PDA

View Full Version : Was there ever a season...

Koz
6th April 2010, 06:56
When a driver won the WDC/team winning the WCC without actually winning a race?

Ranger
6th April 2010, 07:00
Nope.

Hawthorn in 1958 and Rosberg in 1982 both had 1-win championships, and that is the lowest to date.

Not sure what the lowest number of wins that secured a WCC is though.

UltimateDanGTR
6th April 2010, 07:41
ferrari won just 3 races in 1982 and won the constructors championship.

I doubt there is one with less than that.

edit: ferrari did the same in 1964 as well!

inimitablestoo
6th April 2010, 17:46
Rosberg's '82 season arguably comes closest because the race he won was the Swiss Grand Prix - in France! So technically he won the World Championship by winning a Grand Prix from a country where the sport had been banned for 27 years...

Saint Devote
7th April 2010, 00:53
Rosberg's '82 season arguably comes closest because the race he won was the Swiss Grand Prix - in France! So technically he won the World Championship by winning a Grand Prix from a country where the sport had been banned for 27 years...

Thats true but it was an inspired idea because Switzerland is only a few miles away and close to Zurich.

ioan
7th April 2010, 01:06
Thats true but it was an inspired idea because Switzerland is only a few miles away and close to Zurich.

Really? And me thinking that Zurich is in Switzerland! :confused:

Saint Devote
7th April 2010, 01:20

That is good thinking, congratulations, because it is also close to the Dijon-Prenois circuit - a few miles.

Mark
7th April 2010, 08:14

As I'm going there in June. I can confirm it is indeed in Switzerland :p

Mark
7th April 2010, 09:09
Well for years we had a supposed race at San Marino too...

At least the Monaco Grand Prix is actually in Monaco!

Saint Devote
8th April 2010, 01:50
Personally I would be disappointed if Jenson won a championship with one win only.

As a fan I would rather watch "my" driver win half a dozen races and NOT win the championship given these choices.

The championship is somewhat esoteric compared to races - albeit a charming incidental accrual :-]

Koz
8th April 2010, 02:30
I'd love to see a season where we have a lot of race winners and the WDC didn't win a single race, but still takes it home!

Go Massa! :)

keysersoze
8th April 2010, 18:54
And Rosberg's WDC had a couple of extenuating circumstances, with both Ferrari drivers who started the season failing to finish the season. :(

Saint Devote
9th April 2010, 03:18
I'd love to see a season where we have a lot of race winners and the WDC didn't win a single race, but still takes it home!

Go Massa! :)

I think Bernie would then have to be placed on suicide watch!!

It would also be extremely embarassing for the driver as the press would taunt him.

Could any driver even WANT that. I do not think so.

ShiftingGears
9th April 2010, 06:41
It would also be extremely embarassing for the driver as the press would taunt him.

Who would feel embarrassed about winning a World Drivers Championship?

Mark
9th April 2010, 08:26
Could any driver even WANT that. I do not think so.

They would have rather won races, of course. But would they take it, of course. Most drivers would kill their own gran for a WDC, wins or no wins.

History records that you were champion, how you got it is not important.

LadySnowcat
10th April 2010, 13:41

If that ever happened it would happen to Nick Heidfeld...

So not this year then....

Unless a certain German's neck takes a turn for the worse imminently....

Saint Devote
11th April 2010, 03:15
........ Most drivers would kill their own gran for a WDC, wins or no wins.

History records that you were champion, how you got it is not important.

I disagree with you on both counts above. Further - the ends justify the means? Never. It never can and never will - that is the core description of evil.

Saint Devote
11th April 2010, 03:22
If that ever happened it would happen to Nick Heidfeld...

So not this year then....

Unless a certain German's neck takes a turn for the worse imminently....

You imply Schumi will quit? Why would he quit?

It is a credit to who he is that too many people consider him a superman. We know that there is no such concept, yet such expectation is irrational and demonstrates a total lack of understanding what happened from 1995 until 2006.

Unless there is a valid reason, Heidfeld is not likely to not drive an F1 car in a grand prix.