PDA

View Full Version : "New" Ferrari back at the front to stay there forever?

jens
25th March 2010, 17:53
Well... After the departure of Team Schumacher there were huge questionmarks around Ferrari. Even last year Ferrari made some changes and brought in a few more Italians (Marmorini as an engine chief and di Luca as an aero-guru instead of Iley). Yet 2010 has started and Ferrari had the most complete package in Bahrain (speed + reliability).

So the question is - if even those massive changes can't force Ferrari down from the top, then what should possibly happen to see Ferrari struggling, except for radical rule changes like 05/09? Others have a reason to scratch their head if even a massively reorganized team keeps beating them like they did in the past.

F1boat
25th March 2010, 20:09
So far RBR is the fastest car, so let's not be carried away. I'd be happy if Ferrari annihilates their rivals again, but I don't think that this is possible.

Sonic
25th March 2010, 20:16
Ferrari is, and will remain a top team for as long as they take part in F1. I doubt there will be another wilderness period of two decades between world titles ever again.

Drivers, managers, technicians etc come and go, but Ferrari will always be Ferrari.

jens
25th March 2010, 20:27
Ferrari is, and will remain a top team for as long as they take part in F1. I doubt there will be another wilderness period of two decades between world titles ever again.

Could be so, but what is different about Ferrari now compared to what we saw in the 80's and 90's? Are they now even a bigger legend than they were back then, which as a result guarantees a constant influx of top-level engineers and a big amount of funds? Maybe once it was thought about Lotus or Williams too that they would never fall backwards. What is the main difference that should guarantee Ferrari's ever-lasting presence at the top? Building their own engines? That they have managed to survive and return to the top flight after the loss of their great leader and founder unlike Lotus, so that the brand is now based on much more than one legendary man? Or the status of the team as a national symbol? - I doubt any other team can claim that at the moment.

ratonmacias
25th March 2010, 20:33
Could be so, but what is different about Ferrari now compared to what we saw in the 80's and 90's? Are they now even a bigger legend than they were back then, which as a result guarantees a constant influx of top-level engineers and a big amount of funds? Maybe once it was thought about Lotus or Williams too that they would never fall backwards. What is the main difference that should guarantee Ferrari's ever-lasting presence at the top? Building their own engines? That they have managed to survive and return to the top flight after the loss of their great leader and founder unlike Lotus, so that the brand is now based on much more than one legendary man? Or the status of the team as a national symbol? - I doubt any other team can claim that at the moment.

as long as they get more money from bernie than anybody else they will be fine plus the name is legendary and historic so they have better odds of attracting the best sponsorship packages.

Hawkmoon
25th March 2010, 21:22
as long as they get more money from bernie than anybody else they will be fine plus the name is legendary and historic so they have better odds of attracting the best sponsorship packages.

This certainly helps but I don't think you can blame Ferrari for the situation nor is their continued success solely a result of extra money from Bernie. All the teams would like to negotiate an advantage if they could. Mercedes could be enjoying the exact same benefit if they hadn't pulled out of the sport so long ago.

Money doesn't equate success. Just ask Honda and Toyota. What it does do is help with stability as well funded teams don't have to cut corners and can pay the best people. It's what the team does with those people that counts. Ferrari put the right people in the right places in the mid '90s and success followed. They seem to have done well replacing those people and I think that while ever they continue to do that they'll be at or near the top of F1.

wedge
25th March 2010, 23:14
So the question is - if even those massive changes can't force Ferrari down from the top, then what should possibly happen to see Ferrari struggling, except for radical rule changes like 05/09?

Tactical changes was an achilles heel but there's now more onus on the driver but I can't see Alonso making daft decisions apart from mis-reading the weather/conditions.

ratonmacias
26th March 2010, 04:48
This certainly helps but I don't think you can blame Ferrari for the situation nor is their continued success solely a result of extra money from Bernie. All the teams would like to negotiate an advantage if they could. Mercedes could be enjoying the exact same benefit if they hadn't pulled out of the sport so long ago.

Money doesn't equate success. Just ask Honda and Toyota. What it does do is help with stability as well funded teams don't have to cut corners and can pay the best people. It's what the team does with those people that counts. Ferrari put the right people in the right places in the mid '90s and success followed. They seem to have done well replacing those people and I think that while ever they continue to do that they'll be at or near the top of F1.

of course its not only about money but it sure helps just look at williams from hero to zero in 5 years. and like i said ferrari is legendary many drivers and staff would choose ferrari instead of red bull or what ever just because it is ferrari.

Valve Bounce
26th March 2010, 06:18
Well... After the departure of Team Schumacher there were huge questionmarks around Ferrari. Even last year Ferrari made some changes and brought in a few more Italians (Marmorini as an engine chief and di Luca as an aero-guru instead of Iley). Yet 2010 has started and Ferrari had the most complete package in Bahrain (speed + reliability).

So the question is - if even those massive changes can't force Ferrari down from the top, then what should possibly happen to see Ferrari struggling, except for radical rule changes like 05/09? Others have a reason to scratch their head if even a massively reorganized team keeps beating them like they did in the past.

Earthquake, bushfires, killer icicles, flood, just to name a few.

ArrowsFA1
26th March 2010, 08:47
Don't speak too soon. Heikki Kovalainen in the Lotus was only three tenths of a second slower than Ferrari's Felipe Massa in second practice :p

I am evil Homer
26th March 2010, 09:01
Ferrari will always be near the top I doubt we'll ever see a slump as they had in the mid 80s. As for this year...well they started working on the car very early so you'd hope it was good.

SGWilko
26th March 2010, 09:31
Earthquake, bushfires, killer icicles, flood, just to name a few.

Don't forget Triffids....

jas123f1
27th March 2010, 00:24

I hope - not.
RBR and Vettel is my favourites after Ferraris out paying of one of the fastest driver on the greed.. (Kimi) RBR was fastest in the first race and I can't see any reasons why it wouldn't be the same in Australia..

F1boat
27th March 2010, 06:02
RBR is for now the fastest car, but I hope that Ferrari can outdevelop them.

Malbec
27th March 2010, 10:23

The top team of Brawn, Todt etc might have gone but there is institutional strength at Maranello. That kind of strength doesn't disappear overnight especially when there are no local rival teams that can poach your staff easily. If a British team starts going downhill it doesn't take much of a change of lifestyle for good engineers to stop commuting to Woking or Brackley and switch to Milton Keynes or Enstone. If Ferrari starts to go downhill then those top Italian engineers are going to have more incentive to stay than engineers at British teams, they'll need to move countries and take their families with them if they want to jump ship.

I think it also helps that top Italian industry is now better run than it ever was in the 80s or 90s and that in itself has increased the pool of top managers and management culture in Italy. That just doesn't affect Ferrari, it affects their entire supply chain with companies like Brembo etc etc running better and supplying better products too.

Mia 01
21st May 2010, 12:31
Third best team at the best, they lack at the management and driver side.

Tazio
21st May 2010, 13:54
Go into "The Ferrari Store" at "The Wynn" in Las Vegas.
All shall be revealed. :)

I am evil Homer
21st May 2010, 13:56

Of course not but more cash helps maintain the status quo.

ShiftingGears
21st May 2010, 14:02
Well, having di Montezemolo run things with his Italians-first policy will probably not see them dominate championships like they used to.

Mia 01
21st May 2010, 14:04
Well, with the politican Aloso in the team they need no enemies.

jens
25th May 2010, 21:01
Well, having di Montezemolo run things with his Italians-first policy will probably not see them dominate championships like they used to.

It seems like both Ferrari and McLaren have lost a bit of their edge compared to what they had years ago. As a result Red Bull is the team to beat and the likes of Renault are looking relatively good as well. But nonetheless Ferrari is still quite competitive and far from a flop that could have been feared after the loss of Team MS.