PDA

View Full Version : Indy And Sportscar Stars Sign For Gold Coast V8s

bblocker68
22nd April 2010, 16:11
Wow, looks cool!!

Per SpeedTV:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/gt-indy-and-sportscar-stars-sign-for-gold-coast-v8-supercars/

The Armor All Gold Coast 600 will feature one of the greatest and most varied line-ups of driver talent in Australian motorsport history on the streets of Surfers Paradise, Queensland, Australia from October 22-24.

In a unique concept developed specifically for the Gold Coast V8 Supercar event, 18 of the world’s greatest drivers will team up with local home-grown talent for two 300km races on the world’s most spectacular street course.

The list is a who’s who of world motorsport including former Formula 1, CART and Indy 500 champion, Jacques Villeneuve. The Canadian was to be on the Gold Coast for tonight’s lavish launch, but was stranded in Europe because of the volcanic ash turning that part of the world into a no-fly zone.

The list includes current international Australian aces David Brabham, Ryan Briscoe and Will Power, Kiwi Scott Dixon, Scottish ace and former Gold Coast Champ Car race winner Dario Franchitti, North America’s most successful road course racer and 1997 Gold Coast winner, Scott Pruett, four-time Champ Car and two-time Gold Coast winner Sebastien Bourdais from France, former European F1 drivers and current touring car and sportscar guns Heinz-Harold Frentzen (Germany), Tiago Monteiro (Portugal), Mika Salo (Finland), Andy Priaulx (UK), Gianni Morbidelli (Italy), Fabrizio Giovanardi (Italy), Alain Menu (Switzerland) and Yvan Muller (France).

The final list of drivers was announced at a spectacular event on the Gold Coast tonight by State Premier, Anna Bligh and V8 Supercars Chairman, Tony Cochrane.

Also announced on the night was a massive three-day music extravaganza featuring some of the world’s biggest acts, a four-year naming rights sponsorship with Armor All, a new ticketing pricing structure which will see tickets drop by an average of 20% and a new family-friendly focus on the event.

“When we first announced the concept for the Gold Coast race a few people were a little skeptical, but I think the list we have announced today proves just how special this event is going to be,” said Cochrane.

“This is one of the greatest line-ups of talent we have seen in world motorsport and to have the caliber of these international drivers mixed with our own V8 Supercar stars on the streets of Surfers Paradise is going to be something special.

“When we mix the racing action with the 16 fantastic music acts we have secured for our unique Rock and Race format, we will have something special on the streets of Surfers Paradise in October.”

Englishman Mark Blundell was originally announced as part of the initial line-up a couple of months ago, but increasing commitments with his business 2mb Sports Management has meant his withdrawal.

The international drivers are set to arrive on the Gold Coast on the Sunday before the event and will be involved in a week of activity, including a full-day test at Queensland Raceway on Wednesday, October 20.

The event will include two 300km races on Saturday and Sunday of the event, with the international drivers required to complete a minimum of 30% of each of the races.

Each two-car team must run at least one international driver.

- Sebastien Bourdais – France – Dick Johnson Racing
- David Brabham – Australia – Stone Brothers Racing
- Ryan Briscoe – Australia – Toll Holden Racing Team
- Scott Dixon – NZ – Jack Daniel’s Racing
- Dario Franchitti – Scotland – Jim Beam Racing
- Heinz-Harald Frentzen – Germany – Wilson Security Racing
- Fabrizio Giovanardi – Italy – Brad Jones Racing
- Patrick Long – USA – Fujitsu Racing
- Alain Menu – Switzerland –Brad Jones Racing
- Tiago Monteiro – Portugal – Centaur Racing
- Gianni Morbidelli – Italy – Triple F Racing
- Yvan Muller – France – Paul Morris Motorsport
- Will Power – Australia – Ford Performance Racing
- Andy Priaulx – UK – TeamVodafone
- Scott Pruett – USA – Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport
- Mika Salo – Finland – Bundaberg Red Racing Team
- Alex Tagliani – Canada – Kelly Racing
- Jacques Villeneuve – Canada – The Bottle-O Racing Team

Many of the drivers say they can't wait for the Gold Coast 600 to get under way.

“I have some unfinished business on the Gold Coast and maybe we can get it done in a V8 Supercar,” said Will Power. “I am looking forward to a great season with Team Penske in the Indy Racing League and then having the chance to race a V8 Supercar in front of a Queensland home crowd on the Gold Coast will be the icing on the cake. “There are so many of us who seriously missed not racing on the Gold Coast last year and it’s great news that the event has survived last year’s drama and will move forward with this unique format. “There are so many drivers around the world who have asked me what it is like to drive a V8 Supercar, now a lot of them will get their chance to find out.”

“I have the honor of being the only driver to have won the Gold Coast Champ Car race twice and that is something that I am very proud of,” said Sebastien Bourdais. “The Gold Coast is a special event for any driver who races there – it is such a fantastic place and this year I am hoping to explore the region and Queensland a little more. The concept for the Gold Coast 600 is fantastic and I cannot wait to get back out there in a V8 Supercar – racing against the best V8 Supercars have to offer as well as a host of guys who I have been racing against in some form or another all over the world through my career. The interest in this event in Europe is already starting to gain momentum, especially in the driver ranks, where plenty of guys are already putting up their hand for next year. I look forward to teaming up with Jonathon Webb at Dick Johnson Racing.

“Since it will be a first for me in V8, the expectations are measured but I hope I can do well enough to well enough to deserve everyone’s trust. See you in the streets of Surfers in October.”

“The Gold Coast and the October event have been synonymous with the world’s great motorsport events for many years and it is fantastic that this concept has been put together for its 20th anniversary celebrations,” said GRAND-AM champion Pruett. “This will provide a real re-birth to the event and take it back to the glory days of the late 90s and early 00s. “I loved my years on the Gold Coast, especially my victory in 1997 – ironically that year I was actually on my honeymoon with my wife, Judy. “My drive in a V8 Supercar at Bathurst later that year was a great experience and one I am looking forward to repeating.

“I don’t need any excuse to come to Australia, so when I received a call to be part of this program I jumped at the chance. I think the opportunity to drive a V8 Supercar on one of the world’s greatest street courses will be pretty attractive to plenty of the world’s great drivers.”

nigelred5
22nd April 2010, 20:59
Sounds like an awesome field, too bad they aren't in Champcars

ChicagocrewIRL
23rd April 2010, 05:14
It's sad that those V8 Supercars look like Cup Cars.

Stock cars on a street course = sadness.

Yes I don't know anything about V8 Supercars :)

harvick#1
23rd April 2010, 05:16
what a list :D

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2010, 07:21

ARE you insane? FIRST off, they look more like the old Trans AM. Second, I know from watching YEARS worth of NASCAR races, the road courses are often the most wild and wooly events on their sched.

THIRD....if you watch this series all the time, you would realize they put on good races and NEVER see an OVAL.

Dirty little secret for ya...most of the world doesn't GET oval racing AT all.

harvick#1
23rd April 2010, 16:36

watch a V8 Supercar race and you'll enjoy it, and no, they do not look like Cup cars ;) they still doors and lights that function :laugh:

garyshell
23rd April 2010, 16:42

Obviously.

Gary

SUBARUTEAM
23rd April 2010, 20:50
i might have to book my flights - the gold coast is a great weekend event and the v8 super cars are cool.

if you only watch 2 v8 supercar races this year, make it the bathurst 1000 and this gold coast event - it will be huge!!

ShiftingGears
24th April 2010, 07:23

To that statement, I give you this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuvd_7JJJ9w&feature=related

They're nowhere near as inept as cup cars on road and street courses.

SUBARUTEAM
24th April 2010, 21:29
the greatest lap on the greatest track in the world!!!

Mark in Oshawa
25th April 2010, 03:58
the greatest lap on the greatest track in the world!!!

World's fastest Kiwi IMO.....

My favourite driver in the series I know THAT....

No...for anyone to compare that Holden to a Sprint Cup car hasn't seen them.....

Mind you...I would love to see a Sprint Cup car run the mountain. It wouldn't get close to that time, but by god that power would make those long straights shrink...I suspect a Cup car would haul 200 plus...and I don't believe Murph's Holden would have seen much more than about 185...

SUBARUTEAM
26th April 2010, 00:07
Jez a cup car would be a hand full over the top of the mountain!!

would a cup car and a v8 super car have similar HP?

I'm guessing, but I would suggest that a v8 supercar would be 6 - 8 seconds a lap quicker then a cup car around bathurst.

Mark in Oshawa
26th April 2010, 01:05
Jez a cup car would be a hand full over the top of the mountain!!yes...anything is tho...that track is NASTY...

would a cup car and a v8 super car have similar HP?No..the Cup car has about 800 plus. I read the Aussie V8's sit around 500 and change....

The Cup car is undertired and heavier, BUT in a straight line, they will eat up a lot more ground once they get up past 70mph vs the Aussie V8

I'm guessing, but I would suggest that a v8 supercar would be 6 - 8 seconds a lap quicker then a cup car around bathurst.

Probably be a fun compairsion. I have seen the Cup boys race at Watkins Glen and I can honestly tell you they are far better on fast tracks with sweeping corners than people realize. With their greater power, they might gain some ground on the long straight to and from the mountain. That said, I think the Murph's lap record would be VERY safe...

Mark in Oshawa
26th April 2010, 03:45
All the previous is fun of course, but this is the IndyCar forum!??!

YA...lol...but we drew the thread out for a few more posts. Until the Indycar guys actually get behind the wheels of these cars, this sucker goes dormant. So me and the Aussies there had to milk it a little. Besides, a few people obviously don't know what the Aussie V8 Touring car series is or the level of the cars...

NASCAR it aint...in a good way...