PDA

View Full Version : Pirelli now in the mix for F1 tyre race

Mysterious Rock
30th April 2010, 14:36
Pirelli to pitch for Formula One tyre supply
Pirelli tyres. GP3 Series Testing, Paul Ricard, France, 4-5 March 2010.

Italian tyre manufacturer Pirelli has announced plans to offer to supply tyres to all Formula One teams next year. Current suppliers Bridgestone are pulling out at the end of this season and a number of alternative makers are under consideration.

“Pirelli communicates its decision to present a technical and commercial offer for supply of tyres to all the teams in the Formula One world championship,” read a statement issued by Pirelli.

“The company plans to present the bid to FIA (Federation Internationale de l’Automobile) and FOA (Formula One Administration Limited) by 9 May, the date of the next Formula One Grand Prix to be held in Spain.”

Williams technical director Sam Michael revealed earlier this week that the teams had narrowed their preferred choice of supplier to two - Michelin or Cooper Avon Catalog (https://www.avoncatalog.net) - but Pirelli’s announcement means a final decision by the FIA is unlikely to be imminent.

Pirelli have a strong F1 pedigree, having won 44 Grands Prix between 1950 and 1991.

From Formula1.com

Well I guess there will be no decision anytime soon then

Mysterious Rock
30th April 2010, 14:39
Also on ITV F1

Italian tyre manufacturer Pirelli has confirmed its intention to join the bidding process to supply tyres to the Formula 1 field next season.

Michelin And Cooper Avon had been the only firms in the running to replace Bridgestone but Pirelli – which has competed in F1 over three different stints in the past – has now revealed it will present a proposal to the teams and the sport’s stakeholders by the time of the Spanish Grand Prix next weekend.

“Pirelli communicates its decision to present a technical and commercial offer for supply of tyres to all the teams in the Formula 1 world championship,” the company said in a statement

“The company plans to present the bid to FIA (Federation Internationale de
l'Automobile) and FOA (Formula One Administration Limited) by 9 May, the date of the next Formula One Grand Prix to be held in Spain.”

French tyre supplier Michelin had until recently been thought to be the only company in the running to succeed former rival Bridgestone as F1’s tyre supplier, the firm having presented teams with a proposal to switch to 18-inch wheel rims for 2011.

However, American company Cooper last week confirmed it was also in talks with the FIA to enter the sport through its Avon brand and its lower-cost bid is reportedly favoured by Bernie Ecclestone.

Having been involved in F1 for eight years from the world championship’s inception in 1950, Pirelli returned to the grid in 1981-1986 before re-entering the sport for a further two-year stint from 1989.

Must be serious now I guess

UltimateDanGTR
30th April 2010, 16:41
wow Pirelli would be cool. I want to see multiple suppliers, It would be good and the variety would be like it 'used to be' to coin a rose tinted spectacle phrase.

fandango
30th April 2010, 18:31
Having more than one tyre supplier is a big change to F1. Tyre wars are not really what they want. I think that what they should do is let two or more companies supply tyres, but let the teams choose which ones to use. At the moment, Bridgestone brings two compounds and the teams have to use both in the race.

What about the situation where three tyre companies each bring two compounds to a race, and the drivers could use any two? Would that work?

gloomyDAY
1st May 2010, 06:24
I'd really like to see Pirellis on Ferrari's cars.
Once the tires disintegrate in the middle of a stint we can all have a good laugh. :p

I think Pirelli should be taken seriously. They are the sole tire supplier in the WRC and I like their tire compounds. Many WRC fans will gripe about the tire, but it held up really well last season and seems to be doing well this season too. If they can bring the same quality product to F1, then sweet.

ShiftingGears
1st May 2010, 07:05
I think Pirelli should be taken seriously.

They need to prove themselves in competition because when there was tyre competition in the WRC, they were nowhere.

They should be taken seriously once they deliver results.

ioan
1st May 2010, 09:49
They need to prove themselves in competition because when there was tyre competition in the WRC, they were nowhere.

They should be taken seriously once they deliver results.

Exactly.

ioan
1st May 2010, 09:52
Back to the idea of having several tire suppliers and why this isn't in the interest of the teams.
First of all because without testing the teams have little input into how the tires are developed.
Secondly because the tires are the only one essential part on a car that can make the difference between a win or last place. In other words you can have the best car, but if the tires are sh!ty you won't achieve anything, the other way around if you have a so so car but great tires you will perform better than a good car on bad tires. Using the very same tires as the competition does is a blessing to all teams who can build a good car, they would have nothing to win from a situation with several tire suppliers.

Mysterious Rock
1st May 2010, 09:58
I think its a better choice than the others, it will look good on the tyre wall, Avon or Copper dont fit the image of F1 with the name, Perhaps someone should photoshop some pics to show the named tyres on current f1 cars. Michies had there chance.

AndyRAC
1st May 2010, 18:46
Pirelli...........ha ha ha...what a joke!!

When they were up against Michelin in WRC, they were rubbish.

However, let them in, as well as Michelin, Avon, Kuhmo....
F1 shouldn't have a control tyre if it's meant to be the 'Pinnacle'.

SGWilko
1st May 2010, 20:12

F1 shouldn't have a control tyre if it's meant to be the 'Pinnacle'.

Maybe they should be awarded the contract to supply tyres for wheelie bins in the paddock.....

Mysterious Rock
2nd May 2010, 01:52
well if they are that bad then thats what f1 needs, tyres with poor grip, that will improve the racing, or perhaps even tyres with good grip that dont last long, they not be great but think of the racing

ShiftingGears
2nd May 2010, 03:55
well if they are that bad then thats what f1 needs, tyres with poor grip, that will improve the racing, or perhaps even tyres with good grip that dont last long, they not be great but think of the racing

I would prefer tyre companies who can show that they can achieve targets they set, thanks.

tf109b
3rd May 2010, 02:07
rally tires are not f1 tires

gloomyDAY
3rd May 2010, 06:23
I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt. If Pirelli have the resources and appetite to win, then let them play. There's only one way to prove if your tires are good enough for F1. Join.

F1 shouldn't have a control tyre if it's meant to be the 'Pinnacle'.When was the last time Pirelli and Michelin went head-to-head in the WRC? I remember that Subaru was one of the last manufacturers to use Pirellis when everyone else was on Michelins. Maybe Pirelli didn't win because the Subaru Impreza was such a poorly performing car.

Malbec
3rd May 2010, 11:15
If there is only one manufacturer providing a spec tyre then I don't think the exact branding is going to make much difference. It is not that hard to produce the spec tyres Bridgestone has come up with this season, their tyres this year are nowhere near as advanced as the stuff they have come up with in the past when they were locked in battle with Michelin. The tyres are designed and produced down to a much lower cost than previously.

If Pirelli or Avon are not that capable of producing great tyres we will not see the effects with single spec tyres but only when there is a tyre war. That isn't the case.

donKey jote
3rd May 2010, 21:42
How about several suppliers instead of several compounds, and each tire must be used at least once during the race :p

V12
6th May 2010, 12:58
So it's basically going to be a choice between Pirelli, Michelin and Avon.

Given Michelin's "previous" with the whole Indy thing, and the fact that generally speaking they produce winning tyres when in a competitive situation, that probably rules them out.

I've nothing against Pirelli, and while Michelin generally speaking owned them in the WRC, there was a period around the turn of the millennium when there wasn't much in it, and on certain rallies Pirelli had a significant edge meaning usually uncompetitive cars like the big SEAT Cordobas could challenge for podiums.

There you go, a way of shaking up the order without resorting to any nonsense.

I want all three :(

christophulus
7th May 2010, 14:27
Once again, there is a risk of common sense breaking out.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83372

Pirelli has submitted its bid to become Formula 1's sole supplier of tyres for 2011 to the FIA, AUTOSPORT has learned, with the Italian company adamant that a tyre war is not the right direction for the sport to head next season.

AUTOSPORT understands that Pirelli would be willing to open up the prospect of a tyre war from 2013, which would give its engineers and teams a two-year transition period to make the move to the much talked-about 18-inch tyres.

It is believed that Michelin is already ready to consider delaying the introduction of 18-inch tyres for several years so teams do not face huge development costs in adapting their cars to totally new rubber for next season, while Pirelli is equally open to a compromise solution.

Get someone in to carry on with the 13" rims, and sort out a proper tyre war on the new spec in 2013. Logical.

V12
7th May 2010, 15:13
Get someone in to carry on with the 13" rims, and sort out a proper tyre war on the new spec in 2013. Logical.

Well yeah...being both honest and realistic, if you offered that deal to me as a fan I'd take it (unless that Mayan doomsday prophecy thing comes true!), but a 2013 tyre war is not guaranteed even with 18" rims so we'll see...

jens
7th May 2010, 18:55
Maybe Pirelli didn't win because the Subaru Impreza was such a poorly performing car.

That could be a point, because after Subaru had switched to BF Goodrichs for 2007 like everyone else, their performance really didn't improve.

I'm in two minds about tyre wars. Firstly, it could offer interesting performance variables and enable some underdog teams to put in some real surprises (well, various races in the 1997 season could be a good example here). But then again it must be mentioned that if the gap in tyre performances is huge (like Hungary '06), it will be annoying. But a similar or little difference with different tyre characteristics (some perform better on some circuits, other on others) could end up in a nice mix. On the other hand I'm not sure a tyre war can be afforded in the era of cost-cutting.

Mysterious Rock
17th May 2010, 17:20
Well more news from ITV F1 on the Topic

Cooper Avon has also expressed its interest, but Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali said the teams were most seriously considered Michelin and Pirelli - which were last present in F1 in 2006 and 1990 respectively.

"In my view, and not only my view, there are still only two possibilities: Michelin or Pirelli," said Domenicali.

The Formula One Teams Association had hoped to make a final decision in a meeting in Monte Carlo yesterday, but failed to reach agreement.

"We had another meeting but no decision," Domenicali admitted.

"Maybe next weekend we won't be able to see each other all together but hopefully we will be able to find a solution."

Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn acknowledged that time was getting tight to choose the 2011 tyre supply.

"I think both the tyre companies and car designers want to get on and start doing things now, otherwise there are going to be compromises, it's going to be expensive, and worst of all someone might get lucky and find they've designed their car around a tyre and get it right, and others don't through no fault of their own, just a lack of time," he said.

But he argued that it was a good sign that in-depth deliberations were required, as it meant there was plenty of interest in F1 from the tyre firms.

"We're in a better position than we were a few months ago because Formula 1 has now got some serious proposals - whereas a few months ago we had nothing," said Brawn.

"So we're greatly encouraged by the interest."

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=48462

Could well be Pirelli as I cant see Michelin after their cock up at Indy

V12
18th May 2010, 15:32
The question has to be, if it is a matter of Michelin or Pirelli, is Michelin's proposal still based around the 18 inch wheels (in which case it will probably be Pirelli), or are Michelin willing to come back under the current tyre regulations? If that is the case, then the teams and FIA should stop messing about and let both in, for the sake of the sport.