PDA

View Full Version : Magnusson: the Second Coming

wedge
22nd March 2010, 16:11
McLaren sign Jan Magnusson's son Kevin into their driver programme.

Andrew Benson's piece on Jan from Motorsport is inbedded in the article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2010/03/mclaren_and_magnussen_come_ful.html

Sonic
22nd March 2010, 18:14
I'll read the article in a moment but let's just hope he's not a flop.....again.

Sonic
22nd March 2010, 19:27
Man! How young was he when he had his kid? 19ish?

BeansBeansBeans
22nd March 2010, 20:37
People seem to pity Jan Magnussen which I think is rather unfortunate. Very few drivers make a living from driving racing cars, and he has done so at a very high level. He wasn't cut out for F1, but there's more to motorsport than F1.

I wish his young 'un the best of luck.

Saint Devote
23rd March 2010, 00:37
Jackie Stewart said that father Jan [are these people so narrow they HAVE to choose a junior?!] just never listened.

If things did not go well he would not change and was simply stubborn.

Stewart also said that Magnussen was a lazy driver.

Feel sorry for him? No. He needed his arse kicked! Should have been in AJ's team. Would have done him well.

EuroTroll
23rd March 2010, 07:34
People seem to pity Jan Magnussen which I think is rather unfortunate. Very few drivers make a living from driving racing cars, and he has done so at a very high level. He wasn't cut out for F1, but there's more to motorsport than F1.

:up:

Jan is only considered a flop because the expectations were so high after F3. Leaving those expectations aside, he's had a very decent career.

I am evil Homer
23rd March 2010, 09:23
Agreed...in F3 he was superb but it just never worked for him in F1 for all sorts of reasons. But as a sportscar driver is was great.

Garry Walker
23rd March 2010, 12:27
But Jackie told us Magnussen is the next Senna and he is always right.

Mark
23rd March 2010, 12:36
There are so many drivers throughout history who were spectacular in every motorsport series they'd ever competed in. But when they get to F1 then struggle for whatever reason.

Bourdais is a more recent example. Completely dominated in ChampCar (or whatever they were calling it that week) but didn't impress in F1.

Garry Walker
23rd March 2010, 12:49
There are so many drivers throughout history who were spectacular in every motorsport series they'd ever competed in. But when they get to F1 then struggle for whatever reason.

Bourdais is a more recent example. Completely dominated in ChampCar (or whatever they were calling it that week) but didn't impress in F1.

Because the quality of ChampCar drivers was a joke compared to F1

truefan72
23rd March 2010, 19:32

hard to impress in an STR in a car that absolutely does not suit you, and with nobody in the garage listening to any of your suggestions. Add to that a poor management team that viewed drivers as a game of musical chairs and the outcome was expected.

could have done better? absolutely
deserved better? yes

23rd March 2010, 19:47
could have done better? absolutely
deserved better? yes

Should read....

Could have done better? Absloutely.
Deserved better? No.

This is F1. If you can't get your voice heard, you don't deserve the chance.

truefan72
23rd March 2010, 20:51
Should read....

Could have done better? Absloutely.
Deserved better? No.

This is F1. If you can't get your voice heard, you don't deserve the chance.

:|

V12
24th March 2010, 17:31
:eek: Bloody hell how old was Magnussen when he had him? He's not THAT old is he?

But yeah he's not the first to look like the next (enter legendary driver here, preferably of the same nationality if at all possible just to make that comparison a little bit sweeter) on the way up the ladder, only to fail for whatever reasons (usually not lack of talent) upon reaching F1. Pizzonia is another that springs to mind.

jens
25th March 2010, 17:36
Well, Kevin is already "passed his prime", because I recently read that McLaren has signed a 14-y-o karting star in their young drivers' programme. :p :