PDA

View Full Version : General Looney on the chassis committee

Lousada
23rd March 2010, 22:19
http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-izod-indycar-series/34892-meet-the-foreman-of-the-chassis-jury/

Looney equates the role more as unbiased facilitator, which is why Indy Racing League CEO Randy Bernard sought him out to chair the committee that will be comprised of a league representative, a team owner elected by vote of all owners, an engine expert, a marketer/promoter and a racing engineer.

So what do you think about this idea?

TURN3
23rd March 2010, 22:53
http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-izod-indycar-series/34892-meet-the-foreman-of-the-chassis-jury/

I like what I've read of it. Glad that sort of an outsider has been appointed to head the committee. Especially somebody of the logic required to become a general. My only hope is that the manufacturers all submit proposals allowing multiple entities to supply. I think we all want that to a man as fans.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd March 2010, 23:21
I like what I've read of it. Glad that sort of an outsider has been appointed to head the committee. Especially somebody of the logic required to become a general. My only hope is that the manufacturers all submit proposals allowing multiple entities to supply. I think we all want that to a man as fans.

Well the man being a former fighter pilot and involved in the procurement system for fighters, he has a technical background. Unlike Bernard, he will grasp a lot of the reasons why things are done in the industry from a knowledge base. HE however seems very dedicated to Bernard.

Interesting, on that link, I followed the link to Bernard's interview with the St. Pete's Times. More confirmation in my mind that Randy Bernard doesn't make decisions based on anything but adding value for the fans, and listening to the customer. He is talking of dumping the two bottom events and putting more onus on promoters to provide value. That may be a bad idea in the eyes of some, but lets see how it shakes out.

All in all, Bernard so far seems to understand his limitations without letting them stifle him. Looney's appointment to head the tech committee gets around his lack of experience with the technical side. Creative problem solving eh?

Chamoo
24th March 2010, 02:40
All in all, Bernard so far seems to understand his limitations without letting them stifle him. Looney's appointment to head the tech committee gets around his lack of experience with the technical side. Creative problem solving eh?

I do appreciate Bernard and realizing his limits. He is delegating as he needs to until he learns more about the sport.

He is doing more in less then a month than was done in the last couple years.

anthonyvop
24th March 2010, 03:26
So the future of the IRL is in the hands of a Looney?

You can't make this stuff up!

Ok Jokes aside. With all due respect to the General but the head of the committee is somebody who has ZERO experience in the entertainment industry, achieved an upper management position in an organization that never had to turn a profit and is notorious for budget overruns.

SoCalPVguy
24th March 2010, 03:42

I thinks its "looney"

Scotty G.
24th March 2010, 03:45

Ok Jokes aside. With all due respect to the General but the head of the committee is somebody who has ZERO experience in the entertainment industry, achieved an upper management position in an organization that never had to turn a profit and is notorious for budget overruns.

General LOONEY has the perfect name to be involved in Indy Car Racing. ;)

Mark in Oshawa
24th March 2010, 06:46

For picking a race car, I don't want a guy looking at the entertainment industry. As for your criticism's about cost overruns and the like, remember, as a military man, what it cost wasn't his dept. THAT was the civilians in the Pentagon and Congress screwing that up. What Looney will do is listen to people, be intelligent enough and versed enough on safety and production issues to know when he is being BSed or not, and make sure all options are explored. HE is an advisor and chair...the committee from the sounds of it will be team owners, drivers, and other stakeholders. He is chairing it, and reporting back to Bernard. When you get right down to it, Barnhart and Cotman will probably have as much if not more say anyhow...that isn't going to change.

Lousada
24th March 2010, 18:36
For picking a race car, I don't want a guy looking at the entertainment industry. As for your criticism's about cost overruns and the like, remember, as a military man, what it cost wasn't his dept. THAT was the civilians in the Pentagon and Congress screwing that up. What Looney will do is listen to people, be intelligent enough and versed enough on safety and production issues to know when he is being BSed or not, and make sure all options are explored. HE is an advisor and chair...the committee from the sounds of it will be team owners, drivers, and other stakeholders. He is chairing it, and reporting back to Bernard. When you get right down to it, Barnhart and Cotman will probably have as much if not more say anyhow...that isn't going to change.

What has Cotman to say? He isn't with the IRL anymore.

It will be interesting to see who will be the other committee members. I wonder how they can ever form a committee that is unbiased. There is at least one member who will vote for the Delta Wing no matter what. The other members could be chosen in a way to "steer" the decision in favour or against the DW.

MDS
25th March 2010, 01:25
Seriously the more I hear about Randy Bernard the more I'm impressed. I think he is poised to take the sport forward in ways Tony George never could.

Mark in Oshawa
25th March 2010, 17:24
What has Cotman to say? He isn't with the IRL anymore.

It will be interesting to see who will be the other committee members. I wonder how they can ever form a committee that is unbiased. There is at least one member who will vote for the Delta Wing no matter what. The other members could be chosen in a way to "steer" the decision in favour or against the DW.

You really think Cotman's opinion won't be taken? You think he has NO say in anything? He isn't on the payroll, but believe me, his opinion will be courted in an informal way because he is in the loop of what is going on.

I think all the committee members will have an idea on where everyone is coming from but when things are hashed out, aired and discussed, the truth will be evident for all but the blind to see on what they need to do. I know that in the end, the only way to satisfy most of the goals they have set out will involve writing a set of rules that can allow for numerous options. The company that jumps in first likely will sew up a lot of business and make money and THAT will probably force the other companies to make some decisions that may not make them money for a while. That said, if you want to compete, the IRL will be open.

I think we may end up with maybe one chassis for a while even under the new rules, but as long as that door is never shut or even put on the hinges, then other companies and other options are always available, and teams would be allowed to develop the car within the rules to a degree they are NOT now. I think THAT option is what we are missing in today's rules regime.

Mark in Oshawa
25th March 2010, 17:26
Seriously the more I hear about Randy Bernard the more I'm impressed. I think he is poised to take the sport forward in ways Tony George never could.

That is low hanging fruit MDS...Tony didn't understand marketing. He hired Gene Simmons, who the last I looked, was a legend in his own mind, and the only thing he has marketed really successfully was KISS and himself.

Bernard took a politically incorrect rodeo offshoot and put it on ESPN and drove it's audience into places never conteplated in less than 10 years. If he can do that with bull riding, he can do some good with the IRL. How good is the question we have to wait on.

indyracefan
25th March 2010, 19:06
General Looney is chairing the 'advisory' committee. He's not making any decisions but merely making recommendations to Bernard once all parties have made their case. I too am liking what I've seen from Bernard in his very brief tenure. If he can do just a fraction for the IICS as he's done with the PBR things are definitely going to be getting better. For the first time since about 1997 I actually have some faith in the leadership of open-wheel racing.

anthonyvop
25th March 2010, 21:31
I wish him well but i have heard or seen nothing different from Bernard that I haven't seen or heard before by the head of either series.

Easy Drifter
26th March 2010, 00:29
Give the man a chance and the General too.
Hopefully the General can wade through the inevitable BS and the committee will make an informed decision. The General's job will be to keep everyone on track and open minded. To get where he is indicates he probably can do that. His actual knowledge of IC racing is immaterial.
Bernard's choice there shows some 'out of the box' thinking.
I would hope Bernard is smart enough, and indications are he is, he will look at previous failures and try and figure out where they went wrong.
Talking to people like Bernie Ecclestone, Scott Atheron, Humpty Wheeler and the NASCAR powers that be would be smart. People like Tony Stewart are also good promoters as well.
Note talking to. Then sort out the BS from good advice.
The mess that is Indy Car is not going to be fixed overnight or even in just a year or two.
Steer clear of Gentalozi and SCCA!
I think most of us agree that Indy Car needs a better TV package but that is almost the chicken and egg discussion. You need a good package to get network coverage but you almost need network coverage to get a good package.
From a Cdn. point of view the IC deal with TSN sucks. Almost all races are on TSN2 with very limited viewers. Yet IC probably has a better per capita interest in Canada than in the US. There just ain't that many of us up here in the frozen north!!!!!
The man has only been in charge for a few weeks. He will still be, and for some time, assessing the people running IC based on his knowledge of what works and what doesn't.
A year from now we may be able to see if he is succeeding.
Remember it took years for the France's and Bernie to build their empires.
It also took several years for Tony to put us in this mess!

Mark in Oshawa
27th March 2010, 11:49
I wish him well but i have heard or seen nothing different from Bernard that I haven't seen or heard before by the head of either series.

It is your boundless optimism I so admire....

indyracefan
27th March 2010, 17:19

Of course not. We wouldn't expect anything less from such a self-important guy like yourself.

indyracefan
27th March 2010, 17:26

Well of course you haven't. I don't believe anyone here expects anything credibly informative or positive from you any way.

anthonyvop
27th March 2010, 22:35
Well of course you haven't. I don't believe anyone here expects anything credibly informative or positive from you any way.

I use to offer suggestions for improving the sport but tired of listening to those who worship at the doors of the IMS call me every name in the book.

I have a question for those who are so excited.

What has he done or utter to make you think that the series will turn around? Aside from forming a committee(Which many of his predecessors had done they just didn't announce it with huge fanfare) what decisions or ideas has he expressed that makes you so positive?

BDunnell
27th March 2010, 23:13
I use to offer suggestions for improving the sport but tired of listening to those who worship at the doors of the IMS call me every name in the book.

Funny how you get called every name in the book so often, isn't it?

Wilf
28th March 2010, 00:19
I wonder if that would be considered a trend?

anthonyvop
28th March 2010, 04:13

That just means I am important.

Easy Drifter
28th March 2010, 04:56
Or full of it.

Mark in Oshawa
28th March 2010, 05:13
Tony if you have voiced your opinions recently, I have failed to remember them accurately....so far you just like to stand in the corner and toss out pot shots.

garyshell
28th March 2010, 05:17
That just means I am important.

Only when looking in a mirror. The very definition of self-important.

Gary