PDA

View Full Version : New helmet saftey device.

garyshell
21st May 2010, 18:48
Tags just set fast lap and during the interview described his helmet. He talked about a new safety device. Basically a inflatable bag that is on the inside of the top of the helmet, with a fitting that is accessible from outside the helmet. In the event of an accident and they need to gently remove the driver helmet, they connect an air bottle to the fitting and it gently lifts the helmet away from the drivers head.

Two thumbs up :up: :up: for whoever came up with this gem! It out to be mandatory in all racing series, like the HANS device.

Gary

Nem14
22nd May 2010, 03:57
I remember reading about for the first time a couple of years ago.

garyshell
22nd May 2010, 04:52

In what series? This was the first I ever heard of it.

Gary

patryk
22nd May 2010, 04:55
Hi

You can see more here: http://www.ejectsafety.com

The unit is mandatory in IRL, Star Mazda, American le mans, etc.

Any idea what channel it was on?

More video here: http://www.youtube.com/user/racebitz

garyshell
22nd May 2010, 07:37
Any idea what channel it was on?

I was listening to the online broadcast of practice today when I heard Tags talk about it.

Gary

NickFalzone
22nd May 2010, 19:49
i saw a video of it on Indycar.com like 6-8 months ago. From what I could tell, it is less than a year old. Very smart design that I could easily see saving a driver from further injury or death.

slorydn1
22nd May 2010, 20:21

NOT a hundred pct sure but I could have sworn something like this concept debuted in the NFL the last year or so......

This is probably the greatest innovation since the modern helmet itself :up:

deadsquirrel
25th May 2010, 07:45
I think it started in motorbike racing; I'm sure it's more than a couple of years old too - been doing the rounds looking for takers.

One down side of the system is needing to know the driver has no head injury that would be made worse by putting pressure on the skull to release the helmet. The damage that could be done is immense and I'm surprised Indy have gone for it.

nigelred5
26th May 2010, 01:19
I think it started in motorbike racing; I'm sure it's more than a couple of years old too - been doing the rounds looking for takers.

One down side of the system is needing to know the driver has no head injury that would be made worse by putting pressure on the skull to release the helmet. The damage that could be done is immense and I'm surprised Indy have gone for it.

I was thinking the same thing. One of the reasons our football league uses air inflation helmets is they can be deflated enough that they can be easily removed. If significant head trauma is suspected, they would leave t he helmet on until proper imaging could be performed at a trauma center. Still one hell of an improvement over wrenching a tight helmet off.

deadsquirrel
26th May 2010, 14:53
Still one hell of an improvement over wrenching a tight helmet off.
That's what training or helmet saws are for - nothing is ever wrenched :-)