PDA

View Full Version : It takes guts to undo wrong things

race_director
18th May 2010, 17:02
ROSS the Boss and Mercedes GP stock went up today, with its decision to withdraw its apeal, after realizng that they made a rare bad call. Not seen many teams do that. ROSS the boss and Mercedes GP had the guts to admit and withdraw the appeal. Hope other teams also follow the same spirit and not present bags of lies just to defend themself at any cost.

i personally salute the spirit of Mercedes GP and ROSS , to withdraw the appeal and not waste time of courts. like other teams, jst for the sake of it

SGWilko
18th May 2010, 17:12
ROSS the Boss and Mercedes GP stock went up today, with its decision to withdraw its apeal, after realizng that they made a rare bad call. Not seen many teams do that. ROSS the boss and Mercedes GP had the guts to admit and withdraw the appeal. Hope other teams also follow the same spirit and not present bags of lies just to defend themself at any cost.

i personally salute the spirit of Mercedes GP and ROSS , to withdraw the appeal and not waste time of courts. like other teams, jst for the sake of it

What would the appeal have achieved anyway - wouldn't get the points back would they?

Cooper_S
18th May 2010, 17:13
They withdrew because their stated aim in appealing was achieved.

On Sunday when the appeal was announced they knew they could not reverse the result but only the decision, the move by the WMSC to discuss the rules is the decision Mercedes GP were hoping for, and so the need to proceed with a hearing removed.

SGWilko
18th May 2010, 17:17
They withdrew because their stated aim in appealing was achieved.

Ah, not because they made a rare bad call then?

Cooper_S
18th May 2010, 17:37
I don't believe so... MGP do not think it was a 'bad' call, they still maintain the call given the data they had was correct, they accept the ruling of the stewards and they accept the professionalism of the stewards. but they have stopped short of saying their call was wrong.

AndyL
18th May 2010, 17:44
I don't believe so... MGP do not think it was a 'bad' call, they still maintain the call given the data they had was correct, they accept the ruling of the stewards and they accept the professionalism of the stewards. but they have stopped short of saying their call was wrong.

And they certainly didn't admit they were presenting
bags of lies just to defend themself at any cost.
:laugh:

Daika
18th May 2010, 17:44
ROSS the Boss and Mercedes GP stock went up today, with its decision to withdraw its apeal, after realizng that they made a rare bad call.

Nothing to do with bad call, they still believe they were correct.

Sonic
18th May 2010, 18:02
As we all know race penalties can not/will not be reversed so Mercedes GP have taken the wise position of not flogging a dead horse, so to speak.

The rules need clarification but no manner of appeal will solve that retrospectively for MGP

ioan
18th May 2010, 18:16

They were not wrong.
The only ones that should grow up and learn to accept when they make a mistake is the FIA it's race director and the stupid stewards who know little or nothing about racing.

Tazio
18th May 2010, 18:18
It takes guts to undo wrong things

Money also works really well in letting it go :p

What?

Hawkmoon
18th May 2010, 23:17
They were not wrong.
The only ones that should grow up and learn to accept when they make a mistake is the FIA it's race director and the stupid stewards who know little or nothing about racing.

Mercedes were wrong. The stewards were right. Mercedes want the rule changed or cleared up. They're right in that because the rule, or perhaps the application of it, is stupid. The yellow flags/lights should have remained after the safety car pulled into the pits to make it clear that no passing was allowed, which is clearly stated in the rule.

Saint Devote
18th May 2010, 23:53

One does not go up against powers where despite the introduction of a separate judging council - "Star Council?" - the acting remain capricious.

To consider the terms fairness or justice where the FIA are concerned is the height of irony.

It was a tactical withdrawal by a team that only discovered what a lightning rod Schumi still is on the weekend.

Schumi is a masterful tactician and that after an entire grand prix he was the ONLY one still running to act out any advantage - how can any team not just LOVE such a driver :s mokin:

Saint Devote
19th May 2010, 00:02
Mercedes were wrong. The stewards were right. Mercedes want the rule changed or cleared up. They're right in that because the rule, or perhaps the application of it, is stupid. The yellow flags/lights should have remained after the safety car pulled into the pits to make it clear that no passing was allowed, which is clearly stated in the rule.

So when it is unclear they are right? That is just not on.

In this case it was indeed wrong to penalize and not only decide he should return the position - to the cry baby - but then add a time penalty?!

Justice would have been to give Schumi the benefit of the doubt and then clarify the rule - but then the terms justice and fairness ....... read above!

CNR
19th May 2010, 06:06
http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-136048.html

This opinion appears to have been shared by the majority of the teams with cars in the top ten positions who also gave their drivers instructions to race to the finish line.

Tazio
19th May 2010, 06:55
So when it is unclear they are right? That is just not on.

In this case it was indeed wrong to penalize and not only decide he should return the position - to the cry baby - but then add a time penalty?!

Justice would have been to give Schumi the benefit of the doubt and then clarify the rule - but then the terms justice and fairness ....... read above! Just a for instance:
Let's say Mike and the rest of the Nobel laureate’s at Mercedes, admitting in their own words that they understood the rule, and Mike fly’s past Fred, and collides with "The Boss" and kills him! I would say your boy "Jense" but he exited the race due to the handiwork of McL' geniuses.
There would be an equal amount of blame to go around (although "The Boss" wouldn't be napping. He'd be ruminating about how he was going to tear his race engineer a new one.)

So the 20 seconds wouldn't actually add up to sh!t. Because Mike would be a sideshow attraction with a beer gut at Monaco working for Schnapps, and streusel. Ross would have had a different set of photos in his hand when his next plea was made to the authorities,
And Fred would still be saying "I was thinking about having a run at "The Boss"
(R.I.P.) but some buffoon at Ferrari told me:
"hold your position as we cannot overtake"!

BTW Charlie Whiting would have been found still on his thrown after "Mr. Saturday Night Persuasion"
just sent a .38 hollow-point through his mouth and made a hole the size of a grapefruit out of the back of his head.

Mark
19th May 2010, 08:26
The people who were 'wrong' here are both the FIA for drafting an ambiguous rule - again. And the race director for not making it clear that the race was finishing under the safety car. And not that the safety car was just coming in because the incident was over.

I know there are only certain penalties available to the stewards, but the one given to MS was harsh. A better result would have just been to swap the two positions back again.

Tazio
19th May 2010, 10:15
The people who were 'wrong' here are both the FIA for drafting an ambiguous rule - again. And the race director for not making it clear that the race was finishing under the safety car. And not that the safety car was just coming in because the incident was over.

I know there are only certain penalties available to the stewards, but the one given to MS was harsh. A better result would have just been to swap the two positions back again.This sort of reminds me of The Case of the incredible growing contact patch 2003 me-thinks.
Ferrari had gotten info from their man at "Stoneville" that it was his opinion as the
Michelins wore down their contact patch actually increased.
Well, Jean and Ross keep it under their hat add whatever reason someone might do that here
When Ferrari decided that it may actually cost them the WDC and WCC they lodged a protest.
Many trolls wondered if they knew this all along why they didn’t mention it sooner.
The protest was upheld No one had points taken away for gaining them by cheating!
(This you say is exactly what Mike deserves) I concur. :eek:
I don't think he meant to contravene the rule. :confused:
Just like Fred had no idea that the sleazebags on the Renault team had
hatched a plot to improve their lot. :uhoh:
I guess between recreation and his job, Max proved to be a rather reasonable fellow! :p

SGWilko
19th May 2010, 10:36
This sort of reminds me of The Case of the incredible growing contact patch 2003 me-thinks.
Ferrari had gotten info from their man at "Stoneville" that it was his opinion as the
Well, Jean and Ross keep it under their hat add whatever reason someone might do that here
When Ferrari decided that it may actually cost them the WDC and WCC they lodged a protest.
Many trolls wondered if they knew this all along why they didn’t mention it sooner.
The protest was upheld No one had points taken away for gaining them by cheating!
I guess between recreation and his job, Max proved to be a rather reasonable fellow! :p

How in Alibaba is this similar to the tyre issue?

Saint Devote
19th May 2010, 11:16
Just a for instance:
Let's say Mike and the rest of the Nobel laureate’s at Mercedes, admitting in their own words that they understood the rule, and Mike fly’s past Fred, and collides with "The Boss" and kills him! I would say your boy "Jense" but he exited the race due to the handiwork of McL' geniuses.
There would be an equal amount of blame to go around (although "The Boss" wouldn't be napping. He'd be ruminating about how he was going to tear his race engineer a new one.)

So the 20 seconds wouldn't actually add up to sh!t. Because Mike would be a sideshow attraction with a beer gut at Monaco working for Schnapps, and streusel. Ross would have had a different set of photos in his hand when his next plea was made to the authorities,
And Fred would still be saying "I was thinking about having a run at "The Boss"
(R.I.P.) but some buffoon at Ferrari told me:
"hold your position as we cannot overtake"!

BTW Charlie Whiting would have been found still on his thrown after "Mr. Saturday Night Persuasion"
just sent a .38 hollow-point through his mouth and made a hole the size of a grapefruit out of the back of his head.

Nobel Laureates? Thats really a recipe for disaster!

I really thnk that this whole issue is because of the Schumi factor - nobody else running even thought of such beautiful opportunism. Thats the crux of the matter.

Schumi outsmarted everyone on Sunday - in motor racing heaven Fangio, Hawthorn, Senna and Clark were surely smiling. No doubt "black Jack" Brabham was indeed smiling even broader than for Webbers victory :s mokin:

The apology by Mercedes was easy. Why? They realized on Sunday just "wot they got"!

And Ferrari winced - they witnessed their "savior" being beaten by someone who thinks outside the ordinary and never gives up WITHOUT CRASHING - just as he did to Raikkonen on that last lap at Interlagos in 2006.

SGWilko
19th May 2010, 11:25

I really thnk that this whole issue is because of the Schumi factor - nobody else running even thought of such beautiful opportunism. Thats the crux of the matter.

Schumi outsmarted everyone on Sunday - in motor racing heaven Fangio, Hawthorn, Senna and Clark were surely smiling. No doubt "black Jack" Brabham was indeed smiling even broader than for Webbers victory :s mokin:

The apology by Mercedes was easy. Why? They realized on Sunday just "wot they got"!

And Ferrari winced - they witnessed their "savior" being beaten by someone who thinks outside the ordinary and never gives up WITHOUT CRASHING - just as he did to Raikkonen on that last lap at Interlagos in 2006.

Maybe everyone WAS racing - who knows?

Maybe the reason Onlso got mugged was because he had tyres on that were more knckered than one of rooneys granny's. Of course, that is Onslo's fault - he brung that on himself by cocking up practice 3.....

As Tamb would delight in posting - you reap what you sow.

race_director
19th May 2010, 13:40
This sort of reminds me of The Case of the incredible growing contact patch 2003 me-thinks.

TAZ, i could not remember the the incident, can u refresh it for me.

Tazio
19th May 2010, 15:28
TAZ, i could not remember the the incident, can u refresh it for me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/13/sports/13iht-prix_ed3__1.html

race_director
19th May 2010, 20:37
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/13/sports/13iht-prix_ed3__1.html

Thanks

Saint Devote
20th May 2010, 01:08
Maybe everyone WAS racing - who knows?

Maybe the reason Onlso got mugged was because he had tyres on that were more knckered than one of rooneys granny's. Of course, that is Onslo's fault - he brung that on himself by cocking up practice 3.....

As Tamb would delight in posting - you reap what you sow.

"Maybe" - but it was Schumi that dun it :D

Indeed, Alonso did bring it all on himself. Second year in a row that one of the top drivers gets bitten at Monte Carlo. Sunday drivers :vader:

markabilly
20th May 2010, 01:30
It takes guts to undo wrong things

Oh yeah, it takes guts to admit you are wrong, and that is why that little pathetic auntie damon whinger hillbaby, and his merry crew of cretins, will not be admitting to their sins or the wrong done in this case

fact is one of the cretins is now admitting that due to all the excitement about getting the chance to slam Schuie, for doing what the majority of the teams instructed their drivers to do, race for the finish, that they completely forgot about the "Ruben toss".... :rotflmao:

slorydn1
20th May 2010, 02:41
I have copied and pasted all of section 40 of the sporting regulations, in its entirety. This is the section that deals with safety cars. Happy Reading:

40.1 The FIA safety car will be driven by an FIA appointed driver and will carry an FIA observer capable of recognising all the competing cars who is in permanent radio contact with race control.
40.2 30 minutes before the start of the formation lap the safety car will take up position at the front of the grid and remain there until the five minute signal is given. At this point (except under 40.15 below) it will cover a whole lap of the circuit and take up position.
40.3 The safety car may be brought into operation to neutralise a race upon the order of the clerk of the course.
It will be used only if competitors or officials are in immediate physical danger but the circumstances are not such as to necessitate suspending the race.
40.4 When the order is given to deploy the safety car the message "SAFETY CAR DEPLOYED" will be displayed on the timing monitors and all marshal's posts will display waved yellow flags and "SC" boards for the duration of the intervention.
40.5 From this time, any car being driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or which is deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers at any time whilst the safety car is deployed will be reported to the stewards. This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane.
40.6 The safety car will join the track with its orange lights illuminated and will do so regardless of where the race leader is.
40.7 All competing cars must then reduce speed and form up in line behind the safety car no more than ten car lengths apart. In order to ensure that drivers reduce speed sufficiently, from the time at which the “SAFETY CAR DEPLOYED” message is shown on the timing monitors until the time that each car crosses the first safety car line for the first time, drivers must stay above the minimum time set by the FIA ECU.
With the following exceptions, overtaking is forbidden until the cars reach the first safety car line after the safety car has returned to the pits. Overtaking will only be permitted under the following circumstances :
- if a car is signalled to do so from the safety car ;
- under 40.15 below ;
- any car entering the pits may pass another car or the safety car remaining on the track after it has crossed the first safety car line ;
- any car leaving the pits may be overtaken by another car on the track before it crosses the second safety car line ;
- when the safety car is returning to the pits it may be overtaken by cars on the track once it has crossed the first safety car line ;
- any car stopping in its designated garage area whilst the safety car is using the pit lane (see 40.10 below) may be overtaken ;
- if any car slows with an obvious problem.
40.8 When ordered to do so by the clerk of the course the observer in the car will use a green light to signal to any cars between it and the race leader that they should pass. These cars will continue at reduced speed and without overtaking until they reach the line of cars behind the safety car.
40.9 The safety car shall be used at least until the leader is behind it and all remaining cars are lined up behind him.
Once behind the safety car, the race leader must keep within ten car lengths of it (except under 40.12 below) and all remaining cars must keep the formation as tight as possible.
40.10 Whilst the safety car is in operation, competing cars may enter the pit lane, but may only rejoin the track when the green light at the end of the pit lane is on. It will be on at all times except when the safety car and the line of cars following it are about to pass or are passing the pit exit . A car rejoining the track must proceed at an appropriate speed until it reaches the end of the line of cars behind the safety car.
Under certain circumstances the clerk of the course may ask the safety car to use the pit lane. In these cases, and provided its orange lights remain illuminated, all cars must follow it into the pit lane without overtaking. Any car entering the pit lane under these circumstances may stop at its designated garage area.
40.11 When the clerk of the course decides it is safe to call in the safety car the message "SAFETY CAR IN THIS LAP" will be displayed on the timing monitors and the car's orange lights will be extinguished This will be the signal to the teams and drivers that it will be entering the pit lane at the end of that lap.
At this point the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace and, if necessary, fall more than ten car lengths behind it.
In order to avoid the likelihood of accidents before the safety car returns to the pits, from the point at which the lights on the car are turned out drivers must proceed at a pace which involves no erratic acceleration or braking nor any other manoeuvre which is likely to endanger other drivers or impede the restart.
As the safety car is approaching the pit entry the yellow flags and SC boards will be withdrawn and replaced by waved green flags with green lights at the Line. These will be displayed until the last car crosses the Line.
40.12 Each lap completed while the safety car is deployed will be counted as a race lap.
40.13 If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.
40.14 Under certain circumstances the race may be started behind the safety car or resumed in accordance with Article 42.5(a). In either case, at the ten minute signal its orange lights will be illuminated, this being the signal to the drivers that the race will be started (or resumed) behind the safety car. At the same time a message confirming this will be displayed on the timing monitors.
When the green lights are illuminated the safety car will leave the grid with all cars following in grid order no more than ten car lengths apart. During a race start there will be no formation lap and race will start when the green lights are illuminated.
Overtaking, during the first lap only, is permitted if a car is delayed when leaving its grid position and cars behind cannot avoid passing it without unduly delaying the remainder of the field. In this case, drivers may only overtake to re-establish the original starting order.
Any driver who is delayed leaving the grid may not overtake another moving car if he was stationary after the remainder of the cars had crossed the Line, and must form up at the back of the line of cars behind the safety car. If more than one driver is affected, they must form up at the back of the field in the order they left the grid.
Either of the penalties under Articles 16.3a) or b) will be imposed on any driver who, in the opinion of the Stewards, unnecessarily overtook another car during the first lap

markabilly
20th May 2010, 02:53
I have copied and pasted all of section 40 of the sporting regulations, in its entirety. This is the section that deals with safety cars. Happy Reading:

40.4 When the order is given to deploy the safety car the message "SAFETY CAR DEPLOYED" will be displayed on the timing monitors and all marshal's posts will display waved yellow flags and "SC" boards for the duration of the intervention.

40.11 When the clerk of the course decides it is safe to call in the safety car the message "SAFETY CAR IN THIS LAP" will be displayed on the timing monitors and the car's orange lights will be extinguished This will be the signal to the teams and drivers that it will be entering the pit lane at the end of that lap.
At this point the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace and, if necessary, fall more than ten car lengths behind it.
In order to avoid the likelihood of accidents before the safety car returns to the pits, from the point at which the lights on the car are turned out drivers must proceed at a pace which involves no erratic acceleration or braking nor any other manoeuvre which is likely to endanger other drivers or impede the restart.
As the safety car is approaching the pit entry the yellow flags and SC boards will be withdrawn and replaced by waved green flags with green lights at the Line. These will be displayed until the last car crosses the Line.
40.12 Each lap completed while the safety car is deployed will be counted as a race lap.
40.13 If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

During a race start there will be no formation lap and race will start when the green lights are illuminated.

Either of the penalties under Articles 16.3a) or b) will be imposed on any driver who, in the opinion of the Stewards, unnecessarily overtook another car during the first lap
thanks

Tazio
20th May 2010, 02:57
I have copied and pasted all of section 40 of the sporting regulations, in its entirety. This is

Really Boring!

If you aint rubbin'
You have someone special to rub you. :crazy:

slorydn1
20th May 2010, 03:10
Really Boring!

If you aint rubbin'
You have someone special to rub you. :crazy:

You would be abolutely CORRECT, Taz

I do.

It seems that someone has too much time on their hands and quick to knock others around, maybe someone lacks that certain companionship?

As for the Sporting regulations being really "boring" I couldn't agree more...Reading them is like watching paint dry or the grass grow.

HOWEVER

It is the law of the land in the sport that we all love and I wish more people spend the agonizing time to actually read them before spouting off about what the rules are or are not etc, etc, etc.....Half the arguments we have around here that end up getting people BANNED wouldn't happen if people would actually sit back and read them, no matter how much doing so is akin to swallowing shards of cut glass....

markabilly
20th May 2010, 03:11
[size=75]
5.3 The distance of all races, from the start signal referred to in Article 38.9 to the chequered flag, shall be equal to the least number of complete laps which exceed a distance of 305 km (Monaco 260km). However, should two hours elapse before the scheduled race distance is completed, the leader will be shown the chequered flag when he crosses the control line (the Line) at the end of the lap during which the two hour period ended. However, should the race be suspended (see Article 41) the length of the suspension will be added to this period.The Line is a single line which crosses both the track and the pit lane.

43) FINISH
The end-of-race signal will be given at the Line as soon as the leading car has covered the full race distance in accordance with Article 5.3.
Should for any reason the end-of-race signal be given before the leading car completes the scheduled number of laps, or the prescribed time has been completed, the race will be deemed to have finished when the leading car last crossed the Line before the signal was given.

Saint Devote
20th May 2010, 04:28
This really an Anorak Heaven and, as I am not one - MEGO...zzzzzzzzzz

Tazio
20th May 2010, 07:54
You would be abolutely CORRECT, Taz

I do.

It seems that someone has too much time on their hands and quick to knock others around, maybe someone lacks that certain companionship?

As for the Sporting regulations being really "boring" I couldn't agree more...Reading them is like watching paint dry or the grass grow.

HOWEVER

It is the law of the land in the sport that we all love and I wish more people spend the agonizing time to actually read them before spouting off about what the rules are or are not etc, etc, etc.....Half the arguments we have around here that end up getting people BANNED wouldn't happen if people would actually sit back and read them, no matter how much doing so is akin to swallowing shards of cut glass.... Comming from a moderator which I'm sure is a devil may care passtime. I'll accept that comment with a rather large pinch of salt. Fun police? Well they say a good offense is a great defense! However that applies.
If the shoe fits wear it. I hope your microprocessor keeps you warm tonight!
Peace!

MrJan
20th May 2010, 08:51

That's what I don't get. The SC boards were in, the lights were out and the green flags were being waved. SC was in that lap, not finishing the race, so I read the move as being fine. Baffling.

ShiftingGears
20th May 2010, 11:01
The stewards got it wrong. See Australia 2009 - race ended, the safety car pulled in on the last corner and technically it ended under the safety car - the SC boards were still showing, and the yellow flags were on full display.

Retro Formula 1
20th May 2010, 14:29
I think the FIA appreciate that the regulations and procedures need clarifying and took the decision to do so. This is the right thing to do in my opinion.

2010 FIA Formula One World Championship Monaco Grand Prix

19/05/2010

The problems identified during the final lap of the Monaco Grand Prix, counting for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship, showed a lack of clarity in the application of the rule prohibiting overtaking behind the Safety Car.

Adjustments to the regulations are necessary to clarify the procedure that cars must meet when the last lap is controlled by the Safety Car whilst also ensuring that the signaling for teams and drivers is made more clear.

These adjustments will help to avoid the problem which occurred during the Monaco Grand Prix from happening in the future.

The Formula One Commission, upon a proposal of the F1 Sporting Working Group will submit an amendment to the Sporting Regulations to address this issue. These amendments will be considered by the World Motor Sport Council at its next meeting in Geneva on June 23.

Tazio
20th May 2010, 14:44

You stoped taking your medicine, didn't you? ;)
It's probably a good idea to stay off the Kool-aid as well! :beer:

Mia 01
21st May 2010, 14:09
It takes guts to admit wrongdoing.

Tazio
21st May 2010, 14:33
It takes guts to admit wrongdoing.

Not if it's part of a pre-arranged plea-bargain :s mokin: