PDA

View Full Version : Just swell: no Lola, no Prodrive

maximilian
15th April 2010, 18:03
The 2 teams we all wanted to see enter the MOST (according to poll a while ago) aren't submitting applications for 2011. :eek:

So who do we know DID apply? Today was the deadline. Durango, and who else?

Stuartf12007
15th April 2010, 18:25
does it really matter?

whoever it is, will be back of the grid, have no money, last about 3 years then fade away.

UltimateDanGTR
15th April 2010, 18:50
no Lola or Prodrive is disapointing.

we know durango are entering the selection process (please no!)

Epsilon Euskadi is an apparent possiblity. (no specific link, just rumours)

maybe we will see a surprise or 2, teams like isport and ART are what i would like to see, they've had success at GP2 (both) and F3 (ART) ofcourse. however, I think either entering is unlikely.

maximilian
15th April 2010, 19:05
Yeah, I am hoping Epsilon Euskadi will be the one (provided they even entered, seems like the stupidity of this process scares away some of the best names!), unless there is some other fascinating applicant we don't know about yet... although I have no clue who that might be.

ykiki
15th April 2010, 19:45
Wonder if we'll hear of a last minute application from............................USF1 :eek:

jens
15th April 2010, 19:45
Lola and Prodrive not applying? As we remember, last year at the same time we had a 40M budget cap in place, so the current set of rules are clearly not as appealing to newcomers, hence more reluctance in joining F1. Nonetheless hopefully we will get a decent team instead of someone like... err, USF1.

maximilian
15th April 2010, 20:58
Yeah, I am hoping Epsilon Euskadi will be the one (provided they even entered, seems like the stupidity of this process scares away some of the best names!), unless there is some other fascinating applicant we don't know about yet... although I have no clue who that might be.
My own post got me thinking, who WOULD be a really fascinating applicant that we haven't thought about yet? Not necessarily somebody "realistic" who may have actually entered, but who WOULD generate a tremendous amount of interest if they suddenly out of the blue declared they put in an application to race F1 in 2011.

(Other than some of the traditional racing manufacturers like Porsche, Audi, Bugatti, etc.)

I am inclined to say a group like Andretti Autosport, Penske, Ganassi or Panoz. What could be some others?

Dr. Krogshöj
15th April 2010, 22:34
Lola and Prodrive not applying? As we remember, last year at the same time we had a 40M budget cap in place, so the current set of rules are clearly not as appealing to newcomers, hence more reluctance in joining F1. Nonetheless hopefully we will get a decent team instead of someone like... err, USF1.

Not only that, but people now see how hard it is for a new team to compete.

ykiki
15th April 2010, 23:39
My own post got me thinking, who WOULD be a really fascinating applicant that we haven't thought about yet? Not necessarily somebody "realistic" who may have actually entered, but who WOULD generate a tremendous amount of interest if they suddenly out of the blue declared they put in an application to race F1 in 2011.

(Other than some of the traditional racing manufacturers like Porsche, Audi, Bugatti, etc.)

I am inclined to say a group like Andretti Autosport, Penske, Ganassi or Panoz. What could be some others?

Since you did say "Not necessarily somebody 'realistic'..."

DAMS
Minardi
Super Aguri
Swift

Really out of the blue... Dale Coyne

maximilian
16th April 2010, 01:51
Since you did say "Not necessarily somebody 'realistic'..."

DAMS
Minardi
Super Aguri
Swift

Really out of the blue... Dale Coyne

Minardi! Super Aguri! I love it! :D Dome, anyone? ;)

How about Dallara taking all their development work done for Hispania and entering on their own in 2011? ;)

How about the return of Reynard? :)

Wildly off-topic now, I know.... my apologies!

turismo6
16th April 2010, 07:45
Doesn't this just mean Lola or Prodive won't set up a new team in 2011? but it doesn't rule them out from buying out an other team?

UltimateDanGTR
16th April 2010, 08:07
Doesn't this just mean Lola or Prodive won't set up a new team in 2011? but it doesn't rule them out from buying out an other team?

true i suppose. there is a small possibility ofcourse, that a new team could enter who have never constructed a car for themselves before, so they get someone like lola to supply a car, a la Hispania.

MrJan
16th April 2010, 09:56
does it really matter?

whoever it is, will be back of the grid, have no money, last about 3 years then fade away.

That's what most of use thought about Force India isn't it?

ArrowsFA1
16th April 2010, 11:31
As we remember, last year at the same time we had a 40M budget cap in place, so the current set of rules are clearly not as appealing to newcomers, hence more reluctance in joining F1.
I think this change in circumstances merely highlights what a one-off crock the whole process was last time around :dozey: welcome though the class of '10 are.

V12
16th April 2010, 15:15
Epsilon would be a decent bet considering they have experience as a constructor, OK in sportscars not single seaters but then the same applied to Wirth (i.e. Virgin). In fact if you want teams with experience as a constructor of competitive (i.e. not one-make) cars you basically NEED to look to sportscars, since these days all of the sub-F1 single seater categories are one-make crap-fests.

Speaking of sportscars a decent leftfield choice might be ORECA, since they bought Courage they now have chassis-making facilities, and in motorsport in general they have a similar pedigree to Prodrive. However like Prodrive they probably have enough on their plate and would rather focus elsewhere.

Penske was mentioned and they definitely have history as both a constructor in general an F1 race-winning constructor in the 70s, but Roger isn't getting any younger, has a massive empire and I would guess he feels F1 is more trouble than it's worth. Just like Prodrive and Lola in fact!

V12
16th April 2010, 15:17

Force India were never a proper new team though, their infrastructure had been in F1 since 1991. It was probably more a case of "will Mallya get bored like that Midland guy and sell it to some other transient owner?" - to his credit he hasn't, yet.

Retro Formula 1
16th April 2010, 15:37
And Force India also have a lot of technical input from McLaren which might explain their pace.

MrJan
16th April 2010, 15:51
Force India were never a proper new team though, their infrastructure had been in F1 since 1991. It was probably more a case of "will Mallya get bored like that Midland guy and sell it to some other transient owner?" - to his credit he hasn't, yet.

The point being that we still thought that they'd trundle around at the back like all their predecessors, they haven't though.

UltimateDanGTR
16th April 2010, 17:36
The point being that we still thought that they'd trundle around at the back like all their predecessors, they haven't though.

true. Force India are now a testement to the predecessor team's good periods, when jordan were a good midfield team from the mid 90s to about 2001 (not quite as good as Jordan were in 1999 though, obviously)

I think force india are doing themselves proud.

maximilian
16th April 2010, 18:24
It's also not inconceivable that one or more of the new teams might eventually strike a similar alliance with one of the established teams, a la ForceIndia and McLaren, in which case they may well find similar success. In some ways I am surprised that this hasn't already happened to some degree, but that's possibly due to the difference in engine supply (i.e. only Williams might be available, but they have their own problems)?

truefan72
16th April 2010, 18:28
at least this new team will not have to be forced to select cosworth as their engine.

maximilian
16th April 2010, 19:17
But would any of the other actually want to supply a brand new team?

truefan72
16th April 2010, 20:02
But would any of the other actually want to supply a brand new team?

renault seem the most likely

Stuartf12007
16th April 2010, 20:17

You and others may of but i didnt

maximilian
17th April 2010, 00:33
I had another vision about a new entrant who would generate a lot of excitement:

How about the COSWORTH Werks Team?

Wouldn't it be cool if Cosworth decided to build a chassis, and enter F1 as a "real" team? :D