PDA

View Full Version : Want to start your own race series?

christophulus
25th March 2010, 20:48
How about buying A1GP?

The whole lot, consisting of 20 Ferrari-engined cars, 14 of the older Lolas, plus safety car, medical car and various other bits and pieces are up for sale through the administrators:

http://www.go-dove.com/event-14131/A1GP_-_Opportunity_to_acquire_Grand_Prix_race_cars_power ed_by_Ferrari?utm_campaign=14131&utm_source=go-dove.com&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=header

No idea how much it's going for..

slorydn1
25th March 2010, 23:50
Yeah, sure....I'm sure I have enough loose change floating around on the floor of my truck to buy the whole thing :p :

V12
26th March 2010, 12:54
With all these one-make racers either being pensioned off or their series going bankrupt maybe someone should just go round buying two of each and creating a new series that doesn't actually suck so much?

ArrowsFA1
26th March 2010, 13:28
This news didn't generate much interest in the A1GP Series (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=135) forum :p

555-04Q2
26th March 2010, 13:46
The A1GP concept was brilliant, but failed to deliver. Pity, cause it had all the ingredients to become a great series.

The A1GP street races held on our Durban streets were great fun for me, the closest to F1 we get over here besides the Renault F1 Roadshows.

AndyL
26th March 2010, 13:58
I quite enjoyed A1GP, but I did find it felt a slightly soulless event. Seeing a row of identical, white, prefab buildings behind the pits instead of liveried race trucks was one symptom of it.

Their safety car was very nice though, a Ferrari 599; and the doctor's car was a rather tasty Maserati.

christophulus
26th March 2010, 14:15
This news didn't generate much interest in the A1GP Series (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=135) forum :p

I didn't even know we had one! :s

wedge
26th March 2010, 15:32
The A1GP concept was brilliant, but failed to deliver. Pity, cause it had all the ingredients to become a great series.

No it wasn't.

It was Reject Road Racers World Series.

UltimateDanGTR
26th March 2010, 16:34
one of us should place a serious bid of £1 plus 20% of all annual profits the series makes, and see where we end up :D

nigelred5
27th March 2010, 00:27
With all these one-make racers either being pensioned off or their series going bankrupt maybe someone should just go round buying two of each and creating a new series that doesn't actually suck so much?

LOL. That's some funny $#it right there..... ;)

Seriously though, grab them, Superleague and what's left of the fleet of DP01 Champcars and you might actually have an interesting series.

DexDexter
27th March 2010, 15:26
Maybe IRL should buy these cars, I mean they are from 2008... :)

Jag_Warrior
28th March 2010, 21:01
I think I would like to buy a racing series. I helped fund an R/C car racing series several years ago. But I'm not sure if I want to buy the IRL for $50 or A1GP for $55.

555-04Q2
29th March 2010, 06:39
No it wasn't.

It was Reject Road Racers World Series.

Yes it was. Equal cars, nation vs nation with driver skill and setup only being the difference, unlike F1 etc where cars are vastly faster/slower than the other. The racing should have been excellent.

The concept was great, but the execution was cr@p.

wedge
29th March 2010, 15:34
Yes it was. Equal cars, nation vs nation with driver skill and setup only being the difference, unlike F1 etc where cars are vastly faster/slower than the other. The racing should have been excellent.

The concept was great, but the execution was cr@p.

That's what GP2 is there for. The nations thing was a silly gimmick, just as SuperLeague/football teams

555-04Q2
30th March 2010, 06:41
That's what GP2 is there for. The nations thing was a silly gimmick, just as SuperLeague/football teams

Yes, but GP2 is mainly a feeder series for F1 and not a top flight racing formula. A1GP was offering something different to the boring racing that F1 normally produces these days. The OZ 2010 F1 race last weeknd was the exception to the rule of no overtaking and processional racing. Pity A1GP could not take off and offer a better show :(

wedge
30th March 2010, 13:59
Yes, but GP2 is mainly a feeder series for F1 and not a top flight racing formula. A1GP was offering something different to the boring racing that F1 normally produces these days.

ROFLMAO!!

An F3 driver aiming to race A1GP!

Where did Piquet Jr, and Hulkenberg progress to?

A1GP is the equivalent of scraping the barrel: Robbie Kerr was a top F3 driver, Darren Manning was kicked out of Ganassi/IRL, Adam Carrol had enough of GP2 because it got him no where and needed a new environment.