PDA

View Full Version : Protocol question

call_me_andrew
28th March 2010, 05:25
What is the FIA's required course of action if lightning is approaching a Formula One event?

Dave B
28th March 2010, 06:21
Carry on racing until track conditions make it unsafe to do so. See Malaysia 2009 for a perfect example.

Dave B
28th March 2010, 06:22
Oh, and land the helicopter...

christophulus
28th March 2010, 06:24
And then say the whole thing is out of your control and move the start time 15 minutes earlier next year :p

Norwegian Blue
28th March 2010, 14:38
Have always thought that if Conditions mean that the medical helicopter can't be used, then all track action stops?

ioan
28th March 2010, 15:56
Have always thought that if Conditions mean that the medical helicopter can't be used, then all track action stops?

Yep that's more like what I heard too.

Dave B
28th March 2010, 16:00
History shows that they're happy to cancel practice or even qualifying, and happy to delay the start of a race. But once the action starts (and the viewing figures are up, not that I'm suggesting that's a link ;) ) it takes a lot before the race is stopped.

As I said, see Malaysia 2009 for a recent example. There was no way a medical helicopter was going anywhere in that, yet it wasn't until half the field had slid off that the red flag appeared.

Ranger
28th March 2010, 16:05
I thought it was also on the basis of the medical helicopter being able to fly, but they managed to finish the 2007 Japanese Grand Prix in low fog, so I have no idea where they draw the line.

markabilly
28th March 2010, 16:43
What is the FIA's required course of action if lightning is approaching a Formula One event?
To get somewhere safe and watch the rest of the race on TV....

K-Pu
28th March 2010, 18:29
When Bernie thinks itīs right.

Robinho
28th March 2010, 18:41
i'd imagine the ability for the medical helicopter to fly would affect the race, but also would depend on the medical facilities at the circuit.

ioan
28th March 2010, 19:10
i'd imagine the ability for the medical helicopter to fly would affect the race, but also would depend on the medical facilities at the circuit.

I doubt they have the possibility to do neurosurgery in any of the circuits' med facilities.

I am fairly sure that this policy is dictated by the insurance companies and maybe government regulations and Bernie will do whatever to keep them happy otherwise he would be in deep $h!t.

race_director
29th March 2010, 07:46
History shows that they're happy to cancel practice or even qualifying, and happy to delay the start of a race. But once the action starts (and the viewing figures are up, not that I'm suggesting that's a link ;) ) it takes a lot before the race is stopped.

As I said, see Malaysia 2009 for a recent example. There was no way a medical helicopter was going anywhere in that, yet it wasn't until half the field had slid off that the red flag appeared.

I Think f1 is pinacle of sports , and considering the best safety measures f1 has and also during heavy rain cars are driver carefully at lower speeds and serious racing crashing crashes are next to impossible now days. The FIA also takes a few bet trying to run the show with a lots of spicy action, like drivers slipping on grass, or max a costly gravel trap like the one in nurmberg 2007 :)

Anyway i think rain sperates the mean from the boys.

Mark
29th March 2010, 12:18
F1 tracks have to have considerable medical facilities on site. And yet the vast majority of the time if a driver is injured, they'll fly him straight to hospital.

Valve Bounce
29th March 2010, 12:22

The drivers are told to bend over, put their heads between their legs and kiss their asses goodbye. :p : :D :rotflmao:

markabilly
29th March 2010, 14:36
The drivers are told to bend over, put their heads between their legs and kiss their asses goodbye. :p : :D :rotflmao:
Exactly the excellent training I received at elementary school for what to do in the event of a nuke attack or a tornado hitting the school

markabilly
29th March 2010, 14:39
I doubt they have the possibility to do neurosurgery in any of the circuits' med facilities.

quote]

Unnecessary concern. When taking a direct shot of lightning, neurosurgery is immaterial to survival and helicopter not necessary

race_director
22nd April 2010, 07:06
:rotflmao:

Rollo
22nd April 2010, 08:23

I also doubt that any medical crew would be able to perform the necessary CAT, MRI, and PET scans within 2 hours which would usually warrant doing neurosurgery in the first place.
Besides which, in the event of serious head trauma, you'd want to moce a prospective patient around as carefully as you possibly could.

This is brain surgery, not rocket science.

Retro Formula 1
23rd April 2010, 07:51

This isn't reference to another inappropriately named American racer like Speed is it?

ShiftingGears
23rd April 2010, 09:51
Unnecessary concern. When taking a direct shot of lightning, neurosurgery is immaterial to survival and helicopter not necessary

I can't tell if you are joking but if you aren't then you missed the point - the necessity for neurosurgery would come if there was a catastrophic on-track accident, that coincided with the helicopter not being able to fly.

SGWilko
23rd April 2010, 11:21
I can't tell if you are joking but if you aren't then you missed the point - the necessity for neurosurgery would come if there was a catastrophic on-track accident, that coincided with the helicopter not being able to fly.

Are races not stopped when the chopper cannot fly?

They have certainly delayed Qually due to this in the past.

Mysterious Rock
23rd April 2010, 18:59
Actually just a question with the speeds in F1 would it be possible for a car to get struck by lightening

Somebody
23rd April 2010, 19:09
Sure. Not especially likely given how low they are to the ground - grandstands, catch fencing and so on are more probable targets - but on a really wide track at the top of a hill or somesuch, it could happen.

call_me_andrew
23rd April 2010, 22:55
Actually just a question with the speeds in F1 would it be possible for a car to get struck by lightening

Of course, but I'm more concerned about the spectators, marshalls, and pit crews.