PDA

View Full Version : Chance to steal Budweiser?

MDS
20th April 2010, 18:19
Apparently Budweiser is looking for new options per jasyski:

Michael Waltrip Racing's Ty Norris was entertaining representatives from Budweiser this weekend at Texas. Norris has a history with Budweiser dating back to his Dale Earnhardt Inc. days when Budweiser was sponsoring the #8 Chevy. With Kasey Kahne parting ways wih Richard Petty Motorsports at the end of the season, it's likely that Budweiser will be entertaining offers

Budweiser has been spinning down its involvement in NASCAR for years now, giving up the pole award and dropping the number of races its a primary sponsor.

The case could be made that Bud has accomplished all that it can in NASCAR, and moving into the IRL would offer it new opportunities at a lower cost. Indy has a different demographic and one of the sports biggest names, Graham Rahal, is available for a long term contract, which would allow Bud to build a campaign around him the same way they did for Jr., but at a lower cost.

At least that's the pitch I would make if I were in that position. If the IRL were to steal away part, or all, of Budweiser's sponsorship dollars it would be a major coup for the sport.

TURN3
20th April 2010, 18:51

Budweiser has been spinning down its involvement in NASCAR for years now, giving up the pole award and dropping the number of races its a primary sponsor.

The case could be made that Bud has accomplished all that it can in NASCAR, and moving into the IRL would offer it new opportunities at a lower cost. Indy has a different demographic and one of the sports biggest names, Graham Rahal, is available for a long term contract, which would allow Bud to build a campaign around him the same way they did for Jr., but at a lower cost.

At least that's the pitch I would make if I were in that position. If the IRL were to steal away part, or all, of Budweiser's sponsorship dollars it would be a major coup for the sport.

That is a great idea. And wasn't Bud on Bobby's car when he won Indy? Maybe wrong year. Then again I guess Miller was on his car during a couple of championships so maybe the family connection wouldn't be as strong as my initial thought.

Mark in Oshawa
20th April 2010, 19:03
If Bud comes to the IRL, then they will be seeing something in the ratings you and I haven't been. Let's face it, this story has legs if the IRL is on network TV with ratings that are above at test pattern. They might be game to come over if they see something they can use, but I do think that the Bud sponsorship is going to either subside or maybe lay low for a while. The Europeans who own Anheiser Busch may be more open to pushing the brand into the IRL but the IRL has to show the growth IMO.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but there is a lot of things that have to fall into place I think.

anthonyvop
20th April 2010, 19:08

Give us a reason for Budweiser to sponsor an ICS team besides wishing it will happen.

For Bud the R.O.I. is nowhere near what they would require. Stranger business decisions have happened but not with InBev.

MDS
20th April 2010, 19:38
Give us a reason for Budweiser to sponsor an ICS team besides wishing it will happen.

For Bud the R.O.I. is nowhere near what they would require. Stranger business decisions have happened but not with InBev.

R.O.I isn't isn't based on sheer eyeballs, but rather the quality of the contact that you make.

In NASCAR you share a percentage of fairly large demographic pie, but that demographic is pretty muddled. Probably 70 percent of NASCAR's coverage goes to the Hendrick, Joe Gibbs and Richard Childress cars. If you're not on a winning team, and Kane isn't winning right now, you're going to have a limited return on your investment because the field is so crowded.

Basically the argument would be to go to Chip. They want to go to a third car, and Budweiser could fund a third car for Graham and have a limited Cup schedule with Ganassi/DEI. By doing that you could build your marketing program around Rahal (Who is 21 now btw) and still benefit from the biggest NASCAR events by doing a five-six race deal with Chip either for signage on McMurray or Montoya's car or a third car in specific races with big ratings (Daytona, Indy, ect.) That way you could probably cut down your total sponsorship spend, from the $10 million they're spending now to $7-$8 million and get a similar RIO.

Mark in Oshawa
20th April 2010, 19:57
R.O.I isn't isn't based on sheer eyeballs, but rather the quality of the contact that you make.

In NASCAR you share a percentage of fairly large demographic pie, but that demographic is pretty muddled. Probably 70 percent of NASCAR's coverage goes to the Hendrick, Joe Gibbs and Richard Childress cars. If you're not on a winning team, and Kane isn't winning right now, you're going to have a limited return on your investment because the field is so crowded.

Basically the argument would be to go to Chip. They want to go to a third car, and Budweiser could fund a third car for Graham and have a limited Cup schedule with Ganassi/DEI. By doing that you could build your marketing program around Rahal (Who is 21 now btw) and still benefit from the biggest NASCAR events by doing a five-six race deal with Chip either for signage on McMurray or Montoya's car or a third car in specific races with big ratings (Daytona, Indy, ect.) That way you could probably cut down your total sponsorship spend, from the $10 million they're spending now to $7-$8 million and get a similar RIO.

First off, Chip would likely rather start a 3rd NASCAR team than put Bud money into the IRL.

ROI means little if the TV product isn't getting the eyeballs. There is no ROI really without some tv ratings for that passive impact.

Bud isn't bailing on Kasey just yet. Kasey is a young guy, who will be in the best team in NASCAR in 2 years....so considering they have him under a personal services contract right now means they hold all the options, and if they stay with him, they could gain exposure.

I don't see Bud going to the IRL in any case. There is no there there...just speculation. Show me a link where Bud money is said to be out there for another NASCAR team, and I will buy that. I wont make the leap that a Chip Ganassi would take that influence to the IRL...

Jag_Warrior
20th April 2010, 20:16
Lots of things have changed at Budweiser (Anheuser-Busch) since InBev took over. Several plants that were supposed to have been built (including one in my area) have now been shelved. They left the NHRA. Now it sounds like they may be dialing back in NASCAR. Budweiser was in AOWR for years, as was Miller. Both left, and things were in better shape when they left than they are now.

IMO, the only way the IRL is going to be able to "steal Budweiser" is to find an unattended delivery truck and snag as many cases as possible before the driver comes back out of the store.

Sorry, I just don't see it.

ykiki
20th April 2010, 20:25
In past years they were active in sponsoring races (Portland - Budweiser/G.I. Joe's 200), but I'm not sure that wasn't just the local distributor stepping up instead of "corporate" Budweiser.

As far as sponsoring the IRL in its current form - I just don't see it.

EagleEye
20th April 2010, 20:53

TV ratings.

If TV ratings where higher, wait, if the TV ratings even registered on any marketing analysist tracking, then this could be viable. As is, this is not going to happen.

Having said that, Indy still has ratings and Bob and Graham could pull the stops out. But Bob ended up with a longer relationship with Miller, so who knows.

I think Bud was with Al Jr. the last year Al ran with Patrick Racing, I think.

anthonyvop
20th April 2010, 21:20

We are talking Budweiser.
What contacts would they make in the IRL that would sell product?

Beer sales at the events?
Nope...Those are the domain of the individual venues.

Eyeballs at the events?
With the numbers the IRL is drawing at most events it wouldn't be worth it.

Business contacts to sell products?

Fact is that it almost as much to sponsor a rear pack ICS team as it does to sponsor the equivalent NASCAR team.

Mark in Oshawa
20th April 2010, 21:54
AS I said...there is no "there" there...

SoCalPVguy
20th April 2010, 23:34
I am sure "Bud" is very anxious to reach out and advertise to all those Versus viewers... all 12 of them.

MDS
21st April 2010, 00:20
I am sure "Bud" is very anxious to reach out and advertise to all those Versus viewers... all 12 of them.

Actually, I heard ratings for the race averaged like a .51 and peaked around .8 or so, which is close to 100 percent growth from last year.

Yeah, the ratings suck, but the ICS is showing improvements, not to mention a pretty decent demo mix as far as age and income goes, so things aren't as a bad as they might seem. They're also getting a decent DVR 24 hour watch rate, which is weird for live sporting events.

I've been saying for a while this year that all the ICS has to do is show marked improvement in the ratings, and so far they're doing that.

edv
21st April 2010, 00:39
They should resurrect the 'Miss Budweiser' moniker and slap it on Simona's car.

They've dropped out of Powerboats and Drag Racing, and no one knows if they'll follow Kasey. I highly doubt they'd sponsor anything in ICS except maybe an I500 entry driven by Junior with the number 8 on it. LOL

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 00:49
Actually, I heard ratings for the race averaged like a .51 and peaked around .8 or so, which is close to 100 percent growth from last year.

Yeah, the ratings suck, but the ICS is showing improvements, not to mention a pretty decent demo mix as far as age and income goes, so things aren't as a bad as they might seem. They're also getting a decent DVR 24 hour watch rate, which is weird for live sporting events.

I've been saying for a while this year that all the ICS has to do is show marked improvement in the ratings, and so far they're doing that.

So if they went from 12 to 24, they have doubled the ratings, but that isn't much in the end right? Ok...they have more than 24...and they are growing. I wont kick em for that, but if Budweiser is going to leave NASCAR for the IRL, I am thinking a .8 on VS isn't what they have in mind...

dataman1
21st April 2010, 18:32

They've dropped out of Powerboats and Drag Racing, and no one knows if they'll follow Kasey. I highly doubt they'd sponsor anything in ICS except maybe an I500 entry driven by Junior with the number 8 on it. LOL

I don't recall them doing as many Super Bowl commercials either. I can only recall one. What ever happened to the frogs?

Jag_Warrior
21st April 2010, 19:56

Wow, powerboat racing too? So the Miss Budweiser is no more? :(

Jag_Warrior
21st April 2010, 20:01

Are they? I'm not suggesting that you're not telling the truth, but ratings data can no longer be (easily) verified. The truth is, we don't know (for a fact) what the ratings look like this season. It just strikes me as rather odd that once the ratings can no longer be verified, they all of a sudden explode upward.

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 20:41
Wow, powerboat racing too? So the Miss Budweiser is no more? :(

Hasn't been for a while. Bernie Little owned the Miss Budweiser boats and he passed away a few years ago.

I think the unlimited hydroplanes have pretty much gone bye bye anyhow...

The magic for me was lost when they went from the Rolls Royce Griffon's and Merlins, and went to gas turbines...

nigelred5
22nd April 2010, 01:44
Actually, a friend of mine's son drives GP boats and unlimiteds. They race the GP boats up your way quite often where they get paid for racing, not for trophies.

http://www.teamshaneracing.com/images/U1_celina5_crisp.jpg

the series is nowhere what it was in the 70's and 80's,but they are still around. Inboard hydroplanes in general aren't what they used to be. They lost their 'edge" considering the average lake racer or bass boat can give many of the inboards a run for their money these days.

call_me_andrew
22nd April 2010, 02:06
Budweiser has shown very little interest in motorsports since the Inbev takeover.

DBell
22nd April 2010, 05:35
Are they? I'm not suggesting that you're not telling the truth, but ratings data can no longer be (easily) verified. The truth is, we don't know (for a fact) what the ratings look like this season. It just strikes me as rather odd that once the ratings can no longer be verified, they all of a sudden explode upward.

I feel the same way. After years of seeing both the IRL and Champcar report attendance numbers that were pure fantasy, I'll need independent verification of any numbers that that the IRL puts out before I believe them. I hope it's true, but I'm skeptical.

IF the ratings are .6 or so,then they are around where they were before the switch to Versus. Those numbers didn't bring big name sponsors before, so I fail to understand why they would be good enough now.

Marbles
22nd April 2010, 13:36
Wasn't the last time American OW saw Budweiser was when they cut short their sponsorship deal with Bernstein\Scott Goodyear circa '96? I can't see them coming back anytime soon.

dataman1
22nd April 2010, 20:54
Wasn't the last time American OW saw Budweiser was when they cut short their sponsorship deal with Bernstein\Scott Goodyear circa '96? I can't see them coming back anytime soon.

Where is Donald Davidson when we need him?

nigelred5
22nd April 2010, 20:56
Spaten may be a more appopriate sponsor if the ratings don't improve significantly ;)

http://luekensliquors.com/store/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/images/spaten.gif

FormerFF
23rd April 2010, 02:12
It used to be that a large portion of motorsports sponsorships came from three industries: tobacco, beer, and automotive products. Tobacco advertising is, of course, pretty much gone from almost all media. In the U. S, the brewing industry has consolidated into two large companies that are owned by multinationals. The car care and automotive products businesses are not what they were, both from takeovers and buyouts, and from the reduced need for maintenance for today's cars.

It's no wonder that sponsorships are harder to come by, there are far fewer potential sponsors.

call_me_andrew
23rd April 2010, 03:21
If we could get Pabst on board we might have a connection to the hipster market.

Of course they'd only be watching races ironically.

Jag_Warrior
23rd April 2010, 10:45
Actually, a friend of mine's son drives GP boats and unlimiteds. They race the GP boats up your way quite often where they get paid for racing, not for trophies.

the series is nowhere what it was in the 70's and 80's,but they are still around. Inboard hydroplanes in general aren't what they used to be. They lost their 'edge" considering the average lake racer or bass boat can give many of the inboards a run for their money these days.

I know this is kind of off-topic, but that is one SWEET lookin' machine!!! :bounce:

I am evil Homer
23rd April 2010, 11:19
Playing Devils Avacado here:

Maybe Bud would see the move as ideal. Chances are they could get a very, very competitvely priced package (favouring a better ROI even on low viewing figures). Further, they may see it as a calculated risk after all many companies act like sheep, one jumps another follows etc etc.

Bud then gets a great deal, cheaply and could see a massive upswing if more follow and all of a sudden broadcasters and casual fans take more interest in it.

That said, I think someone at a team or the series would need to present a compelling argument that right now might not be there. A team like SFR would seem ideal - you as a sponsor could play up the whole backing the underdog slant and prepare marketing around that etc. Just depends how much of a risk the Bud team would take and the sort of money we're talking.

gm99
23rd April 2010, 13:37

They were primary sponsor of Richie Hearn's car at Della Penna in 1999, I think.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2010, 15:38

I don't know about that Nige, those 4000 hp turbines would run along at 160 or so on the water...that is hauling and the f1 boats pretty much max out around 110. On water that extra few mph is really hard to do....

I do know the thunder of six unlimiteds coming to the line was something to witness.

nigelred5
23rd April 2010, 19:21
I don't know about that Nige, those 4000 hp turbines would run along at 160 or so on the water...that is hauling and the f1 boats pretty much max out around 110. On water that extra few mph is really hard to do....

I do know the thunder of six unlimiteds coming to the line was something to witness.

Yeah, the unlimiteds are the exception but there's basically what, six of them actually running these days. I've been over 100 in a boat more times than i can count, but I do run out of fingers and toes pretty quickly ;) I've run boats most of my life. I could out-run just about any of them in my Hydrostream, and it's not even close in a Skater with twin EFI Mercs, but most inboard hydroplanes are no match for an outboard powered boat. I had a former champ boat that could literally run circles around an equal sized inboard.. Jimmy's a current hot-foot and it was awesome to see him get behind the wheel of the Unlimited Boats. It's been a while since I've been able to see the unlimiteds in person. It's is quite a sight, that is for sure.

gm99
24th April 2010, 11:20
Was that direct (from AB) sponsorship or was it through Hearn's long time sponsor which I think was Ralph's Food or something like that? Sort of like Long Beach used to be the Toyota Grand Prix, but Toyota was never involved. It was the west coast Toyota Dealer's Association which was the real sponsor.

I just dug out an old promotional hand-out from Della Penna from '99. It says "Budweiser - Official Beer of CART" so I would assume Anheuser-Busch were involved in some way, but I don't know for certain.

V12
27th April 2010, 14:58
That's OK, I've shown very little interest in Bud since I discovered good beer.
:p :

But Budweiser is a quality beer!

http://www.pivovary.info/prehled/budvar/l_budvar12.jpg

Oh wait...

dataman1
27th April 2010, 15:30
OT Not defending InBev but I went to their web pages and they have rights to many brands of international beers, many that are quite good. They also have 50% ownership in the Modelo brands out of Mexico. Interesting.

garyshell
27th April 2010, 17:00
The basic Bud and Bud Light brands though are just a step above swill.

No they ARE swill. However some of thier other brands are excellent, Spaten is one of my favs, the Double Spaten in particular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InBev_brands

Gary

Mark in Oshawa
27th April 2010, 20:09
INbev is the same people who own Labatt's and Stella Artois. The beer family they are part of is massive. Also, for those who see Bud as swill, also have to know that the local versions of it in other nations has no taste common to the toilet water I have had as Bud in the US. Bud in Canada is brewed in Labatt's facility in London ON, and it might as well be another brand...

IN short...InBev is an interesting massive company with many really good brands..and Bud...lol. That said, they didn't get that big by not grasping some marketing principles..and I think they just decided they are going to go away from racing as a marketing vehicle as it stands.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't see them heading to the IRL...

nigelred5
28th April 2010, 03:26
No they ARE swill. However some of thier other brands are excellent, Spaten is one of my favs, the Double Spaten in particular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InBev_brands

Gary

I drank a six of Spaten Dunkel last week that was nothing short of awe inspiring. Only reason I stopped was I bought the only six the store had! Franziskaner has been my beverage of choice for probably going on 20 now. I've been a huge fan of the Spaten brands for over 30 years and have gone to great lengths at times to keep myself in a regular supply when none were distributed locally. I wish the hell I could get Hofbrau. no one distributes it within 100 miles of here. :angry:

Oh Bud. Meh. It's passable when you are 17 sneakin an 8 pack of pony bottles before you discover real beer. I still wouldn't sneeze at their marketing budget if they were offering. They have put out some very drinkable brews under the Michelob brands,

but really.."Michelob Ultra Pomegranate Raspberry"... really.... Pomegranate Rasberry?? That's actaully a BEER?? That just sounds as bad the fabled cranberry nut crunch ale.

Mark in Oshawa
28th April 2010, 06:12
but really.."Michelob Ultra Pomegranate Raspberry"... really.... Pomegranate Rasberry?? That's actaully a BEER?? That just sounds as bad the fabled cranberry nut crunch ale.

Listen to Denis Leary's take on flavoured coffee...and substitute beer!

garyshell
28th April 2010, 06:44
Listen to Denis Leary's take on flavoured coffee...and substitute beer!

There are fruit flavored beers and then there are Lambic's. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/10 Some of these are actually quite good. I've also had some really good infused hefweizen brews as well.

Gary

anthonyvop
28th April 2010, 13:24
Yes, and to their credit they have been introducing some interesting craft beers. The basic Bud and Bud Light brands though are just a step above swill.

Isn't that all beers? To me they all taste similar.

garyshell
28th April 2010, 16:52
Isn't that all beers? To me they all taste similar.

So you can taste no difference between a Budweiser and a Guinness Stout? Gee, why does this not surprise me at all?

Gary

anthonyvop
28th April 2010, 20:34
So you can taste no difference between a Budweiser and a Guinness Stout? Gee, why does this not surprise me at all?

Gary

Lighten up Francis!!!

Mark in Oshawa
29th April 2010, 00:19

Gary

Me thinks Tony doesn't do beer or something...lol

Trust me Tony...there IS a difference!

anthonyvop
29th April 2010, 04:26
Me thinks Tony doesn't do beer or something...lol

Trust me Tony...there IS a difference!

I know there is but I am not a beer drinker. They all taste like variations of wet bread to me.

I am a Scotch & Bourbon man. Vodka martini's when out on the town.

dataman1
29th April 2010, 14:56
Anthony,

After 26 years of traveling with open wheel racing in all the countries CART/CCWS raced, I agree that one consistent form of libation is Vodka. Does not matter if you are in Asia, Canada or Germany you can find the same brands of Vodka.

Don't take this the wrong way because I do like beer as well. I like experimentation in beers I have never tasted. My favorite beer country was Belgium. Second is Germany. Japan scores the lowest however Kirin Ichiban can creep up on you. It must be the size of the bottles.

ShiftingGears
29th April 2010, 15:55
Anthony,

After 26 years of traveling with open wheel racing in all the countries CART/CCWS raced, I agree that one consistent form of libation is Vodka. Does not matter if you are in Asia, Canada or Germany you can find the same brands of Vodka.

Don't take this the wrong way because I do like beer as well. I like experimentation in beers I have never tasted. My favorite beer country was Belgium. Second is Germany. Japan scores the lowest however Kirin Ichiban can creep up on you. It must be the size of the bottles.

Kirin is good stuff.

Mark in Oshawa
29th April 2010, 16:57
Kirin is good stuff.

That's good and I liked Sapporo too. For me, Chinese beer is awful and for some reason I fail to see why people drink Red Stripe from Jamaica either..

harvick#1
30th April 2010, 03:22
That's good and I liked Sapporo too. For me, Chinese beer is awful and for some reason I fail to see why people drink Red Stripe from Jamaica either..

I dunno, many people drink Miller Lite, gag

I'll stick to Crown or Jamo on the rocks :D or a very fine beer like a Guiness

gm99
5th May 2010, 13:47
Budweiser is taking its money to the NFL:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nfl-beersponsor

I doubt they'll have much money left for motorsport activities in the near future.

Mark in Oshawa
5th May 2010, 22:50
It's cheap.
Life is too short to drink warm beer or cheap beer....

V12
6th May 2010, 11:39
for some reason I fail to see why people drink Red Stripe from Jamaica either..

Some people have a thing with ticking off as many beer-producing countries on the map as possible. I know that's why I had it.

Mark in Oshawa
6th May 2010, 19:19
Some people have a thing with ticking off as many beer-producing countries on the map as possible. I know that's why I had it.

that is why I tried it, but Jamaica..done...lol...wont be visiting that beer nation again unless there is a different product.

I tend to visit Ireland metaphorically over and over...seems I like my Guinness!

nigelred5
8th May 2010, 04:30
I have a friend bringing me a case each of Hofbrau Maibock and Munchner Weiss this weekend. Friggin local distributer won't carry any of Hofbrau's line.

nigelred5
8th May 2010, 04:41
There are fruit flavored beers and then there are Lambic's. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/10 Some of these are actually quite good. I've also had some really good infused hefweizen brews as well.

Gary

I love lambics.Frambois is my favorite. Unfortunately I need to pre-medicate with antihistimines or I have a rather severe anaphalactic reaction to Lambics and Belgian whitte's. Man, ended up in the ER damn near intubated after drinking half of a Delirium Noel befor we figured out what the hell I was allergic to.

I wouldn't waste my money on Kirin Ichiban unless you are certain it's coming from Japan. It's brewed by Budweiser in LA.

garyshell
8th May 2010, 07:12
Damn nigelred5, that is pretty scary. What was it in them that you were allergic to?

Gary

nigelred5
10th May 2010, 04:15
Best guess is it is most likely the natural yeasts and such in the naturally fermented Belgians. I have pretty bad seasonal allergies. Its not a wheat allergy.

garyshell
10th May 2010, 05:45
Damn! That's pretty scary. As I remember the Lambics are naturally fermented.

Gary