PDA

View Full Version : Steve Neal

norwichsam1
24th March 2010, 09:30
Is it just me or is anyone else fed up with Steve Neal's constant moaning? First of all I want to clarify this is not just some character bashing thread, I am a big fan of team dynamics & all that they have achieved, and the championship would definately be a poorer place without them. It's just that everytime he gives an interview it is moaning about all the other teams/drivers in the championship, and in some cases putting down his own drivers (except Matt of course). At the end of last year he was complaining about waivers that the Silverline Chevrolets and AON Fords had, and guess what, at media day yesterday it was the new Chevrolet Cruze, the fact the AON cars are running on lpg and event the new TOCA diesel engines that were all 'unfair'. The whole idea of the BTCC is that there is a diverse mix of cars competing and this is always going to throw up challenges for the organisers to ensure a level playing field and i for one think Alan Gow and his team do a great job in this respect. I'm sure more than one team boss has had gripes in the past but surely it would be better kept in meetings behind the scenes than to be constantly moaning to the press about how hard done by his team is.

AndySpeed
24th March 2010, 10:09
First of all, does anyone know what these waivers were or are?

mattie007
24th March 2010, 12:02
Unless ive missed something, the new NGTC engines are Diesels??!!

Allyc85
24th March 2010, 12:13
Theres no diesels in the field and the NGTC engine is deffo not diesel!

Jon411
24th March 2010, 16:36
Steve Neal never seems happy unless he is moaning. He spent most of last year complaining about BMWs as well as the Chevrolets Any team is going to moan to some degree about rules and waivers when it doesn't benefit them, but he seems to have turned it into an art form. Whilst I don't know enough about the Civic, didn't the Integra have some sort of rule break when they raced it?

reidy_fan
24th March 2010, 19:20
the integra was homologated under local rules as it isnt sold in the UK, didnt hear 888 or anyone else moaning too much at the time

Steve Neal is actually a sound bloke IMO, yes he is passionate but he sticks up for his team and is probably one of the most loyal to the BTCC, also from what i have seen he isnt afraid to get his hands dirty if there is a job to be done

Alfa Fan
24th March 2010, 19:21
Yes Steve moans a lots, but lets not forget this guy has run entries in the series for nearly fifteen years now, often out of his own company's pocket. The BTCC would be a poorer place for his absence.

Eurotech
24th March 2010, 21:16
Who cares? The Moaning and Complaining is all part of the BTCC, I'm just glad someone has carried on the tradition because last year we had 3 guys racing for the championship, and they all liked eachother! now THATS a novelty...

I say we bring back the old 'Muller vs Plato' and 'Neal vs Plato' style rivalries....

Nick The Flick
25th March 2010, 15:50
Steve Neal is a God and very good at what he does. I love the fella and if I had a womb would offer to birth children for him.

If TD didn't enter into the BTCC each year, I am sure you would be bitching about that too.

BeansBeansBeans
25th March 2010, 16:14
SI love the fella and if I had a womb would offer to birth children for him.

That's brave. Have you seen the size of Matt?

Dave B
25th March 2010, 20:42
Like Nick, I got to know Steve Neal when I was working in the paddock. He can at times be an abrasive character but in my experience that's because he genuinely cares about the sport - and his business - and isn't afraid to voice his opinion.

His team have enjoyed success at the highest level over many years, and he understands the value of publicity like few others in the pit lane. Some of his bitching and moaning is from the heart, some of it is carefully calculated to gain column inches. I see nothing wrong with either.

wedge
26th March 2010, 00:26
Like Nick, I got to know Steve Neal when I was working in the paddock. He can at times be an abrasive character but in my experience that's because he genuinely cares about the sport - and his business - and isn't afraid to voice his opinion.

His team have enjoyed success at the highest level over many years, and he understands the value of publicity like few others in the pit lane. Some of his bitching and moaning is from the heart, some of it is carefully calculated to gain column inches. I see nothing wrong with either.

Very diplomatic of you!

With that kind of attitude he can be an utter twunt. Insisted for Rob Collard pay for damages from that infamous incident at Brands a few years ago and then refusing to pay costs to hiring a transporter off Collard. He's quite happy for the officials to throw the book at anyone who dares punt off his cars and turns a blind eye when its his own drivers.

Dave B
26th March 2010, 14:35
He's quite happy for the officials to throw the book at anyone who dares punt off his cars and turns a blind eye when its his own drivers.
The Alex Ferguson of motorsport? :p

LiamM
26th March 2010, 15:28
First of all, does anyone know what these waivers were or are?

The Lacettis were given dispensations by the FIA initially to do with suspension geometry, so probably to do with this?