PDA

View Full Version : Bored, anyone?

maximilian
4th April 2010, 21:12
So there was a lot of crying about how boring Bahrain was, and that something had to be done desperately to "spice up the show"...

Oh yeah? :p :

I didn't feel that way then, and NOW I worry whatever they might come up with to "spice up the show" might have the opposite effect.

Seems to me like the TRACKS have as much to do with how interesting a race is as anything. There are just some tracks that don't make for interesting races... places like the Hungaroring, or the dreaded and ever increasing street courses.

Yeah, Bahrain wasn't the most interesting race, but I felt it was far from boring. Australia was a thriller in the wet, and now Malaysia was a fantastic race in the DRY. As far as I am concerned, there need to be NO tweaks as of right now, and I am still a big supporter of the refueling ban. Your thoughts?

Sonic
4th April 2010, 21:22
The race was good but it must be considered what type of race we'd have seen if everyone qualified properly.

The main battles we witnessed wouldn't have occured with a standard grid, with perhaps the Ferrari/Button race the only exception. That would have left us with some overtaking in the mid order between the torro's and Petrov etc but little else.

wedge
4th April 2010, 22:07
A 'normal' starting grid in Malaysia today would've been a 'boring' race, admittedly.

Unless you're severely compromised with handling and go for a crazy strategy a la Button, the tyres/cars are too good.

steveaki13
4th April 2010, 22:08
I think the next time we have a standard dry race with a proper grid Top 8. Then we will know if there is a problem.
If it goes like Bahrain (Which by the way I didn't find Boring Personally), I think the governing bodies may take action for next season.

DexDexter
4th April 2010, 22:50
I think the next time we have a standard dry race with a proper grid Top 8. Then we will know if there is a problem.
If it goes like Bahrain (Which by the way I didn't find Boring Personally), I think the governing bodies may take action for next season.

The problem with the current qualifying format is that normally the fastest cars will qualify in front, while last year you could play a little bit with fuel loads and a slower car was sometimes closer to the front which created more interesting scenarios for the race.

e2mtt
4th April 2010, 23:04
I'll remind you all again and again... without unexpected things like mechanical failures, driver errors, and rain, Formula 1 will always be rather predictable. The fast cars qualify in front of the slow ones, and stay that way.

Josti
4th April 2010, 23:07
A 'normal' starting grid in Malaysia today would've been a 'boring' race, admittedly.

With McLaren and Ferrari up front, the battle for the lead could've been more open than it was now.

call_me_andrew
5th April 2010, 03:01
I'm not ready to declare myself a supporter of the refueling ban, but I'm warming up to it.

ShiftingGears
5th April 2010, 03:04
They should get rid of the compulsary tyre change. Then you'd get drivers like Button trying to go the whole race distance on one set of tyres trying to beat faster teammates.

Jag_Warrior
5th April 2010, 03:13
They should get rid of the compulsary tyre change. Then you'd get drivers like Button trying to go the whole race distance on one set of tyres trying to beat faster teammates.

Funny you should mention that. That also crossed my mind mid-race. What I was thinking was, ONLY if you chose to stop for tires should you be forced to use the other tire spec. Otherwise, if you want to stay out... stay out. If it ends in tears, that's just how things go sometimes.

maximilian
5th April 2010, 03:35
Funny you should mention that. That also crossed my mind mid-race. What I was thinking was, ONLY if you chose to stop for tires should you be forced to use the other tire spec. Otherwise, if you want to stay out... stay out. If it ends in tears, that's just how things go sometimes.
I love it! Make it so! :cool:

F1boat
5th April 2010, 09:22
I am against more changes as well. So far it is cool. Three different winners in three different races, from three different teams. Seven guys within ten points. Only one driver - Felipe - has scored two podiums. I can't want more.

Wasted Talent
5th April 2010, 10:10
The problem with the current qualifying format is that normally the fastest cars will qualify in front, while last year you could play a little bit with fuel loads and a slower car was sometimes closer to the front which created more interesting scenarios for the race.

Agreed

WT

airshifter
5th April 2010, 15:48

I wouldn't mind using that thought, but they would need better tires to do it. If not we would have mid pack drivers, and maybe some front pack drivers, risking using shot tires in an attempt to gain points or stay higher in the points.

As for the refueling ban, I think we might realize how much it changes things if we get a normal qually and consistent weather in a single race. Those two factors changed the last two races significantly. I can understand the decistion based on safety, but I think it will still take from the quality of racing overall.

Saint Devote
6th April 2010, 02:57

Unless you're severely compromised with handling and go for a crazy strategy a la Button, the tyres/cars are too good.

So now you think that Mclaren are irrational? There was nothing crazy about Jenson changing his tyres. It would have beem "crazy" to continue.

And it is to Button's credit that he managed to drive virtually the whole race and still finish quite well - but then thats why Whitmarsh signed him, they know how good he is.

F1boat
6th April 2010, 08:25
So now you think that Mclaren are irrational? There was nothing crazy about Jenson changing his tyres. It would have beem "crazy" to continue.

And it is to Button's credit that he managed to drive virtually the whole race and still finish quite well - but then thats why Whitmarsh signed him, they know how good he is.

I agree. Jenson was losing time behind Alonso, no point continuing. They know how smooth he is. The strategy was smart.

Garry Walker
6th April 2010, 08:42
The last two races have had crazy situations happen in them, we will be back to bahrain type of races when we dont get rain or collisions at the start.

wedge
6th April 2010, 13:03

So why was Button overtaken by Massa and Hamilton? Because of the car and tyres.

jens
6th April 2010, 14:48

Considering, how hard passing is, I suspect from now on everyone would opt for a zero-stop race and concentrate simply keeping their track position. :\ Australia surely taught Hamilton a lesson not to make a pitstop unless it was needed by sporting regulations.

V12
6th April 2010, 15:09
Considering, how hard passing is, I suspect from now on everyone would opt for a zero-stop race and concentrate simply keeping their track position. :\ Australia surely taught Hamilton a lesson not to make a pitstop unless it was needed by sporting regulations.

Passing is hard when the cars and tyres are running at or near their optimum performance. When your tyres are shot, they are shot, they are the only four links between your car with all its lovely downforce and power, and the road. If we had a greater mix of cars on fresh rubber and cars running on proverbial canvas, we'd have a greater possibility of overtaking. F1 NEEDS to get rid of the mandatory pitstop, not only because it is offensive but because it would actually mix things up a bit on-track. Standardised and sanitised regulations = standardised and sanitised racing.

Anywho, I also think that anyone within F1 who uses the words "spice" and "show" in the same sentence should be given a Briatore-esque ban with no right of appeal :grenade:

jens
6th April 2010, 20:28
Passing is hard when the cars and tyres are running at or near their optimum performance.

In Australia Hamilton had much fresher tyres than Alonso, but he was still in great difficulties.

harvick#1
6th April 2010, 21:35
for racing I think to get better,

Bridgestone needs to have 3-4 tires options for the teams, a super-soft, which basically dies in 7-10 laps, a soft 15-20 laps a medium - 25-30 laps, and a hard 35-40 laps.

this could really throw a curve ball into the racing and will make it far more exciting. a soft compound should not be able to last half the race distance

stephenw_us
6th April 2010, 22:19
The problem was what they did to Bahrain - the new section of the track is a joke - it was actually a pretty good circuit before then...