PDA

View Full Version : oh no i lost an engine

CNR
4th April 2010, 11:00
is it goning to be hard for some team with the extra 2 races this year ?

alonso-2
massa-1
webber-1
de la Rosa -1

F1boat
4th April 2010, 11:04
Seems that Ferrari is not so reliable as they say. Looking at the WDC, the top 7 guys, with this system, within 10 points - that's crazy and looks very promising for the championship.

goodf1fun
5th April 2010, 10:09
schumacher lost an engine yesterday??

Mia 01
5th April 2010, 11:07
Is it the fourth engine for Alonso next race?

I would like to know the engine cycles for all drivers.

ioan
7th April 2010, 01:31
For now Alonso only lost 1 engine and Felipe none.

Sonic
7th April 2010, 07:50

Yup. The Bahrain change was cautionary so those engines can go back in at a latter date if needed.

Mark
7th April 2010, 09:50
Yup. The Bahrain change was cautionary so those engines can go back in at a latter date if needed.

Which is why this is a much better system than the "2 races per engine" rule. Teams are free to decide their own strategies, rather than being forced to take a penalty for using an 'extra' engine when they'd taken out a perfectly good one earlier in the year.

Big Ben
7th April 2010, 10:17

So it's true than. I've heard they are actually trying to use them more uniformly or something like that. So what happens when they run out of them. They get penalized at each race? or for every new engine they use?

bluegem280
7th April 2010, 11:05
schumacher lost an engine yesterday??
no, he had problem with slackened off rear wheel..

Big Ben
7th April 2010, 11:27
well... mine has almost 60.000 kms and haven't got a problem so far.. and it is very economical too... so when ferrari run out of them I can borrow it.... no problem....

DazzlaF1
7th April 2010, 21:57
So it's true than. I've heard they are actually trying to use them more uniformly or something like that. So what happens when they run out of them. They get penalized at each race? or for every new engine they use?

For every engine they use over the limit of 8, they would get a 10 place grid penalty for each race

i_max2k2
8th April 2010, 00:40
Okie so 8 engine, would mean some engines would have to do 3 races, is there a limit on running so many races with one engine? That might never happen, but it would interesting in the last 4-5 races, especially when the championship leaders would want more points.

Mark
8th April 2010, 09:00
Okie so 8 engine, would mean some engines would have to do 3 races, is there a limit on running so many races with one engine?

No limit. You could do the entire season on a single engine if you so desired.

That might never happen, but it would interesting in the last 4-5 races, especially when the championship leaders would want more points.

Indeed. Teams have to be sensible and not use 8 engines in the first 8 races!
I think what many of them do later in the year is engines which have already been used for a few Grand Prix's will be put into the car for practice and then a newer engine put in for qualy and the race.

Mark
8th April 2010, 09:02
From a technical view, is there any current data as to how much performance an F1 engine loses after it's done a grand prix distance?

I remember a few years ago it was said that an engine on it's second race would likely be around 1/10th second slower, but since modifications for "reliability" are permitted I would expect that gap to have significantly narrowed by now.

Mia 01
8th April 2010, 09:12
Somewhere I read that next year, teams only can have five engines for the whole year.

Add to that one moore race, (20).

wmcot
8th April 2010, 09:33
For every engine they use over the limit of 8, they would get a 10 place grid penalty for each race

So the ninth engine would incur a 10 place penalty for that race, or each following race that it is used in?

Mark
8th April 2010, 09:56
So the ninth engine would incur a 10 place penalty for that race, or each following race that it is used in?

From the regs:
Each driver may use no more than eight engines during a Championship season. Should a driver use more than eight engines he will drop ten places on the starting grid at the first Event during which each additional engine is used. If two such additional engines are used during a single Event the driver concerned will drop ten places on the starting grid at that Event and at the following Event.
An engine will be deemed to have been used once the car’s timing transponder has shown that it has left the pit lane.

Mia 01
8th April 2010, 20:26
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/Documents/mal-race-report.pdf

Poor Fernando

Retro Formula 1
8th April 2010, 20:42
So, that's 4 he's used isn't it coming into the next gp?

DazzlaF1
8th April 2010, 23:16

Yep as that 9th engine is still one more than they are allowed to use.

ioan
8th April 2010, 23:22
From a technical view, is there any current data as to how much performance an F1 engine loses after it's done a grand prix distance?

There was some data available last season, but I don't remember exactly what and where to find it.

Mark
9th April 2010, 08:21

Don't know what you mean there. But to clarify, if you use an engine outside the allowance you get *one* 10 place drop. After that you are free to use that engine without penalty. For teams already at the back of the grid, 10 place drops won't mean much to them!

The problem is going to be if the championship fight gets close towards the end and the championship pretty much gets decided because someone has to change an engine.

Garry Walker
9th April 2010, 09:56

9th engine means a penalty only for the race you first use it in, not for following races.

i_max2k2
9th April 2010, 18:52
Btw is there any site which is keeping track of the engines used so far?

Mia 01
9th April 2010, 18:55
Btw is there any site which is keeping track of the engines used so far?

Please, read, I posted it!!

i_max2k2
11th April 2010, 02:38
Please, read, I posted it!!