PDA

View Full Version : outboard mirrors are outta here!

Sonic
1st April 2010, 10:18
So they're gone;

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82572

Does anyone know if the pillars they stand on are also banned? As I assume that would have a fairly major effect on downforce if they have to be removed as well.

Valve Bounce
1st April 2010, 10:30
I have asked this once before but forgot the arguments against.

How about one of those TV type rear view systems, with the cameras mounted on the rear of the intake and the screens positioned in front of the "windscreen" of the car and slightly to the side so that it would not intrude on the frontal vision of the driver?

Retro Formula 1
1st April 2010, 10:32
So they're gone;

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82572

Does anyone know if the pillars they stand on are also banned? As I assume that would have a fairly major effect on downforce if they have to be removed as well.

Seems sensible.

Don't see why they dont put the car in a defined Box and make it a requirement that you need to have views of specific points behind and beside the car.

SGWilko
1st April 2010, 11:01
Red Bull seem to lose out quite a bit of performance as a result....

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82576

Sonic
1st April 2010, 11:10
Red Bull seem to lose out quite a bit of performance as a result....

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82576

Ok, so that confirms the turning vanes are gone. I'd be interested to know how much pereformance would be lost; I recall when barge boards used to fall off figures of 2-5% total loss were bounced around.

Dave B
1st April 2010, 11:47
Teams shouldn't be losing any performance if they've been making their mirrors according to the spirit of the rules :p

EuroTroll
1st April 2010, 11:51
Massa doesn't have a problem with visibility but Alonso evidently does. Alonso has expressed concern over the mirrors so we have two different viewpoints from the same team.

I'm guessing Alonso is telling the truth and Massa is toeing the party line...

Rusty Spanner
1st April 2010, 11:54
Seems sensible.

Don't see why they dont put the car in a defined Box and make it a requirement that you need to have views of specific points behind and beside the car.

That is exactly how the mirrors are tested now. There is a defined area behind the car and an FIA official holds up a card with a letter or symbol on it and the driver must be able to read it. A bit like an eye test. Unfortunately the test is done whilst stationary (I don't think FIA scrutineers can run at 150mph!) so all the shaking around and vibration that happens out on track which makes things difficult to see isn't taken into account.

Norwegian Blue
1st April 2010, 13:40
Does anyone know how this will affect teams like FI, Mclaren and Mercedes who have mirrors in the traditional place but still have the vanes? And how have they been justifying having the vanes there?

christophulus
1st April 2010, 14:02
Looks like McLaren will benefit more than most, seems how their mirrors are already in the right place. Good move by the FIA, nice to see them getting rid straight away rather than leaving it til next year.

V12
1st April 2010, 14:04
Sensible decision :up: not much more for me to say than that really!

wedge
1st April 2010, 14:11
Better later than never.

Should've been mandated for a year of so ago

Retro Formula 1
1st April 2010, 15:00
Does anyone know how this will affect teams like FI, Mclaren and Mercedes who have mirrors in the traditional place but still have the vanes? And how have they been justifying having the vanes there?

Have they got vanes? Might have deflectors into the sidepod but no vanes sticking up unless I've missed them.

ioan
1st April 2010, 18:38

I believe that the pillars are in an area where the rules are less prohibitive because it's the area where the lateral crash structures are.