PDA

View Full Version : Kovalainen: Were close to challenging Sauber and Toro Rosso

DazzlaF1
18th May 2010, 21:10
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/159850/1/kovalainen_lotus_nearly_up_with_sauber_str.html

With the pace the Lotuses (and even the Virgin's) showed in qualifying and in some parts of the race at Monaco, I cant see why they cant challenge them in the not too distant future.

Koz
19th May 2010, 02:41
I don't see it happening this season, Monaco isn't the best place to judge these sorts of things...

CNR
19th May 2010, 06:02
this may go to show how 2nd rate the engines are that Ferrari supply to Toro Rosso and Sauber

SGWilko
19th May 2010, 11:38
Close to challenging the BMW Sauber Ferrari's for unreliability maybe.....

SGWilko
19th May 2010, 11:40
this may go to show how 2nd rate the engines are that Ferrari supply to Toro Rosso and Sauber

Well, it is interesting how only the Scuderia and Sauber BMW Ferrari only had an issue - STR seemed to get away scot free.

I think however, in fairness to Ferrari, Sauber have many issues, probably borne of having to reply on the cheaper suppliers....

DexDexter
19th May 2010, 22:03
Close to challenging the BMW Sauber Ferrari's for unreliability maybe.....

If you don't know a thing about the topic, don't post, please. Kovalainen was really close on race pace at times to Toro Rossos and particularly Petrov. I know it's Monaco but the statement has at least some merit.

Mia 01
21st May 2010, 14:10
He was not!

jens
25th May 2010, 20:55
Considering that they seem to be considering shifting the focus on 2011, such challenge may not take place that likely... Otherwise it could be possible by the end of the season. Let's recall, how Super Aguri was flying in the last race at Interlagos '06 after having been clear backmarkers early in the season. Okay, they were boosted by superior Bridgestone tyres, but even then they were faster than Midlands on the same tyres.

ArrowsFA1
26th May 2010, 08:41
If you don't know a thing about the topic, don't post, please. Kovalainen was really close on race pace at times to Toro Rossos and particularly Petrov. I know it's Monaco but the statement has at least some merit.
In Spain the fastest Lotus was 3.5s off the pace of the fastest Sauber, 4s slower than the fastest Toro Rosso and 0.2s quicker than the fastest Virgin.

In Monaco the fastest Lotus was 0.3s quicker than the fastest Sauber, 2.1s slower than the fastest Toro Rosso and 2.3s quicker than he fastest Virgin.

The nature of the circuits may have played a role in that, but there's no doubt that Lotus have made progress and Heikki has a point about challenging the Saubers, but whether the team can maintain that is another question.

DexDexter
26th May 2010, 14:54
In Spain the fastest Lotus was 3.5s off the pace of the fastest Sauber, 4s slower than the fastest Toro Rosso and 0.2s quicker than the fastest Virgin.

In Monaco the fastest Lotus was 0.3s quicker than the fastest Sauber, 2.1s slower than the fastest Toro Rosso and 2.3s quicker than he fastest Virgin.

The nature of the circuits may have played a role in that, but there's no doubt that Lotus have made progress and Heikki has a point about challenging the Saubers, but whether the team can maintain that is another question.

Yep, but I hear they are going to stop the development of the current car pretty soon so the gap is probably not going to shrink anymore. They've got a new rear wing for the next race, let's see whether that helps them...

I am evil Homer
28th May 2010, 10:01
Heikki only half a second off Jamie in the STR in first practice at Turkey. More signs of improvement, even if it's only practice.

AndyL
28th May 2010, 13:50
A sizeable gap back to the Virgins and Hispanias now too.

DazzlaF1
28th May 2010, 22:16
A sizeable gap back to the Virgins and Hispanias now too.

Well with Dallara no longer associated with Hispania and their next update not coming until Germany, its no suprose. Same for Virgin too especially di Grassi as this was his first outing in the new spec car