PDA

View Full Version : Australian GP to be earlier next year

christophulus
3rd April 2010, 14:43
The start time of the 2011 Australian Grand Prix is set to be brought forward, AUTOSPORT has learned, after FIA light tests at last week's race deemed it to be too dark.

Drivers had complained vociferously in Melbourne that the 5pm start time meant conditions were not bright enough in the closing stages of the race.

The FIA duly conducted light tests of the event and its findings showed that the brightness was below the minimum that is demanded for night race conditions.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82675

Fingers crossed they sort out Malaysia while they're at it..

Alfa Fan
3rd April 2010, 14:54
The GP started at 5pm there time which was 7am ours right? Would and 11am start in Australia with 1am start here not be a far better compromise?

steveaki13
3rd April 2010, 15:17
I think they need to stop changing start times to favour of European audiences.
Its meant to be for the Australian fans. Likewise with alot of other Asian races.
If they hold races in the far east, then hold them at local time, or else hold more races in europe.

Just my opinion

TMorel
3rd April 2010, 17:11
I actually enjoyed getting up early for the races and held parties with guests arriving in the middle of the night - great times :) so I'd be more than happy to have them back !

ioan
3rd April 2010, 17:46

Subscribed.

I prefer to wake up earlier and have a free Sunday instead of losing the whole morning.
I never understood Bernie's idea about having all the races right in the middle of the day for Europeans, does he really believe that people rather watch F1 at 2PM instead of in the evening or in the morning and than take advantage of great weather to go out?

POS_Maggott
3rd April 2010, 20:07
The entire time that I've been a fan of F1, I've had to wake up at 7:30am to catch the start of the races. I say cater to the home crowd, Australia went green around 2am here, and Malaysia is starting right around 4am, it was a lot easier to watch a race when it started 11pm-1am.

V12
3rd April 2010, 20:44
GREAT NEWS :D :D

Been moaning about this for a couple of years - how on earth they think waking up at 6am on a Sunday morning is easier than staying awake on a Saturday night till 2am/3am/4am is beyond me.

I never bought the "for European audiences" crap either. Bernie has proven time and time again that the common European F1 fan is pretty much bottom of his priorities.

truefan72
3rd April 2010, 21:10
Its meant to be for the Australian fans. Likewise with alot of other Asian races.
If they hold races in the far east, then hold them at local time, or else hold more races in europe.

Just my opinion

:up:

Sonic
3rd April 2010, 21:26

Just my opinion

very true.

steveaki13
3rd April 2010, 21:43
I also think rather than every new race being in Asia the F1 circus should try and spread more evenly.

I think the main European races should remain but how about having at least one race in Africa, maybe South Africa.

As well as a couple more American Races.

USA
Mexico
Argentina

I feel a World Championship with
1 race in Australia/Oceania
2 in North American
3 in Latin America
1 in Africa
2or3 in Asia
and the reast in Europe

for example would be fairer and entertaining.

V12
3rd April 2010, 21:59
I definitely agree there needs to be one more round in South America (Argentina most probably), North America (i.e. the US), and an African race would be good, South Africa would be the most obvious here. I get the feeling that the core events (i.e. Europe, Japan and Australia) are the only thing stopping F1 from becoming an entirely Middle Eastern/Asian-based championship.

And speaking of core traditional events, it's absolutely criminal there is no French GP, they invented the damn sport for god's sake.

ozrevhead
3rd April 2010, 22:50
Problem is Asia and the Middle East is where the $$$$$$ are and thats where the FIA will go to - they give f-all about the fans because they know that people will still turn up regardless.........there will never be emtpy stands and no one watching because the fans protested in the loudest way possible

steveaki13
3rd April 2010, 23:28
And speaking of core traditional events, it's absolutely criminal there is no French GP, they invented the damn sport for god's sake.

:up:

BeansBeansBeans
3rd April 2010, 23:31
This news is welcome. I used to enjoy getting up in the middle of night for the Australian GP (both qualifying and the race) particularly when it was the first of the season.