Rosberg - first podium for Mercedes
Kubica - another strong drive
Alonso - almost got a sick car home
Alguersuari - great drive into the points
Sutil - did well to hold off Hamilton
Hamilton/Massa/Button - impressive drives from poor grid positions

Garry Walker
4th April 2010, 10:53
I dont see a reason to give it to vettel - he did not even have to push 100% all the race.

Sadly, only Hamilton deserves it imo. His charge at the beginning was very impressing.

gloomyDAY
4th April 2010, 10:57
I think Vettel deserves it because he blitzed 2 cars at the beginning of the race and went on to beat Webber who was faster during the course of the race. Vettel has remarkably improved his starts and is maturing very well. The monkey is off RBR's back!

F1boat
4th April 2010, 10:57
Vettel. After all the trouble, great start and flawless race.

pino
4th April 2010, 10:58
Vettel
Hamilton
Alonso

Robinho
4th April 2010, 10:59
Vettel did nothing wrong, but also not much very special either.

Kubica is driving brilliantly, Hamilton was impressive again. Alonso coping with the gearbox problem for so long and still being as quick or quicker than Massa.

but for me the driver of the day was Algesuari, great passes on cars for position, consistent, no mistakes and first points, beating his teammate at teh same time, nice once Algie

donKey jote
4th April 2010, 11:00
Rosberg - first podium for Mercedes
Kubica - another strong drive
Alonso - almost got a sick car home
Alguersuari - great drive into the points
Sutil - did well to hold off Hamilton
Hamilton/Massa/Button - impressive drives from poor grid positions

:up:

of all these, Alguersuari surprised me the most

ojciec dyrektor
4th April 2010, 11:06
Jaime Alguersuari! That guy drives just excellent!

gm99
4th April 2010, 11:10
I'd go for Alguersari, too - well deserved first-ever points finish!

Vettel had a great start that ultimately won him the race.
Hamilton provided some action in the early part of the race, although I did find his weaving with Petrov slightly excessive.

Dave B
4th April 2010, 11:18
Everybody gets a mention today! Special offer for easter! Honourable mention to HRT for getting both cars to the finish, Ferraris for overcoming their terrible qualifying, Button for being brave enough to gamble again while stuck behind the reds, Hamilton for blitzing through the field, Vettel for his decisive move on Webber, Webber for glueing himself to Seb's rear wing, Rosberg for Mercedes' best result of the year, Alonso for hanging on despite a gearbox problem, Lotus for just never giving up, Virgin for having a little bit of pace for once, Toro Rosso for being on the ball... let's have a party :D

Robinho
4th April 2010, 11:20
hey Dave, how about Di Grassi for being best of the new boys, despite running about 25 secs/lap down for the last few laps

ojciec dyrektor
4th April 2010, 11:24
And Petrov for fighting like a pro.

VkmSpouge
4th April 2010, 11:28
Sebastian Vettel drove flawlessly so would be my driver of the day. Jaime Alguersuari is a close second after his very performance today and a mention to Lucas di Grassi for finishing 14th.

jens
4th April 2010, 11:30
Vettel's situation reminds a bit of Clark - always leading and only car problems prevent him from winning.

The consistency of Rosberg and Kubica has kept both drivers not far away from the championship lead in a car that obviously lacks speed compared to the top teams - as a result I must say this season is starting to remind a bit of that messy 2008, only that we have even more contenders now. :D

Sutil achieved his second-best career result and for a change had a troublefree race! Hamilton and Button continue to play on their strengths - LH with overtaking and JB with strategy. Both did well, but Button's tyres were clearly shot in the end to give a meaningful fight.

First points in their careers for Alguersuari and Hülkenberg! Last year some people were questioning whether the Spaniard is good enough for F1, but he has clearly improved after winter testing sessions. Nico finally showed a glimpse of potential this weekend, based on which he was highly-hyped after pre-F1 career, but for some reason he faded a bit at the end of the race.

Special mention to Chandhok for beating Senna all weekend.

steveaki13
4th April 2010, 11:34
Vettel - For a win that was made to look easy.
Rosberg - Solid 3rd.
Kubica - Another great race from him for major points.
Sutil - Solid drive to hold off faster cars and score good points
Hamilton - For his sensational start and first stint while he left Massa, Alonso & Button stuck behind Toro Rosso's
Alguersuari - A great drive and passes to score 2 points.
Di Grassi - A small mention for getting a Virgin to the end.
Chandhok & Senna - Both Hispania's getting to the end and more competative than previous races.

Valve Bounce
4th April 2010, 11:37
I must say Hamilton. He gained places like he was on fire, and he drove superbly to overtake many cars to get his sixth. Maybe I picked him because the Beeb sure let us see what this guy was doing.
He made a lie to the claim that overtaking is impossible in F1.
Yeah! I was most impressed.

ozrevhead
4th April 2010, 12:31
And Petrov for fighting like a pro.
he was very entertaining to watch - I like him

Also mention for Nico, Jaime Alguersuari & Di Grassi (who continues to stay off Di Grass-i :D ) and doing well as the best of the newies!

wedge
4th April 2010, 12:53
Hamilton then Massa

Solid drive from Sutil. Wonder if he can consistently drive like this?

Wasted Talent
4th April 2010, 13:26
Vettel did nothing wrong, but also not much very special either.

Kubica is driving brilliantly, Hamilton was impressive again. Alonso coping with the gearbox problem for so long and still being as quick or quicker than Massa.

but for me the driver of the day was Algesuari, great passes on cars for position, consistent, no mistakes and first points, beating his teammate at teh same time, nice once Algie

100% agree. Algesuari actually looke dlike a racing driver for the first time!

WT

ozrevhead
4th April 2010, 13:30
100% agree. Algesuari actually looke dlike a racing driver for the first time!

WT
I thought he was thrown in the deep end too early this year but was fantastic today - Im liking the kid :D

Ent
4th April 2010, 15:49
Alguersuari for me. Great drive and I hope he goes on to build on this form.

anthonyvop
4th April 2010, 16:18
Hamilton was spectacular but Massa moved up as many spots....without the flash. His pass of Button was a thing of beauty.

Alonso's drive with that gearbox once again proves to me why he is the best driver in F1

Dave B
4th April 2010, 16:31
It pains me to say it, but Alonso certainly was impressive. I thought he was being somewhat reluctant to put a move on Massa until I realised he had a 'box problem. Obviously neither Ferrari nor McLaren should have been that far back in the first place, but damn it made for enternatining racing.

havk
4th April 2010, 18:24
Vettel - he just did what he should when passing on the start Webber and Rosberg and won the race
a special mention to Hamilton and Alguersuari

generally today most drivers showed good driving (Sutil, Kubica, Webber, Rosberg, Massa) and see no donkey of the race

superocean
4th April 2010, 20:14
Everyone's got good points.
Vettel won but he was able to pass b/c Webber had wheel spin and thus was not as impressive. He was his usual good w/o mistakes.
I think Alonso learning to drive fast with a bad box was great.
Jaime and Nico Hulkenberg showed me they belong in F1. Hope they improve and show us great results every race this year. Petrov seems to be a very good driver as well. His style seems agressive and looks like he's going to make things interesting in that Renault that is performing better than expected. Nico, Kubica and Sutil gets mentions for solid drives as well.

Rubens messed up the start so he gets the donkey.

truefan72
4th April 2010, 20:42
Alonso for a genius drive

Hamilton just behind for an incredible drive

steveaki13
4th April 2010, 22:03
I was impressed with Alonso's drive, you could clearly hear his struggles every time we went on board. It was amazing how he was able to keep in touch with and lap faster than the cars around him.

Looking at his 3 races on paper, it looks like an average start to the season, but one win and then basically 23rd to 4th in the next round, and on for 7th today from 19th with Gear problems before a retirment, to me show his great adaptability to different circumstances.

3 good drives for me.

Rodster
4th April 2010, 22:12
For me it was Alonso hands down winner and I dislike the SOB. To start a race with a busted clutch, then gearbox and keep the car in a points grab is impressive. Me thinks the engine probably gave out from clutch and gearbox trouble.

rohanweb
5th April 2010, 00:47
for me as usual it was Lewis Hamilton's impressive drive kept me awake throughout the race & the rest were boring as hell

ShiftingGears
5th April 2010, 00:50
Alonso.

truefan72
5th April 2010, 03:27
For me it was Alonso hands down winner and I dislike the SOB. To start a race with a busted clutch, then gearbox and keep the car in a points grab is impressive. Me thinks the engine probably gave out from clutch and gearbox trouble.

you know for the first time ever I actually shouted "oh no" when his engine blew up. i thought he deserved points for that drive. and Like you, I am certainly no Alonso fan, but brilliance has to be applauded no matter the driver.

Rodster
5th April 2010, 03:50
you know for the first time ever I actually shouted "oh no" when his engine blew up. i thought he deserved points for that drive. and Like you, I am certainly no Alonso fan, but brilliance has to be applauded no matter the driver.

What's funny is i'm a huge Ferrari fan but I still dislike Alonso. With that said as others have mentioned the guy IS the best driver on the grid. What separates Vettel from Alonso is that Alonso can make the car go fast when driving a broken car. Vettel OTOH was losing concentration when he had engine trouble in Bahrain. He was missing his apex on turns.

Hamilton had a nice drive, so did Nico, Webber and Seb, but again what separates the greats from other drivers is the ability to drive a wounded car as if nothing is wrong with it. Alonso was able to achieve that. I don't know if I can put Lewis in the Alonso category cause I haven't seen him drive a wounded car in a race and keep up with the front runners. For sure Seb, Webber and Nico are not in that group of Alonso's skill. That's why I still think Alonso will be crowned WDC, his drive today showed he wants a third title real bad.

Saint Devote
5th April 2010, 03:57
Hamilton was spectacular but Massa moved up as many spots....without the flash. His pass of Button was a thing of beauty.

Alonso's drive with that gearbox once again proves to me why he is the best driver in F1

Alonso mamaged the engine with the gears available and ultimately it destroyed his engine. but I agree that he was one of the drivers of the race.

The other was Vitaly Petrov showing his ability against Hamilton by repassing him, and the only way Lewis could beat him was to weave down the straight and block him. It came to nought anyway because Petrovs engine began to tighten up and he fell back and retired.

Well Jenson had to pit too early because of his rear tyres and his dice with Alonso was great - both cars hobbled in some way as Jenson's tyres were much slower than those who pitted later.

Massa went by because of that and of course as Mclaren twitter disclosed Jenson allowed Lewis by relatively easily for the same reason and that it was his teammate.

Mclaren's main goal, remains as stated by Ron Dennis, aside fromn the drivers finishing one and two, to win the Constructors Championship. Something they have failed to do for some time now.

anthonyvop
5th April 2010, 04:43
Alonso's drive was the stuff legends are made of.

Hamilton was great at passing cars that he should have qualified ahead of.

Massa's drive accomplished the same as LH but without the flair.....Still, after last years accident he is impressive.

Rosberg got his podium. Now he needs to step up and fight for a win.

Renault is still impressing the hell out of me. here is a team that could have imploded at the end of last year and yet they challenge for podiums.

Roamy
5th April 2010, 05:43
amen brother !!!

F1boat
5th April 2010, 09:20
Hamilton had a nice drive, so did Nico, Webber and Seb

Tsk. Lewis had a great drive and as a Jenson fan I am unhappy to admit that. Still Lewis murdered the rest in the beginning, at one point before the pit he was right behind Vettel and with a slightly slower car and P20 this was insane. Of course, he couldn't pass Sutil, but Adrian drove a flawless race as well and besides the Force India team has the biggest diffuser and it is tough to overtake.
Mark, Nico, Jenson and Felipe had nice drives. Lewis, Alonso and Vettel were classy.

aryan
5th April 2010, 10:12
Alguersari.

Honourable mention to Hamilton and Vettel.

Mia 01
5th April 2010, 11:00
When I consider their cars it has to be:

Jamie
Adrian
Robert.

Rodster
5th April 2010, 14:54
Tsk. Lewis had a great drive and as a Jenson fan I am unhappy to admit that. Still Lewis murdered the rest in the beginning, at one point before the pit he was right behind Vettel and with a slightly slower car and P20 this was insane. Of course, he couldn't pass Sutil, but Adrian drove a flawless race as well and besides the Force India team has the biggest diffuser and it is tough to overtake.
Mark, Nico, Jenson and Felipe had nice drives. Lewis, Alonso and Vettel were classy.

Lewis had a solid working car and as others have mentioned he should have passed them anyway just like Alonso did last week at Albert Park when he spun out and dropped to the back of the field. You expect that of a top flight driver. and his car was quicker than those he passed on his way up the field. That's why I said nice drive by Lewis and I stand by that.

OTOH when you are nursing a wounded car from the beginning of the race and you pass cars with a wounded duck and slot into 7th place that in of itself eclipses anything Lewis or the Red Bulls did that day. What Alonso did was similar to what Michael pulled off in Barcelona years ago. A second place finish with only 5th gear working.

airshifter
5th April 2010, 16:12
Too many good drives to pick one myself.

When considering what we think are the strongest cars and the weaker cars it blurs it even more. This is once in a long time that IMHO not only did nobody do something stupid (donkeyish?), but most if not all drivers did a great job on track.

I would probably have to pick Alonso, but TGH, nobody knows for sure how much his problems hurt his times until the end when the engine let go. If nothing else it made his race much harder on the driver. I tend to think that with the car in order he probably would have at least ended up on the podium.

motetarip
5th April 2010, 17:21
Vettel for a flawless drive, finally winning what could well have been his 3rd victory this season.

Hamilton for carving through the field like we all expect racing to be about.

Petrov for a spirited rookie drive, and Alguersuari for showing some talent.

truefan72
5th April 2010, 17:31
Lewis had a solid working car and as others have mentioned he should have passed them anyway just like Alonso did last week at Albert Park when he spun out and dropped to the back of the field. You expect that of a top flight driver. and his car was quicker than those he passed on his way up the field. That's why I said nice drive by Lewis and I stand by that.

that being said, it is still an exceptional drive not just one born out of circumstance and a good car. Some of the cars he passed were pretty good and nothing is a given or should be expected. It was a good strategy and an exceptional performance only superseded by Alonso performing miracles with a wounded car. After all my lamenting about the stupidity of those two teams in qualy, those two drivers put up a really good show.

Rodster
5th April 2010, 17:59
that being said, it is still an exceptional drive not just one born out of circumstance and a good car. Some of the cars he passed were pretty good and nothing is a given or should be expected. It was a good strategy and an exceptional performance only superseded by Alonso performing miracles with a wounded car. After all my lamenting about the stupidity of those two teams in qualy, those two drivers put up a really good show.

Sorry but it is to be expected of Lewis because he is considered as a top tier driver on the grid. But if you think what Lewis did was exceptional then what Alonso did was off the charts.

Lewis started 20th and finished 4th with a good working car. Alonso started 19th with a broken car and without a blown engine would have finished 7th. That to me is more impressive. With Hamilton and Alonso's talent you expect them to pass cars like Alonso did in Australia when he got spun around and found himself at the back. So yes with the level of driver Alonso is I expect him to pass cars just like Lewis. But i'm more amazed when they do it in a broken car. That to me is impressive.

F1boat
6th April 2010, 08:29
without a blown engine would have finished 7th.

I am not sure that he would have overtaken JB and definitely not Felipe.

Garry Walker
6th April 2010, 08:39
Well Jenson had to pit too early because of his rear tyres and his dice with Alonso was great - both cars hobbled in some way as Jenson's tyres were much slower than those who pitted later. So mr.button killed his tyres? Was he not supposed to be the new prost?

Massa went by because of that and of course as Mclaren twitter disclosed Jenson allowed Lewis by relatively easily for the same reason and that it was his teammate.
Allowed by when? Hamilton got by Button at the start and lead him for every lap after that.

Retro Formula 1
6th April 2010, 09:52
For me it was Algerrswarii, Alguserrrri, Algerusagurrri. Sod it, Jamie then!!

Hamilton had a good race but I suppose we expect that sort of drive from him and Vettel was supreme but had the best car so again expected but it seems that Jamie has finally come of age.

bluegem280
6th April 2010, 11:38
The Renault engined cars were consistently strong in Malaysia. Performance of Kubica in these opening races earn big praise. Besides also the first point for Jamie deserves a mention too.

Robinho
6th April 2010, 12:45
Jenson let Lewis by because they are teammates?? :confused:
Lewis overtook Jenson and many others going into the first corner. Have you actually watched the onboard footage from Jenson's car?

Jenson was on the opposite side of the track because Lewis had taken the clear inside line into the first corner. Heikki and Massa were the two cars in between the Mclaren drivers and I fail to see how Jenson was in any position the let Lewis by. He had absolutely no control over the matter because he was concentrating on Massa?

Heres the start if you missed it Saint Devote but if Mclaren did indeed suggest Lewis was let by, then they need to check the data and the footage readily available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPISvTMGxws

This vid clearly shows where the Mclarens were at the start of the race and if Jenson really did calculate letting Lewis by with two cars in the way, then he's better than Prost ever was.. :p

not wanting to defend the saintly one, but i think he is referring to when Hamilton came out of the pits side by side with Jenson, although that place was always going to be Hamiltons (new soft tyres v worn hards and the inside line) Jenson did not fight him for the place, reconizing that Hamilton was going to get quicker and he was only getting slower.

wedge
6th April 2010, 13:24
Jenson did not fight him for the place, reconizing that Hamilton was going to get quicker and he was only getting slower.

Button fought back. He gave as little room to manoeuvre as possible.

Robinho
6th April 2010, 14:54
i think he would have fought somewhat harder had it been a Ferrari. i think this was the "incident" that STD was referring to.

agreed, he gave Lewis only just enough room, but it wasn't much of a fight

wedge
6th April 2010, 16:16
agreed, he gave Lewis only just enough room, but it wasn't much of a fight

Hamilton had the inside as he exited the pits. Button made the most of the situation which is to give as little room as possible.

What else was Button supposed to do? Do a Schumi and bump into the side of Hamilton?

Robinho
6th April 2010, 19:44
Hamilton had the inside as he exited the pits. Button made the most of the situation which is to give as little room as possible.

What else was Button supposed to do? Do a Schumi and bump into the side of Hamilton?

nothing - you misunderstand me. i was simply pointing out that my friend and yours, mr STD, was presumabley referring to that incident rather than the start, and an apparent message from McLaren saying that Jenson didn't fight Lewis too hard. i agree that there was nothing much more he could have done anyway

donKey jote
6th April 2010, 19:58
For me it was Algerrswarii, Alguserrrri, Algerusagurrri. Sod it, Jamie then!!.

by Jamie do you actually mean Jaime or Jaume ? :p

donKey jote
6th April 2010, 19:58
hehe STD :up: ... hope itīs not catching :p :laugh: :laugh:

Robinho
6th April 2010, 20:02

glad someone was watching ;)

Retro Formula 1
6th April 2010, 22:44
by Jamie do you actually mean Jaime or Jaume ? :p

I CAN'T WIN!! AHHHH!!!

He did drive well though young Janie...

ioan
7th April 2010, 01:27
So mr.button killed his tyres? Was he not supposed to be the new prost?

;)

Saint Devote
7th April 2010, 01:55
nothing - you misunderstand me. i was simply pointing out that my friend and yours, mr STD, was presumabley referring to that incident rather than the start, and an apparent message from McLaren saying that Jenson didn't fight Lewis too hard. i agree that there was nothing much more he could have done anyway

Well exactly - Jenson could not "fight" Lewis and compared to the usual action by a driver in an attempt to become an obstacle to a driver behind when their tyres have gone off the peak, he was on the outside of Lewis who had exited the pits and obstructing his teammate this way made no sense - it made sense during the Prost and Senna feud. Nobody wants that,

My error was that I forgot Jenson was already slower because he had had his tyres on for many more laps. It LOOKED to me as if Lewis was pushing Jenson to the outside as a result of his exiting the pits.

Saint Devote
7th April 2010, 02:01

Exactly :D

Saint Devote
7th April 2010, 02:05

:D I may irritate but I do not itch or leave welts!

Saint Devote
7th April 2010, 02:18
So mr.button killed his tyres? Was he not supposed to be the new prost?

Allowed by when? Hamilton got by Button at the start and lead him for every lap after that.

Unless you really have no clue how the control tyres are versus boutique tyres of the Prost era, I have to presume you are merely trying to "put a stick about".

You watched the race? On your second point, didnt you see what happened?

Jenson went for the outside of the corner at the start which turned out to be the wrong place to be so he had to fall back and was stuck behind Alonso.

He had no grip on the rear tyres from the off and was losing time so went for broke and made his too early pit stop.

I might add that in Australia, Schumacher had the same problem. It produces understeer which is not ideal to say the least.

Just because - for whatever pre-existing psychological resson - you resent Jenson Button does not mean you should destroy any shred of credibility you have by attacking him regardless.

It is my decision in future, due to the nature of your anti-Jenson mission and the trolls that cheer you on in the matter, not to respond at all.

I am sure that will make you happy because now you may rant about Jenson to your soul's desire.

airshifter
7th April 2010, 20:56
My error was that I forgot Jenson was already slower because he had had his tyres on for many more laps. It LOOKED to me as if Lewis was pushing Jenson to the outside as a result of his exiting the pits.

So you thought Lewis was a dirty driver pushing Jenson to the outside earlier, but now it's ok? How is that any different that those that thought Jenson had no chance at the racing line anyway?

As for the start, you were critical of Lewis for not following Massa through in the season opener, but apparently when Jenson doesn't come out on top there is a valid excuse as to why he got out-raced.

Simply another Lewis detractor, vented your deep rooted resentment of the fact that he's a good driver! :laugh:

Lewis had the line, and had Jenson tried to take it could have easily pushed him wide and had the better line for the second turn. Very few drivers would have tried to force that issue unless they were on lap old tires, much less tires with quite a few laps on them.

Garry Walker
8th April 2010, 12:57
Unless you really have no clue how the control tyres are versus boutique tyres of the Prost era, I have to presume you are merely trying to "put a stick about".

You watched the race? On your second point, didnt you see what happened?

Jenson went for the outside of the corner at the start which turned out to be the wrong place to be so he had to fall back and was stuck behind Alonso.

He had no grip on the rear tyres from the off and was losing time so went for broke and made his too early pit stop.

I might add that in Australia, Schumacher had the same problem. It produces understeer which is not ideal to say the least.

Just because - for whatever pre-existing psychological resson - you resent Jenson Button does not mean you should destroy any shred of credibility you have by attacking him regardless.

It is my decision in future, due to the nature of your anti-Jenson mission and the trolls that cheer you on in the matter, not to respond at all.

I am sure that will make you happy because now you may rant about Jenson to your soul's desire.

http://trololololololololololo.com/