PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Indy Qualifying Weekend Suggestions

mkefan
17th May 2010, 15:17
I have never been to Indy before and will be going for the first time for qualifying next weekend. I am seeking any tips or suggestions anyone may have for a newbie. Looking for any tips on what to do, where to sit, parking, lodging, camping options, dining, track policies regarding coolers, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, is it best to order tickets ahead of time or buy them at the track?

Thanks!!!

dataman1
17th May 2010, 20:26
mkefan,

I live in the Indy area so my camping skills have not been tested at this track.

The past few years, before the format change, you could park inside the track, across 16th street in a large lot or south of 30th street in the North lot. West of Georgetown is the famous "Coke lot" which is huge and I have seen some camping going on there in previous years.

I tend to park at a someones house west of the track. Many will allow you to camp in their yard. Some deals are quite nice and let you use their shower, fix breakfast, etc. while others only allow parking. Just drive around to watch for home made signs.

Hotels are cheaper out in Plainfield west of the Indy Airport yet 15 miles from the Speedway, all connected by Interstates. They have lots of rooms out there with many eating places, gas stations, etc.. Interstate construction is going on I465 on the west side. Several on and off ramps effected. Saw a news report on Friday that the Speedway Police are handing out tickets for just about everything this year. My boss got nailed on Saturday for a seat belt violation.

The new format should make things more exciting so enjoy your first trip to Qualifications.