Vettel is so gone in the head I doubt he'd think to pull the pin out.

Mark would pull out the pin, hand it back and serenely drive off into the sunset.....

Ari
30th May 2010, 15:41

Have a look at the replay.... Webber does not squeeze him at all.

He opens the door and Vettel goes through it. Webber does NOT move across again at all... he goes straight ahead. Vettel moves INTO Webber and their tyres crash. Just before impact Webber starts to streer hard right but it's too late.

j56Iz2UjXlo

truefan72
30th May 2010, 15:42
what a race, Turkey sure brought out lots of action up and down the grid

Where is my man henners for our champagne toast of macs 1-2, with my man Hamilton finally winning a race. Button did well too to come in 2nd. The RBR incident is 50/50 to me and both sides have a lot to answer too.
clearly the macs and RBR's are now some distance ahead of the rest.
Kobayashi did well to earn his point. Petrov should have deserved more as Alonso really ruined his race. But the Renaults have made giant leaps.

This championship is opening up nicely. Canada should be a cracker of a race

Ari
30th May 2010, 15:45
BBC guys on the red button are disecting it. Vettels fault they are all saying. Vettel moved across into Webber.

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 15:45
Webber was not in the racing line, not at all.

Webber saw it coming and given the position on the track, even in the absence of contact, neither were going to make the corner unless they both moved to the right

Hamilton would have been by, assuming as when Vettel and Chopper missed the corner, they did not run into hamilton.

Indeed, had webber moved over, webber being on the outside would have gone by.....this was not any different than Button passing schuie on the outside....difference was that when Schuie came over to the right, Button did not "keep his line" but moved over as well--into the racing line...and went around.

That pass is what racing should be all about.

Webber's stuff was what it should NOT be all about.
Simples.

And now post a specific answer to the two questions I asked that you quoted please.

markabilly
30th May 2010, 15:50
And now post a specific answer to the two questions I asked that you quoted please.
I did.

(1)Driving in a straight line on a race track that has curves is NOT keeping your line.
(2)Because webber should have moved over, just as Button moved over to the right to make the pass on schuie without squeezing off schuie

Ari
30th May 2010, 16:02
Not up to Mark to move over. Vettel had enough track.... is up to him to make the corner. Webber should not have to make the overtake comfortable for Vettel.

BBC forum slowed it down and all agreed that maybe Vettel should not have steered into Webber.

SGWilko
30th May 2010, 16:06
I did.

(1)Driving in a straight line on a race track that has curves is NOT keeping your line.
(2)Because webber should have moved over, just as Button moved over to the right to make the pass on schuie without squeezing off schuie

Hmmmm, they were on a straight!!!

Ari
30th May 2010, 16:07
Autosport poll...

Vettels fault - 75% - 210 votes.
Webbers fault - 10% - 29 votes.
Both - 14% - 41 votes.

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=130160&st=0

Btw..... Hamilton, who was travelling right behind them, just blamed Vettel on BBC forum.

i_max2k2
30th May 2010, 16:14
I think it was Vettel's fault, he turned in too early for the corner, as if he din't see webber not giving up the position, his car was clearly not as fast as he thought he had cleared webber to turn in so quickly, and Mark din't have time to react.

Dave B
30th May 2010, 16:18
Ted Kravitz is suggesting that Vettel may have turned up his engine, or Mark may have turned his engine down, and reporting that when questioned about it Mark said "hmmm, you should dig deeper".

Curiouser and curiouser. :erm:

markabilly
30th May 2010, 16:21
Hmmmm, they were on a straight!!!
they were into the approach of the corner, requiring the move to the right, before the spot of the accident.

and Horner is crying the blues about both of them.....

Like I said, Button demonstrated his superior skills, and webber demonstrated why he is the king of the choppers.......

ioan
30th May 2010, 16:24
I don't know whether he knows that. On this occasion it might have been Vettel's fault but Webber has done similar stuff in the past, for example cut across Räikkönen at full speed in Brasil last year.

He also bumped into Rubens on the straight, I think it was Nurburgring last season!

ioan
30th May 2010, 16:25

Exactly!

ioan
30th May 2010, 16:30
Vettel is considered to be god and infallible. It's never his fault here. Anyone who does not share this opinion has "blind hatred" from him, according to ioan, a man himself notorious for his malice to countless drivers from Button to Badoer.

What was the expression that Gordon brown used for that woman?
I can't remember it right now but it applies to F1boat who's previous post was:

Well done for Lewis and Jenson, very good team battle, unlike that hateful little prat. Well done for Michael as well, good race!

So you have the right, together with Gary to explicitly express your hatred towards Vettel, and you call me a hater because I called Baddoer and Button curbstones because they are slow?!

I wish I'd remember Gordon Brown's expression now.

ioan
30th May 2010, 16:31

You're wrong there.
Both Gary and F1boat explicitly acknowledged that they hate him, for petty reasons ofcourse, but that's another story.