PDA

View Full Version : Bernard on the new chassis....2012? maybe not

SarahFan
28th March 2010, 15:53
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100328/SPORTS0107/3280332/1052/SPORTS01/Deciding-factor-on-new-car-Can-teams-afford-them

nigelred5
28th March 2010, 20:38
I can understand Roger's point on changing the engine first and then phasing in the new chassis, but I have to disagree with this statement;

"The cars in NASCAR are all the same. I don't think it changed (fan interest) when they went from the old car to the (new one)."

I can't say I've heard one fan( or driver for that matter) say they like the racing in NASCAR with the COT. Attendance and viewers are down since introduction of the COT. The racing hasn't been as good, and NASCAR has made constant changes trying to essentially undo the damage they have done since going to the COT. I don't exactly consider it a resounding arguement for yet another form of spec racing

Mark in Oshawa
28th March 2010, 22:38
I can understand Roger's point on changing the engine first and then phasing in the new chassis, but I have to disagree with this statement;

"The cars in NASCAR are all the same. I don't think it changed (fan interest) when they went from the old car to the (new one)."

I can't say I've heard one fan( or driver for that matter) say they like the racing in NASCAR with the COT. Attendance and viewers are down since introduction of the COT. The racing hasn't been as good, and NASCAR has made constant changes trying to essentially undo the damage they have done since going to the COT. I don't exactly consider it a resounding arguement for yet another form of spec racing

I was thinking sort of the same thing except I don't think the racing with the COT is WORSE than it was with the old car, but it is perceived as worse by some. I do know the fans hate all the cars being the same.

The article however shows again a much more proactive leadership that is not afraid to admit what it doesn't know. Bernard isn't a racing guy, he is a business/marketing guy, and he is letting the racing side of the business, the team owners have some say in things. He hasn't let them loose entirely but he is investigating their side of things and learning.

The best part of the article, and it is a damning indictment in a sense, is what Ganassi said about how he likes the fact he can get a hold of Bernard, and get answers to his questions. Are we to infer Tony didn't answer questions? It was always the impression I got that Tony didn't listen to the question and filled in the space with his view of things...