PDA

View Full Version : Why don't cars without sponsors...

maximilian
3rd April 2010, 04:46
I always wondered about this, why don't the teams which have vast amounts of empty space on their cars take a good cause under their wing?

For example, instead of the big white spaces on the Saubers, they could sport "Prevent Child Abuse", "Don't Drink And Drive", "Support Haiti", or something similar... you get the drift.

Now, there'll be some of you hardliners who'll say that F1 cars should feature Oil, Booze and Cigarettes as sponsors as part of the macho image of the sport, but I always felt that putting on a positive message and using their empty space would result in a lot of good additional publicity for the team, and pictures of that would also give their other sponsors (if any) more exposure in the media.

I have been wondering this since back in the days when cigarette companies had to take their names off cars at certain races. While there were some fairly clever attempts at hinting at their products ("East", "Buzzin & Hornets"), most of them just kept blank, or featured the drivers' names - instead they could have used that opportunity as well, to support a positive message (for good publicity... I would even go as far as to say if a cigarette company had put "Prevent Underage Smoking" on their cars, it would have garnered them more good publicity than their regular advertising?)

Your thoughts?

RS
3rd April 2010, 06:54
One of the teams did something along these lines a few years back, but can't remember who... Jordan?

CNR
3rd April 2010, 07:11
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/formula-1/red-bull-faces-for-charity.html

Your photo could grace the bodywork of David Coulthard or Mark Webber's F1 car at Silverstone. We've reserved 5,000 spaces exclusively for Yahoo! Eurosport users to help raise $1million for charity.

gloomyDAY
3rd April 2010, 07:39
Why? Because F1 is a business and not some chump ass charity case.

Big Ben
3rd April 2010, 08:16
I totally agree with maximilian on this one. Itīs a win win situation. I like the way FC Barcelona is actually paying money to wear the Unicef logo and they donīt do it because they canīt get sponsors.

F1boat
3rd April 2010, 08:17
Good idea, max!

Big Ben
3rd April 2010, 08:22

Of course. And there are plenty of other tough guys whoīs mommies didnīt love them enough to go with this side of things. Well, itīs part of a business to build a good image an this kind of things help a lot but why would I use reason to argue with people overwhelmed by anger?

ioan
3rd April 2010, 10:19

:down:

emporer_k
3rd April 2010, 11:24
They could have a raffle for the advertising space. Where organisations that usuually couldnt afford f1 sponsorship pay a nominal amount and then one gets drawn out and their logo put on the side of the car.

RJL25
3rd April 2010, 12:12
a lot of professional sports teams around the world do this, I think Jordan in the past have done it as well, Barcelona football club is the most well known who run unicef on their front of their strips by choice, intentionally don't have a front of the **** sponsor

AJP
3rd April 2010, 13:32

Are you for real??

RMLCruzeing82
3rd April 2010, 14:01

have some heart :mad:

Copse
3rd April 2010, 16:25
Minardi ran a "Peace" campaign on their engine cover for a few races, and what happened? It was deemed too political, and cameras were apparently instructed not to show the cars. I just failed to find any pictures of it at all.

One man's good cause is apparently sometimes an insult to another one.

Better then to stay blank and make it clear to any interested sponsor that the space could be theirs, right away.

ioan
3rd April 2010, 17:44
One man's good cause is apparently sometimes an insult to another one.

Especially if the other one is the guy with the strange haircut who likes to take a walk on the grid before races.

superocean
3rd April 2010, 19:40
I've thought about this as well and the teams should consider doing this not only to be a "good team" but also as a way to cut down on Tax responsibilities for donating to charity?
The teams should also find a way to entice potential sponsors somehow using this method. Maybe put a logo of a potential sponsors favorite charity? I never understood why Honda didn't find any charity when they had their Earth livery.

Don't drink [Johnny Walker] and drive? I'm sure mclaren will love that.

Jag_Warrior
3rd April 2010, 19:48
I've thought about this as well and the teams should consider doing this not only to be a "good team" but also as a way to cut down on Tax responsibilities for donating to charity?

It's a great idea. And what I underlined occured to me too. Why not take advantage of the tax benefits? How do those laws work in the UK (where most of the teams are based)???

V12
3rd April 2010, 22:04
I might chalk up some ******* Points for this - but I was thinking why don't teams without sponsors on their rear wing endplates for instance try sticking some car numbers on there?

truefan72
4th April 2010, 01:03
Of course. And there are plenty of other tough guys whoīs mommies didnīt love them enough to go with this side of things. Well, itīs part of a business to build a good image an this kind of things help a lot but why would I use reason to argue with people overwhelmed by anger?

well said

Saint Devote
4th April 2010, 01:55
There is a sporting regulation against this? - Surtees was once asked to remove a "keep Britain in Europe" slogan. I dont recall Jordan doing anything but they used to "redo" the Benson and Hedges lettering as a result of the ban on ciagrette advertising - it affects weak minded invividuals.

F1 is a business and cannot afford to be associated with social causes in terms of its image. What is a good cause to one person is offensive to another.

And in order to attract sponsorship - many companies do not want to be involuntarily associated with social causes.

And in both the above cases there is also the political associations that are always behind social causes and this too complicates things.

But also, teams that decide they do NOT want to give free exposure have the right to and it is the height of immorality to look down upon them as a result. Individuals have the RIGHT to choose.

Leave causes where they belong, and they do not belong in a professional sport - its bad enough that the climate change loonies have the political power to affect decisions in F1, such as the possible return of the dratted KERS curse.

maximilian
4th April 2010, 02:48
I am not so sure that everything has to be always politicized, there ought to be plenty of causes that can be considered "universal" (Prevent Child Abuse, anyone?)...

Funny you should mention F1's image in connection with offensiveness, given the things that went down the past couple years (cheating, lying, spying, Nazi comments, etc.), the crowning achievement of which was Max Mosley's Spankgate. Talk about offensive! :p

Compared to that "Peace" or "Save the Rainforest" doesn't seem like SUCH a bad idea in terms of "image", does it? ;)

Jag_Warrior
4th April 2010, 03:06
I am not so sure that everything has to be always politicized, there ought to be plenty of causes that can be considered "universal" (Prevent Child Abuse, anyone?)...

Oh, I don't know. We surely wouldn't want to offend the pervs in NMBLA, would we? :rolleyes:

I'm with you on this. The teams without sponsors likely wouldn't be hurting themselves (as far as I can logically tell) by offering up some donated space to certain causes. And if they don't want to, that's fine too. No one is putting a gun to their heads. But as some teams seem to not understand much about basic marketing, their blank sidepods might just explain their circumstances... and why something like this would be over their heads.

Saint Devote
4th April 2010, 04:06

Funny you should mention F1's image in connection with offensiveness, given the things that went down the past couple years (cheating, lying, spying, Nazi comments, etc.), the crowning achievement of which was Max Mosley's Spankgate. Talk about offensive! :p

Compared to that "Peace" or "Save the Rainforest" doesn't seem like SUCH a bad idea in terms of "image", does it? ;)

How does one prevent child abuse?? Its a pointless slogan.

Child abuse in Western nations is not defined in the same way as is done in many Eastern countries - thats political and the people behind it are extremely political - just ask some of the clothing retailers in the US. I dont think any team would touch that one with a barge pole!

The F1 scandals and arguments were not emblazoned on the cars and most people watching F1 I dont consider fans - so do they care or pay attention as to whether dear old Max wants to be spanked by someone dressed as a nazi fraulein? I dont think so :D

PS: at least he wanted to be spanked by women :eek:

PEACE as a slogan? I think anyone coming from the part of the world I do or Northern Ireland can not think of something MORE combustible. Personally if I had to choose, I go for one of the F1 "gates" :vader:

maximilian
4th April 2010, 04:11
Personally if I had to choose, I go for one of the F1 "gates" :vader:
I think the Darth Vader smiley speaks for itself :D
How about "Join me, and toghether we will rule the Universe" as a slogan on the Sauber? :)

Tumbo
4th April 2010, 06:13
Well one that definitely has run in recent yrs has been Save the Children and Williams - 1994 saw the logo at the entry of the front suspension, 2006 they ran it on the sidepods in Japan...i guess like everything this is a business and we can talk about heart and the like but really unless we are running a team ourselves then really we are talking about propping up a worthy cause w/ someone else's dollars.

turismo6
4th April 2010, 07:15
In 2004 Jordan had a different symbol on their airbox cover for each race. Some charitable causes some not.

In Melbourne they had "Peace" and a image of a dove.
Other symbols include "Save the Children" , China "04- 04-04",

[img\] http://www.fountainphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2004/06/f12004/jordan.jpg [img]

"Save the Rainforest" - Honda 2007/2008

Dave B
4th April 2010, 08:05
How does one prevent child abuse??
Prosecute the pope for aiding and abetting? It would be a start, and we wouldn't have the race moved to BBC2! :p