13th April 2010, 05:31
Race 4 of 17

Race - Toyota Grand Prix Of Long Beach

Location - Streets of Long Beach, California

Date - Sunday, April 18th

Time & TV Schedule - 3:30PM Eastern Time (4:15 Green Flag) Versus

Course Type - 1.968 Street Course

Distance - 85 Laps / 167.28 Miles

Practice Sessions - Friday, April 16th - 1:15-2:15pm & 5:25-6:25pm -Eastern, Saturday, April 17th -1:25-2:25pm Eastern

Qualifications - Saturday, April 17th -5:30-6:45pm Eastern

2009 Winner - Dario Franchitti

Civic
13th April 2010, 05:34
I don't live in LA so it may be the reason but I haven't seen any Friday vouchers at the gas stations around my area. Usually they have them a couple weeks before the event.

DanicaFan
13th April 2010, 05:40
Here is a map of the track layout..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/longbeach.gif

DanicaFan
13th April 2010, 05:41
Here are the pit assignments for the race..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/longbeachpits.jpg

TURN3
13th April 2010, 05:58
Thanks 20th best driver fan! I've been waiting on you to post this. To me, living out West these days, the most exciting event I get to attend for the year. I'll likely get back to my roots and see some practice at Indy but there is nothing like Long Beach. Food, Beer, Speed, Events, and Girls...I hope those of you that live in other parts get to experience it at some point. Truly one of America's jewels and it seems to be coming back into form with the merger and all. Looking forward to a great weekend.

Easy Drifter
13th April 2010, 07:21
As it is on TSN2 and not TSN up here another race I will not see.
Remember I am on dial up so cannot watch on computer.

Dr. Krogshöj
13th April 2010, 09:02
I wish they still used the pre-1998 layout... The Penthouse corner is a far better overtaking spot than Turn One but the back straight is too short in the new layout. But still one of the best street circuits in the world.

Chamoo
13th April 2010, 13:21
As it is on TSN2 and not TSN up here another race I will not see.
Remember I am on dial up so cannot watch on computer.

Try to find a bar Drift. I know a few people in the Toronto area are able to get out to certain sports bars and convince them to put it on one of the many tv's they have. In fact, it's quite good advertising for the sport having the races on at bars.

SarahFan
13th April 2010, 13:55
Thanks 20th best driver fan! I've been waiting on you to post this. To me, living out West these days, the most exciting event I get to attend for the year. I'll likely get back to my roots and see some practice at Indy but there is nothing like Long Beach. Food, Beer, Speed, Events, and Girls...I hope those of you that live in other parts get to experience it at some point. Truly one of America's jewels and it seems to be coming back into form with the merger and all. Looking forward to a great weekend.

sadly I'm not going to make it for beverages and King Taco Carnitas burritos for breakfast during another sunny sunday morning warm-up....

but i will settle up at some point I promise

racer14501
13th April 2010, 15:38
Civic

This year it doesnt look like the AM PM is giving Tickets. I found my Free Friday Ticket thorugh one of the Hobby stores. Tamaya USA is giving out free Friday tickets. They are small sponser of the race. here is the link.

http://tamiyausa.com/LBGP/

TURN3
13th April 2010, 16:17
sadly I'm not going to make it for beverages and King Taco Carnitas burritos for breakfast during another sunny sunday morning warm-up....

but i will settle up at some point I promise

That's too bad Ken. Maybe next year if we don't happen to be at any other races this year at the same time.

SarahFan
13th April 2010, 16:30
That's too bad Ken. Maybe next year if we don't happen to be at any other races this year at the same time.

it sucks...

I'm kinda sorta looking at Toronto if I figure out how to get into Canada

SarahFan
13th April 2010, 16:34
or after taking a quick peek at the schedule maybe chicago....there are a couple restaurants I really want to try there

garyshell
13th April 2010, 16:42
For all of you who do get to go to Long Beach in person (and hell for those of us sitting at home too) please hoist a cold one in loving memory of our buddy Speedbump. Paul we miss you!

Gary

bzcam
13th April 2010, 17:25
Power will win the pole and the race. Non-Penskes need not apply.

BZ

Hoop-98
13th April 2010, 18:41
Drivers Standings before race:

http://i44.tinypic.com/zogv1t.jpg

rh

harvick#1
13th April 2010, 19:33
or after taking a quick peek at the schedule maybe chicago....there are a couple restaurants I really want to try there

its a pretty good drive from where the track is in Joliet to downtown Chicago. FYI

and driving in Chicago is horrible, I refuse to even step foot in that city more than once a year

Pat Wiatrowski
13th April 2010, 20:02
it sucks...

Getting in is no problem, getting out is the problem!

Rex Monaco
13th April 2010, 20:30
I don't live in LA so it may be the reason but I haven't seen any Friday vouchers at the gas stations around my area. Usually they have them a couple weeks before the event.

Here's a link for free Friday Tickets:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/LBGP/index.php/press/free-friday-tickets

dataman1
13th April 2010, 20:32
Want a great meal? Head up the hill to 455 Ocean Blvd to a Deli called Modica's. Fantastic food, good prices, great deli and cold beer within a couple of blocks of the track. Found this place back in the CART days and go back every year.

After you have Ken's King Taco breakfast of course.

Rex Monaco
13th April 2010, 20:37
Want a great meal?

Take the Passport (A or D) to 2nd St in Belmont Shore and eat at Open Sesame. Be prepared for a long wait though. It's so popular, they opened a second location on the same block.

SUBARUTEAM
13th April 2010, 22:02
long beach is definitly on my 'to do before i die' list - along with the 500 of course. bit of a long haul from christchurch new zealand though.

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 00:55
it sucks...

Get your passport and come up. Toronto has restaurants the equal of any city, and probably when it comes to variety, more so.

Think of it as Long Beach north....and in July it will be plenty hot enough.

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 00:56
Getting in is no problem, getting out is the problem!

If you are speaking of US Customs, hey...they are your problem...lol.

TURN3
14th April 2010, 01:17
Get your passport and come up. Toronto has restaurants the equal of any city, and probably when it comes to variety, more so.

So true, Toronto is the Long Beach of the North. Been to that even many times and it rivals the Beach in every way including the waterfront (But the European culture is much more "revealing" :eek: ). Hope AGR promoting division brings it back to the glory days quickly.

FormerFF
14th April 2010, 02:10
its a pretty good drive from where the track is in Joliet to downtown Chicago. FYI

and driving in Chicago is horrible, I refuse to even step foot in that city more than once a year

Yeah, but it's worth it for the pizza.

SarahFan
14th April 2010, 02:11

I've q got passport ...... Fricken Canucks just won't let me in anymore..

And I've a few nice meals in Toronto .... But as food cities go Montreal tops it

table
14th April 2010, 02:17
Want a great meal? Head up the hill to 455 Ocean Blvd to a Deli called Modica's. Fantastic food, good prices, great deli and cold beer within a couple of blocks of the track. Found this place back in the CART days and go back every year.

After you have Ken's King Taco breakfast of course.Thanks, I'll check it out.

gofastandwynn
14th April 2010, 02:52

Well that is your mistake right there.

Don't try to drive anywhere in Chicago, just take the trains.

I always take the Rock Island Metra from Chicago for $6 to Joliet to go to the Chicagoland race, and the Speedway has shuttles to get people to and from the station.

harvick#1
14th April 2010, 04:17
Well that is your mistake right there.

Don't try to drive anywhere in Chicago, just take the trains.

I always take the Rock Island Metra from Chicago for $6 to Joliet to go to the Chicagoland race, and the Speedway has shuttles to get people to and from the station.

oh yeah, and trying to leave the track is absolutely dreadful as Route 53 is the only exit they lead you out, it will take a about an hour or longer to get out if you drive (and that was basically about 70% crowded for the IRL race). even the ARCA I went too was only half crowded and it still took about 45 minutes to get out of the track.

DanicaFan
14th April 2010, 05:36
Here is the entry list for this race (25 cars entered)...

Car # & Driver / Car Name / Team

#2 Raphael Matos / HP Luczo Dragon / Luczo Dragon Racing-DeFerran Motorsports
#3 Helio Castroneves / Team Penske / Team Penske
#4 Dan Wheldon / National Guard Panther Racing / Panther Racing
#5 Takuma Sato / Lotus-KV Racing Technology / KV Racing Technology
#6 Ryan Briscoe / Team Penske / Team Penske
#7 Danica Patrick / Team GoDaddy.com / Andretti Autosport
#8 EJ Viso / PDVSA-Jet Aviation KVRT / KV Racing Technology
#9 Scott Dixon / Target Chip Ganassi Racing / Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#10 Dario Franchitti / Target Chip Ganassi Racing / Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#11 Tony Kanaan / Team 7-Eleven / Andretti Autosport
#12 Will Power / Verizon Team Penske / Verizon Team Penske
#14 Vitor Meira / ABC Supply Co. -AJ Foyt Racing / AJ Foyt Enterprises
#18 Milka Duno / CITGO / Dale Coyne Racing
#19 Alex Lloyd / Boy Scouts of America / Dale Coyne Racing
#22 Justin Wilson / Team Z-Line Designs-DRR / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#24 Mike Conway / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#26 Marco Andretti / Team Venom Energy / Andretti Autosport
#32 Mario Moraes / KV Racing Technology / KV Racing Technology
#34 Mario Romancini / Conquest Racing / Conquest Racing
#36 Bertrand Baguette / Conquest Racing-RACB / Conquest Racing
#37 Ryan Hunter-Reay / Team IZOD / Andretti Autosport
#67 Graham Rahal / Dollar General-Sarah Fisher Racing / Sarah Fisher Racing
#77 Alex Tagliani / FAZZT Race Team / FAZZT Race Team
#78 Simona De Silvestro / Team Stargate Worlds-HVM / HVM Racing
#06 Hideki Mutoh / Formula Dream-Panasonic / Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 05:44
I've q got passport ...... Fricken Canucks just won't let me in anymore..

And I've a few nice meals in Toronto .... But as food cities go Montreal tops it

Kenny...what the heck did ya do? I can't vouch for you if you don't come clean.

AS for food cities, well Montreal is out of this world. That said Toronto is in a similar league for variety, and I don't think you would suffer for a weekend with substandard fare...

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 05:47
So true, Toronto is the Long Beach of the North. Been to that even many times and it rivals the Beach in every way including the waterfront (But the European culture is much more "revealing" :eek: ). Hope AGR promoting division brings it back to the glory days quickly.

Turn3...you have been to the "ballet" haven't you? It almost is as good as Montreal's...lol

On a serious note, AGR better get it right or they will kill this event. I heard that things were not quite the same as they were in the glory days when Molson's and Molstar entertainment were running the show...

Then again, they promoted only Marco and Danica in all the ads and posters....and not many people up here really have an appreciation for Marco like they did his dad or granddad, and as for Danica? Well, although the media seems to buy into her act, most people up here didn't think enough of her arriving here to buy the tickets......PT is the guy who SHOULD be promoted....Being the native son and all.

SarahFan
14th April 2010, 06:29
Kenny...what the heck did ya do? I can't vouch for you if you don't come clean.

AS for food cities, well Montreal is out of this world. That said Toronto is in a similar league for variety, and I don't think you would suffer for a weekend with substandard fare...

well ive had a few brushes with the law.....and i have a criminal record...I'm 14+ years clean of a cocaine addiction......

whats interesting is I had been to (flown in and out of) Montreal for the first CC grandprix.....and then had flown to ottawa the following year and met up with my buddy from kingston (who i met on this forum)...then drove down to Toronto to the Grand Prix...

then the next year I was again flying to Ottawa with plans to go to montreal for the CC grand prix...... although this time without my wife... i was solo

anyhow I was on the last flight in...and i was the last guy off the plane....and i was going thru customs...well they pulled into a back room off to the side of the baggage claim: immigration.... sat me down for an hour or so... then finnally called me up to a counter.....so im staring at the back of a computer scren and the asks if i have ever been arrested...i figured better to tell the truth right....so they sit me back down for a few minutes them pull into a back room and give a strip search.... go thru all my bags etc.... they go over all my stuff with that wand with the cloth on the end that they put in the machine to test for drugs....

so finnally they tell its illegal to enter the country with a criminal record and that i need to return in the morning when they will have a hearing on my case.....a hearing! Im like WTF do i need a lawyer?.....so they take my credit cards and my Id's and release me into the country.....my buddy has been waiting at the curb for about 1 1/2 at this point with no idea whats going on.....

flippin surreal right!?!?

so I go to the airport the next morning and Buzz me into the backroom.....sit me down for an hour or so.... never saying a word to me...no communication what so ever...

finnally they call me up to the counter and hand me a ticket to chicago and tell me I'm in the country illegally and they are sending back to the states

so 2 airport policeman in bulletproof vests and tasers walk me thru the airport..... thru security...at this point im getting some looks

after security they walk me down to the gate... well the plane isnt ready to board yet... so the three of stand right at counter....now I'm getting some serious looks from the other passengers...

finnally its time to board and im the first guy on.... the cops walked my all the way to my seat on the plane....

you can imagine the looks i got from the other passengers....

they sent me to chicago period.... from there i had to find my way home to Salt Lake....i was there for about 9 hours...

so I am currently persona non grata in Canada....crazy huh?

I can apply for a pardon thru the canadian embassy.... its 2 or 3 hundred bucks and some paperwork...... i just havent done it......

anyhow.... it just goes to show that even after a decade...even after you have turned your life around etc.... that your past can creep up and bite ya...you have to live your decisions.....

sucky experience.... but i have no one to blame but myself....

*was that coming clean enough for ya?

SarahFan
14th April 2010, 06:30
Turn3...you have been to the "ballet" haven't you? It almost is as good as Montreal's...lol

On a serious note, AGR better get it right or they will kill this event. I heard that things were not quite the same as they were in the glory days when Molson's and Molstar entertainment were running the show...

Then again, they promoted only Marco and Danica in all the ads and posters....and not many people up here really have an appreciation for Marco like they did his dad or granddad, and as for Danica? Well, although the media seems to buy into her act, most people up here didn't think enough of her arriving here to buy the tickets......PT is the guy who SHOULD be promoted....Being the native son and all.

its no longer AGR is it?.... i dont think andretti is involved with the promotions of Toronto or St pete any longer

Easy Drifter
14th April 2010, 08:45
Ken: The odds are you would get in ok but!!!!! With the computers talking to each other (Canada-US Immigration) it is tougher.
A Cdn. with a record is just a likely to have a problem getting into the US.

I always half expected a hassle as an uncle of mine with the same name as me was definetely not welcome in the US. Probably the age difference was the only reason I didn't get a hassle.
In WW2 he taught small arms to some of the US Rangers but they had to come to Canada for instruction. He couldn't go to the US.
Something about a load of rum and a shot US Border Patrol Agent.

DanicaFan
14th April 2010, 08:58
Let's get back to topic please... The Long Beach race, this isnt about Toronto, nothing against it but this is way off topic. Thanks.

If this were me going way off topic, mods would of been all over it. ;)

SarahFan
14th April 2010, 10:20
Lighten up Francis

GRW1983
14th April 2010, 14:44
There's been alot posted recently about how bad Danica's record has been on road/street courses so I thought I'd give you some stats. I haven't bothered with qualifying but her race performances are as follows:

2005-3 races, average finish-16.0

2006-3 races, average finish-7.33

2007-5 races, average finish-6.4

2008-7 races(including Surfers Paradise), average finish-13.28

2009-7 races, average finish-12.28

2010-3 races(so far), average finish-12.66

I predict this weekend she'll qualify 17th-22nd, and finish 12th-18th.

bblocker68
14th April 2010, 16:14
I will definitely tip a yard of Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout for Speedbump.

If the iRacing booth is there, I'll be lapping all of Friday.

Hope to see you all.

I can taste the Carne Asada taco's already!

SarahFan
14th April 2010, 16:20

Hope to see you all.

man... now your rubbing it in..

Jet blue is 289$ and only a click away........argggg

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 19:05
well ive had a few brushes with the law.....and i have a criminal record...I'm 14+ years clean of a cocaine addiction......

whats interesting is I had been to (flown in and out of) Montreal for the first CC grandprix.....and then had flown to ottawa the following year and met up with my buddy from kingston (who i met on this forum)...then drove down to Toronto to the Grand Prix...

then the next year I was again flying to Ottawa with plans to go to montreal for the CC grand prix...... although this time without my wife... i was solo

anyhow I was on the last flight in...and i was the last guy off the plane....and i was going thru customs...well they pulled into a back room off to the side of the baggage claim: immigration.... sat me down for an hour or so... then finnally called me up to a counter.....so im staring at the back of a computer scren and the asks if i have ever been arrested...i figured better to tell the truth right....so they sit me back down for a few minutes them pull into a back room and give a strip search.... go thru all my bags etc.... they go over all my stuff with that wand with the cloth on the end that they put in the machine to test for drugs....

so finnally they tell its illegal to enter the country with a criminal record and that i need to return in the morning when they will have a hearing on my case.....a hearing! Im like WTF do i need a lawyer?.....so they take my credit cards and my Id's and release me into the country.....my buddy has been waiting at the curb for about 1 1/2 at this point with no idea whats going on.....

flippin surreal right!?!?

so I go to the airport the next morning and Buzz me into the backroom.....sit me down for an hour or so.... never saying a word to me...no communication what so ever...

finnally they call me up to the counter and hand me a ticket to chicago and tell me I'm in the country illegally and they are sending back to the states

so 2 airport policeman in bulletproof vests and tasers walk me thru the airport..... thru security...at this point im getting some looks

after security they walk me down to the gate... well the plane isnt ready to board yet... so the three of stand right at counter....now I'm getting some serious looks from the other passengers...

finnally its time to board and im the first guy on.... the cops walked my all the way to my seat on the plane....

you can imagine the looks i got from the other passengers....

they sent me to chicago period.... from there i had to find my way home to Salt Lake....i was there for about 9 hours...

so I am currently persona non grata in Canada....crazy huh?

I can apply for a pardon thru the canadian embassy.... its 2 or 3 hundred bucks and some paperwork...... i just havent done it......

anyhow.... it just goes to show that even after a decade...even after you have turned your life around etc.... that your past can creep up and bite ya...you have to live your decisions.....

sucky experience.... but i have no one to blame but myself....

*was that coming clean enough for ya?

Kudo's for you cleaning up your act, and while I am sorry they did all that to you in a sense, I must say I am also kind of impressed by Canada Customs being on the ball. We Canadians love to joke about how they would hassle grandpa bringing back a pack of contraband smokes or junior's ipod he bought in the US without declaring it, but miss the guy with the drugs in his suitcase or the bomb in his trunk. I am happy that they do tend to check things out I guess, although in your case I think it is tad bit of overkill.

That said, a pardon is a permanent thing and it would allow you back in. I guess the call is how bad do you need to come...

And as for your post AGR isn't involved with Toronto, I believe they still do owe it, or did the last time I read anything about the event. I am shocked actually I haven't been seeing ads on tv for the race already. Molson's used to have the campaign going from about March on....

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 19:05

Hope to see you all.

Speedbump would be proud.....

TURN3
15th April 2010, 03:26
I can hardly contain myself, so excited to get to Thursday Night Thunder. It is Friday morning heckling of my favorite driver to root against that I'm really looking forward too. I've got my list of facts to riddle off to her in front of everybody....ahhh takes me back to teasing Seabass....except he was winning all the time.

bblocker68
15th April 2010, 16:29
man... now your rubbing it in..

Jet blue is 289$ and only a click away........argggg

Do it!!!!!! I'm hitting the King Taco on Alvarado and Pico on the way home just to get my taste buds warmed up :)

I hope Penske has new Will Power shirts..............

SarahFan
15th April 2010, 17:09
Do it!!!!!! I'm hitting the King Taco on Alvarado and Pico on the way home just to get my taste buds warmed up :)

I hope Penske has new Will Power shirts..............

I'm still considering it...

TURN3
16th April 2010, 19:29
Nothing earth shattering from the first practice session I see. Sato and Rahal maybe. Power on top and Patrick on bottom, pretty much status quo for the season so far!

Ken, I'm headed to the King Taco line, I'll see if I can figure out how to PM you a picture or something. LOL

DanicaFan
16th April 2010, 19:31
Here are the results of practice session 1..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/longbeach1.jpg

harvick#1
16th April 2010, 19:39
wow, Duno is only 8 seconds off the pace :mark:

drewdawg727
16th April 2010, 20:15
hmmm takuma being smoked by both of his "less-talented" teammates, what's that about?

UltimateDanGTR
16th April 2010, 20:28
to be fair, Milka did nearly most laps, so probably had nearly the most fuel onboard.

so in reality she was only about 6/7 secs off the pace :D in theory.

nice to see danica so high up, and no surprise at who's top of the timesheets so far...

drewdawg727
16th April 2010, 20:32
Group 1

#5 Takuma Sato
#6 Ryan Briscoe
#8 EJ Viso
#9 Scott Dixon
#10 Dario Franchitti
#11 Tony Kanaan
#19 Alex Lloyd
#26 Marco Andretti
#32 Mario Moraes
#34 Mario Romancini
#36 Bertrand Baguette
#77 Alex Tagliani
#78 Simona de Silvestro

Group 2:

#2 Raphael Matos
#3 Helio Castroneves
#4 Dan Wheldon
#7 Danica Patrick
#12 Will Power
#14 Vitor Meira
#18 Milka Duno
#22 Justin Wilson
#24 Mike Conway
#37 Ryan Hunter-Reay
#67 Graham Rahal
#06 Hideki Mutoh

I expect Briscoe, Dixon, Franchitti, Kanaan, Andretti, and Tagliani to advance
I expect Castroneves, Power, Wilson, Conway, Hunter-Reay, and Mutoh to advance

harvick#1
16th April 2010, 20:45
hmmm takuma being smoked by both of his "less-talented" teammates, what's that about?

Never been to the track, hes gotta learn the course

DanicaFan
16th April 2010, 21:24
Danica will make the top 6 in group 2 easy. :)

Mark in Oshawa
16th April 2010, 21:34

I wish we had a way of betting that....

drewdawg727
16th April 2010, 21:46

No, Will Power will make it easy. He's probably the only one who will make it "easy".

harvick#1
16th April 2010, 22:16
I wish we had a way of betting that....

the only thing certain with the group she is in, is that she wont be the slowest of the group

she was 21st in practice, DF, stop getting your hopes up so much and just enjoy the race

Easy Drifter
16th April 2010, 22:34
Just save DF the trouble of explaining it------
The Princess is learning the absolute top speed on each corner one at a time.
For qualifying she will string them all together to take pole just in front of her new pupil Milk and Donuts! :D :D :D

Man that was good stuff! :s mokin:

Mark in Oshawa
16th April 2010, 22:44
Just save DF the trouble of explaining it------
The Princess is learning the absolute top speed on each corner one at a time.
For qualifying she will string them all together to take pole just in front of her new pupil Milk and Donuts! :D :D :D

Man that was good stuff! :s mokin:

Was that stuff legal? Did you smoke it?? lmao.....

SarahFan
16th April 2010, 23:01
The Next plaster that claims danicafan is ā smart/knowledegable is going to get called out by me

TURN3
16th April 2010, 23:22
Danica is smart and knowledgeable!

Ok just kidding. Dixie looks quicker than snot through complex leading into hairpin. Maybe my imagination because I know she's slow and she sucks but Danica is ow through here. Everybody else feathers the throttle all the way through and she rolls.

Hoop-98
16th April 2010, 23:40
Some new names up top...

http://i41.tinypic.com/2zs2oo4.jpg

TURN3
16th April 2010, 23:53
Hoop...do you happen to have section times available? Was curious based on my vantage point. Dixie, Marco, RHR, and Briscoe looked especially quick where I was watching. Briscoe REALLY rolls the weight out of the left front and onto the right rear coming off backstretch. Much more so than anybody else.

Hoop-98
16th April 2010, 23:56
Hoop...do you happen to have section times available? Was curious based on my vantage point. Dixie, Marco, RHR, and Briscoe looked especially quick where I was watching. Briscoe REALLY rolls the weight out of the left front and onto the right rear coming off backstretch. Much more so than anybody else.

What turn/section?

This section is from before Turn 9 to the exit of 11.

http://i43.tinypic.com/o05g8o.jpg

P1, I'll post P2 when it is ready.

TURN3
17th April 2010, 00:08
Hoop I don't remember the new turn numbers. Its the right hander at end of backstretch into left left then hairpin.

Hoop-98
17th April 2010, 00:16
Hoop I don't remember the new turn numbers. Its the right hander at end of backstretch into left left then hairpin.

The right hander is 9, so that's the complex above. Section 7. I'll post P@'s when it's on Indycar.

Hoop-98
17th April 2010, 00:20
Here you go P2.

http://i43.tinypic.com/xcltgo.jpg

TURN3
17th April 2010, 00:38
Thanks hoop. Interesting.

SoCalPVguy
17th April 2010, 02:10

power tops opening LB practice Penske Racing's Will Power topped opening practice for the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach race with a lap of 1m11.403s. He was followed closely by Castroneves, Dixon, Briscoe and Franchitti.[/font]

Driver Team Time Gap[/font]
1. Will Power Penske 1m11.4038s + 0.0000s[/font]
2. Helio Castroneves Penske 1m11.5044s + 0.1005s[/font]
3. Scott Dixon Ganassi 1m11.5430s + 0.1391s[/font]
4. Ryan Briscoe Penske 1m11.5477s + 0.1439s[/font]
5. Dario Franchitti Ganassi 1m11.6379s + 0.2340s[/font]
6. Tony Kanaan Andretti 1m11.6410s + 0.2371s[/font]
7. Alex Tagliani Fazzt 1m11.7610s + 0.3572s[/font]
8. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti 1m11.9261s + 0.5223s[/font]
9. Justin Wilson Dreyer & Reinbold 1m11.9741s + 0.5703s[/font]
10. EJ Viso KV 1m11.9886s + 0.5847s[/font]
11. Hideki Mutoh Newman/Haas/Lanigan 1m12.1321s + 0.5847s[/font]
12. Mario Moraes KV 1m12.1698s + 0.7283s[/font]
13. Mike Conway Dreyer & Reinbold 1m12.2397s + 0.8358s[/font]
14. Raphael Matos Luczo Dragon/de Ferran 1m12.4120s + 1.0081s[/font]
15. Simona de Silvestro HVM 1m12.4429s + 1.0391s[/font]
16. Marco Andretti Andretti 1m12.4582s + 1.0543s[/font]
17. Dan Wheldon Panther 1m12.5258s + 1.1220s[/font]
18. Vitor Meira Foyt 1m12.5832s + 1.1794s[/font]
19. Takuma Sato KV 1m12.6696s + 1.2657s[/font]
20. Graham Rahal Sarah Fisher 1m13.1848s + 1.7810s[/font]
21. Danica Patrick Andretti 1m13.3593s + 1.9555s [/FONT
22. Mario Romancini Conquest 1m13.4407s + 2.0368s[/font]
23. Alex Lloyd Dale Coyne 1m14.0553s + 2.6514s[/font]
24. Bertrand Baguette Conquest 1m14.4159s + 3.0121s[/font]
25. Milka Duno Dale Coyne 1m19.5348s + 5.1188s[/font]

SarahFan
17th April 2010, 02:28
yo...T3

i think im going to show manana

DanicaFan
17th April 2010, 02:37
Practice Session 2 Results..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/longbeach2.jpg

TURN3
17th April 2010, 02:40
In heaven guys. My gf is with an alms team this weekend so we are in the hyatt with all drivers and teams. Had a conersation w jack and aj. Just really cool to be past the "fan zone". Lots to share but too hard to type on phone. Trying to look cool and he sly...waiting on the brand....lol!

TURN3
17th April 2010, 02:47
yo...T3

i think im going to show manana

Sweet...PM me we'll meet

SarahFan
17th April 2010, 03:16
Sweet...PM me we'll meet

will do.... just bought plane tickets...should make it to the track an hour or so before Quals

probably just going to do GA....

Im also going to go to the REAL v Galaxy game tomorrow nite

harvick#1
17th April 2010, 03:54
In heaven guys. My gf is with an alms team this weekend so we are in the hyatt with all drivers and teams. Had a conersation w jack and aj. Just really cool to be past the "fan zone". Lots to share but too hard to type on phone. Trying to look cool and he sly...waiting on the brand....lol!

you lucky ****** :D

DanicaFan
17th April 2010, 20:00
Practice Session 3 Results..

Rank / Car & Driver / Lap Time / Speed

1. #12 Will Power / 01:09.9597 / 101.270
2. #10 Dario Franchitti / 01:10.3147 / 100.758
3. #3 Helio Castroneves / 01:10.3738 / 100.674
4. #22 Justin Wilson / 01:10.4007 / 100.635
5. #37 Ryan Hunter-Reay / 01:10.5430 / 100.432
6. #6 Ryan Briscoe / 01:10.5761 / 100.385
7. #24 Mike Conway / 01:10.6014 / 100.349
8. #77 Alex Tagliani / 01:10.6160 / 100.329
9. #26 Marco Andretti / 01:10.6640 / 100.260
10. #78 Simona De Silvestro / 01:10.6780 / 100.241
11. #9 Scott Dixon / 01:10.7836 / 100.091
12. #06 Hideki Mutoh / 01:10.8175 / 100.043
13. #2 Raphael Matos / 01:10.8677 / 99.972
14. #11 Tony Kanaan / 01:10.8930 / 99.937
15. #32 Mario Moraes / 01:10.8990 / 99.928
16. #14 Vitor Meira / 01:10.9482 / 99.859
17. #7 Danica Patrick / 01:11.1602 / 99.561
18. #4 Dan Wheldon / 01:11.2080 / 99.494
19. #67 Graham Rahal / 01:11.4103 / 99.213
20. #5 Takuma Sato / 01:11.4167 / 99.204
21. #19 Alex Lloyd / 01:11.4956 / 99.094
22. #36 Bertrand Baguette / 01:11.6459 / 98.886
23. #34 Mario Romancini / 01:11.8176 / 98.650
24. #8 EJ Viso / 01:11.8565 / 98.597
25. #18 Milka Duno / 01:21.1336 / 87.323

DanicaFan
17th April 2010, 22:43
Qualifications are underway!

TURN3
17th April 2010, 22:56
This has to be one of the tougher group 1 sessions since they started this format.

DanicaFan
17th April 2010, 22:59
The Fast 6 from Group 1 are..

Scott Dixon
Dario Franchitti
Tony Kanaan
Alex Tagliani
Ryan Briscoe
Marco Andretti

TURN3
17th April 2010, 23:01
Ahhh Simona just missed the cut. Man she's been the first car or so out 4 times in a row.

Nice to see KV studs all three toward the rear. What is expectations for Jimmy and KM's bill this week?

DanicaFan
17th April 2010, 23:02
Here we go... It's Danica's time to shine.

DanicaFan
17th April 2010, 23:12
Milka is not qualifying.. :)

NickFalzone
17th April 2010, 23:15
Here we go... It's Danica's time to shine.

LOL

NickFalzone
17th April 2010, 23:17
Dario was just asked about Penske's success this season in the quali show intv and he said that they have perfected the "Ride-control system". And that Ganassi just got the parts for it but have not perfected it yet. Anyone have any idea what he's referring too? I'm not surprised Penske has engineered some new parts but this sounds like a kind of computer-controlled suspension, not sure why that would be legal. Maybe it is now that other teams have been offered the same parts that Penske developed?!

DanicaFan
17th April 2010, 23:18
The Fast 6 from Group 2 are..

Will Power
Ryan Hunter-Reay
Helio Castroneves
Justin Wilson
Hideki Mutoh
Dan Wheldon

TURN3
17th April 2010, 23:20
Just guessing here but safe to assume Danica has no automotive finish sponsors? Her shine isn't so sharp. Its final...has been...she sucks.

harvick#1
17th April 2010, 23:22
Dario was just asked about Penske's success this season in the quali show intv and he said that they have perfected the "Ride-control system". And that Ganassi just got the parts for it but have not perfected it yet. Anyone have any idea what he's referring too? I'm not surprised Penske has engineered some new parts but this sounds like a kind of computer-controlled suspension, not sure why that would be legal. Maybe it is now that other teams have been offered the same parts that Penske developed?!

first F1, now the IRL :rolleyes: Dario and the rest just need to admit that Will is just in a league of his own

DanicaFan
17th April 2010, 23:22
I was thinking Will Power wasnt going to make it. He only had a couple minutes left and was down in like p10.

DanicaFan
17th April 2010, 23:24
I hope Marco can get the car into the Fast 6.

DanicaFan
17th April 2010, 23:25
Again, the Fast 12 are..

Scott Dixon
Dario Franchitti
Tony Kanaan
Alex Tagliani
Ryan Briscoe
Marco Andretti
Will Power
Ryan Hunter-Reay
Helio Castroneves
Justin Wilson
Hideki Mutoh
Dan Wheldon

Alfa Fan
17th April 2010, 23:29
Where's Danica? :confused: :confused: :confused:

TURN3
17th April 2010, 23:29
What I'd like to know is how somebody can talk about a driver like they do then ignore constant failure. Dfan...would you be kind enough to share what utter disappointment in your driver feels like. Please share what is on your mind so I can understand...if you would please.

NickFalzone
17th April 2010, 23:30

Must be the cold temps in Long Beach.

DanicaFan
17th April 2010, 23:30

Unfortunately she will be starting p20 (Row 10). :(

DanicaFan
17th April 2010, 23:31
What I'd like to know is how somebody can talk about a driver like they do then ignore constant failure. Dfan...would you be kind enough to share what utter disappointment in your driver feels like. Please share what is on your mind so I can understand...if you would please.

Im actually quite upset Turn3. I was hoping for more from her. Oh well, she will be back on the ovals after this and she will do great there.

DanicaFan
17th April 2010, 23:39
The Fast 6 are..

Will Power
Ryan Hunter-Reay
Justin Wilson
Tony Kanaan
Helio Castroneves
Ryan Briscoe

DanicaFan
17th April 2010, 23:44
Im suprised no Target Ganassi cars in the Fast 6... :confused:

harvick#1
17th April 2010, 23:49
Im suprised no Target Ganassi cars in the Fast 6... :confused:

looking at the top 6, I'm not surprised :)

DanicaFan
17th April 2010, 23:58
Congratulations to Will Power for getting the pole.

DanicaFan
18th April 2010, 00:15
Here is your race line-up..

Row 1

#12 Will Power
#37 Ryan Hunter-Reay

Row 2

#22 Justin Wilson
#3 Helio Castroneves

Row 3

#6 Ryan Briscoe
#11 Tony Kanaan

Row 4

#77 Alex Tagliani
#9 Scott Dixon

Row 5

#26 Marco Andretti
#4 Dan Wheldon

Row 6

#06 Hideki Mutoh
#10 Dario Franchitti

Row 7

#78 Simona De Silvestro
#14 Vitor Meira

Row 8

#32 Mario Moraes
#24 Mike Conway

Row 9

#8 EJ Viso
#2 Raphael Matos

Row 10

#5 Takuma Sato
#7 Danica Patrick

Row 11

#19 Alex Lloyd
#67 Graham Rahal

Row 12

#34 Mario Romancini
#36 Bertrand Baguette

Row 13

#18 Milka Duno

NickFalzone
18th April 2010, 00:34
Tags and FAZZT continue to impress me as a new race team. Not a huge success so far, but impressive nontheless.

Rahal and KV's roster are probably not quite as pleased.

nigelred5
18th April 2010, 00:59
Glad to finally see RHR consistently up front. He should have been in a competetive car Champcar/IRL for a long time.

FormerFF
18th April 2010, 01:00
Though I wouldn't bet against Will Power, I'd sure like to see Justin take the win.

SarahFan
18th April 2010, 06:49
It was as busy today as I have seen in about 5 or 6 years

GRW1983
18th April 2010, 10:48
Oh dear, P20 for Danica. She ain't doing too well is she??? I said she'd qualify P17-P22 and finish P12-P18, so my prediction looks safe. But hey, she ain't as bad as Milka!!! She is clueless on street tracks. 11 seconds off the pace, no wonder she didn't qualify. Methinks, a DNF due to a 'brake problem' after 6 laps. :D

beachgirl
18th April 2010, 15:21
Oh dear, P20 for Danica. She ain't doing too well is she??? I said she'd qualify P17-P22 and finish P12-P18, so my prediction looks safe. But hey, she ain't as bad as Milka!!! She is clueless on street tracks. 11 seconds off the pace, no wonder she didn't qualify. Methinks, a DNF due to a 'brake problem' after 6 laps. :D

I never ever thought I'd say this about anyone, but I'm really hoping for a DNS.

DavePI2
18th April 2010, 16:34
Let's see how do the drivers at andretti rank? Tony, RHR, Marco, and I can't remember the other one, someone please help me out.

SarahFan
18th April 2010, 17:14
The sunis shining ....the ugly hawaiin shirt contest just ended...

The cars are griding.. The pace cars just rolled thru the hairpin

10 moniutes until warm-up

and my king taco carnitas burrito is delicios

Easy Drifter
18th April 2010, 17:21
How long is it going to take to clean up the 'rolled' pace cars? :D

Is Milk and Donuts going out?

I concur on either brake or handling (for sure) problems after 6 or 7 laps.
Bet TV do not show the black flag.

SarahFan
18th April 2010, 17:47
She is out during warmup... 8 sec off the pace

a few laps ago she was passed by 6 cars on a lap

Simon was p4 most of the session... Just dropped to p9

DanicaFan
18th April 2010, 17:55
Im worried about Takuma Sato starting next to Danica. Im afraid he will take her out early.

beachgirl
18th April 2010, 17:58
Im worried about Takuma Sato starting next to Danica. Im afraid he will take her out early.

Well, that's how she qualified. Sorry. Perhaps she'll do something to take him out - you never know what's going to happen. However, since she's not a "shot out of the cannon" kind of starter, I don't think there's much to worry about.

SarahFan
18th April 2010, 18:21

Who cares just be less drivers outa the way of the racers

GRW1983
18th April 2010, 19:51

After her antics with Alex Lloyd last week, I'd be worried about Takuma Sato!!! :D

bzcam
18th April 2010, 19:53
The Next plaster that claims danicafan is ā smart/knowledegable is going to get called out by me

Careful - I did that and got a nasty little note from the moderator...

bzcam
18th April 2010, 20:02
LB has all the makings of another parade - narrow straights, sharp and narrow turns and concrete barriers everywhere you look. Anyone willing to take any kind of a risk has a good chance of meeting one of the barriers and ending their day. With knock-out qualifying, all the fast cars are up front and all the slow ones in the back so there will be little, if any, passing for real position or outcome. Moreover, with the barriers, and the likes of Milka and others of similar skill, yellow will rule the day and strategic and lucky pit stops will determine the outcome. Oh well, its better than watching drive-fast, turn-left - barely.

A Penske will win, most likely Power.

BZ

GRW1983
18th April 2010, 20:22
According to Curt Cavin on Twitter, IRL officials will only let Milk n Donuts run for a few laps before parking her. About bloody time, now Dale Coyne can finally admit what a prat he was for taking her on in the first place and put a proper driver into the car. Hildebrand, perhaps???. If Donuts keeps her drive, she shouldn't be as bad on the ovals (Kansas, Indy, Texas, Iowa) because she has driven these before. What I want to know is, where the hell is this road course testing programme that Coyne promised was supposed to get her up to speed??? Admittedly, Brazil, St.Pete, Barber and Long Beach are new venues for her, but Toronto, Edmonton and Motegi will be as well. It's almost as if she's scared of crashing the car because at least in Barber, there was some run-off for her to get it wrong. In Brazil, St.Pete and Long Beach if you got it wrong, BANG-concrete wall so she seems to be braking way too early and throttling way too late to ensure she doesn't crash, but as a result is way too slow. If she is parked today, IRL's(and Coyne's) next move will be very interesting.

Nikki Katz
18th April 2010, 21:21
No sound on the video feed tonight?

Nikki Katz
18th April 2010, 22:04
Actually they got the sound working a minute or so before the start, and the video seems to be the proper video with replays of incidents and following the right cars on occasions, instead of the internet feed which normally just follows the leader, Danica or part of the track with no cars on it.

garyshell
18th April 2010, 22:25
Did Versus cover qualifying??? I looked for it on the cable guide but found nothing.

Gary

Nikki Katz
18th April 2010, 22:29
What the hell is Lloyd doing???

garyshell
18th April 2010, 22:33
Did anyone notice Dan Clarke is showing up on timing and scoring? It shows 25 cars with "Speedy" Dan in 13th. Hmmm Stefan Wilson is shwoing up to.

Gary

Lousada
18th April 2010, 22:46
A pretty boring race so far. Alex Lloyd tried to make it interesting, but I think he just did the opposite... The yellow should have come earlier. :\

DavePI2
18th April 2010, 23:01
in answer to qualifying question , yes they did, I watched it last night after a football game.

FormerFF
18th April 2010, 23:02
Did Versus cover qualifying??? I looked for it on the cable guide but found nothing.

Gary

Yes they did. I think it was on 6 to 7, eastern time.

FormerFF
18th April 2010, 23:02
If Justin can't win, I'll gladly take RHR instead.

DavePI2
18th April 2010, 23:06
tough choice on who I would like to win, normally I would say justin but 2 years ago at kentucky ryan was so nice when we met him I have to go with him. I daughter fell in love with him also. We might get lucky and have a great finish like last nights alms race.

dj4monie
18th April 2010, 23:06
Barring anything crazy it looks like Ryan will get his first victory today and it was mainly due to a mistake by Power that has nothing to do with missing a corner or pit stop errors.

I was hoping Simona would have a better day. She was the first to make her pit stop but by the time she did that, she lost so much time to the leaders it basically made no difference (picked up 1 place) when it all cycled through.

Power will still have the points lead and yes this was one of the more boring races and proves IRL needs a new car(s) and a real "push to pass" button.

Well the next couple of races are nothing but ovals including Indy.

dj4monie
18th April 2010, 23:08
If Justin can't win, I'll gladly take RHR instead.

I'll take it too, it should be a popular victory across the board. Not sure why Ganassi struggled so bad this weekend.

The ALMS produced a better finish yesterday and from the looks of it, roughly the same crowd. Not a crowded as it was in 2007 when I was there all three days. This year I only went down on Friday because it was free --> Unemployed

DanicaFan
18th April 2010, 23:19
Congratulations to Ryan Hunter-Reay for the win!

Hoop-98
18th April 2010, 23:22
Unofficial results:

http://i39.tinypic.com/mwyx42.jpg

bzcam
18th April 2010, 23:22
Congratulations to Ryan Hunter-Reay for the win!

Was he the winner or just the Grand Marshall of the Long Beach Parade? How boring...

How 'bout that Jensen Button anyway?

BZ

harvick#1
18th April 2010, 23:27
I guess not having Milka to spice up the race really hurt the IRL today :laugh:

I'd give the race a 0.5 out of a 10.

Lloyd was just a moron out there, tough break for Rahal as he got taken out from the idiot.

Lousada
18th April 2010, 23:32
It isn't Penske or Ganassi so it must be a good win ;) Good race also by Mario Moraes, he made up a lot of spots from his grid position. Not so good race for Simona, even on-track passed by Danica :eek:

Move of the race must be Wilson on Power on the main straight. That was tight, yet he never thought of backing down! There are clowns in the IRL but also some superdrivers.

DanicaFan
18th April 2010, 23:36
Its good to get Andretti Autosport back in Victory Circle!

TURN3
18th April 2010, 23:45

See what putting a driver with some sort of talent in car will do?

DavePI2
18th April 2010, 23:46
will andretti be a force again? They now have 2 top flight drivers and and good third with marco, could be a very interesting year, and maybe just maybe this might be tk's year at the 500.

Scotty G.
18th April 2010, 23:50
So far, the rookie class looks totally inept.

Simona is the best of the bunch.

Sato looks terrible and has not been fast. Lloyd lost a bunch of points with people today. He is hamstrung though, by being on Coyne's team and being on a team with Milka. Romancini should still be in Lights. Baguette hasn't shown anything yet.

Besides Simona and maybe Lloyd, I don't see anyone lasting very long in this series.

Scotty G.
18th April 2010, 23:51

It would be even better if he had a fulltime ride (which he doesn't).

TURN3
18th April 2010, 23:57
Sato looks terrible and has not been fast. Lloyd lost a bunch of points with people today. He is hamstrung though, by being on Coyne's team and being on a team with Milka. Romancini should still be in Lights. Baguette hasn't shown anything yet.

I did not expect Sato to be this incompetent. He is an experienced openwheel road course driver so the give him time excuse is out. He is a complete embarassment to this point and has proven what some of us said...he has no business in the series. He has nothing to offer, nothing.

garyshell
18th April 2010, 23:59
Just saw this from yesterday on Twitter:

GrahamRahal: Again another tough day. We think we have a cracked chassis, and we can't change it. Very frustrated. Don't know where to begin.

Ouch!

Gary

TURN3
19th April 2010, 00:00
And lots of credit to Moraes today. Whit all do respect to RHR and J-Dub, Moraes had the "race" of the day. He was pretty quick most of the weekend and made plenty of moves on the track...plus hold off Helio for last 10 laps or so.

DanicaFan
19th April 2010, 01:31
It would be even better if he had a fulltime ride (which he doesn't).

He will have one. At the start of the year, he didnt think he was going to run here at Long Beach today but he did and won. :)

DanicaFan
19th April 2010, 01:37
Here are the final results..

1. #37 Ryan Hunter-Reay
2. #22 Justin Wilson
3. #12 Will Power
4. #9 Scott Dixon
5. #11 Tony Kanaan
6. #32 Mario Moraes
7. #3 Helio Castroneves
8. #6 Ryan Briscoe
9. #4 Dan Wheldon
10. #24 Mike Conway
11. #14 Vitor Meira
12. #10 Dario Franchitti
13. #06 Hideki Mutoh
14. #26 Marco Andretti
15. #8 EJ Viso
16. #7 Danica Patrick
17. #78 Simona De Silvestro
18. #5 Takuma Sato
19. #19 Alex Lloyd
20. #2 Raphael Matos
21. #77 Alex Tagliani
22. #67 Graham Rahal
23. #34 Mario Romancini
24. #36 Bertrand Baguette
25. #18 Milka Duno

DanicaFan
19th April 2010, 05:26
Here are the current point standings after Long Beach...

Race 4 of 17

1. Will Power 172
2. Helio Castroneves 130 -42
3. Ryan Hunter-Reay 129 -43
4. Justin Wilson 125 -47
5. Dario Franchitti 112 -60
6. Scott Dixon 112 -60
7. Ryan Briscoe 103 -69
8. Tony Kanaan 94 -78
9. Raphael Matos 84 -88
10. Dan Wheldon 83 -89
11. Vitor Meira 81 -91
12. Marco Andretti 78 -94
13. Mike Conway 78 -94
14. Alex Tagliani 72 -100
15. Mario Moraes 69 -103
16. Danica Patrick 67 -105
17. EJ Viso 60 -112
18. Hideki Mutoh 60 -112
19. Mario Romancini 54 -118
20. Simona De Silvestro 53 -119
21. Alex Lloyd 48 -124
22. Graham Rahal 47 -125
23. Milka Duno 46 -126
24. Takuma Sato 46 -126
25. Bertrand Baguette 24 -148
26. Ana Beatriz 17 -155

mtrot
19th April 2010, 05:34
Congrats to RHR on the win. Lap after lap, he was like a machine out there. He also showed patience when behind Power, and didn't make any rash mistakes.

Jag_Warrior
19th April 2010, 06:36
He will have one. At the start of the year, he didnt think he was going to run here at Long Beach today but he did and won. :)

I haven't really been keeping up with the soap opera lately. But when Beccy said that, I was floored. The guy (the American) with the series sponsor on his car isn't CERTAIN that he has a fulltime ride???!!!

As the oldtimers used to say when I was a lad, "you gotta be **!##in' me?!"

edv
19th April 2010, 16:37
So was Rahal driving SFR's new tub? or Sarah's old one? If the new tub is cracked, that's just awful for that team...IMO they are the underdog team worth cheering for.

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2010, 19:13
I haven't really been keeping up with the soap opera lately. But when Beccy said that, I was floored. The guy (the American) with the series sponsor on his car isn't CERTAIN that he has a fulltime ride???!!!

As the oldtimers used to say when I was a lad, "you gotta be **!##in' me?!"

It is what is wrong with things right now. I don't grasp why corporate America isn't jumping into this series with both feet. For what it costs to be on a fender 4 times a year in Cup racing, they can do the whole IRL season and get some very fun and intelligent drivers to be their spokespeople.

Congrats to RHR....now it is up to the IRL to make sure he runs the whole season. They have to find someone...

TURN3
19th April 2010, 19:22
It is what is wrong with things right now. I don't grasp why corporate America isn't jumping into this series with both feet. For what it costs to be on a fender 4 times a year in Cup racing, they can do the whole IRL season and get some very fun and intelligent drivers to be their spokespeople.

Congrats to RHR....now it is up to the IRL to make sure he runs the whole season. They have to find someone...

And lets not look past the fact Rahal is now done with his SFR deal. Equally as necessary as RHR is Graham and the league or teams aren't really stepping up to that situation (removed from SFR that is). If Graham isn't having any luck then who knows with RHR? Both situations along with PT are ridiculous. It is time to tackle the opportunity and they are just rolling along as if it will all take care of itself. Fingers crossed for all these guys. Hopefully RHR's win here settles that issue anyway.

jackmart
20th April 2010, 02:28
I think GR was driving her old car.

I thought for LB NHL was going to pick him up and taht is why Mutoh is driving their secondary car. I was so mad when I saw Graham get hit. IMO it looks like Mario did a stupid rookie move and tried to dive on the inside. Idk if I believe it was a issue with his breaks.

Since meeting most of the racecar drivers my least favorite are Will Power and Helio, they are just very rude so I was glad to see that RHR won and that Justin did good too.

I was listening on my scanner as I was going to return them. It was funny bc you can hear the commentators trying to find ppl to interview when there is a commercial. I take it they don't like Danica bc one was like I can interview Danica and the main guy was like what the hell would we interview her for, she finished 16th.

TURN3
20th April 2010, 03:10
I think GR was driving her old car.

I thought for LB NHL was going to pick him up and taht is why Mutoh is driving their secondary car. I was so mad when I saw Graham get hit. IMO it looks like Mario did a stupid rookie move and tried to dive on the inside. Idk if I believe it was a issue with his breaks.

Since meeting most of the racecar drivers my least favorite are Will Power and Helio, they are just very rude so I was glad to see that RHR won and that Justin did good too.

I was listening on my scanner as I was going to return them. It was funny bc you can hear the commentators trying to find ppl to interview when there is a commercial. I take it they don't like Danica bc one was like I can interview Danica and the main guy was like what the hell would we interview her for, she finished 16th.

Sorry to hear you had a "rude" experience with Will. We spoke with him a couple of times through the weekend and he was very gracious and humble. I came away with a very positive impression of him as well as many others. The only driver I really couldn't stand was Marco...he is a little twerp.

jackmart
20th April 2010, 03:49
Sorry to hear you had a "rude" experience with Will. We spoke with him a couple of times through the weekend and he was very gracious and humble. I came away with a very positive impression of him as well as many others. The only driver I really couldn't stand was Marco...he is a little twerp.

I had hoped that when he was rude at Mid-Ohio it was a one time thing. It was odd bc during the autograph signing, that is what they are there to do. At least pretend to smile and be nice. But Will was on his phone and not paying some of the time and not paying attention to any of the fans in front of him and Helio was flirting with the tecate girl the whole time. However, Ryan is a class act and was the only humble Penske guy imo. GR surprised me and saw him signing things in padocks during Friday which was nice. Most people don't do that. I was walking back from the Expo and I saw Scott Dixon in the middle of the crowd walking towards the paddocks and no one knew it was him. It was so funny, I wished him good luck but it was so funny.

I thought Marco was a jerk before I had a chance to see him at Mid-Ohio and he actually wasn't that bad imo.

TURN3
20th April 2010, 04:04
I had hoped that when he was rude at Mid-Ohio it was a one time thing. It was odd bc during the autograph signing, that is what they are there to do. At least pretend to smile and be nice. But Will was on his phone and not paying some of the time and not paying attention to any of the fans in front of him and Helio was flirting with the tecate girl the whole time. However, Ryan is a class act and was the only humble Penske guy imo. GR surprised me and saw him signing things in padocks during Friday which was nice. Most people don't do that. I was walking back from the Expo and I saw Scott Dixon in the middle of the crowd walking towards the paddocks and no one knew it was him. It was so funny, I wished him good luck but it was so funny.

I thought Marco was a jerk before I had a chance to see him at Mid-Ohio and he actually wasn't that bad imo.

That's ironic, I saw Dixon there too! You and I were probably were within a couple feet of each other. You're right, nobody notice him. Pretty odd to see the drivers in street clothes taking the fan routes. They have the "tunnel" from they Hyatt, past the expo center and arena, all the way to the paddock. Must have been coming from the press conference area in the convention center or something.

NickFalzone
20th April 2010, 04:23
It's funny to hear stories about "difficult" drivers that are not pleasant to the fans. We all have our off-days, so I generally wouldn't take that sort of thing personally. But having seen the crowds at some of these events... they're not exactly getting mobbed by fans. Granted I haven't been to many of the events on the calendar, but my impression is that outside of Indy, the vast majority are VERY casual fans that other than Danica, do not really recognize the drivers. So to be rude just seems silly. For those that have walked the paddock, are there a lot of clingy fans that seem to annoy the drivers for autographs? My guess is no, certainly compared to NASCAR, but even to the casual observer my guess is that there's not lot of fans mobbing Dario or Dixon or TK.

Mark in Oshawa
20th April 2010, 18:38
It's funny to hear stories about "difficult" drivers that are not pleasant to the fans. We all have our off-days, so I generally wouldn't take that sort of thing personally. But having seen the crowds at some of these events... they're not exactly getting mobbed by fans. Granted I haven't been to many of the events on the calendar, but my impression is that outside of Indy, the vast majority are VERY casual fans that other than Danica, do not really recognize the drivers. So to be rude just seems silly. For those that have walked the paddock, are there a lot of clingy fans that seem to annoy the drivers for autographs? My guess is no, certainly compared to NASCAR, but even to the casual observer my guess is that there's not lot of fans mobbing Dario or Dixon or TK.

That is my experience's when I would see the old CART guys when I was a regular in Toronto. Put them in street clothes, and people wouldn't realize who they were looking at until they were gone. Most of the drivers if you catch them in the right situation you would figure were dinks. The Andretti's never treated anyone I knew very well, yet others tell me Michael was gracious. I have no idea on Marco, but I would believe from what I have seen of his persona he is no different than his dad.

I know people who love PT, and others who hate him. I know PT's dad on a very distant level, in that I know of him and have talked to him, and he told me once Paul is very driven and if he is lost in his own thoughts, he can be rude. Well, that sums up most race drivers I think.....

garyshell
20th April 2010, 19:10
That is my experience's when I would see the old CART guys when I was a regular in Toronto. Put them in street clothes, and people wouldn't realize who they were looking at until they were gone. Most of the drivers if you catch them in the right situation you would figure were dinks. The Andretti's never treated anyone I knew very well, yet others tell me Michael was gracious. I have no idea on Marco, but I would believe from what I have seen of his persona he is no different than his dad.

I know people who love PT, and others who hate him. I know PT's dad on a very distant level, in that I know of him and have talked to him, and he told me once Paul is very driven and if he is lost in his own thoughts, he can be rude. Well, that sums up most race drivers I think.....

And when he's not busy working he can be a very nice guy. I got to talk to him in the paddock last year at Mid Ohio. I had brought a copy of his very first press kit for him to sign. He was genuinely interested in seeing it again and thanked me for bringing it. But I made sure to corner him at a down time. Too many folks expect too much of the drivers while they are busy doing their job.

Gary

Mark in Oshawa
20th April 2010, 19:54
That is my take too Gary. I was on a course with a woman who loves Indycars, and she hates Paul Tracy. Just thinks he is a first class dork, and yet LOVES Michael Andretti. Yet she may be the only person who would say they had a positive Michael experience that I know of.

The one thing I think that is obvious from my years in racing I have met 4 guys who really seem to be the real deal: Al Unser Sr, Rick Mears, Ron Fellows and Max Papis. Met Max in the bathroom of all places at Mosport, and met him again at the Molson Indy one year. Just a great, great guy, genuine. Ditto for for the rest of them really, but Rick Mears just floored me with his self depreciating sense of humor and his great way of handling people around the hauler one year wanting autographs......

anthonyvop
20th April 2010, 21:27
That is my take too Gary. I was on a course with a woman who loves Indycars, and she hates Paul Tracy. Just thinks he is a first class dork, and yet LOVES Michael Andretti. Yet she may be the only person who would say they had a positive Michael experience that I know of.

The one thing I think that is obvious from my years in racing I have met 4 guys who really seem to be the real deal: Al Unser Sr, Rick Mears, Ron Fellows and Max Papis. Met Max in the bathroom of all places at Mosport, and met him again at the Molson Indy one year. Just a great, great guy, genuine. Ditto for for the rest of them really, but Rick Mears just floored me with his self depreciating sense of humor and his great way of handling people around the hauler one year wanting autographs......

Rick Mears is a class act.

Max Always seems to be in a genuine good mood. Even when things are tough give him 5 mins and he is smiling and joking.

Mark in Oshawa
20th April 2010, 21:53
Rick Mears is a class act.

Max Always seems to be in a genuine good mood. Even when things are tough give him 5 mins and he is smiling and joking.

He is a gentleman of the first order. It sucks he isn't in OW no more, but I cant knock the guy for trying something new...

Easy Drifter
21st April 2010, 01:41
I didn't get asked for my autograph all that much when I drove but I never ever refused, even when sitting in the car ready to go track.
However for about a half hour before a race I did not really want to talk to anyone except my crew or other drivers or crews.
All the drivers I worked with were pretty much the same. The closer to qualifying or race time the less they wanted to talk to strangers.
My point of view is a little skewered I guess because when you are part of a series, wether a driver or crew, everybody knows each other and often partied together.

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 03:29
I didn't get asked for my autograph all that much when I drove but I never ever refused, even when sitting in the car ready to go track.
However for about a half hour before a race I did not really want to talk to anyone except my crew or other drivers or crews.
All the drivers I worked with were pretty much the same. The closer to qualifying or race time the less they wanted to talk to strangers.
My point of view is a little skewered I guess because when you are part of a series, wether a driver or crew, everybody knows each other and often partied together.

Drifter, unlike you, I have been around them close, but not as a crew or participant. I can honestly say you are right on how they get crankier closer to go time, but there are some in the sport that just don't seem to grasp how much they need to curry favour with all the fans...not just when they feel like it.

garyshell
21st April 2010, 04:47
Drifter, unlike you, I have been around them close, but not as a crew or participant. I can honestly say you are right on how they get crankier closer to go time, but there are some in the sport that just don't seem to grasp how much they need to curry favour with all the fans...not just when they feel like it.

I don't know Mark, but I think it is unrealistic for the fans to expect anything from the drivers once they suit up prior to the race. I've been going to races for a very long time and I have never even thought of approaching a driver under those circumstances other than to offer a "hello" or "good luck". But maybe that is because I have been going for a very long time. These folks are about to go to work, very serious, very dangerous work. And all of their focus needs to be on that. Now after the race, after the morning drivers meeting, after qualifying, etc I think they are "fair game" and any of them that don't recognize that need an attitude adjustment. But that time between exiting the trailer and the end of the race is sacred and belongs only to them. The rest of the time, they damn well better be ready to smile at the folks who ultimately pay their bills.

I think back to watching Greg Moore interact with the fans. It was clear he relished every moment of it. He loved it, or if he didn't he was a better actor than most on the silver screen.

Gary

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 06:03
I don't know Mark, but I think it is unrealistic for the fans to expect anything from the drivers once they suit up prior to the race. I've been going to races for a very long time and I have never even thought of approaching a driver under those circumstances other than to offer a "hello" or "good luck". But maybe that is because I have been going for a very long time. These folks are about to go to work, very serious, very dangerous work. And all of their focus needs to be on that. Now after the race, after the morning drivers meeting, after qualifying, etc I think they are "fair game" and any of them that don't recognize that need an attitude adjustment. But that time between exiting the trailer and the end of the race is sacred and belongs only to them. The rest of the time, they damn well better be ready to smile at the folks who ultimately pay their bills.

I think back to watching Greg Moore interact with the fans. It was clear he relished every moment of it. He loved it, or if he didn't he was a better actor than most on the silver screen.

Gary

I agree Gary. That said, the drivers once they are are in the "zone" of getting mentally ready, usually are cut off from the public anyhow. If they walk out to talk to the crew, and fans are calling for them, there is no real good reason to not go over and say hi. Yet I have seen many drivers NOT do this. At some point, there is a line that isn't to be crossed, and fans do need to be more respectful, but there has been plenty of instances over my years of working at the Molson Indy where drivers just went by some of the volunteers like they were something to be scraped off their shoes. That said, Greg never did, And Dario never did. Even after Ashley and he were married, Dario if he was caught in a fan area did take the time. That said, they were careful to keep him isolated from the fans a bit since Ashley's presence would start a frenzy.

My best memory of Dario tho was when I was just hanging out on the grid before the ceremonial ride around in the sponsor's pickups for the driver's parade. Blundell was on pole and Dario was behind him, and the two of them were trash talking each other and laughing, and involving some of us hanger's on who were lucky to have passes for the area. Dario is a true class act, and it easy to see why he and Moore were such buddies.

Civic
21st April 2010, 06:49
I bumped into Memo Gidley in a bathroom at Thunderhill during the 2004 25 Hours of Thunderhill endurance race at like 2 in the morning. I just said "Wassup Memo?" He replied "Hey" while washing his hands. I wished him luck and he said "thanks" and left. He's a pretty cool dude.

Civic
21st April 2010, 08:16
Oh another thing I wanted to ask. Has anyone attended the Long Beach GP with a "Super Photo Pass" ticket? I think it's about $200-$300 and it gets you admission to the event, as well as a pass to "super photo" spots where you can get clear shots without worrying about other people, fences, trees, obstructions, etc.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to do next year. I only remember seeing two "super photo" spots walking around the track. One is by the hairpin, and the other is by what I think is turn 7.

jackmart
21st April 2010, 16:06
what do you guys think of Wilson complaining about Lloyd cutting him off? IMO he should have been more patient and he didn't really have the pass made but expected Lloyd to just get out of the way.

SarahFan
21st April 2010, 16:11
what do you guys think of Wilson complaining about Lloyd cutting him off? IMO he should have been more patient and he didn't really have the pass made but expected Lloyd to just get out of the way.

legitimate complaint IMO

jackmart
21st April 2010, 16:48
to me he didn't have the move done. it reminded me of mario cutting graham off, he cut him off and expected him to just slow down it seemed

garyshell
21st April 2010, 16:52
to me he didn't have the move done. it reminded me of mario cutting graham off, he cut him off and expected him to just slow down it seemed

I think Justin said something about Alex having let RHR by and was expecting the same thing when Alex pulled down on him. It looked like Alex could have easily given Justin room but didn't.

Gary

SarahFan
21st April 2010, 17:20

maybe im wrong.... perhaps others can weigh in

but when P1 and P2 are running within a second of each other and you let the first guy thru you should also let the second guy thru...

its not like RHR made a pass, he was let by IMO

*sometimes when you let one guy by the whole train goes by, including someone you (the passee) is in contention with..... that wasnt the case here,

jackmart
21st April 2010, 18:00
gotcha. I thought RHR made the pass. It seemed like he had to wait 5 laps or so to finally get it done and he did.

SarahFan
21st April 2010, 18:05
gotcha. I thought RHR made the pass. It seemed like he had to wait 5 laps or so to finally get it done and he did.

5 laps sounds about right.....I was sitting in hairpin and didnt see it except on the big screen...

as too 5 laps.... that seems a fair amount under the circumstances for lloyd to run hard and hope for a yellow to stay on the lead lap...

at that point he should have let them both by, not just p1

anyone else have a thought on that?

TURN3
21st April 2010, 18:11
5 laps sounds about right.....I was sitting in hairpin and didnt see it except on the big screen...

as too 5 laps.... that seems a fair amount under the circumstances for lloyd to run hard and hope for a yellow to stay on the lead lap...

at that point he should have let them both by, not just p1

anyone else have a thought on that?

You are absolutely correct Ken...Lloyd fought to stay on the lead lap but he was awfully agressive in defending against RHR...and it was about 5 laps. Once RHR forced his way past, Lloyd should have been obligated to let Wilson through, he'd lost his battle to be on the lead lap and at that point you don't hold up P2. He went into 8 offline and not having the proper run off of 7, it was his spot but he could easily have ceded to Wilson there. When he didn't, he didn't even give Wilson room to back out...that is where Justin's grip really is. He said if you're not going to give way then at least give me room to get back out.

SarahFan
21st April 2010, 18:13
You are absolutely correct Ken...Lloyd fought to stay on the lead lap but he was awfully agressive in defending against RHR...and it was about 5 laps. Once RHR forced his way past, Lloyd should have been obligated to let Wilson through, he'd lost his battle to be on the lead lap and at that point you don't hold up P2. He went into 8 offline and not having the proper run off of 7, it was his spot but he could easily have ceded to Wilson there. When he didn't, he didn't even give Wilson room to back out...that is where Justin's grip really is. He said if you're not going to give way then at least give me room to get back out.

did Ryan fight his way past or did Lloyd let him by?

*like i said i only caught it on the bigscreen

TURN3
21st April 2010, 18:22
did Ryan fight his way past or did Lloyd let him by?

*like i said i only caught it on the bigscreen

Ryan had to fight his way past, at least that is how I saw it. Lloyd really chopped him a few times and got Ryan off line and he lost momentum. Fighting to stay on the lead lap is one thing, but he nearly took out RHR in at least 1 instance.