PDA

View Full Version : cost cutting in F1....

Sonic
16th April 2010, 18:38
...what a load of hooey!

An acquaiantance of mine has secured a job working for Ferrari during the euro season. Now he is not front line staff by any means yet he has been issued with £2000 worth of kit - including Ferrari socks FFS!

FOTA can talk about cost savings as much as they like - but as we have always known the rich teams will always find something to spend/waste their huge budgets on.

Daniel
16th April 2010, 18:40
...what a load of hooey!

An acquaiantance of mine has secured a job working for Ferrari during the euro season. Now he is not front line staff by any means yet he has been issued with £2000 worth of kit - including Ferrari socks FFS!

FOTA can talk about cost savings as much as they like - but as we have always known the rich teams will always find something to spend/waste their huge budgets on.
Ferrari socks :rotflmao:

Sonic
16th April 2010, 19:21

Yeah, that tickled me too!

So if Ferrari give the same kit to all their 600 odd staff, that's £120000 spent in a flash. I'm sure Virgin/lotus etc could find a more productive way to spend that kind of cash.

Retro Formula 1
16th April 2010, 19:37
A friend of mine works for a company that made Carbon parts for Torro Rosso but apparently they didn't retain the contract this year as there was a more "cost effective" supplier.

Pay for what you get!

Josti
16th April 2010, 19:39
And what about those ridiculous motorhomes. A trailer, hell a caravan would do it for me.

Easy Drifter
16th April 2010, 19:45
I know it was a looooooong time ago but while racing professionally I used to sleep on a slab of foam with a sleeping bag in the back of my tow vehicle, a well used Dodge Station wagon. :cool:

steveaki13
16th April 2010, 23:39

I hope they are thick and wooley for the winter testing. :D

Valve Bounce
17th April 2010, 02:22
...what a load of hooey!

QUICK!! where do I join?

Saint Devote
17th April 2010, 03:15
Thats perhaps retail price - the real manufacturing price or cost that Ferrari paid is nowhere near such a ridiculous amount.

Even the best socks from a "designer" retailing for stupid people - and there are many - at $60 only costs around $1!!!

So the kit does not cost that amount.
Get real. Ferrari is not going to issue some nobody 2,000 pounds Sterling WORTH of anything.

Dave B
17th April 2010, 06:55
For once the Saint talks sense. What's the alternative: everybody wears their own clothes and Ferrari pay for the cleaning?

AndyL
17th April 2010, 07:25
To put Ferrari's sock budget into perspective... heard on the radio yesterday that a potential purchaser of Liverpool Football Club will have to come up with £600 million. If you had that sort of money would you buy Liverpool FC, or start an F1 team and run it for 5-10 years (depending on FIA cost cutting measures)?

UltimateDanGTR
17th April 2010, 08:23
To put Ferrari's sock budget into perspective... heard on the radio yesterday that a potential purchaser of Liverpool Football Club will have to come up with £600 million. If you had that sort of money would you buy Liverpool FC, or start an F1 team and run it for 5-10 years (depending on FIA cost cutting measures)?

option 2. that way, i wouldn't have to go to liverpool :p

also, I bet those ferrari socks have developed an f-duct to make you run faster.

what a waste of money though. to be fair, it looks like ferrari can afford thst kind of tosh, which as long as that kind of spending is sustainable then they're free to do what they want.

Sonic
17th April 2010, 08:54
Thats perhaps retail price - the real manufacturing price or cost that Ferrari paid is nowhere near such a ridiculous amount.

Even the best socks from a "designer" retailing for stupid people - and there are many - at $60 only costs around $1!!!

Get real. Ferrari is not going to issue some nobody 2,000 pounds Sterling WORTH of anything.

As you say, it's unlikely that Ferrari are paying full price, but they are stil "wasting" massive sums of money.

Of course they want their staff to look like pro's, but this is a temporary posting ending in september. As well as the socks ( :D ) there's a Ferrari blazer for traveling in, ferrari belt, watch etc - all largely unrequired for his position as a trucker/construction.

ioan
17th April 2010, 09:02
As you say, it's unlikely that Ferrari are paying full price, but they are stil "wasting" massive sums of money.

Even if the whole kit costs only 100-200€? That's not a massive sum of money.

AndyL
17th April 2010, 09:14
To put another perspective on it, consider what's the underlying purpose of a company taking part in F1. To generate income, they have to sell sponsorship; and for manufacturer teams, they are there to promote their parent company. Either way, it's basically all about advertising. You have to look at the amount of money and effort they put into presentation in that context.

Daniel
17th April 2010, 09:54

Seems that someone's taken over SD's account! He's talking sense for once......

SGWilko
17th April 2010, 19:16
An acquaiantance of mine has secured a job working for Ferrari

Does he fit the anti Alonso semtex on the engine block? ;)