PDA

View Full Version : Massa: Ferrari have the advantage

fly_ac
1st March 2007, 14:47
A bullish Felipe Massa is convinced Ferrari are a step ahead of their rivals as the final major test before the Australian Grand Prix draws to a close.

Ferrari have dominated this week's running at Sakhir, with both their single lap pace and long run form, and Massa is confident about his Maranello team's preparations for the 2007 campaign.

When asked if he felt that Ferrari were ahead of McLaren and BMW-Sauber, he said: "For sure. It's difficult to speak for them but at the moment it looks like we are quite strong with a good package. Hopefully it will stay like this.

"We've made a big step forward in terms of set up work and aerodynamics. I think if you compare the first day in Bahrain and the end of the second week we've done a very good job and improved the car a lot - especially with the new aerodynamic package, which we understand how to work better on the tyres.

"I have to say I'm really happy and optimistic. I'm ready for the first race."

Massa believes that the biggest challenge to himself and Kimi Raikkonen will come from McLaren's Fernando Alonso.

"He won the last two championships and he is a very good driver who did a good performance in the last two years," he explained. "So he will be looked at by everybody.

"At Ferrari, we have two strong drivers who will be fighting at the front. But maybe there are other surprises."

Speaking about how he feels he will perform in 2007, Massa said he was optimistic about building on the form that helped him finish third in the drivers' championship last season.

"I expect to make another step forward compared to last year - especially in the second part of last year, which was a great part of the championship for me," he said.

"I'm really enthusiastic and trying to put everything together to be quick and enthusiastic, to be lucky and to have a great team working with me as well. I'm trying to put everything together to be successful."

But Massa has drawn short of making any firm predictions about whether he will be able to win the world championship.

"I'm not the kind of guy who likes to say, 'Yeah I'm gonna win.' I'm not like that. I'm going to keep working hard like I was always doing.

"In the end, winning the championship doesn't just mean being quick and being strong, you need to put everything together - especially luck, consistency, and speed. I'm going to try everything together and if I win I will be the happiest guy in the world."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/57009

Can't wait for the first race......... :cool:

futuretiger9
1st March 2007, 22:43
Massa is certainly being remarkably effusive about the new car's performance, something which you don't often hear from F1 drivers. Perhaps Felipe realises how much development is still in the pipeline...

ioan
1st March 2007, 23:19
Massa is certainly being remarkably effusive about the new car's performance, something which you don't often hear from F1 drivers. Perhaps Felipe realises how much development is still in the pipeline...

Or maybe it is true that he did his best time with a really heavy car, that's reason for being happy at this stage.

tintop
2nd March 2007, 04:36
OZ

Hopefully, he won't be as enthusiastic as in last year's opener..whoops

ArrowsFA1
2nd March 2007, 08:30
Or maybe it is true that he did his best time with a really heavy car, that's reason for being happy at this stage.
Could be :cool: However, the thing with testing is the teams might be able to guesstimate what the opposition is doing, but they don't know for sure.

We'll see if Felipe's optimism is deserved on the 18th March.

Not long to wait :s mokin:

ArrowsFA1
2nd March 2007, 10:47
Fernando agrees with Felipe.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/57017

pino
2nd March 2007, 10:52
I don't trust Alonso, I am sure he will be on 1st row in Australia...along with a red car ;)

sezix
2nd March 2007, 11:15
I read Lewis Hamilton in a paper was saying a similar thing. Ferrari and Mclaren are the leaders, but swinging at the front between them at certain circuits.
He said this years Mclaren is a strong package and better in all areas.
Should be a great 2007!

F1boat
2nd March 2007, 20:30
Fisi agreed with Massa as well.
""For sure, we are still behind Ferrari in particular, they looked very strong this week."

futuretiger9
3rd March 2007, 14:00
It may be a gut feeling on Massa's part, or then again he may have been studied the form and testing programmes of the other teams, and arrived at the conclusion that Ferrari have an advantage. Whichever way, we will find out in Melbourne whether he was correct.