PDA

View Full Version : Bernie: "HRT have got problems"

philipbain
14th May 2010, 12:50
According to Bernie Ecclestone, HRT are in financial trouble, which is hardly surprising given the fact that they almost never made it to the grid at all and ever since they have been propping up the bottom of the time sheet. It really highlights once again just how unsound the FIA's selection process for new teams was last season, as it looks like of the 3 teams originally selected to join the grid last year that only 1 will remain at the end of this season, that being Virgin, as Lotus were granted an entry later in the process after BMW decided against lodging an entry for 2010. I can understand the FIA wanting the new intake to be more internationally diverse than having more British based teams on the grid, but there were better options than Campos/HRT and USF1, indeed, a rival Spanish bid from Epsilon Euskadi seemed much more promising at face value, as was the bid from N-Technology (Italy) who even publically called into question the FIA's selection process. I'm all for new teams and you can see that Virgin and Lotus have potential to establish themselves, but HRT have only disappointed and it looks as though they won't be around for much longer.

airshifter
15th May 2010, 04:26
Personally I think in the modern economy, it's next to impossible to ensure any new team will remain viable and on the grid. Short of simply huge resources already established, the only things the teams have is the hopes of attracting long term sponsors that join them after a car is built.