Humidity: 63 %
Wind Speed: Calm
Barometer: 30.07" (1018.2 mb)
Dewpoint: 38 °F (3 °C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

Its time for stock car racing's version of a blender :up:

slorydn1
19th March 2010, 16:17
Had our first spin of practice....and the award goes to Shrub!!!!

What I'm not liking already, is that it does not look like the track is rubbering in AT ALL...and when Kyle spun there was no smoke off the tires at all, and the rubber from his tires just kind of grated off and powdered behind him as he spun.......I sure hope Badyear didn't screw up and bring a more "durable" tire again......

slorydn1
19th March 2010, 16:27
And the award for the first wreck goes to B-Lab.....Spun and backed into the fence going into 3...will need a back up car. And the track is still just as white as can be, still no groove developing....

slorydn1
19th March 2010, 16:33
now the 48 just spun coming off of 4, and OF COURSE, he didn't hit anything.

It does look look like some sort of groove is developing finally. But the there is a ton of black powder developing high against the wall off 2 and 4.....

Fox just said what I was thinking.....looks an awful lot like Indy from a couple of years ago! And I sure hope I am wrong

slorydn1
19th March 2010, 16:57
Ok, Ok, Looks like I am wrong...there is a definite groove on the track now, finally, 45 minutes into practice. It sounds like all the drivers are complaining about a lack of grip, and Bowyer has already mentioned the tire, saying that it was a "little too hard for this place."

slorydn1
19th March 2010, 18:07
http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2010/5/data/practice1_speeds.html

Logano topped the charts

slorydn1
21st March 2010, 14:44
As discussed in the weather thread, it looks like they just may get the whole race in today, I sure hope the can :up:

Just judging off yesterday's race, it looks like passing is going to be a real be-atch today, kind of a throwback to the old days before they messed with the track. What is different, tho, is back then they used to run low all the way around, and if someone got out of line then they got freight trained.

Now it looks like a car can get on the outside and clog the whole track up.

It's going to be a very intersesting day

Mark in Oshawa
21st March 2010, 17:47
As discussed in the weather thread, it looks like they just may get the whole race in today, I sure hope the can :up:

Just judging off yesterday's race, it looks like passing is going to be a real be-atch today, kind of a throwback to the old days before they messed with the track. What is different, tho, is back then they used to run low all the way around, and if someone got out of line then they got freight trained.

Now it looks like a car can get on the outside and clog the whole track up.

It's going to be a very intersesting day

It has been so far....

Mark in Oshawa
21st March 2010, 17:55
The 48 is just rolling now.....damn he finds a way to be good any time he wants to be it seems...

slorydn1
21st March 2010, 18:08
been having computer prblems off and on.....pace car reporting light rain but still good to go back green at lap 122

slorydn1
21st March 2010, 18:12
as u can see, caution is out fr rain....pace car reports losing the track in 3 and 4
discussing red flag

slorydn1
21st March 2010, 18:15
rain has stopped per the pace car

slorydn1
21st March 2010, 18:17
nascar has decided to let them keep circulating under yellow....track doesn't look
bad on tv

Mark in Oshawa
21st March 2010, 19:22
They are rolling again...same story tho, the Blue Deuce is rolling right along...I picked the wrong Busch brother in my suicide pool. That is what I get for picking before Qualifying and practice last week...

e2mtt
21st March 2010, 20:45
People, this is what domination looks like. Wow. 5 in a row, here they come.

slorydn1
21st March 2010, 20:48
Yawn......another Jimmie Johnson win.....looks like another long dry year.....

e2mtt
21st March 2010, 21:01
It was a good race... Bristol puts on a good show. Kenseth takes the point lead from Harvick by about 5. Jimmie is 18 pts out of the lead, with a 3 wins to give a big advantage come chase time.

Somebody needs to step up & challenge the 48!

Mark in Oshawa
21st March 2010, 21:08
For all those who decry the 48 not racing hard enough early in the year and coastin and just turning onto the chase...I say...were you WATCHING???

I am not a big JJ fan but damn he can close the deal better than anyone...

Jonesi
21st March 2010, 22:25
For all those who decry the 48 not racing hard enough early in the year and coastin and just turning onto the chase...I say...were you WATCHING???

I am not a big JJ fan but damn he can close the deal better than anyone...

Only 3 wins in 5 races, that is JJ coasting! ;)

Mark in Oshawa
21st March 2010, 22:31
Only 3 wins in 5 races, that is JJ coasting! ;)

I just remembered a few silly people insisting up and down that JJ just coasted all season and was "cheating" because he never raced hard in the first 26 races. The other great fiction is that he never would have won in the championship if if the points were like the old system. Utter bunk. This guy is the best driver in Sprint Cup by far right now, and I am not a big fan of the guy as a fan, but from a statistical point of view, he is a FORCE.

slorydn1
21st March 2010, 23:04
Kenseth takes the point lead from Harvick by about 5.

Actually,go check again...Harvick retained a 1 point lead on Kenseth. Track pass had apparently credited Kenseth a lap led that he didn't actually lead (he probably beat the leader to the line by a millimeter on one of those double file restarts...seen it happen several times since they started that last year)...they musta' checked scoring because when I closed raceview Kenseth was up by 4, and now Nascar.com has Harvick by 1

willracefan
22nd March 2010, 00:00
what is the 48's agenda? seriously....

i think someone is eventually gonna get him..harvick or kenseth.

and when is harvick gonna win?

Mark in Oshawa
22nd March 2010, 01:11
what is the 48's agenda? seriously....

i think someone is eventually gonna get him..harvick or kenseth.

and when is harvick gonna win?

What is his agenda? Winning. You and maybe some of his detractors keep trying to discount what he is doing. Four straight championships, with no finish in ANY season in Cup racing lower than 5th. I don't like him, but when your worst year in Sprint Cup is your FIRST, and you still finished 5th in points...and you then dominate the last 4 years and win 2 races out of 5 in this season, I think the agenda he has had is winning and he is well on the way to season 5. Go catch him if you can, but no one has yet.

Harvick will win when Kevin Harvick quits looking to the RCR engine room or to other people blame and starts winning. He can do it, I know he can and I want him to win, but I think the biggest thing stopping Harvick from winning is Kevin not just taking the car and dragging it to the line. Sooner or later, you have to do that, and I am sure Harv will at some point..but last year he blamed RCR but the fact was he wasn't the best guy in his own team. Excuses are for losers they say....

DavePI2
22nd March 2010, 01:36
looks like those new rules are really working with attendance and ratings. Another full house today.

harvick#1
22nd March 2010, 02:39
Harvick will win when Kevin Harvick quits looking to the RCR engine room or to other people blame and starts winning. He can do it, I know he can and I want him to win, but I think the biggest thing stopping Harvick from winning is Kevin not just taking the car and dragging it to the line. Sooner or later, you have to do that, and I am sure Harv will at some point..but last year he blamed RCR but the fact was he wasn't the best guy in his own team. Excuses are for losers they say....

I have found this, He fails to search for lines, he complains the car is too loose or tight, but remains in the same line the whole time to just ride it out.

I don't think hes blamed the engine department in some time, the ECR engines have been very good, its the chassis' that have troubled the RCR organization.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd March 2010, 05:47
I have found this, He fails to search for lines, he complains the car is too loose or tight, but remains in the same line the whole time to just ride it out.

I don't think hes blamed the engine department in some time, the ECR engines have been very good, its the chassis' that have troubled the RCR organization.

Maybe not the EGR engine room this season, but that bit about the lines is Harvick's way of coping last year.

Of course, Junior had much the same strategy and excuses.....

patnicholls
22nd March 2010, 10:23
It's certainly looking ominous from Jimmie again, it looked like Kurt's day for much of yesterday but the 48 was always there or thereabouts ready to pounce. Especially when other good cars (Montoya, Martin, Ambrose, Reutimann) fell by the wayside today - a win means a bigger points payoff [for now] when some of your challengers are in the garage.

Still, it's early days yet and there are others there up front to challenge at least and Harvick, Kenseth and Stewart racking in decent points without looking spectacular. Weird to see Jeff Gordon and Denny Hamlin back in the back so far, but plenty still to go at.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd March 2010, 13:12
It's certainly looking ominous from Jimmie again, it looked like Kurt's day for much of yesterday but the 48 was always there or thereabouts ready to pounce. Especially when other good cars (Montoya, Martin, Ambrose, Reutimann) fell by the wayside today - a win means a bigger points payoff [for now] when some of your challengers are in the garage.

Still, it's early days yet and there are others there up front to challenge at least and Harvick, Kenseth and Stewart racking in decent points without looking spectacular. Weird to see Jeff Gordon and Denny Hamlin back in the back so far, but plenty still to go at.

The Goal is to be in the top 12 in September. Mark Martin at this point last year was a few points past 35th place....so a lot can still happen...

ghostdancing
22nd March 2010, 23:19
Taken me 24hrs to cool down.

Jimmie Jammy Johnson is just soooo lucky.

Kurt Busch should have won except for Matt Kennseth spinning his tyres in front of Kurt on the restart. Again luck leaps in and helps Johnson.

Plus I feel some guys just don't try as hard when Jimmie is passing, just not good enough !

jeffmr2
22nd March 2010, 23:26
Plus I feel some guys just don't try as hard when Jimmie is passing, just not good enough !

Like Tony Stewart for instance,I cant believe he just got out of Jimmies way to give him the victory.(still enjoyed the race tho)

ghostdancing
22nd March 2010, 23:29
Like Tony Stewart for instance,I cant believe he just got out of Jimmies way to give him the victory.(still enjoyed the race tho)

Who mentioned Stewart, I didn't.

jeffmr2
22nd March 2010, 23:33
Who mentioned Stewart, I didn't.

No you didnt i did

ghostdancing
22nd March 2010, 23:40
No you didnt i did

So you think Tony Stewart for instance then !

Easy Drifter
23rd March 2010, 00:52
I don't know if Dave was being sarcastic but I have never seen so many empty seats at Bristol. The crowd had to be a way down.

e2mtt
23rd March 2010, 01:53
As far as I know, Jimmie still can't drive a road course worth anything. However, you give him 4 fresh tires and just a few laps to go for the win, there isn't anyone who can out-drive him on an oval. In the final laps of some races in last years chase, and again this week, when a win is in sight, he will do some amazing racing.

e2mtt
23rd March 2010, 02:05
I don't know if Dave was being sarcastic but I have never seen so many empty seats at Bristol. The crowd had to be a way down.

It's the economy. A lot of the blue collar/construction/manufacturing workers who had Nascar tickets just can't afford them right now. I know this from first hand experience. (I know, this doesn't explain lower TV ratings...)

Mark in Oshawa
23rd March 2010, 02:13

Do you look at the amount of dope you put in the reefer before you say these things?? Tony Stewart GIVE anyone ANYTHING on the race track? A BLIND man could see he was out there on old tires and JJ had fresh ones...and Tony hadn't been up front all DAY. Tony did what a lot of smart drivers do with cars that are not handling, he gambled he wouldn't fall as far back in 12 laps as he was before the Yellow.....that was NO gift..

Mark in Oshawa
23rd March 2010, 02:16
As far as I know, Jimmie still can't drive a road course worth anything. However, you give him 4 fresh tires and just a few laps to go for the win, there isn't anyone who can out-drive him on an oval. In the final laps of some races in last years chase, and again this week, when a win is in sight, he will do some amazing racing.

I guess the Pole he had last year at Watkins Glen was just a fluke? He only gets 2 times a year to race on a road course, so his odds of winning one are a lot tougher. Add in the fact there about 5 guys who are lights out good at road course racing, two of them in his own team. You know, Saying Jimmie sucks at Road Course racing is like saying you wouldn't go out with a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit model because her big toe had a weird curve to it.....who CARES???

71Fan
23rd March 2010, 02:41
Poor attendance.....first, the economy.....second, the fad fans are probably thinking NASCAR and HMS have some kind of inside deal going, or at least if yer not part of the old guard you ain't got a snowballs chance at beating the big dogs. Used to be a backmarker at least had an outside chance at winning. Now, they got an outside chance at a top 10. Unless yer in love with one of the stars, you really got nobody to root for.

As for the race....not bad....give it an 8 overall.....the progressive banking really made a difference. Bristol used to be a great little track and then parody turned it in to little more than a giant toilet bowl. Am really looking forward to the flat track next week tho. Just love the flats.

The late race caution really buggered it up but that's racin. Was very impressed with the way Kyle came back. If yer gonna take the Cup, ya gotta points race. Bummer for Kurt that he got stuck on the inside, which I think was the difference although he did seem a tad loose on the last run.

Great win for Jimmie. The 4 cars that took 2 didn't give him anything. And that makes 50. He might just be the guy they let drive the car, but drive the car he does. And quite well too.

Such are the ramblings of an old guy without much better to do. Your opinions and mileage may vary :-)

e2mtt
23rd March 2010, 02:52
I guess the Pole he had last year at Watkins Glen was just a fluke? He only gets 2 times a year to race on a road course, so his odds of winning one are a lot tougher. Add in the fact there about 5 guys who are lights out good at road course racing, two of them in his own team. You know, Saying Jimmie sucks at Road Course racing is like saying you wouldn't go out with a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit model because her big toe had a weird curve to it.....who CARES???

If you hang out on internet forums you find out there are lots of people who claim to have such high standards they would and do turn down cover models because of their imperfect big toes. :-)

I'm becoming a Jimmie Johnson fan. I can't help it. Domination is awesome.

e2mtt
23rd March 2010, 02:56
Poor attendance.....first, the economy.....second, the fad fans are probably thinking NASCAR and HMS have some kind of inside deal going, or at least if yer not part of the old guard you ain't got a snowballs chance at beating the big dogs. Used to be a backmarker at least had an outside chance at winning. Now, they got an outside chance at a top 10. Unless yer in love with one of the stars, you really got nobody to root for.

This is a bad deal.

I think this is because of multi-car teams. Instead of 4 or 5 top teams with 5 or 6 top drivers, now we have 4 or 5 top teams with 12 or 15 top drivers. The likelihood of a 2nd-tier team winning is way too low.

slorydn1
23rd March 2010, 08:25
Or more specifically, MY economy. That's why I haven't been back to the track since 2007 at Darlington (The Jeff Gordon wins while looking like a Choo-Choo train race). I simply couldn't afford to go anymore, and that was almost a year and a half before my wife lost her good paying job. The sport has just been priced above what I can afford, and anyway, I see WAY more on TV, combined with my computer than I ever could at the track....

The ratings, I can't explain...Im not that smart....

71Fan
24th March 2010, 00:33
Cost me all of 8 bucks to take in a full Saturday afternoon/evening at the local dirt track. The racing is every bit as good as what nascar produces, parking's not a problem, get to sit dern near anywhere you want, hotdogs are a buck and half...and blah blah blah...

Compare that to the cost of even a cheap seat along with the big ol crowd and outragous food/drink prices to pretty much watch parades, and why bother?

harvick#1
24th March 2010, 02:09
from being to oval to road courses races, I can only say stay away from oval speedways,

while the IRL was a blast, it cost about 70 bucks for a ticket, and that was it, Petit Lemans cost me 85 for the 4 days, and was able to gain access to everywhere at the track, and being in more of the support paddocks, the crews are extremely friendly and talk to you about anything you want with the team to the car, let alone for ALMS, before the start of event, Pitroad is open to the public to see the cars upclose on the grid, along with a autograph session with the drivers as well.

I dont think I'll ever bother going to a Nascar race ever, I personally dont think its worth the money to go see, I'd rather watch it on TV with the mute button on

Mark in Oshawa
24th March 2010, 06:34
from being to oval to road courses races, I can only say stay away from oval speedways,

while the IRL was a blast, it cost about 70 bucks for a ticket, and that was it, Petit Lemans cost me 85 for the 4 days, and was able to gain access to everywhere at the track, and being in more of the support paddocks, the crews are extremely friendly and talk to you about anything you want with the team to the car, let alone for ALMS, before the start of event, Pitroad is open to the public to see the cars upclose on the grid, along with a autograph session with the drivers as well.

I dont think I'll ever bother going to a Nascar race ever, I personally dont think its worth the money to go see, I'd rather watch it on TV with the mute button on

Yet you post on NASCAR. I guess I get tho where you are coming from for sure. I will say tho that there is no sporting event quite like a NASCAR Sprint Cup event. The atmosphere and the spectacle are uniquely American and something I don't get always with the IRL and ALMS events I have attended.

I love the ALMS and it is likely my favourite form of racing from when I was a kid. That said, sportscars in the ALMS need more traffic, more competition. The IRL needs more competition. In NASCAR, I get that fix for competition for the most part. For all the talk about the lack of it in NASCAR, I don't buy it. I see lots of lead changes and, yes, you can have boring races, but I see lots of them in every form of racing.

IF Attendance is down with NASCAR, I lay it on the feet of the economy and the sheer logistics of getting to an event being more expensive now. The ticket prices dropping 10% mean little if the gas prices are high and the hotels still are charging WAY more than they would normally. Some effort has been made to trim costs, but not enough when people are flat out of work.