PDA

View Full Version : The Jersey City GP

veeten
4th May 2010, 13:54
Yes, a suburban park site, just in view of the New York City skyline, seems to tickle the fancy for Bernie.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83312

reminds me of Belle Isle in Michigan, near Detroit.

christophulus
4th May 2010, 14:24
Well it works for Melbourne.. If Bernie wants it to succeed then I've no doubt it will.

Old Eyes
4th May 2010, 14:30
Does that mean Tony Soprano will wave the Chequered Flag? :D

Sonic
4th May 2010, 15:39
That looks like something my 4 year old might draw! What kind of a half @rsed project id this?

UltimateDanGTR
4th May 2010, 16:41
well there is no pitlane on that drawing, which is stupid. the whole idea of a New York/New Jersey/United States grand prix is one that i'm not sure on in terms of how i think it will work for new york people, but i do think that the preliminary track plan (im assuming its the purple not the pink) may look like a childs drawing as pointed out above, but it actually looks good!

If the track was really like that, all the organisation could be sorted and the americans are prepared to travel their and new yorkers take to it then It would be fantastic. I just hope If the plans are really put into motion, That all goes well and for once bernie would be right about a location.

time will tell however.

DBell
4th May 2010, 17:33
This is a nice fantasy, but it will never happen.

First of all, where is the hundreds of millions of dollars to build it and the tens of millions to secure the rights going to come from? Taxpayer money? Forget about it, that will never fly.

Nascar couldn't get a track built in the area because of local opposition and I suspect this will be the same story. Most people in that area could care less about auto racing.

Firstgear
4th May 2010, 18:13
Most people in that area could care less about auto racing.

Judging by some of the other recent calender additions, I think that this may actually be considered as a plus.

D28
4th May 2010, 18:49
This idea was discussed pretty thoroughly a couple of weeks ago; this story changes nothing as far as I can see. the Significant quote is from the mayor:

"This was a response to an overture made by Formula 1, and Jersey City is one of several cities they are pursuing. There have been a few, preliminary conversations and this is very much in the exploratory phase".

Exactly, to be very blunt, who would build the track and the lavish F1 standard pit facilities? This is NJ, not Singapore, state officials are not awash with public funds to invest in a motor racing circuit. The last sentence may be the most revealing:

The plans for the Jersey GP come a few weeks after there was fresh speculation Indianapolis could be poised to get F1 back, with former track boss Tony George present at the Chinese Grand Prix to discuss ideas.

Blancvino
4th May 2010, 19:03
New Jersey is closing all its highway rest stops. F1 has very strict requirements regard garages, suites and other amenities. Does anyone REALLY think they will build a pit complex in a state park? This is a joke. What is Bernie really up to?

call_me_andrew
5th May 2010, 04:01
Public parks can make great street courses because they don't have grid patterns.

But a state park: that's reaching for the stars.

EDIT: I just looked at the park on Google Maps and Street View. Audrey Zapp Drive is paved with bricks, and Phillip Street is two lanes with with no shoulder and flanked by guard rails.

Rollo
5th May 2010, 06:04
The pink line (not the purple line) sort of reminds me of the layout of how Silverstone used to be before it got ronnied up after 1986.

call_me_andrew
5th May 2010, 06:44
I'm sure they're not serious about holding the race at night. A night race at 8PM Sunday in New Jersey is about 1AM Monday in Western Europe (and about 11 AM Monday in Eastern Australia).

Dr. Krogshöj
5th May 2010, 07:27
Sam Pesin, head of the Friends' board of trustees, told local newspaper the Jersey Journal: "Once you have a track there, and especially with the state's finances, there would be such pressure on the state to have regular car racing there. You'd end up having the name changed from Liberty State Park to Liberty Race Track."

Why are they fighting a hypothetical situation? Clearly, it didn't happen in Melbourne. It didn't happen in Montreal and didn't happen in Detroit.

wmcot
5th May 2010, 07:43
Seems like Bernie wants to build "Detroit II" at a thousand times the price! Does he really think anybody can afford the land in that area? Besides, NYC isn't exactly the racing capitol of the USA - at least Indy had history and heritage!

christophulus
5th May 2010, 15:44
Well it didn't last long:

Jersey City has given up on its plans to host a Formula 1 race in the future, with its mayor canning the project just one day after it was made public.

"After a review of the draft proposal prepared by the City's Tourism Office, I have come to the same conclusion...that this type of event is not suited for Liberty State Park," Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy was quoted as saying in a statement by local media.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83332

Dave B
5th May 2010, 15:47
That was quick. :erm:

D28
5th May 2010, 16:37
I wonder at reputable journals such as Autosport reporting on Bernie's pipe dreams. As American posters have pointed out, NY-NJ is about the least likely area in all USA to host and promote a GP. At least Indianapolis is hospitable to motor sport, billing itself as home of American racing, many people in NYC do not even own a car.
Each failure to attract a new group of investors to his plans for a USGP, simply weakens an already very weak hand.

UltimateDanGTR
5th May 2010, 17:33

well, there you go. i though there was a glint of hope for this project, i was wrong.

well after Tony George being seen in Shanghai, Indianapolis 2012 anyone?

ioan
5th May 2010, 18:43
Why are they fighting a hypothetical situation?

Because it's easier to prevent than to cure? Just my 2c.

D28
5th May 2010, 21:18
well, there you go. i though there was a glint of hope for this project, i was wrong.

well after Tony George being seen in Shanghai, Indianapolis 2012 anyone?

It looks increasingly like that is Bernie's sole alternative if he really wants to return to the US. I don't think he really does, but some of the sponsors probably wish to. 300 million largely affluent consumers is an attractive market. Is Tony George the man negotiating for IMS? I thought he had been removed from business planning by the family board. Anyone know of his official duties with the IMS.

Blancvino
5th May 2010, 21:47
It looks increasingly like that is Bernie's sole alternative if he really wants to return to the US. I don't think he really does, but some of the sponsors probably wish to. 300 million largely affluent consumers is an attractive market. Is Tony George the man negotiating for IMS? I thought he had been removed from business planning by the family board. Anyone know of his official duties with the IMS.

On paper, he has none. I don't think there is an appetite for the IMS board to risk F1.

DBell
5th May 2010, 22:51

As far as I know, he has none. He doesn't even have his seat on the board as he resigned that. I have seen it said that he personally owns the rights for the name United States Grand Prix.

Ari
6th May 2010, 01:15

If you ask me, looks like Bernie showed them the bill!! :D

Big Ben
6th May 2010, 07:43
Wow! That was fast. They must have beaten some kind of record :laugh: . Wow.

Easy Drifter
6th May 2010, 08:32
Cold rumour has it TG has purchased land near the thriving metropolis of Chicken and will build a new track there. Race to be held either Dec. 2012 or Jan. 2013. :s mokin:
Don't know where Chicken is? :confused:
Ask Sarah Palin. :eek:
Studded tires mandatory!!!!!!!! :D

OK OK I will stop now. :disturb:

D28
6th May 2010, 16:41
Cold rumour has it TG has purchased land near the thriving metropolis of Chicken and will build a new track there. Race to be held either Dec. 2012 or Jan. 2013. :s mokin:
Don't know where Chicken is? :confused:
Ask Sarah Palin. :eek:
Studded tires mandatory!!!!!!!! :D

OK OK I will stop now. :disturb:

Maybe true, however, Chicken seems to contradict Bernie's aversion to "The middle of nowhere" location.

jens
7th May 2010, 18:27
A Grand Prix on the streets of New York sounded too incredible to come true anyhow...