PDA

View Full Version : Schumacher's pit box exit.

schmenke
29th March 2010, 15:05
I noticed that team Mercedes' pit box is at the extreme end of the pit lane close to where the safety cars are parked. During his first stop Schumacher exited his pit box from the "front". With no other teams' pit box adjacent he could do this, however, it seemed he came dangerously close to the row of safety cars parked close by. At first I thought he perhaps was a tad too eager on the throttle, but I then noticed he did the same during his second(?) stop. Rosberg did not do this during his stops - he exited to from the side of the box (am I making sense? :mark: ).
Am I the only one who noticed this?

Isn't there something in the rule book about "unsafe release" from the pit box?
Also, isn't there a safer place to park those safety cars? :s

Big Ben
29th March 2010, 15:11
I noticed that team Mercedes' pit box is at the extreme end of the pit lane close to where the safety cars are parked. During his first stop Schumacher exited his pit box from the "front". With no other teams' pit box adjacent he could do this, however, it seemed he came dangerously close to the row of safety cars parked close by. At first I thought he perhaps was a tad too eager on the throttle, but I then noticed he did the same during his second(?) stop. Rosberg did not do this during his stops - he exited to from the side of the box (am I making sense? :mark: ).

I have noticed that too and I think he did it more than once. IRC Rosberg didn't take the shortcut.

Sonic
29th March 2010, 15:22
I'm glad someone started a thread on this; As you say MS did exit very straight, which IMO was a disadvantage to him. With the pit lane damp and therefore very slippy on the blue painted area why choose to drive across it? His wheels spun frantically both times he exited like that and seemed to really bugger up his pit speed limiter release on the second stop especially.

pettersolberg29
29th March 2010, 17:26
I'm also glad it wasn't just me who noticed it. As Sonic said, the blue paint was very slippery and you could see more wheelspin for Schumi than you could for Rosberg. I suppose Michael cannot resist an attempted cheat even if it doesn't turn out successful.

F1boat
29th March 2010, 17:30
It was slippery and he made mistakes IMO.

Sonic
29th March 2010, 19:20
I'm also glad it wasn't just me who noticed it. As Sonic said, the blue paint was very slippery and you could see more wheelspin for Schumi than you could for Rosberg. I suppose Michael cannot resist an attempted cheat even if it doesn't turn out successful.

I'm nor sure we can pin the label of "cheat" on him for that. For me it says a great deal about his state of mind - old Schu would never have made such a schoolboy error. Certainly not twice.

pettersolberg29
29th March 2010, 19:54
Cheat is too strong a word I suppose - but he's looking for any advantage possible. Good on him in some ways, but bad on him in that he failed (and as you say, Sonic, he failed twice!).

Valve Bounce
29th March 2010, 22:36

First of all, I'd like to ask whether anyone was sitting in the safety cars and whether it was likely they would open the door and step out into SchM's path as he came by.

ioan
29th March 2010, 22:39
First of all, I'd like to ask whether anyone was sitting in the safety cars and whether it was likely they would open the door and step out into SchM's path as he came by.

They were probably sitting in there, and no they were not going to get out before the end of the race.

Sonic
29th March 2010, 22:40

If memory serves the safety car and medical cars are always on standby; drivers in, engines ready.

CNR
30th March 2010, 00:49
If memory serves the safety car and medical cars are always on standby; drivers in, engines ready.

they did a review of the safety car it is fitted out with a tv so the driver can watch the race on it

Sleeper
30th March 2010, 01:54
He was trying for a streighter exit to get better acceleration, whether it worked or not I dont know.

arknor
30th March 2010, 02:29
He was trying for a streighter exit to get better acceleration, whether it worked or not I dont know.

didnt seem to looked as though alot of standing water was all over the area he went through one of the times it looked as if he went a little to close to the cars for comfort. typical schumacher always trying to find an advantage though

Valve Bounce
30th March 2010, 03:52
they did a review of the safety car it is fitted out with a tv so the driver can watch the race on it

Well there you have it. SchM wanted to check out the TV to see where everybody was on the track. Can't blame the guy for that! Me? I can never resist looking at a TV when I go past one either. :p :

airshifter
30th March 2010, 04:07
Well there you have it. SchM wanted to check out the TV to see where everybody was on the track. Can't blame the guy for that! Me? I can never resist looking at a TV when I go past one either. :p :

:laugh:

Jenson commented in the post race interview that he knew fairly well what was going on from watching all the large monitors around the track. I see no reason to knock on Schumacher just because he noticed the smaller one at pit exit!

On a serious note, I did think he was rather close to the safety and medical cars on his release. I have no idea if there is any rule when it comes to the first box.

Valve Bounce
30th March 2010, 05:12
:laugh:

Jenson commented in the post race interview that he knew fairly well what was going on from watching all the large monitors around the track. I see no reason to knock on Schumacher just because he noticed the smaller one at pit exit!

On a serious note, I did think he was rather close to the safety and medical cars on his release. I have no idea if there is any rule when it comes to the first box.

I do have to confess that I missed that exit - too busy sipping on my Gotham Shiraz at the time. ;)

ArrowsFA1
30th March 2010, 08:22
I assumed he was doing it to avoid the slippy surface, but could it have been a way to avoid the pitlane speed gun?

AndyL
30th March 2010, 11:15

Hopefully they give him a DVD player as well for when the race is like Bahrain.

Azumanga Davo
30th March 2010, 11:47
I imagine he would have preferred to run straighter rather than run the risk of turning then spinning in the pitlane.

Saint Devote
30th March 2010, 12:35
Schumi's second pit stop - there was a delay because of a problem with the left front wheel changer. The rest of the crew were done and looking on.

The left front was still in its cover when the others were finished.

In both instances he had to leave the pits as quick as he could and the way he selected was the best.

The way people are criticizing Schumi - especially the Italian press who are REALLY sore about him leaving Ferrari.

And di Montezemolo's comment that Schumi's "twin" is racing, is about as tasteless as possible. If it was not for the great German driver, the Scuderia would still be STUCK with no championship since Jody's in 1979.

Everything Ferrari accomplish now, as it built on the Lauda years after some time as a comic opera, is the result of the Schumi era.

What a little ingrate.

Instead of the Italian colors on the badge they should have the GERMAN colors!!

I guess just like Mercedes ought to fly the Union Jack as well!!! After all, it IS in reality a Brawn-Ilien!

SGWilko
30th March 2010, 12:45
Schumi's second pit stop - there was a delay because of a problem with the left front wheel changer. The rest of the crew were done and looking on.

The left front was still in its cover when the others were finished.

In both instances he had to leave the pits as quick as he could and the way he selected was the best.

The way people are criticizing Schumi - especially the Italian press who are REALLY sore about him leaving Ferrari.

And di Montezemolo's comment that Schumi's "twin" is racing, is about as tasteless as possible. If it was not for the great German driver, the Scuderia would still be STUCK with no championship since Jody's in 1979.

Everything Ferrari accomplish now, as it built on the Lauda years after some time as a comic opera, is the result of the Schumi era.

What a little ingrate.

I guess just like Mercedes ought to fly the Union Jack as well!!! After all, it IS in reality a Brawn-Ilien!

Erm, Ilmore was bought by Mercedes quite a while ago, after the death of one of the founding partners.

ShiftingGears
30th March 2010, 13:15
After all, it IS in reality a Brawn-Ilien!

Ilmor.

wedge
30th March 2010, 14:26
Schumi wanted a bonus!

"Schumacher, in the Mercedes-Benz out of the pits. And here's the new Mercedes-Benz SLS safety car with gullwing doors, based on the great 300SL. Yours for under €200,000!"

Garry Walker
30th March 2010, 17:13
Ilmor.

How dare you

ioan
30th March 2010, 20:02

He didn't leave Ferrari, LdM pushed him out and Brawn and Todt were most probably told to do the same as they were overshadowing Luca.

Anyway the less said about the Italian press, and mass media in general, the better.

pino
30th March 2010, 21:37
He didn't leave Ferrari, LdM pushed him out and Brawn and Todt were most probably told to do the same as they were overshadowing Luca.

None pushed Michael out, Mercedes unlike Ferrari offered him a car and he left, that's it. And I think LdM did the right thing as both Alonso and Massa, at the moment are better drivers than Michael. Brown left because Luca prefered Domenicali as Team Principal, while Todt left because he wanted to became FIA president...

pino
30th March 2010, 21:51

What a little ingrate.

Not a single tifoso will ever forget what Michael did for Ferrari but in Italy we say " When a Pope dies, a new one arrives " Drivers are coming and going but none will ever be bigger than Ferrari...no matter what.

ioan
30th March 2010, 22:46
None pushed Michael out, Mercedes unlike Ferrari offered him a car and he left, that's it.

I was talking about 2006, when LdM decided to tell the press that MS was leaving before MS himself did make up his mind.

Saint Devote
31st March 2010, 01:14
Not a single tifoso will ever forget what Michael did for Ferrari but in Italy we say " When a Pope dies, a new one arrives " Drivers are coming and going but none will ever be bigger than Ferrari...no matter what.

There are no issues with the tifosi, but it is di Montezemolo. The same person that decided to push the German driver out in favor of Raikonnen after Schumi was beaten to the WDC in 2005 and 06 by Alonso.

Remember this caused the rift between Todt and the rest is history.

Yes drivers come and go but there were two drivers who shifted the entire team and as a result Ferrari began to win again and that was Lauda and Schumacher. The effects are enduring.

The irony is that both drivers left because of the actions of the head of Ferrari at the time.

It remains to be seen whether Alonso can galvanize the Scuderia or will he just be an excellent driver. Massa in 2010 is not where I believed he would be with Alonso as teammate - and it is a pleasant surprise to see Felipe doing so well. The season is long and I do think that Alonso is going to have to "go up a gear" - in the same way that Jenson said HE needed to after Sakhir.

Saint Devote
31st March 2010, 01:21

Anyway the less said about the Italian press, and mass media in general, the better.

I was referring to him leaving Ferrari to go to Mercedes.

This has disappointed the tifosi I reckon because Schumi said he would never leave Ferrari. At the same time he is entitled to change his mind especially as there was no drive available to him for 2010.

pino
31st March 2010, 06:09
I was talking about 2006, when LdM decided to tell the press that MS was leaving before MS himself did make up his mind.

And how can you be sure that Michael didn't tell LDM in private, he had decided to leave ? You can't know everything is happen at Ferrari...can you ?

Valve Bounce
31st March 2010, 06:17
And how can you be sure that Michael didn't tell LDM in private, he had decided to leave ? You can't know everything is happen at Ferrari...can you ?

Hang on a minute - you're talking about ioan here; of course he knows everything that happens at Ferrari. So does the Saint. EVERYTHING!!

pino
31st March 2010, 06:19
I was referring to him leaving Ferrari to go to Mercedes.

This has disappointed the tifosi I reckon because Schumi said he would never leave Ferrari. At the same time he is entitled to change his mind especially as there was no drive available to him for 2010.

So are the Team, the tifosi and the media entitle to change their mind too, and criticise Michael as much as they want, especially now that he's competing against Ferrari.

F1boat
31st March 2010, 07:13
So are the Team, the tifosi and the media entitle to change their mind too, and criticise Michael as much as they want, especially now that he's competing against Ferrari.

IMO it is ugly. Michael has done a lot for the team. I personally believe that he changed the team in a positive way, bringing Ross with him... of course Ferrari also did a lot to Michael, but I believe that Michael would have succeeded with McLaren Mercedes as well, while I don't think that Ferrari would have dominated with Hill, JV or Hakkinen for example. Maybe I am wrong, but that's how I see what happened. And IMO it is very ugly when the tifosi brand Michael as a traitor. If Ferrari wanted him, they should have offered him a seat.

Valve Bounce
31st March 2010, 07:40
When Argentina played Italy in the World Cup, Diego Maradona thought that because he had fans from his playing for Napoli, that some would love him and cheer for him. Well, they didn't when it came to the World Cup. Italians are Italians - they love Ferrari, FULL STOP.

MrJan
31st March 2010, 08:27
I imagine he would have preferred to run straighter rather than run the risk of turning then spinning in the pitlane.

That's what I assumed, far better to spin your wheels in a straight line.

Big Ben
31st March 2010, 08:40
I have no idea if it was legal or not or if he gained or lost anything from it... I just noticed it. I think he was just maybe a bit angry and said something like: "wtf,I'm in a hurry, I'm going straight"

Retro Formula 1
31st March 2010, 10:19
Blimey, you lot get upset about nothing.

Schumacher left because that was the best decision for him. He had a hugely successful time at Ferrari and their fans should remember that fondly but he's racing for another team now so it's only reasonable for them to drop him.

As for Schumacher fans getting upset at nasty Ferrari. Get over it people. This is a competitive sport and not some wishy, washy politically correct mothers meeting.

Let battle commence!

pino
31st March 2010, 10:49
IMO it is ugly. Michael has done a lot for the team. I personally believe that he changed the team in a positive way, bringing Ross with him... of course Ferrari also did a lot to Michael, but I believe that Michael would have succeeded with McLaren Mercedes as well, while I don't think that Ferrari would have dominated with Hill, JV or Hakkinen for example. Maybe I am wrong, but that's how I see what happened. And IMO it is very ugly when the tifosi brand Michael as a traitor. If Ferrari wanted him, they should have offered him a seat.

So just because Michael has done a lot for them, Ferrari should have offered him a seat until is 50 years old ? Sorry but a Team like Ferrari needs to be on top all the time, they signed Michael when he could do the difference with his skills, unfortunately he can't do that today. That's why Ferrari didn't offered him a seat, sad but that's what happens in sport an in life as well.

F1boat
31st March 2010, 11:20
So just because Michael has done a lot for them, Ferrari should have offered him a seat until is 50 years old ? Sorry but a Team like Ferrari needs to be on top all the time, they signed Michael when he could do the difference with his skills, unfortunately he can't do that today. That's why Ferrari didn't offered him a seat, sad but that's what happens in sport an in life as well.

I understand. But no need of calling him bad names either.

SGWilko
31st March 2010, 11:26
I thought Schumi had stated that one of the reasons he retired in '06 was because he felt Massa would be without a Ferrari drive.

I find this very gentlemanly and selfless sportsmanship. And if it is the case, much respect to Michael.

pino
31st March 2010, 11:33
I understand. But no need of calling him bad names either.

Sorry but who did that ?

Valve Bounce
31st March 2010, 13:40
I thought Schumi had stated that one of the reasons he retired in '06 was because he felt Massa would be without a Ferrari drive.

I find this very gentlemanly and selfless sportsmanship. And if it is the case, much respect to Michael.

I hope you've been a good boy because the Easter Bunny is coming to give you a present this Sunday. :rolleyes:

SGWilko
31st March 2010, 13:58
I hope you've been a good boy because the Easter Bunny is coming to give you a present this Sunday. :rolleyes:

It has to be Dairy Milk please, none of that Nestle muck.....

schmenke
31st March 2010, 14:58
So, what do the last few posts have to do with Schumacher's pit box exit? :s

Big Ben
31st March 2010, 15:28

They are trying to establish a pattern of the way MS generally exits from places or situations.

pino
31st March 2010, 17:25

Sorry it's my fault, I shouldn't have replied to ioan/Saint Devote. Please guys let's go back to the topic....again sorry for that :(

Garry Walker
31st March 2010, 18:30

You are right. Luca wanted a team with italian leadership and wanted to get rid of Brawn and Todt (and Schumacher). He obviously did not understand what kind of brilliance he was dealing with. That is why I take enjoyment in all failures for Ferrari these days.

ioan
31st March 2010, 19:31
This has disappointed the tifosi I reckon because Schumi said he would never leave Ferrari.

Not me, and I am as die hard Ferrari fan as there is.

ioan
31st March 2010, 19:32

Now now, don't get to hot under the collar.

Anyway how do you know he did?! :p :

evooo
1st April 2010, 02:59
Teams at either end would technically have some sort of minor advantage in that they can either pit in or out in a straight line. Braking/Accel in a straight line is always easier and LESS mistakes should be made as a consequence.