PDA

View Full Version : Possably More Renault engines for everyone

jonny hurlock
19th May 2010, 15:42
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83727

possibly Lotus and Williams as return clients

I am evil Homer
19th May 2010, 15:48
Yep you can see why they'd want to get the hell away from Cosworth...Lotus/Renault is intriguing.

DexDexter
19th May 2010, 20:20
This just goes to show you how easy it is to change perception in F1. Last year everybody wanted to get rid of the engine, even Red Bull and now it's suddenly the "hottest" engine in F1. :rolleyes:

edv
19th May 2010, 20:28
Yeah. Next year Cosworth will probably be allowed to turn up the wick, then they'll be the 'hottest' engine to have. LOL

gloomyDAY
19th May 2010, 21:57
This just goes to show you how easy it is to change perception in F1. Last year everybody wanted to get rid of the engine, even Red Bull and now it's suddenly the "hottest" engine in F1. :rolleyes: Dex, that's not a bad thing. Having teams knocking on your door for an engine is good news. If you have a paper weight riding around the back of the car, then you'd look for an improvement too! Renault are doing a good job for Red Bull (definite improvement from last year) and I think other teams want a piece of that pie.

DexDexter
19th May 2010, 22:01
Dex, that's not a bad thing. Having teams knocking on your door for an engine is good news. If you have a paper weight riding around the back of the car, then you'd look for an improvement too! Renault are doing a good job for Red Bull (definite improvement from last year) and I think other teams want a piece of that pie.

Yep, I don't disagree, it just bit funny.

Saint Devote
20th May 2010, 01:04
This just goes to show you how easy it is to change perception in F1. Last year everybody wanted to get rid of the engine, even Red Bull and now it's suddenly the "hottest" engine in F1. :rolleyes:

Nothing strange about that. F1 has always moved rapidly and if a team like Williams assesses that it can do better with Renault then they MUST move if they can.

Whether it is the latest aero tweak or an engine its all the same - striving to win.

Tazio
20th May 2010, 01:28
Volkswagen motorsport director Kris Nissen believes the sport is “very attractive” for car manufacturers but said his company would not decide on any future participation in the sport until the future engine formula was decided.

Speaking at the Nürburgring 24 Hours Nissen said:

All I can say at the moment is that nobody is aware of the new regulations for Formula One engines. Until that is clear I think nobody, including Volkswagen, can do any comments on their interest. First we need from the FIA to know exactly the regulations from 2013 or 2014

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/05/19/volkswagen-interested-in-new-f1-engine-formula/

8JDkdc246QQ

e2mtt
20th May 2010, 01:37
How development locked are the engines? I thought F1 had prohibited engine development. Are Cosworth allowed to make theirs better?

(stupidest rule I ever heard of)

slorydn1
20th May 2010, 03:56
Its all about "cost control" <whiney voice>

F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport where the car is king.
If you really want "cost control" leave the cars alone and cut the cost of the "super license" and sanctioning fees teams have to pay Bernie and Co, and how about limiting the travelling palaces the teams lug around from track to track to a single hauler like Nascar teams have (if you can fit two of those huge cup cars in there, think of how much stuff you could cram in there with the much smaller f1 cars, and with only two cars per team you could go with 1 hauler per constructor.

Saint Devote
20th May 2010, 04:44
Attention Volkswagen and Toyota - their latest sour grapes moan about F1:

We don't need you and you are not relevent. If f1 depended on your types it would have ceased to exist a long time ago.

But f1 is a force of nature and only the those that obey it can command it - as Bacon correctly stated - so instead we have the likes of Ferrari, Mclaren and Williams, and Mateschitz, Branson and Kolles.

Talk about arrogance. VW indeed!

gloomyDAY
20th May 2010, 04:54
Toyota does have a valid point. F1 is elitist and they need to get rid of that attitude in today's climate. Companies just aren't willing to give blank checks just to have a technological parade. Also, what really frightens me and makes me believe F1 is fragile, were the empty grandstands at Monaco. :eek: There is no way in hell that was related to an ash cloud.

I'm not sure what you have against VW. They want in F1 if they change the power-plant specs.

Saint Devote
21st May 2010, 01:38
Toyota does have a valid point. F1 is elitist and they need to get rid of that attitude in today's climate. Companies just aren't willing to give blank checks just to have a technological parade. Also, what really frightens me and makes me believe F1 is fragile, were the empty grandstands at Monaco. :eek: There is no way in hell that was related to an ash cloud.

I'm not sure what you have against VW. They want in F1 if they change the power-plant specs.

Being part of an elite is a good thing - it is the level of the best. Toyota have demonstrated an inability to compete at the highest level of F1.

After leaving, for them to now attack f1 and imply that there has to be some sort of connection to road cars otherwise any validity is undermined, is quite ridiculous.

I have never witnessed such empty grandsstands at Monaco - reducing prices may increase spectators, but also, perhaps f1 is finding its natural level of spectators.

There was a time when Monaco Grand Prix was not swamped with grandsstands as it is today - people could roam around the track and watch casually as well.

Being penned in is not attractive.

F1boat
21st May 2010, 07:17
Being part of an elite is a good thing - it is the level of the best. Toyota have demonstrated an inability to compete at the highest level of F1.

Very well said. Team O wins should not comment.

Mark
21st May 2010, 09:19
The Williams and Renault rumour was kicking around last year too. I can see it happening, after all there must be people at Williams and at Renault who remember the glory days and wouldn't mind renewing that partnership.

The question is can Williams still produce a car to live up to the engine. Remember that when Williams were dominant it was Newey who was designing the cars.. I wonder what happened to him..

V12
21st May 2010, 11:04
I personally just wish we could get back to the days of proper engine competition, when the Renaults were desirable because they were doing a better job than everybody else, rather than having just cycled to the top in the latest round of engine "equalisation", like Mercedes last year, or Ferrari before that, or probably Cosworth next year (well I wouldn't be surprised!)

Mark
21st May 2010, 11:23
I personally just wish we could get back to the days of proper engine competition, when the Renaults were desirable because they were doing a better job than everybody else, rather than having just cycled to the top in the latest round of engine "equalisation", like Mercedes last year, or Ferrari before that, or probably Cosworth next year (well I wouldn't be surprised!)

Seconded. I don't see what was wrong with having engine development.

Mia 01
21st May 2010, 11:39
The Williams and Renault rumour was kicking around last year too. I can see it happening, after all there must be people at Williams and at Renault who remember the glory days and wouldn't mind renewing that partnership.

The question is can Williams still produce a car to live up to the engine. Remember that when Williams were dominant it was Newey who was designing the cars.. I wonder what happened to him..

Williams for sure needs thoose Renualt engines, NOW.

They also needs a whole new management group.

Saint Devote
21st May 2010, 11:41
Very well said. Team O wins should not comment.

Thank you :s mokin:

I also support an above comment that wishes for engine competition to return.

However - the resource reduction adjustments are soon to start kicking in and it means that the much higher funded teams are going to have to learn how to cope with much reduced budgets.

Mia 01
21st May 2010, 12:09
Thank you :s mokin:

I also support an above comment that wishes for engine competition to return.

However - the resource reduction adjustments are soon to start kicking in and it means that the much higher funded teams are going to have to learn how to cope with much reduced budgets.

Ha Ha Ha Ha. Nope, you are wrong tis time.

jens
25th May 2010, 20:33

I think it's more complicated than that. It's not like Renault is suddenly better than Mercedes or the "hottest" of all, but that the pecking order is Mercedes > Renault > Cosworth. It's not like Mercedes teams suddenly want to switch to Renault, it's the bloody Cosworth teams! Renault is simply more approachable than Mercedes, ideally everyone would want MB. Last year Williams wanted Renault too - MB was and has always been a long shot for them.

Wild Dog
9th June 2010, 12:23
Hope Lotus and Williams will get Renault... Also they will come closer to the top teams then so ít could be a more exciting season.