PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the Race

Ranger
28th March 2010, 10:22
Button - Great call on tyres, and Prost/Stewart-esque nursing of them for 52 laps.

Alonso - 4th from being in 20th at one stage, impressive comeback even if he didn't get back past Felipe.

Kubica - Excellent, no mistakes. Great defensive driving.

Valve Bounce
28th March 2010, 10:23
Button - Great call on tyres, and Prost/Stewart-esque nursing of them for 52 laps.

Alonso - 4th from being in 20th at one stage, impressive comeback even if he didn't get back past Felipe.

Kubica - Excellent, no mistakes. Great defensive driving.

Check out the thread Bunsen celebrates a great win.

DexDexter
28th March 2010, 10:27
Button - managed to keep his tires in good shape and made a right call in the tire change

Kubica - drove without mistakes

Massa - took third after being slowish for the whole weekend including the race.

EuroTroll
28th March 2010, 10:30
Alonso.

Hawkmoon
28th March 2010, 10:31
Kubica. That Renault had no business being on the podium.

christophulus
28th March 2010, 10:36
Button and Kubica for me, although they were never really challenged. Good performance from Liuzzi too, finishing 7th in the Force India.

AndyL
28th March 2010, 10:37
Yes I think Kubica and Massa both deserve honourable mentions. Kubica's defence against Hamilton was particularly impressive and he had strong pace right to the end. Massa never looked fast at any point of the weekend but somehow hung on to a podium position by sheer tenacity.

Dave B
28th March 2010, 10:38
Button made an inspired tactical call and reaped the rewards. Kubica took an ordinary car and stuck it on the podium.

Robinho
28th March 2010, 10:41
i'd go with the Button, Kubica combo too. Alonso did well to come from the back, but it was pretty much his fault he was there to start with.

Hamilton was very very racy and drove well, was unlucky on strategy and got Webbered twice

F1boat
28th March 2010, 10:44
Jenson, fantastic drive. I have to praise Kubica as well.

steveaki13
28th March 2010, 10:47
Overall I would go for Button

But other great drives

Kubica - A fine second.
Massa -Despite a real handful of a car kept it together for 3rd.
Alonso - From 20th to 4th
Hamilton - Battled all day and many overtakes
Chandhok - Although 5 Laps down, I thought he raced well getting out of the way at all times and he and car did great job to reach the end.

ioan
28th March 2010, 10:55
Kubica for getting 2nd.
Alonso for an excellent drive under pressure.
Chandhok for finishing the race.

havk
28th March 2010, 11:11
can't decide. Button, Kubica, Alonso - one of these three, all did really great job today.

Wasted Talent
28th March 2010, 12:16
Button and Kubica

WT

VkmSpouge
28th March 2010, 13:02
My driver of the race is Jenson Button, good driving and a great call to switch to dry tyres.
Robert Kubica drove an excellent race too to take second place. Jaime Alguersuari for his scrap with Michael Schumacher and Karun Chandhok for taking Hispania to their first finish.

gofasterstripes
28th March 2010, 13:08
Kubica for his defensive driving. He really showed what you can do by simply sticking to the racing line and forcing people the long way round - no need for dramatic weaving across the road and no stupid mistakes.

Valve Bounce
28th March 2010, 13:28
My driver of the race is Jenson Button, good driving and a great call to switch to dry tyres.

It was interesting that Bunsen ran off just after his tyre change, and the commentators virtually wiped him at that point. Bunsen never panicked, got on with the job and won.

The replay from above also showed that Alonso and not Bunsen was responsible for Alonso's mishap just after the start.

AndyL
28th March 2010, 13:30
A mention for Di Grassi as well, for repassing Schumacher after Schu passed him. I bet that put a grin on his face!

scaliwag
28th March 2010, 13:37
Kudica, was by far and away the best driver today, the word excellent for Kubica's driving is an under statement.

scaliwag.

Ent
28th March 2010, 14:03
On any other day, Kubica would have it hands down for putting the Renault into 2nd place, but Button's last minute call to change tyres early, and then pushing through for the win earns him my vote for the driver of the day.

UltimateDanGTR
28th March 2010, 14:30
Button and Kubica deserve it equally IMO.

both were brillaintly smooth calm and collected, one made an excellent strategy call while the other out drove a car that shouldn't of been mixing with the top cars IMO.

N. Jones
28th March 2010, 14:43
Kubica had no place at the front and defended his position well so it has to be him.

maximilian
28th March 2010, 14:59
Once again, Vettel. No one would have beaten him today, either. Poor kid has really tough luck.

snellman
28th March 2010, 15:04
vettels situation feels like kimi in the mclaren all over again, always so fast but the car is always breaking down ;(

jeffmr2
28th March 2010, 15:09
Hamilton for his amazing passes on Button and Rosberg. I suppose rather reluctantly Button should be praised for looking after his tyres but being passed so easily by Lewis must be sitting in the back of his mind.

woody2goody
28th March 2010, 15:10
Has to be Button doesn't it.

However Kubica drove an excellent race, as did Liuzzi, Alonso from the back, and Kovalainen (again).

Honourable mention to Karun Chandhok who finished the race :)

Allyc85
28th March 2010, 15:13

However Kubica drove an excellent race, as did Liuzzi, Alonso from the back, and Kovalainen (again).

Honourable mention to Karun Chandhok who finished the race :)

Spot on :)

ioan
28th March 2010, 15:59
It was interesting that Bunsen ran off just after his tyre change, and the commentators virtually wiped him at that point. Bunsen never panicked, got on with the job and won.

You forgot about him being way behind Vettel until the RBR broke and that he didn't make any overtaking move the whole race just sat their and waited.

ioan
28th March 2010, 16:00
vettels situation feels like kimi in the mclaren all over again, always so fast but the car is always breaking down ;(

And the common denominator is Newey.

ioan
28th March 2010, 16:01

No he doesn't have to. :D

Dave B
28th March 2010, 16:04
You forgot about him being way behind Vettel until the RBR broke and that he didn't make any overtaking move the whole race just sat their and waited.
It would have been interesting to have seen if Vettel could have nursed his tyres for 50+ laps like Button did. I strongly suspect not.

Once again Vettel's retirement robbed us of a great battle, but I don't think the end result would have been any different.

F1boat
28th March 2010, 16:11

the same guy who made the car fast. That's the way he works.

Garry Walker
28th March 2010, 16:16
It would have been interesting to have seen if Vettel could have nursed his tyres for 50+ laps like Button did. I strongly suspect not.

Once again Vettel's retirement robbed us of a great battle, but I don't think the end result would have been any different.

I think Vettel would have won with ease. Do you think Button would have passed Vettel???
Why wouldnt Vettel have nursed his tyres? Ferraris did it, kubica did it, it is not like button was the only one who did it.

Driver of the day: Kubica easily.

F1boat
28th March 2010, 16:46
Why wouldnt Vettel have nursed his tyres?

Webbo made another pit, Vettel would have likely made another one as well.

ioan
28th March 2010, 16:59

Kubica, Massa and Alonso did it too, and even Hamilton's tires were in better shape than Jenson's when a brain fart in the McLaren garage resulted in a stupid pit stop, so nothing exceptional to be honest.

ioan
28th March 2010, 17:01

Based on what? Just a reminder Vettel >>>>> Webber.

Basing an argument on nothing and claim it is a fact is all nice and rosy, but it has nothing to d o with reality.

F1boat
28th March 2010, 17:02
Kubica, Massa and Alonso did it too, and even Hamilton's tires were in better shape than Jenson's when a brain fart in the McLaren garage resulted in a stupid pit stop, so nothing exceptional to be honest.

Mercedes GP and Webber also made additional pits.

ioan
I think Vettel would have won with ease. Do you think Button would have passed Vettel???
Why wouldnt Vettel have nursed his tyres? Ferraris did it, kubica did it, it is not like button was the only one who did it.

Driver of the day: Kubica easily.

Agree on all accounts.

Garry Walker

Well, Webber had been abusing his tyres and had to fight on track, Vettel was leading and probably not going flat out.

F1boat
Just a reminder Vettel >>>>> Webber.

It is believed that Webber is kinder to his tyres. This opinion is exactly as valid as yours.

Dave B
28th March 2010, 17:03
Basing an argument on nothing and claim it is a fact is all nice and rosy, but it has nothing to d o with reality.
Thanks for the new signature :D

(Forgive the edit, it was slightly too long winded)

ioan
28th March 2010, 17:08
Mercedes GP and Webber also made additional pits.

So what? Many more didn't do it!
Heck even Lewis who is notoriously hard on his tires had his tires in better condition than Button when some McLaren idiot decided to call him in. If you don't believe me just watch the race and see for yourself. Jenson's rear tires had the visible black stripes due to graining, same for Kubica, Alonso and worse for Massa still they all pulled it off, while Lewis' tires were in a better shape but they decided to call him in without realizing that he would have to overtake teh two Ferrari's and the Renault afterwards.

When the first 4 cars did fine and Lewis only changed tires because a mistake from the McLaren strategists I fail to see how you can claim that Vettel couldn't have made it too.

ioan
28th March 2010, 17:09
Thanks for the new signature :D

(Forgive the edit, it was slightly too long winded)

Thanks, but don't expect the same from me as up to now I failed to find something half interesting in your posts.

ioan
28th March 2010, 17:12
It is believed that Webber is kinder to his tyres.

Who told you that Webber changed tires because he couldn't have finished the race on the first set?
Don't be mistaken both Lewis and Webber changed tires because their strategists thought that they would be much faster, true, and be able to pass the other cars, wrong, but not because the tires were done.

F1boat
28th March 2010, 17:12
Heck even Lewis who is notoriously hard on his tires had his tires in better condition than Button when some McLaren idiot decided to call him in.

According to Andrew Davies, Lewis would not have made it to the end and I agree with him. I also think that Vettel would have pitted again. But these details IMO are irrelevant and way off topic. If you feel better bashing other drivers, enjoy yourself.

woody2goody
28th March 2010, 17:14

No he doesn't have to. :D

:D

woody2goody
28th March 2010, 17:18
Heck even Lewis who is notoriously hard on his tires had his tires in better condition than Button when some McLaren idiot decided to call him in. If you don't believe me just watch the race and see for yourself. Jenson's rear tires had the visible black stripes due to graining, same for Kubica, Alonso and worse for Massa still they all pulled it off, while Lewis' tires were in a better shape but they decided to call him in without realizing that he would have to overtake teh two Ferrari's and the Renault afterwards.

When the first 4 cars did fine and Lewis only changed tires because a mistake from the McLaren strategists I fail to see how you can claim that Vettel couldn't have made it too.

Well the facts here are: Lewis managed to wear out two sets of tyres (you can't debate it, he said his second set were going off at the end) in the time it took Jenson to NOT wear out one.

At the time of Lewis' stop, Jenson's tyres may have had the black ring round them, but if you remember, at the end, Jenson's tyres looked the same as they did after 20 laps. He had the one tyre with visible wear on it, the rest looked fine.

In fairness, I didn't actually see Hamilton's tyres, but he must have worn them down sufficiently to warrant a stop. Button won fair and square, and even if Vettel had not pitted, Button's tyres would surely have been in better condition, allowing him to make a pass on the Red Bull, especially with the straight-line speed advantage of the McLaren.

spudrsca
28th March 2010, 17:35
Well the facts here are: Lewis managed to wear out two sets of tyres (you can't debate it, he said his second set were going off at the end) in the time it took Jenson to NOT wear out one.

At the time of Lewis' stop, Jenson's tyres may have had the black ring round them, but if you remember, at the end, Jenson's tyres looked the same as they did after 20 laps. He had the one tyre with visible wear on it, the rest looked fine.

In fairness, I didn't actually see Hamilton's tyres, but he must have worn them down sufficiently to warrant a stop. Button won fair and square, and even if Vettel had not pitted, Button's tyres would surely have been in better condition, allowing him to make a pass on the Red Bull, especially with the straight-line speed advantage of the McLaren.

Alonso said the same thing at Bahrein whe he was close to Vettel and yet when he had clean air he was doing very good laps.
Hi tires were not that bad as he would have probably overtaken Alonso if Webber didn't touch him.
Massa seems to have had problems with the tires very early and still finished the race.

If he had only one stop, he would have finished 3rd and maybe second.
Massa was no threat as he was struggling the whole race.

ioan
28th March 2010, 17:35
According to Andrew Davies, Lewis would not have made it to the end and I agree with him.

Who's Davies?
For what I know Whitmarsh said that they made a mistake when they called Lewis in.
I wonder who knows it better Davies or Whitmarsh? What do you think?

I also think that Vettel would have pitted again.

Proof needed.

woody2goody
28th March 2010, 17:38
Proof needed.

I doubt you need proof for a thought :)

Most people seem to concur with the fact that it is likely Vettel would have needed another stop.

Whethjer he would have actually come in would have depended on how close Button was to him, and if Seb thought he could keep Jenson behind him.

ioan
28th March 2010, 17:39

The first set of tires used by Lewis were in better shape than Button's at the moment of his 2nd stop, according to someone who knows more than me and you and is called Alexander Wurz.

So Whitmarsh said they made a mistake when they called Lewis in but you know better.
According to what we saw Lewis tires weren't graining as bad as Button's so the theory about Lewsi wearing out 2 sets of tires while Button was going to drive another race distance on the first one is a bit flawed.

It was also mentioned before the start of the season that Lewis was much better than Jenson at keeping his tires alive, and before you ask it was the Bridgestone motorsport director who said it and the article is available on autosport.

ioan
28th March 2010, 17:40
I doubt you need proof for a thought :)

Most people seem to concur with the fact that it is likely Vettel would have needed another stop.

Whethjer he would have actually come in would have depended on how close Button was to him, and if Seb thought he could keep Jenson behind him.

Most people being F1boat, Dave and you. Sorry but that's way to little to be called most people, and the level of knowledge is much under insufficient.

ioan
28th March 2010, 17:42
Alonso said the same thing at Bahrein whe he was close to Vettel and yet when he had clean air he was doing very good laps.
Hi tires were not that bad as he would have probably overtaken Alonso if Webber didn't touch him.
Massa seems to have had problems with the tires very early and still finished the race.

If he had only one stop, he would have finished 3rd and maybe second.
Massa was no threat as he was struggling the whole race.

Exactly, Massa had terrible problems with the rear axle stability and the worst graining on the whole field was on his rear tires, still he finished the race on one set of softs.

But then, this means nothing for those who KNOW that Vettel would have needed 2 sets! :)

K-Pu
28th March 2010, 17:47
The driver of the day is Kubica, no doubt about it.
In second place I´d put Alonso, also without a doubt.

And a special mention for Chandhok, or should I say Chandokan?

truefan72
28th March 2010, 17:47
driver of the race is kubica

snellman
28th March 2010, 17:54
yeah what's up with that :D

woody2goody
28th March 2010, 18:01
Most people being F1boat, Dave and you. Sorry but that's way to little to be called most people, and the level of knowledge is much under insufficient.

Well I don't think that is 'way too little', especially considering that you usually think your opinion on it's own is sufficient for said opinion to then become a stone dead fact. I however, always try to be fair and objective. I have lost count of the times I have actually agreed with you. You make some good points but then you go off on one about the smallest things, which p*sses people off.

But there you go, back on topic:

Why, if his tyres were in better shape, did Lewis not use his brain, ignore his team's orders and stay out then? Jenson made his own call, and I think a former World Champion who has won several Grands Prix, should have the responsibility to make a decision on his own, especially when the race strategy doesn't involve pitting for fuel.

I like Hamilton, but I believe he was whining about something that he could have prevented. In any case, he almost certainly wouldn't have beaten Button, because he would have pushed so hard getting to Jenson, that he would have had A) not enough time, and B) not enough life in the tyres to get a move done.

It's likely that at the end of the race, Button and Hamilton's tyres were in similar condition, as Lewis mentioned that his rubber went off on lap 52 as St. Devote said.

ioan
28th March 2010, 18:10
Well I don't think that is 'way too little', especially considering that you usually think your opinion on it's own is sufficient for said opinion to then become a stone dead fact.

I allways try to provide facts and a logical explanation.
That's why I don't accept suppositions and allegations born out of the need to support the argument.

F1boat
28th March 2010, 18:19
Well I don't think that is 'way too little', especially considering that you usually think your opinion on it's own is sufficient for said opinion to then become a stone dead fact. I however, always try to be fair and objective. I have lost count of the times I have actually agreed with you. You make some good points but then you go off on one about the smallest things, which p*sses people off.

Why, if his tyres were in better shape, did Lewis not use his brain, ignore his team's orders and stay out then? Jenson made his own call, and I think a former World Champion who has won several Grands Prix, should have the responsibility to make a decision on his own, especially when the race strategy doesn't involve pitting for fuel.

I like Hamilton, but I believe he was whining about something that he could have prevented. In any case, he almost certainly wouldn't have beaten Button, because he would have pushed so hard getting to Jenson, that he would have had A) not enough time, and B) not enough life in the tyres to get a move done.

It's likely that at the end of the race, Button and Hamilton's tyres were in similar condition, as Lewis mentioned that his rubber went off on lap 52 as St. Devote said.

I agree. In my opinion it is very important even in an Internet forum to remain gentleman and well mannered, but maybe I am bit old fashioned. Also many things are subjective and it is rude to present them as gospel.

spudrsca
28th March 2010, 18:20

Come on. Alonso had the same problem behind Vettel at Bahrein when pushing hard and trying to overtake Vettel and when he was not behind he was doing great laps.
How do you explain that he would have overtaken Alonso 3 laps later with tires badly damaged.

Every drivers is complaining that when they are close behind a car they are losing grips on the tires.

woody2goody
28th March 2010, 18:20
I allways try to provide facts and a logical explanation.
That's why I don't accept suppositions and allegations born out of the need to support the argument.

There's nothing wrong with that, but you're too quick to dismiss others unless you have 'proof'. I'll support any argument that i think is right, and you know I do not go looking for a slanging match with anyone.

Anyway, I think we should agree to disagree on this one :D

ioan
28th March 2010, 18:22
There's nothing wrong with that, but you're too quick to dismiss others unless you have 'proof'. I'll support any argument that i think is right, and you know I do not go looking for a slanging match with anyone.

Anyway, I think we should agree to disagree on this one :D

Fair enough. :)

Robinho
28th March 2010, 18:25
The first set of tires used by Lewis were in better shape than Button's at the moment of his 2nd stop, according to someone who knows more than me and you and is called Alexander Wurz.

So Whitmarsh said they made a mistake when they called Lewis in but you know better.
According to what we saw Lewis tires weren't graining as bad as Button's so the theory about Lewsi wearing out 2 sets of tires while Button was going to drive another race distance on the first one is a bit flawed.

It was also mentioned before the start of the season that Lewis was much better than Jenson at keeping his tires alive, and before you ask it was the Bridgestone motorsport director who said it and the article is available on autosport.

agreed it was a mistake by both Mclaren and Red Bull, as it wasn't as easy for the faster cars to pass as they though when they pitted, and i also think they thought that the others may be forced to pit by running harder than they would have liked, or there tyres would have got much worse, when in fact they stabilised pretty well, albeit slower they weren't getting considerabley worse.

however - basing your theory that Lewis' tyres were in better shape than Jenson's at the point of Lewis 2nd stop is complete supposition. the tyres went through a couple of graining stages through the races and recovered again, there may have been a clear line on Jenson's tyres at the time, but that doesn't make them more worn - equally they could have been less worn, Lewis could have already been through that graining stage by that point and further through the tyre wear. the only way we'd know is to cmpare the tyres off the cars at the same point, which is as you know impossible as Jenson ran them to the end of the race (for large parts of which not showing significant graining)

Lewis and Webber undoubtedly used their tyres harder as they found themselves in traffic and were running more agressively before and after their stops, whereas Jenson had clear air for long periods, which also will have made it easier on his tyres.

i do think Lewis, Webber or anyone else could have managed the tyres for the length of the race, but even when the ferraris and Kubica were "managing" them the same as Jenson, Jenson was still pulling out up to 1 sec a lap on them and setting personal bests right up until the last few laps.

i agree, i don't think Vettel would have had any trouble, he was comfortable and in a good rhythm up front, not being agreesive and trying to pull of overtakes, and he was in clear air, his tyres would have likely been just fine, even if Jenson is gentle on the tyres i don't think it would have been enough for him to pass Vettel, although i think he might well have closed on him towards the end

woody2goody
28th March 2010, 19:05
agreed it was a mistake by both Mclaren and Red Bull, as it wasn't as easy for the faster cars to pass as they though when they pitted, and i also think they thought that the others may be forced to pit by running harder than they would have liked, or there tyres would have got much worse, when in fact they stabilised pretty well, albeit slower they weren't getting considerabley worse.

however - basing your theory that Lewis' tyres were in better shape than Jenson's at the point of Lewis 2nd stop is complete supposition. the tyres went through a couple of graining stages through the races and recovered again, there may have been a clear line on Jenson's tyres at the time, but that doesn't make them more worn - equally they could have been less worn, Lewis could have already been through that graining stage by that point and further through the tyre wear. the only way we'd know is to cmpare the tyres off the cars at the same point, which is as you know impossible as Jenson ran them to the end of the race (for large parts of which not showing significant graining)

Lewis and Webber undoubtedly used their tyres harder as they found themselves in traffic and were running more agressively before and after their stops, whereas Jenson had clear air for long periods, which also will have made it easier on his tyres.

i do think Lewis, Webber or anyone else could have managed the tyres for the length of the race, but even when the ferraris and Kubica were "managing" them the same as Jenson, Jenson was still pulling out up to 1 sec a lap on them and setting personal bests right up until the last few laps.

i agree, i don't think Vettel would have had any trouble, he was comfortable and in a good rhythm up front, not being agreesive and trying to pull of overtakes, and he was in clear air, his tyres would have likely been just fine, even if Jenson is gentle on the tyres i don't think it would have been enough for him to pass Vettel, although i think he might well have closed on him towards the end

Spot on. I was trying to describe how Lewis may have been wearing his tyres out, and being 'past the graining phase' is just what I was wanting to say :)

PSfan
28th March 2010, 19:08
Button.. Driver of the race?!?! my god some of you people are just funny :p

Of course normally I would give any race winner consideration for driver of the race, but thinking about it, This race still showed how much better Hamilton is over Button, and thats just sad. The best is this misconception that Button conserved his tires so well... Um he was complaining rather early about the inters (which was one factor in his gamble to switch to slicks when he did... Other factor, he was blown away by Hamilton...) Had Hamilton been able to get by Kubica as easy as he got by Button earlier in the race I doubt Button wouldn't have looked as good...

And Vettel would have needed another set of tires?!?! Those Red Bulls where very kind to their inters Vettel wouldn't have needed new tires, and Button didn't look interested in catching him either so Vettel wouldn't have needed to push his tires...

So my drivers of the race: Kubica for finishing 2nd and Alonso for making an impressive run from the back...

woody2goody
28th March 2010, 19:19
Button.. Driver of the race?!?! my god some of you people are just funny :p

Of course normally I would give any race winner consideration for driver of the race, but thinking about it, This race still showed how much better Hamilton is over Button, and thats just sad. The best is this misconception that Button conserved his tires so well... Um he was complaining rather early about the inters (which was one factor in his gamble to switch to slicks when he did... Other factor, he was blown away by Hamilton...) Had Hamilton been able to get by Kubica as easy as he got by Button earlier in the race I doubt Button wouldn't have looked as good...

And Vettel would have needed another set of tires?!?! Those Red Bulls where very kind to their inters Vettel wouldn't have needed new tires, and Button didn't look interested in catching him either so Vettel wouldn't have needed to push his tires...

So my drivers of the race: Kubica for finishing 2nd and Alonso for making an impressive run from the back...

Was Jenson trying to push the tyres as hard as Hamilton? No.

Was Lewis quicker than him for nearly the whole race? Yes.

Did Jenson win the race and Hamilton finished 6th in the same car? Oh yes.

The facts are that Hamilton was never anywhere near winning the race, while Jenson led for over half of it. And considering Hamilton overtook Button, as well, for Jenson to finish 5 places higher than him does question a lot of your points.

The facts are, if it had been Vettel winning the race in this manner, or Alonso, or nearly anyone else for that matter, most of Button's detractors would have been calling it a masterclass in strategic driving.

However it's sad that someone who's won a world title last year, and destroyed the opposition today is being so widely derided. Because on this day, Jenson Button was better than anybody else, and certain people cannot take it.

by the way, before anybody questions me, I would be making the same statements if any of the other drivers had been in Jenson's position. It's widely accepted that Lewis has more natural talent, but that doesn't mean he's smarter, and today displayed that perfectly.

ioan
28th March 2010, 19:20

I think it was only .5 seconds/ lap and it was probably due to the Lada driver holding up everyone with a good defensive drive.

ioan
28th March 2010, 19:23
The best is this misconception that Button conserved his tires so well...

Especially when the Bridgestone motorsport guy is on the record stating that Lewis conserves his tires better than Button. But what does this Bridgestone guy know what an armchair couldn't tell him without the need to turn a wheel (or a tire!)?

woody2goody
28th March 2010, 19:25
Especially when the Bridgestone motorsport guy is on the record stating that Lewis conserves his tires better than Button. But what does this Bridgestone guy know what an armchair couldn't tell him without the need to turn a wheel (or a tire!)?

Ha ha ha that's possibly the funniest thing I've heard this weekend.

However, if you can provide a source then I'll gladly grovel and apologise to you. I would also be insanely surprised.

PSfan
28th March 2010, 19:54
The facts are that Hamilton was never anywhere near winning the race, while Jenson led for over half of it. And considering Hamilton overtook Button, as well, for Jenson to finish 5 places higher than him does question a lot of your points.

Fact?... wrong since Hamilton passed the eventual race winner rather early in the race, that implies that he was in fact in a position to win the race...

The facts are, if it had been Vettel winning the race in this manner, or Alonso, or nearly anyone else for that matter, most of Button's detractors would have been calling it a masterclass in strategic driving.

Facts... No, your opinion... Had Mark Webber outperformed Vettel early in a race, and Vettel won the race due to a tire gamble, I would hold the same opinion

However it's sad that someone who's won a world title last year, and destroyed the opposition today is being so widely derided. Because on this day, Jenson Button was better than anybody else, and certain people cannot take it.

Button once again looked average... was embarrased by his team-mate early on, wasn't in a position to pressure Vettel, and thanks to Kubica was never pressured himself... Once again despite a win, Button still looked very mediocre!

ioan
28th March 2010, 19:55

However, if you can provide a source then I'll gladly grovel and apologise to you. I would also be insanely surprised.

It was in Autosport's printed version.
Still I'll see if I find a link as I remember that it was posted in here too.

Mia 01
28th March 2010, 22:02
Robert kubica!!

Rest of em did what I expected from them moore or less.

DazzlaF1
28th March 2010, 22:07
My top 5 for the Australian GP

1. ROBERT KUBICA: Brilliant drive, he got that Renault into a position where it sould'nt have been, a fanstastic, classy performance.

2. JENSON BUTTON: The king of tyre management, a near 50 lap stint on the softer rubber helping him to win

3. LEWIS HAMILTON: "One of the drives of my life" he said, coming through from way behind not once but TWICE, deserved better.

4. KARUN CHANDHOK: Yes he was lapped 5 times and yes his fastest laps were nearly 7 seconds off the pace, but he still finished the race also achieving the car's longest trouble-free run (54 laps), well done to him.

5. JAIME ALGUERSUARI: Sure he only finished 11th but gave an embarrassed Schumacher a run for his money for most of the race.

wedge
28th March 2010, 22:50
Button was driver of the the day.

It was a great drive, one of his best if not thee best drive/'win'

Other top drives were Kubica and Massa for riding rodeo all day.

52Paddy
29th March 2010, 03:33
Vettel for the opening half until his brakes failed. Button for commanding the lead and making a good strategy. Kubica for solid, defensive driving under pressure. Alonso for his comeback. Hamilton for pulling off some brave over-taking maneuvers. And Chandhok for finishing the race in a HRT car.

Hard to pick one. :cheese:

airshifter
29th March 2010, 05:21
1. Vettel - car failure ruined his day again, but it appeared nobody was going to do much to challenge him

2. Kubica - to put that Renault in 2nd was great driving and staying out of all the troubles

3. Button - for taking the win after rolling the dice when his balance was off with the intermediates

Valve Bounce
29th March 2010, 06:21
1. Vettel - car failure ruined his day again, but it appeared nobody was going to do much to challenge him

2. Kubica - to put that Renault in 2nd was great driving and staying out of all the troubles

3. Button - for taking the win after rolling the dice when his balance was off with the intermediates

I don't believe the story about Bunsen's tyres going off.
I reckon he logged onto our forum and checked the weather map I had posted in the AGP thread, and decided that there was no more rain. So he got in first to change to slicks. ;)

Storm
29th March 2010, 06:56
Vettel and Kubica were excellent (until Vettel's brakes gave way - if his car holds up he is going to be very difficult to beat in the next few races too), Button's tyre gamble paid off and he drove well too.

But for going from back of the pack at Turn 1 to P4 at the end of the race I pick Alonso.

Also a special mention to my countryman Karun Chandhok for finishing the race (of course he was slow) but he has had no running at Bahrain and no winter testing so lets cut him some slack. He kept out of the way and got some miles under his belt. Well done.

If only I could say the same thing for the tv race directors (hardly saw him or any of the midpack guys or even the accident at the start) and the poor race commentary (admittedly a confusing start/continuous action/pit stops)

Dzeidzei
29th March 2010, 07:08
Vettel and Kubica were excellent (until Vettel's brakes gave way - if his car holds up he is going to be very difficult to beat in the next few races too), Button's tyre gamble paid off and he drove well too.

But for going from back of the pack at Turn 1 to P4 at the end of the race I pick Alonso.

I´ll go for Kubica and Jenson. Kubica clearly THE driver of the race. Naming Alonso takes a lot of imagination as dropping to the back was his own fault. His charge through was okay but nothing spectacular.

Big Ben
29th March 2010, 08:23
Button, Kubica and Alonso.

jens
29th March 2010, 11:44
I've talked about Button and Kubica in other threads.

Well, Alonso impressed me as well. A good intelligent drive from the back of the field and in the end his defence against Hamilton reminded me Imola '05 against Schumacher in a car, which was 2 secs per lap slower.

It's also work noting that both Liuzzi and Barrichello have been capable of delivering minor points in the two races so far. Liuzzi has some trouble in qualifyings, but in races his pace is at least decent and he really seems to be driving maturely, while during the STR days he looked more crazy and error-prone. Barrichello is currently owning his GP2 champion team-mate and it looks like that he is going to stay in F1 for more years if he only wants to. :)

Hard to rate the guys in new teams, because they really don't have anyone to race against, just the need to get to the finish-line somehow.

Garry Walker
29th March 2010, 12:29

Well, get ready to apologize and grovel then, because as ioan said, that was written in autosport.

tintop
29th March 2010, 16:52
Kubica Bunson and the bratty one

Retro Formula 1
29th March 2010, 17:29
For me it has to be Jenson. 2nd time out in a new car and produces the results. Very intelligent race and inspired call to change tyres. If he had of got it wrong, I assume he would have been labelled the Donkey.

Langdale Forest
29th March 2010, 20:57
Jenson Button. :)

Sleeper
30th March 2010, 03:14

The thing about that comment from Hamashima is that it was made before the last test at Barcelona, after the teams had spent the winter teting in near freezing conditions and mostly in the rain.

It was entirely true, but McLaren brought a big update at Barcelona (as did almost every team) and near freezing is definitely not the conditions we will see in a race this year. Two factors that will have a huge effect on tyre performance/wear.

wmcot
30th March 2010, 07:32
I have to go with Kubica - a solid drive all day. He earned his podium. Runner up to Button for making a gutsy call to go to slicks - add in a bit of luck. If he'd gone off at a different location and ended up in the gravel, we'd be calling him the donkey.

555-04Q2
30th March 2010, 11:24
Button by a mile.

Garry Walker
30th March 2010, 17:18
Well, get ready to apologize and grovel then, because as ioan said, that was written in autosport.

Still waiting :laugh:

gloomyDAY
30th March 2010, 17:28
It was in Autosport's printed version.
Still I'll see if I find a link as I remember that it was posted in here too.Yes, it's somewhere in the Bahrain thread.

I think I do understand Jenson's style of driving better than Bridgestone, Yes, and I refer you to my comment above.I remember that article well because of St. D's quote.

Now, hit that little blue arrow next to St. D's name and search the Bahrain thread for the information regarding Bridgestone and the misinformation, which caused the majority of us to laugh in pity of others.

ioan
30th March 2010, 19:58
The thing about that comment from Hamashima is that it was made before the last test at Barcelona, after the teams had spent the winter teting in near freezing conditions and mostly in the rain.

It was entirely true, but McLaren brought a big update at Barcelona (as did almost every team) and near freezing is definitely not the conditions we will see in a race this year. Two factors that will have a huge effect on tyre performance/wear.

Sure the conditions might have an influence, but then again both drivers stand to gain from better condition not just Button.

ioan
30th March 2010, 19:59

Me too! :D ;)

racepode1
31st March 2010, 01:53
The best driver far away was Kubica.

Rodster
31st March 2010, 03:15
Alonso for me from the back of the field to finish 4th, nice drive. Then Button, Kubica. Too bad Ferrari didn't tell Massa to let Alonso thru. I would have loved to seen a showdown between two friends, Kubica and Alonso.

Mia 01
7th May 2010, 22:02
Kimi did well.

ioan
7th May 2010, 22:21
Kimi did well.

I am starting having some doubts this evening.

Garry Walker
9th May 2010, 16:03

Still waiting

ioan
9th May 2010, 18:08
Still waiting

I guess he is not coming back here. ;)

DexDexter
10th May 2010, 07:59
Mark Webber