PDA

View Full Version : Indy 500 'silly season'

GRW1983
18th March 2010, 12:42
Just over two months to go, so I thought I'd give my take on who will lining up in May. Drivers with ??? after their name are only rumoured at the moment and are not confirmed.

Ganassi:Scott Dixon, Dario Franchitti, Graham Rahal(as a Rahal/Ganassi partnership???)

Penske:Ryan Briscoe, Will Power, Helio Castroneves

Andretti: Tony Kanaan, Danica Patrick, Marco Andretti, Ryan Hunter-Reay

NHL: Hideki Mutoh

Dale Coyne:Milka Duno, Alex Lloyd???(assuming he is confirmed for the rest of the season at St.Petersburg)

Panther :D an Wheldon

KV Racing:Takuma Sato, EJ Viso, Mario Moraes, Paul Tracy

De Ferren/Luczo Dragon:Raphael Matos, Davey Hamilton

Foyt:Vitor Meira, AJ Foyt IV???(should happen according to Curt Cavin)

D+R:Justin Wilson, Mike Conway, Ana Beatriz???

HVM:Simona de Silvestro

Conquest:Mario Romancini, Bertrand Baguette???

FAZZT:Alex Tagliani

Team 3G:Richard Antinucci???(Team plans to be full time from St.Petersburg onwards, Jacques Lazier??? Stanton Barrett???

SFRacing:Sarah Fisher, Jay Howard

Sam Schmidt:Townsend Bell(partnership with Ganassi)

Bryan Herta Autosport:Sebastian Saavedra

Robby Gordon Motorsports:Robby Gordon(partnership with Walker racing)

I think that pretty much covers it for confirmed entries thus far, I have no doubt there will be more. Plus, there's Ed Carpenter, J.R.Hildebrand, Pippa Mann, Buddy Lazier, Bruno Junquiera, Tomas Scheckter and John Andretti who have all been linked with a 500 drive, so I think we could well have at least 40 entries this year.

MDS
19th March 2010, 13:51
40 is a good possibility, which would make for lots of drama on bump day.

We had 24 cars at Brazil, and while all of them aren't full time they should be at Indy. Add to that confirmed part time entries Sarah Fisher, Jay Howard, Paul Tracy, and Davey Hamilton and that brings us to 28. Additionally Bryan Herta Autosports and Sam Schmidt have both announced entries and drivers and Graham Rahal has a deal that hasn't been announced yet, and that gets the number of confirmed entries to 31.

There are several programs we're waiting to hear from but haven't been announced yet. Robby Gordon/Walker Racing (with technical help from AA), Vision Racing for Ed Carpenter, the annual Hemmelgarn Buddy Lazier and AFE Anthony Foyt entries and whatever happened to 3G/Tsunami racing so that's 36.

There are also some teams looking at running extra cars in the 500, but that market is a little fluid at the moment. FAZZT said they will have a second Canadian, and Panther said its more than likely they'll have a second car so that's 38, and there are at least five more teams considering second entries so we could see 43-44 cars.

The free agents I'm hearing about are Tomas Scheckter (Who supposedly has $2 million of MoiVia money) J.R Hildebrand (Who has been linked to two different teams) Jonathan Summerton (Linked to the same two teams as Hildebrand) Franck Montagny, Bertrand Baguette, Oriol Sevia, Bruno Junqueria (But I expected to see him on the grid in Brazil so who knows).

Also its the 12 Hours of Sebring and there are some odd rumors floating around about some drivers in that field that might make it to Indy. Heard a few people talk about Simone Pagenaud getting the Patron money and going to Panther. Some people are talking about Sebastien Bourdais returning to Indy with NHL. Hard to know how much of this is talk, but Pagenaud to Panther makes a lot of sense given that Scott Sharp has stepped down a division in ALMS and Patron has a relationship with both Simone and Panther.

After that the number of entries goes into flux. There are some programs out there who will probably evaporate when they see how difficult it is going to be to get into the field this year so I don't think we'll see much more than 40 cars show up because these teams like "American Spirit Racing," probably aren't going to show if they don't have a chance of griding, but 36-42 is a realistic chance this year.

Chamoo
19th March 2010, 14:22
I doubt Bourdais is able to compete if he runs the full Superleague Formula season. That series races May 15/16 and May 22/23 so he would be unable to qualify.

I'd love to see it.

Bertrand Baguette is more or less confirmed at Conquest.

Rumors are floating around the Tomas Scheckter and Mona Vie didn't pay up in full for their 2009 racing endeavors. If that is true, will anyone want to take a chance on Mona Vie paying up this season?

I would think Patron could give Pagenaud and Sharp money for Indy. If Sharp is still interested in running, I would think he would have the inside line should only one of the two drivers get money as Sharp is running the owner of Patron Spirits in his new two car GT2 ALMS team.

FAZZT Race Team will be an interesting situation. I had heard Daniel Morad was a lock for the team, however there is the possibility that their new development driver Maryeve Dufault could land that seat if they are able to get her sufficient seat time in the FIL series prior to Indy. But that is doubtful.

It will be exciting to see what Townsend Bell can do in Schmidt/Ganassi equipment. He put the KVRT machine into fourth last year which was a great result. Would love to see Bell put that thing in the top three this year.

Will be the most exciting year in a few years in regards to qualifying and bumping.

Scotty G.
19th March 2010, 15:04
I thought some "experts" here told me a few months ago that there "was no way we'd get to 40 entries at Indy this year". I said back then, it was a good possibility.

I think Scheckter ends up at HVM for Indy, as a teammate to Simona. Would be smart for Wiggins to pair up a veteran oval driver with Simona for the month of May. As good as she has looked so far, Indy is Indy and Simona will need help with the oval stuff. Without some help, making the race will be difficult.

Chamoo
19th March 2010, 17:37
I thought some "experts" here told me a few months ago that there "was no way we'd get to 40 entries at Indy this year". I said back then, it was a good possibility.

I think Scheckter ends up at HVM for Indy, as a teammate to Simona. Would be smart for Wiggins to pair up a veteran oval driver with Simona for the month of May. As good as she has looked so far, Indy is Indy and Simona will need help with the oval stuff. Without some help, making the race will be difficult.

I'd like to see Simona run the Freedom 100 and Kansas FIL races as well as the IICS races. I'm thinking Junior Strous will be bringing an influx of cash to the team, and hopefully Team Stargate Worlds/HVM can find a couple of local sponsors for those two FIL races.

MDS
19th March 2010, 17:39
Personally I think MonaVia is a scam, so it wouldn't surprise me if they stiffed DCR and or DR&R last year. I think Junior Stross runs Indy and Kansas with Shell funding for HVM while Sheckter has to look elsewhere. Racing is a small community, if Dale and Robbie Buhl did get shafted, trust me Tomas is going to have a hard time finding someone to cash that check.

As far as Sebass, it would be a nice shot for the series, and for NHL to get him back at the Indy 500, but I'm doubtful it will happen. Still, I heard that Carl Haass is in Florida this weekend, maybe its just to reconnect with Sebass and his duties fronting for EMT, but he could be making a pitch for Indy as well. Looking at the schedule there's no reason why Sebastien couldn't run Long Beach, Kansas and Indy if he wanted.

Also, I think Buddy Rice and Robert Doornbos are done with the IRL.

Chamoo
19th March 2010, 18:27
As far as Sebass, it would be a nice shot for the series, and for NHL to get him back at the Indy 500, but I'm doubtful it will happen. Still, I heard that Carl Haass is in Florida this weekend, maybe its just to reconnect with Sebass and his duties fronting for EMT, but he could be making a pitch for Indy as well. Looking at the schedule there's no reason why Sebastien couldn't run Long Beach, Kansas and Indy if he wanted.

Sebastien couldn't qualify for Indy if he runs Superleague formula.

Lousada
19th March 2010, 18:38
I think Junior Stross runs Indy and Kansas with Shell funding for HVM while Sheckter has to look elsewhere.

Junior Strous is not sponsored by Shell. His father pays the bills for him and he owns a couple of Shell gasstations in The Netherlands. Sort of like Dale Coyne and Sonny's BBQ.

Also, I think Buddy Rice and Robert Doornbos are done with the IRL.

Doornbos is not done with the IRL but he has an offer to drive in Superleague Formula.

MDS
19th March 2010, 19:16
Sebastien couldn't qualify for Indy if he runs Superleague formula.

Again, if he wanted to miss a Superleague race he could. It's a matter of what he wants to do.

Chamoo
20th March 2010, 16:28
Again, if he wanted to miss a Superleague race he could. It's a matter of what he wants to do.

Sure, if he wanted to miss them, but maybe he doesn't get a contract if he doesn't drive the full season.

The odds of him competing if he runs SuperLeague Formula aren't good.

Also, I was under the impression Carl Haas wasn't doing much work these days as he is unfit to do so. Heard his wife was in charge of his share of the team.

FormerFF
21st March 2010, 13:59
The commentators were talking about Seabass last night towards the end of the Sebring telecast. Apparently he told them that he'd love to come race Indycar, but that he was a professional racing driver and would have to be paid. What I infer from that is that no paying position has been offered.

TURN3
21st March 2010, 15:18
Junior Strous is not sponsored by Shell. His father pays the bills for him and he owns a couple of Shell gasstations in The Netherlands. Sort of like Dale Coyne and Sonny's BBQ.

Not that I know any different for a fact but are you sure about that? I recall a TV telecast a couple years ago where they talked about his connection to the Shell Oil Company. I don't remember the details but he was connected through the CEO of the company who had some nice words for him and the company supporting his development. For what it is worth anyway, like I said I wouldn't know any different one way or another.

Mark in Oshawa
21st March 2010, 18:38
The commentators were talking about Seabass last night towards the end of the Sebring telecast. Apparently he told them that he'd love to come race Indycar, but that he was a professional racing driver and would have to be paid. What I infer from that is that no paying position has been offered.

Hello Sebastien...this just in. Paying rides in the IRL are rare......sadly.

Lousada
21st March 2010, 19:28
Not that I know any different for a fact but are you sure about that? I recall a TV telecast a couple years ago where they talked about his connection to the Shell Oil Company. I don't remember the details but he was connected through the CEO of the company who had some nice words for him and the company supporting his development. For what it is worth anyway, like I said I wouldn't know any different one way or another.

The Shell connection is just a front to tease other sponsors. People will see the Shell logo and think this guy must be some hotshot. Then, after a while they find out they are the ones who pay everything. Just look at his track record, does that look like someone who is promoted by a big multinational? He switches teams and series like others change their underwear.

Listen, I'm not saying that he is a fraud or that he does anything illigal.

TURN3
21st March 2010, 20:01
The Shell connection is just a front to tease other sponsors. People will see the Shell logo and think this guy must be some hotshot. Then, after a while they find out they are the ones who pay everything. Just look at his track record, does that look like someone who is promoted by a big multinational? He switches teams and series like others change their underwear.

Listen, I'm not saying that he is a fraud or that he does anything illigal.

I know you aren't saying it is a fraud, didn't take it that way. I thought you had some actual fact or something because I had remembered Shell's CEO publicly praising him and how proud they were to support him. So this is based more on your observation than any actual fact...no big deal I was just curious if you knew something different than I heard.

Dr. Krogshöj
21st March 2010, 20:45
It would be nice if Tag gave Junky a ride in a second FAZZT car.

Chamoo
21st March 2010, 21:08
It would be nice if Tag gave Junky a ride in a second FAZZT car.

It's possible, but they have said from the beginning that FAZZT Race Team was put together to bring Canadian drivers into the IRL so it is likely it will be a Canadian.

I'm not complaining though if it gets James Hinchcliffe or Daniel Morad into the ride.

Mark in Oshawa
21st March 2010, 21:09
If Tags is smart, he puts Hinch in a ride.......

Chamoo
21st March 2010, 21:40

I agree, but Morad has been rumored for a while now, and Morad has some money as well as Hinch.

Hinch needs to break into the series at some time though. We need a new Canadian to carry the flag especially for Toronto and Edmonton. With his attitude and character, he would win over the fans quickly.

Who knows, if Hinch and Morad bring money, he could put both of them in a car in reality.

Scotty G.
21st March 2010, 22:09

You mean the guy who failed to win a race last year in Lights, driving the "always near the top" #7 car for SSM?

Hinch needs to show he can succeed in Lights first, before he moves up. And he has yet to do that.

If Tags was smart, he'd hire Andrew Ranger. He is a real talent, who also has experience in Indy Cars. He has been stuck screwing around in CASCAR, with very little hopes of ever going anywhere.

Morad is a good shoe too, but lacks high speed oval experience. With Indy being a race that could be very tough to make this year and only 1 week to "get it done", those types of drivers will be at a huge disadvantage.

Mark in Oshawa
21st March 2010, 22:19
You mean the guy who failed to win a race last year in Lights, driving the "always near the top" #7 car for SSM?

Hinch needs to show he can succeed in Lights first, before he moves up. And he has yet to do that.

If Tags was smart, he'd hire Andrew Ranger. He is a real talent, who also has experience in Indy Cars. He has been stuck screwing around in CASCAR, with very little hopes of ever going anywhere.

Morad is a good shoe too, but lacks high speed oval experience. With Indy being a race that could be very tough to make this year and only 1 week to "get it done", those types of drivers will be at a huge disadvantage.

He wont put Ranger in there if Ranger wont ask Scott. Andrew has his eyes set on NASCAR. I don't disagree he would be a better fit, but with the few rides he has had in Nationwide runs down south, I suspect he might get there in that world. He is the reigning NASCAR Canadian Tire Series Champ now...so he might not want to change his focus at this point.

Hinch I think hasn't proven much in Indy Lights, but he has personality, works well with sponsors, and has driven well in Atlantics and other OW series. Young guy..personable...and the best OW driver in Canada who hasn't had a go at the IRL or Champ Car...

Lousada
21st March 2010, 22:20
I know you aren't saying it is a fraud, didn't take it that way. I thought you had some actual fact or something because I had remembered Shell's CEO publicly praising him and how proud they were to support him. So this is based more on your observation than any actual fact...no big deal I was just curious if you knew something different than I heard.

Uh, how can I prove something that doesn't excist? You "don't remember the details" yet you just consider it the truth anyhow. Just think for a minute, the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company - that spends more on sponsoring Ferrari-F1 and Audi-LMP than all the IRL teams combined are worth - is proud to sponsor some guy that is stuck in American feeder series for the past 4 years and has to skip Indy Lights races to race in the Dutch GT4 Championship. Right :rolleyes:

Please, prove me wrong and show me a connection between Shell and Junior Strous, that is not a pr-report from Strous or one of his teams.

By the way Nicky Pastorelli said the same thing as me on the Indycar broadcast in The Netherlands. They hungout a lot in the Champcar days.

Mark in Oshawa
21st March 2010, 22:21
Sad really, we had an assembly line of OW drivers in this country for a long while...and now they are sort of staganating...and we still mourn the loss of Greg Moore and remain frustrated by the stalling of Paul Tracy's career...

TURN3
22nd March 2010, 00:20
Uh, how can I prove something that doesn't excist? You "don't remember the details" yet you just consider it the truth anyhow. Just think for a minute, the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company - that spends more on sponsoring Ferrari-F1 and Audi-LMP than all the IRL teams combined are worth - is proud to sponsor some guy that is stuck in American feeder series for the past 4 years and has to skip Indy Lights races to race in the Dutch GT4 Championship. Right :rolleyes:

Please, prove me wrong and show me a connection between Shell and Junior Strous, that is not a pr-report from Strous or one of his teams.

By the way Nicky Pastorelli said the same thing as me on the Indycar broadcast in The Netherlands. They hungout a lot in the Champcar days.

I'm not trying to prove you right or wrong, I simply asked if you had some sort of facts to back up your statement. Because of the telecast I referenced, I believe his Shell sponsorship is of the personal variety much like the Red Bull or Monster guys have. You made it clear that your statements are based on your observation, speculation, but without fact. That is all I asked. I have no way of knowing if your are right or wrong, just that you are make a statement you believe in based on your speculation...calm down.

Scotty G.
22nd March 2010, 01:08
He wont put Ranger in there if Ranger wont ask Scott. Andrew has his eyes set on NASCAR. I don't disagree he would be a better fit, but with the few rides he has had in Nationwide runs down south, I suspect he might get there in that world. He is the reigning NASCAR Canadian Tire Series Champ now...so he might not want to change his focus at this point.

Ranger seems like he is destined to be a "Canadian road course ringer" in Nationwide and that's about it for his NASCAR future.

I just think it wouldn't take much prodding to get him into a Indy Car for the Indy 500 and the two Canadian races in Indy Car (which is what Tag's 2nd car is supposedly trying to do).

Ranger is 24 years old, talented, has Indy Car experience and is originally from Quebec (which I am sure means something for Tags). He seems like a natural fit. Certainly better then guys like Hinchcliffe, Morad or LaCroix at this time.

But as it is with almost everything, it will probably come down to which driver writes the best check.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd March 2010, 01:53
Ranger seems like he is destined to be a "Canadian road course ringer" in Nationwide and that's about it for his NASCAR future.

I just think it wouldn't take much prodding to get him into a Indy Car for the Indy 500 and the two Canadian races in Indy Car (which is what Tag's 2nd car is supposedly trying to do).

Ranger is 24 years old, talented, has Indy Car experience and is originally from Quebec (which I am sure means something for Tags). He seems like a natural fit. Certainly better then guys like Hinchcliffe, Morad or LaCroix at this time.

But as it is with almost everything, it will probably come down to which driver writes the best check.

Ranger I think will be seen as more than a ringer tho Scott. He won on ovals and he has had a runs at Bristol in the NW car. He ran well at Bristol as well....

I am not saying you are wrong on the check part tho, FAZZT doesn't have the do reh mi to put a guy in the car without sponsors, so if Ranger wants it and brings his sponsors or a sponsor to the party, I suspect he can swing the ride....but a lot of this depends on what Andrew wants. I am sure Tag's isn't putting all the eggs on the kid from Roxton Pond QC.

Hinchcliffe, Morad...Kyle Macelli...we are up to our ears in guys who are stalled at this OW ladder looking for a way up, and Andrew gave it up 2 years ago because he wasn't good at playing the sponsor game of OW, but he can always get sponsors to run stock cars. You have to point to the health of the series (IRL or the last days of CCWS) as part of the culprit. The sponsors will put him in a NASCAR CTS ride but not an OW ride....and there is a reason there that has nothing to do with nationality or liking one form of racing for artistic reasons over the other. It is down to where sponsors get their perceived value back, and THAT is the biggest reason why PT is sitting and Graham Rahal is struggling. Getting Corporate North American on board has been tough...

Chamoo
24th March 2010, 02:44
We can add Baguette to the confirmed 500 list.

Also, rumored Hildebrand puts together his own team for a few races plus the 500.

MDS
26th March 2010, 14:44
More from Robby Gordon per Jayski

And what about the Indianapolis 500? "I've got a commitment, but just because you have a commitment from people doesn't mean it's going to happen," Gordon said. "We'll see what happens here in the next couple of weeks."

Dr. Krogshöj
30th March 2010, 21:32
No Hinch, no Morad and no Ranger for FAZZT. Instead, they'll do the right thing and put Bruno Junqueira in their second car, the #33. Tag owed him this ride and it is simply a class move. I wish all my silly season wishes turned out like that!

http://www.fazztraceteam.com/news/2-pressreleases/293-former-indy-500-pole-winner-bruno-junqueira-to-pilot-2nd-fazzt-indy-500-entry-.html

TURN3
30th March 2010, 22:29
No Hinch, no Morad and no Ranger for FAZZT. Instead, they'll do the right thing and put Bruno Junqueira in their second car, the #33. Tag owed him this ride and it is simply a class move. I wish all my silly season wishes turned out like that!

http://www.fazztraceteam.com/news/2-pressreleases/293-former-indy-500-pole-winner-bruno-junqueira-to-pilot-2nd-fazzt-indy-500-entry-.html

Yes, x2. Very classy move Tags.

Chamoo
31st March 2010, 00:29
Yes, x2. Very classy move Tags.

Agreed. I'm surprised, but it makes very good sense that Tags does this. Tags is a class act, especially since Tags didn't really owe him this, Bachelart owed it to him.

Scotty G.
31st March 2010, 05:07
Bachelart owed it to him.

Bachelart will probably be lucky to even make the race this year.

Chamoo
31st March 2010, 15:24
Bachelart will probably be lucky to even make the race this year.

He'll probably get Romancini in. Both of his cars should had been in the field comfortably, except he screwed up with Tags strategy.

I understand the field looks and sounds like it will be more competitive this year, so I would expect Romancini to get in.

Chamoo
31st March 2010, 16:58
Just confirmed by Andretti Autosport that John Andretti will be running the fifth car at Indianapolis this year with Richard Petty as part-owner of the car. John will also run at Kansas prior to Indy as a warmup of sorts, again with AA.

The car will feature the Petty colors and Window World sponsorship.

Good news for Kansas as that was a car we weren't expecting to be on track.

ykiki
31st March 2010, 17:19
He'll probably get Romancini in. Both of his cars should had been in the field comfortably, except he screwed up with Tags strategy.

I understand the field looks and sounds like it will be more competitive this year, so I would expect Romancini to get in.

Romancini knows his way around an oval which can't hurt, having won two FIL races.

Chamoo
31st March 2010, 17:30
Romancini knows his way around an oval which can't hurt, having won two FIL races.

Agreed.

fugariracing
31st March 2010, 18:38

Definitely, his drive at Indy last year in the FIL was wicked. Drove from 18th on the grid to I believe 3rd at the finish, mostly passing cars on the outside.

Chamoo
1st April 2010, 04:57
94th Indy 500 Silly Season List (http://aowrtheotherside.blogspot.com/2010/03/i500-roundup.html)

I can see this thing hitting 38 easily, with 40 not too far out of reach if everything falls into place. Scheckter still has to land somewhere, Rahal Letterman and Hemelgarn are usually good for appearances which would get us to 41.

Honda is prepping approx. 40 engines for Indy. They must have a good feeling it will get close to that.

Scotty G.
1st April 2010, 05:06

This field will be much tougher to make then last year. And Conquest barely made it in last year.

And he won't be doing it with Tags and Bruno this year. He'll be stuck with Mario Romancini and a guy who will have driven on one oval in his life (Baguette).

2 true Indy Car rookies, at Indy, usually mean big trouble....especially when you don't have fast cars to begin with.

Scotty G.
1st April 2010, 05:24
94th Indy 500 Silly Season List (http://aowrtheotherside.blogspot.com/2010/03/i500-roundup.html)

I can see this thing hitting 38 easily, with 40 not too far out of reach if everything falls into place. Scheckter still has to land somewhere, Rahal Letterman and Hemelgarn are usually good for appearances which would get us to 41.

Honda is prepping approx. 40 engines for Indy. They must have a good feeling it will get close to that.

Good rundown, Moo.

Doing a rough estimate right now, I came up with 38 "for sures" and about 6 or 7 more that are in various of states of probability.

I think D&R will run 4 again this year. Wilson, Conweazel, Beatriz and Scheckter (who could be full-time with this team again by Kansas or Indy). Indy Car and ABC are already promoting possibly "having 5 women in the field at Indy". Beatriz has to be in a car (and she is the 5th woman they are referring to) for that to happen.

I think PDM will put something together. They have Tim Wardoup with them again and almost put a deal together last year. They live for the month of May.

The biggest questions left are:

1. Who gets the 2nd Panther seat? There WILL be a 2nd seat.

2. Will HVM run a 2nd car? (I think they would be foolish not to; preferably with a veteran driver.)

3. Where (if anywhere) does Robby Gordon end up? My hunch is, it could be with Panther. He ain't coming back, unless he's got a good chance to compete. And with Panther (2nd the past 2 years) he would have that. Plus Panther would give themselves 2 legit shots of winning the race. Which is the only reason that team even exists (or was formed in the first place).

4. Will Vision answer the bell? Hard to fathom TG and Carpenter aren't on the entry list. Ed is actually very good at Indy. He belongs in the race. Vision still has 3 race-ready cars and all the equipment they need.

5. What does RLR do? They will be at Indy with somebody. Early rumors had them running Alex Gurney at Kansas and Indy. Those have gone quiet.

6. Who and what will be left of the team formerly (and possibly still) known as 3G?

7. Derrick Walker? He's always in the mix for May. Some rumors of a partnership with Andretti to run Hildebrand (possibly even at Long Beach; which is likely why JR was testing today at Barber). Hildebrand seems confident he is going to be somewhere. And the league has been working to find him something.

When it all shakes out, I think 42 might be a very realistic number for Indy entries. Anything over 40, will make for a great month and (if they don't tear up too many cars) a fabulous bump day.

Chamoo
1st April 2010, 15:29
I think PDM will put something together. They have Tim Wardoup with them again and almost put a deal together last year. They live for the month of May.

Last I heard, PDM was trying to put something together to get a US short tracker a chance at the month of May. I hope they are able to get something together to add an American to the field.

1. Who gets the 2nd Panther seat? There WILL be a 2nd seat.

I think you're either looking at a Patron Tequila driver getting the second seat, whether it's Sharp or Pagenaud, or it will go to Robbie Gordon. The only other option I can think of is that Pippa Mann gets the second seat. Curt Cavin has been talking alot about Pippa putting something together, and she did run for Panther last year in FIL.

2. Will HVM run a 2nd car? (I think they would be foolish not to; preferably with a veteran driver.)

Unfortunately for you Scotty, I think this is where Junior Strous will end up. I know we've discussed this before, and you aren't a fan of putting Strous and De Silvestro together for Indy, but I think it's going to happen whether any of us like it or not.

I'll enjoy finally seeing Junior run some laps in the big cars.

The other option is Scheckter runs with HVM and finishes out the year with them.

3. Where (if anywhere) does Robby Gordon end up? My hunch is, it could be with Panther. He ain't coming back, unless he's got a good chance to compete. And with Panther (2nd the past 2 years) he would have that. Plus Panther would give themselves 2 legit shots of winning the race. Which is the only reason that team even exists (or was formed in the first place).

Robby Gordon is holding his hand so close to his chest I think it will be very difficult to determine where he lands before he signs a contract, if he does.

4. Will Vision answer the bell? Hard to fathom TG and Carpenter aren't on the entry list. Ed is actually very good at Indy. He belongs in the race. Vision still has 3 race-ready cars and all the equipment they need.

I think the question with Vision is, will they run Kansas and Indy, or just Indy. You have to assume that TG was able to put together a full program for Ed at Indy, but earlier on in the year, there was talk of Vision doing ovals only. Another question to ask about Vision is, will they run James Davison in a second car?

5. What does RLR do? They will be at Indy with somebody. Early rumors had them running Alex Gurney at Kansas and Indy. Those have gone quiet.

I'd expect RLR to run Oriol Servia or Gurney.

6. Who and what will be left of the team formerly (and possibly still) known as 3G?

It is still alive somehow and in some form. I expect them to show up at Indy, but I'm not sure who will pilot their car. I'm wondering if this would be a spot for Tomas Scheckter to land and finish the season off.

7. Derrick Walker? He's always in the mix for May. Some rumors of a partnership with Andretti to run Hildebrand (possibly even at Long Beach; which is likely why JR was testing today at Barber). Hildebrand seems confident he is going to be somewhere. And the league has been working to find him something.

Walker might run J.R. at Long Beach, Indy, and Sonoma with AFS as a sponsor.

MDS
1st April 2010, 21:51
I'm hearing rumors out of Charlotte that Robby Gordon's announcement might be the completely unexpected kind.

There are commitments in place but apparently nothing is signed yet.

Chris R
2nd April 2010, 02:02
I'm hearing rumors out of Charlotte that Robby Gordon's announcement might be the completely unexpected kind.

There are commitments in place but apparently nothing is signed yet.

like Robby is going to run the delta wing prototype as an honorary 34th starter????

Scotty G.
2nd April 2010, 07:06
Robbie Buhl commented tonight that they would almost assuradly only run 3 cars at Indy this year. No 4th car, it appears. Said 4 was too many last year. 3 is what they are preparing for.

Still deciding on just who that 3rd driver will be.

And I don't think Hemelgarn will answer the bell this year. But I was not counting on them as one of the potential 40-44 entries.

Scotty G.
2nd April 2010, 07:23
1. Last I heard, PDM was trying to put something together to get a US short tracker a chance at the month of May. I hope they are able to get something together to add an American to the field.

2. I think you're either looking at a Patron Tequila driver getting the second seat, whether it's Sharp or Pagenaud, or it will go to Robbie Gordon. The only other option I can think of is that Pippa Mann gets the second seat. Curt Cavin has been talking alot about Pippa putting something together, and she did run for Panther last year in FIL.

3. Unfortunately for you Scotty, I think this is where Junior Strous will end up. I know we've discussed this before, and you aren't a fan of putting Strous and De Silvestro together for Indy, but I think it's going to happen whether any of us like it or not.

4. The other option is Scheckter runs with HVM and finishes out the year with them.

5. I'd expect RLR to run Oriol Servia or Gurney.

6. It is still alive somehow and in some form. I expect them to show up at Indy, but I'm not sure who will pilot their car. I'm wondering if this would be a spot for Tomas Scheckter to land and finish the season off.

7. Walker might run J.R. at Long Beach, Indy, and Sonoma with AFS as a sponsor.

1. I think we may see PDM this year at Indy, in some form. They have a team together for Lights, with Tim Wardoup engineering and most of their regular guys on a car.

2. Pippa Mann is not ready for Indy Cars. And might never be ready. I would hope Indy Lights is all she drives this year.

3. No, I think this would be a HUGE mistake. Wiggins has a potential star in Simona. She has impressed just about EVERYONE so far. But she will need help on ovals. Even she knows that. Indy will be a TALL order for her. She is not going to be in one of the faster cars (more then likely). This seems like a perfect spot for Scheckter to land in the 2nd car. Or Buddy Rice (who has run with Milka, Sarah and Danica, so might as well add Sim to the list). Putting a loose cannon like Strous in a 2nd car, would be a disaster waiting to happen. He isn't ready for Indy either. I think if HVM runs a 2nd car (which I think they will), it HAS to be a Indy Car or Indy 500 veteran.

Putting another very young or inexpereinced driver in a 2nd car, could end up putting a big speed bump in Simona's development. It won't do anyone any good, if she is watching the Indy 500 from a suite.

4. Could certainly see that.

5. Agreed. I think if its Gurney, they would run him at Kansas too.

6. Have heard a bunch of different names and a bunch of different scenarios with this bunch. This literally could go down to early May, before we know for sure.

7. Very well could happen. I think JR is waiting on what RHR's schedule will finally look like. I kinda think his deal is already basically done. RHR is not scheduled to run Long Beach, so it would not stretch Andretti's team (and this would likely, if it happens, be a joint Walker/Andretti effort) at all. John Andretti will use Andretti's Lights crew at Kansas and Indy, BTW. The engineer will be the same guy he worked with at Panther a few years ago.

fugariracing
5th April 2010, 05:50
I highly doubt there will be any ALMS-related drivers this year. The series races at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in a 6-hr race on pole day (Saturday 21st) and they would have no practice time during the week in whichever car they would be in, plus have to qualify on bump day on Sunday. Sharp is busy with running his Extreme Speed Motorsports team and as talented as Pagenaud is, he has never been in one of the Dallaras and would be thrown in at the deep end.

Gurney's doubtful too if RLR tosses their hat in the ring. Rolex Series has a race weekend May 28-31 at Lime Rock Park, that includes the 500. Servia makes more sense there if RLR goes.

Even if PDM enters, they have entered in the past (most recently 2008, but didn't run), and really been behind the eight ball. They last ran in '07 with a Panoz and Jimmy Kite, with no chance of qualifying. They signed a USAC driver Lucas Wolfe to race for them in Indy Lights this year, but they were not at either Barber test or St. Pete.

Scotty G.
5th April 2010, 15:15
They signed a USAC driver Lucas Wolfe to race for them in Indy Lights this year, but they were not at either Barber test or St. Pete.

PDM is running a Lights car, for Brazilian no-talent Rodrigo Barbosa.

Chamoo
5th April 2010, 16:31

Most likely couldn't get a program together for him in Lights. Hopefully there is still plans for him at Indy.

fugariracing
5th April 2010, 17:45

Ah forgot about him. Thanks. I remember they were looking to run that USAC driver but must have fallen through.

Lousada
8th April 2010, 18:11
Ed Carpenter in the second Panther seat in a Vision/Panther cooperation.
More info: http://www.visionracing.com/

Scotty G.
12th April 2010, 15:37
According to Cavin today, there have been 40 official entries filed for Indy.

He says there may be one more (he likely counting Rahal with either NHL or a possible SFR 3rd car as the 41st car) but I think there could be 2 or 3 more.

-HVM is still possible to enter a 2nd car
-PDM is possible to enter a car
-A surprise team, that nobody has talked about, is still possible (believe me)

According to Cavin, Jaques Lazier will be in a 3rd car for Foyt. Gary Peterson will enter a car (likely in conjunction with Derrick Walker). This is the JR Hildebrand car for Indy. Rahal/Letterman and 3G haven't named drivers yet. The thinking is, that RLR could run Graham if the NHL stuff never gets off the ground and SFR is not capable of running a 3rd car.

Hemelgarn will not participate in 2010.

I think 41 will be the minimum number, with still a possibility for 42 or 43. And I think all will be full-month deals.

MDS
12th April 2010, 20:04
So here's my take on what's going on. I talked with a number of people at Barber this weekend and don't believe we'll see any major surprises.

06 Hideki Mutoh Newman Haas Lanigan Panasonic
2 Rafael Matos LCR/GDR HP/Airforce
3 Helio Castroneves Team Penske
4 Dan Wheldon Panther Racing National Guard (Camo Scheme)
5 Takumo Sato KVRT Lotus (R)
6 Ryan Briscoe Team Penske
7 Danica Patrick Andretti Autosport Go Daddy
8 E.J. Viso KVRT PDVSA
9 Scott Dixon Target Chip Ganassi Racing
10 Dario Franchitti Target Chip Ganassi Racing
11Tony Kanaan Andretti Autosport 7-11
12 Will Power Penske Racing Verizon Wireless
14 Vitor Meira AJFE ABC
15 Paul Tracy KVRT Gieco
17 Graham Rahal Rahal Letterman Racing
18 Milka Duno Dale Coyne Racing Citgo
19 Alex Lloyd Dale Coyne Racing Boy Scouts of America
20 Ed Carpenter Vision Racing/Panther Racing
21 Davey Hamilton LDR/GDR HP
22 Justin Wilson Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Z-Line Designs
23 Ana Beatriz Dreyer & Reinbold Racing (R)
24 Mike Conway Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Dad's Rootbeer
26 Marco Andretti Andretti Autosport Venom Energy Drink
27 J.R. Hildebrand AFS/Andretti Autosport AFS Sprinklers
29 Sebastian Savvadra Bryan Herta Autosport WilliamRast (R)
32 Mario Moraes KVRT
33 Bruno Junqueira, FAZZT Racing
34 Mario Romancinni Conquest Racing H2G0? (R)
36 Bertrand Baguette Conquest Racing (R)
37 Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti Autosport IZOD
41 AJ Foyt IV AJFE
43 John Andretti Andretti Autosport
55 Robby Gordon Gordon/Walker Racing Monster Energy
66 Jay Howard Sarah Fisher Racing Tire Kingdom
67 Sarah Fisher Sarah Fisher Racing Dollar General
77 Alex Tagliani FAZZT Racing
78 Simona De Silvestro HVM Racing (R)
99 Townsend Bell Sam Shmidt Racing

That puts us to 38, with another possible cars from HVM for Junior Strouss, Team 3G/Tsunami, Rahal going back to NHL, and weird rumors of a third Foyt Car. I'm come of the opinion that we won't get past 40, because the idea of some small team trying to work its way into a field this competitive will probably cause a few teams to evaporate before getting to the paddock.

Scotty G.
13th April 2010, 05:40
I'm come of the opinion that we won't get past 40, because the idea of some small team trying to work its way into a field this competitive will probably cause a few teams to evaporate before getting to the paddock.

With a shortened month and only 2 qual days, all it could take is a few crashes to help those "smaller teams" make the race.

Plus teams like Conquest (with 2 VERY green oval drivers and slow cars to begin with), Coyne (with Milka) and HVM (with another VERY green oval driver and a team that has been near the back the past 2 years) aren't going to be that tough to out-gun anyway for a "small" team. They are "low hanging fruit" as some people say. Add those 5-6 cars, with a few others that could have wall bangers, and all of a sudden, the path opens up.

Small teams have always taken their shot at Indy, when the odds weren't in their favor. There were always over 40 cars at Indy through the 70's, 80's and most of the 90's, and the little teams still showed up and tried. That is Indy.

If 40 engine leases have been bought and paid for as of today (which IS the case), then they won't back out now.

MDS
13th April 2010, 16:01
Those hopeful that Casey Mears might find his way to Indy this May got a little shot in the arm, by way of Keyed Up having some financial difficulty. Per Jayski:

Keyed-Up cutting back schedule: Keyed-Up Motorsports announced that it will be reducing its schedule for the remainder of the 2010 season. The team has scaled back on crew members and those who remain will be prepping cars for the limited schedule. The team will continue its efforts in securing a sponsor and will not start and park for funding. "I set out with this team to race, not start and park", said Key. "However, a reduced schedule will allow us to continue operations and focus our time on specific aspects of racing to make us stronger when we return to the track". Doug Richert remains at the helm as crew chief and will continue to lead operations. There is no set schedule for the remainder of the season as some potential sponsors could change what is tentative for the team however the #90 will not be participating at Texas next week.

The thought has always been that Casey might be interested in coming to Indy if the right ride opened up, and now that his back of the pack team is looking like it may fold hopefully some smart team owner will reach out and get him into the 500.

NickFalzone
14th April 2010, 03:42
Those hopeful that Casey Mears might find his way to Indy this May got a little shot in the arm, by way of Keyed Up having some financial difficulty. Per Jayski:

The thought has always been that Casey might be interested in coming to Indy if the right ride opened up, and now that his back of the pack team is looking like it may fold hopefully some smart team owner will reach out and get him into the 500.

One would think Penske's a possibility... then again, with 3 drivers currently, Roger probably is gonna nix that. On the other hand, Luzco Dragon...?

Chamoo
14th April 2010, 13:39
One would think Penske's a possibility... then again, with 3 drivers currently, Roger probably is gonna nix that. On the other hand, Luzco Dragon...?

Possible, they are already running an extra car for Davey Hamilton, but it is a possibility.

fugariracing
14th April 2010, 18:53
Those hopeful that Casey Mears might find his way to Indy this May got a little shot in the arm, by way of Keyed Up having some financial difficulty.

More chance this year than not, but he I believe is backing up Denny Hamlin's injuries at Gibbs in Cup.

MDS
18th April 2010, 17:09
nothing unexpected, but PT announced he'll be in the 500 with Gieco Saturday at Long Beach.

MDS
20th April 2010, 18:26
Keyed Up will be at Charlotte with Scott Riggs, and it looks like Casey Mears won't get into the JGR car seeing how Denny Hamlin just won at Texas.

It looks like Casey is out of a ride, and there are some seats out there for the 500 that should be competitive. There's been some talk that Casey is talking to his old car owner Chip about the possibility of getting into one of the Target T-Cars after pole day.

GRW1983
21st April 2010, 20:51
So here's my take on what's going on. I talked with a number of people at Barber this weekend and don't believe we'll see any major surprises.

06 Hideki Mutoh Newman Haas Lanigan Panasonic
2 Rafael Matos LCR/GDR HP/Airforce
3 Helio Castroneves Team Penske
4 Dan Wheldon Panther Racing National Guard (Camo Scheme)
5 Takumo Sato KVRT Lotus (R)
6 Ryan Briscoe Team Penske
7 Danica Patrick Andretti Autosport Go Daddy
8 E.J. Viso KVRT PDVSA
9 Scott Dixon Target Chip Ganassi Racing
10 Dario Franchitti Target Chip Ganassi Racing
11Tony Kanaan Andretti Autosport 7-11
12 Will Power Penske Racing Verizon Wireless
14 Vitor Meira AJFE ABC
15 Paul Tracy KVRT Gieco
17 Graham Rahal Rahal Letterman Racing
18 Milka Duno Dale Coyne Racing Citgo
19 Alex Lloyd Dale Coyne Racing Boy Scouts of America
20 Ed Carpenter Vision Racing/Panther Racing
21 Davey Hamilton LDR/GDR HP
22 Justin Wilson Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Z-Line Designs
23 Ana Beatriz Dreyer & Reinbold Racing (R)
24 Mike Conway Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Dad's Rootbeer
26 Marco Andretti Andretti Autosport Venom Energy Drink
27 J.R. Hildebrand AFS/Andretti Autosport AFS Sprinklers
29 Sebastian Savvadra Bryan Herta Autosport WilliamRast (R)
32 Mario Moraes KVRT
33 Bruno Junqueira, FAZZT Racing
34 Mario Romancinni Conquest Racing H2G0? (R)
36 Bertrand Baguette Conquest Racing (R)
37 Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti Autosport IZOD
41 AJ Foyt IV AJFE
43 John Andretti Andretti Autosport
55 Robby Gordon Gordon/Walker Racing Monster Energy
66 Jay Howard Sarah Fisher Racing Tire Kingdom
67 Sarah Fisher Sarah Fisher Racing Dollar General
77 Alex Tagliani FAZZT Racing
78 Simona De Silvestro HVM Racing (R)
99 Townsend Bell Sam Shmidt Racing

That puts us to 38, with another possible cars from HVM for Junior Strouss, Team 3G/Tsunami, Rahal going back to NHL, and weird rumors of a third Foyt Car. I'm come of the opinion that we won't get past 40, because the idea of some small team trying to work its way into a field this competitive will probably cause a few teams to evaporate before getting to the paddock.

Well the entry list is out (according to Curt Cavin). As it stands, there are 40 official entries with a total of 78 cars. 34 drivers have been confirmed so far. The six seats that remain TBA are two D&R cars #23&#25, Team 3G#98, Foyt (3rd car)#16, AFS#27 and Rahal-Letterman#17. The only two entries that do not have a back-up car are AFS and Bryan Herta Autosport. NO sign of Robby Gordon as was strongly rumoured???
Going off rumours thus far, I expect Ana Beatriz and Tomas Scheckter to land in the two D&R seats, Richard Antinucci for Team 3G, Jacques Lazier for Foyt, J.R.Hildebrand for AFS and Graham Rahal for RLR. I guess we'll soon find out past Kansas.

GRW1983
22nd April 2010, 18:56
Make that 35 out of 40 as Tomas Scheckter had landed the drive in the #23 D&R car with MonaVie sponsorship. Only 5 seats to fill.

TURN3
25th April 2010, 23:12
I see on AR1's rumor page that Rahal mike very well be sitting out the 500!!!! As crazy as it is that he isn't in a full-time gig for the season, this is just even crazier. I applaud him for not wanting to use his dad (cough, Marco) but to run this race without THE brightest and most talent young American star is absolutely ludicrous. All that has me feeling good about Indycar so far this year is being lost in this situation (plus RHR not being secure as of yet for a full-time gig). I'm not a Rahal "fan" but the kid needs to be in a top level car, NOW. This is ridiculous and just adds to the fact PT has been out FT now for a 3rd straight year and is arguably the 2nd biggest attraction next to the Brand. At least he'll be at Indy +.

Scotty G.
25th April 2010, 23:48
1. I see on AR1's rumor page that Rahal mike very well be sitting out the 500!!!!

2. ...but to run this race without THE brightest and most talent young American star is absolutely ludicrous.

1. NO chance this happens. This is called "negotiating". If everything else falls through, Graham will run with his dad's team.

2. Is he really the "brightest and most talented young American"? What has he actually done in Champ Car and then Indy Car? I like Graham and I am sure he has a bright future, but everybody seems to want to annoint him the next big thing, and his results don't exactly back that up. I think JR Hildebrand is better and John Edwards might very well be as well. Graham has had 2 shots with good teams at Indy and hasn't even come close to finishing let alone contending. Let him actually get to the checkards once in the only race that truly matters in this sport, before we turn him into AJ, Mears or Michael.

TURN3
26th April 2010, 00:35
1. NO chance this happens. This is called "negotiating". If everything else falls through, Graham will run with his dad's team.

2. Is he really the "brightest and most talented young American"? What has he actually done in Champ Car and then Indy Car? I like Graham and I am sure he has a bright future, but everybody seems to want to annoint him the next big thing, and his results don't exactly back that up. I think JR Hildebrand is better and John Edwards might very well be as well. Graham has had 2 shots with good teams at Indy and hasn't even come close to finishing let alone contending. Let him actually get to the checkards once in the only race that truly matters in this sport, before we turn him into AJ, Mears or Michael.

Well Scotty, pretty much everybody on the planet agrees that he is the most talented American open wheel star. You forget that he had 1 year in a champ car before the merger and NHL came on pretty strong in only their 2nd year. It was he, in only his 3rd year in the big leagues the LED NHL to comparisons of being part of the BIG 3 last year. If not for being taken out in a few street races last year, he finishes 5th in the championship and clearly was the "best of the rest". Instead he ended up a close 6th or 7th with several DNF's not of his own doing. He did win his first ever race in a Dallara. Nobody is annointing him as anything but his potential is universally recognized to be superior to any other option (i.e. Marco, Danica, etc.). You discredit him yet the drivers YOU think are better haven't even turned a wheel? Come on, use some common sense in your analogy.

I do agree though, there is NO WAY he isn't in a ride at Indy. I just can't believe he wouldn't be.

vintage
26th April 2010, 00:46
i think "everybody" agrees he is A young talented American open wheel driver - not THE MOST talented. I'm not convinced he's the best, and he's no more of a "star" than Marco. One reason they have gotten so much attention is their last names. They have both had the best equipment and engineering money can buy, and both have shown flashes of promise.

TURN3
26th April 2010, 01:26
i think "everybody" agrees he is A young talented American open wheel driver - not THE MOST talented. I'm not convinced he's the best, and he's no more of a "star" than Marco. One reason they have gotten so much attention is their last names. They have both had the best equipment and engineering money can buy, and both have shown flashes of promise.

With Marco making a bit of a comeback so far this year, I'd say you have a good point. Still though, not sure Rahal coming over from ChampCar to Indycar allowed him to have "the best" equipment catagory. Certainly NHL (was) of the elite but there was the transition year that can hardly be counted against anybody on the team. Last year would be the best judgement in my opinion and he and NHL did quite well accordingly.

Chris R
26th April 2010, 01:59
I think that Rahal has had the "best of the rest" equipment in indycar - not "the best"...

Scotty G.
26th April 2010, 03:41
Nobody is annointing him as anything but his potential is universally recognized to be superior to any other option (i.e. Marco, Danica, etc.). You discredit him yet the drivers YOU think are better haven't even turned a wheel? Come on, use some common sense in your analogy.

I am not discrediting him at all. I think he does have a lot of talent. But he also hasn't truly accomplished a lot yet either.

He's been to Indy twice. And has finished in the 30's in both races. That is not something that legends are made of. And both mistakes that took him out were 100% his fault.

Robin Miller has been the main one "annointing" him. He acts like this kid is the next Jeff Gordon of NASCAR or the next Michael Andretti of Indy Cars. So far, the results on the track, don't really back that up. He's won one fewer race then Ryan Hunter-Reay now. And just as many as Marco and Princess.

Is he any more talented then JR Hildebrand or John Edwards or Patrick Long or Conor Daly or Chad Boat? Don't know. If all of those drivers were in Indy Cars in the next few years (like they all SHOULD be) maybe we will find out. ;)

Is he a more talented young American race driver then Justin Allgaier, James Buescher, Colin Braun, Parker Kligerman and Joey Logano?

I just think we need to cool all the Graham Rahal talk for a while. Let him be great, without all the incessent hype that could only be too much for him to live up to. Of course he should be in the series and its a crime he and so many other REAL talents are not. But one of these days, he's going to have to start showing more then "promise" or "potential" in these races and become the star guys like Miller want him to be.

MDS
5th May 2010, 03:09
Barry Green to join KVRT to be the strategist for Paul Tracy... He's also been rumored as one of the potential buyers for NHR

http://kvracingtechnology.homestead.com/2010/2010_news_rd6_indy_extra1.html

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (May 4, 2010) - - KV Racing Technology announced today that former Indianapolis 500-winning car owner Barry Green has joined the team to assist on Paul Tracy’s No. 15 GEICO – KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone entry in this year’s Indianapolis 500 Mile Race, set for Sunday, May 30.

Green, whose team won the 1995 Indy 500 with Jacques Villeneuve driving, returns to the famed Brickyard to work with Tracy as the race strategist for the GEICO – KVRT operation.

Green and Tracy come back together at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the first time since the controversial 2002 Indy 500 finish when Tracy was awarded second place in the No 26 Team Kool Green car. In the 2002 event, Green and Tracy protested the finish as they felt Tracy had passed leader Helio Castroneves in turn three on lap 198 before the caution lights were lit for a turn two crash. Green’s organization filed a written protest that was heard by a special committee. On July 2, the committee announced the protest was disallowed with Castroneves retaining the win.