PDA

View Full Version : Talladega test with new spoiler...

Mark in Oshawa
17th March 2010, 18:37
A friend of mine was listening to the Alex Hayden/Buddy Baker show on Sirius NASCAR 128 last night, and it was reported that Jr. hit 214mph on the straights.....interesting...I suspect a smaller plate may hit the teams when they get there. Either that, or NASCAR will roll the dice...but that is the highest speed seen at Dega since the plates were brought in.

Anyone have more information?

slorydn1
17th March 2010, 20:45
A friend of mine was listening to the Alex Hayden/Buddy Baker show on Sirius NASCAR 128 last night, and it was reported that Jr. hit 214mph on the straights.....interesting...I suspect a smaller plate may hit the teams when they get there. Either that, or NASCAR will roll the dice...but that is the highest speed seen at Dega since the plates were brought in.

Anyone have more information?

Ray Dunlap reported on last nite's Race Hub that it was 211mph.

Nascar had started the session with a 1 1/32 inch plate and worked their way down to a 31/32 inch plate, with which the fastest drafting speed was 196 with single car runs in the high 180's. For comparison the plate at Daytona was 63/64 inch.

What I find interesting,and actually had me in a <smack> "WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?!?!?!?!" moment....

They actually were TRIMMING the spoiler DOWN at the same time they were lowering the plate size.

"WOULDN'T THAT MAKE THE CAR FASTER AGAIN?"

Well, ahem....yes,AND no!

It would make the car FASTER by itself, yes, but would LOWER the closing rate because the car in front wouldn't be punching as big a hole in the air!

Sounds to me that they may have found the package after all

Mark in Oshawa
17th March 2010, 22:59
Ray Dunlap reported on last nite's Race Hub that it was 211mph.

Nascar had started the session with a 1 1/32 inch plate and worked their way down to a 31/32 inch plate, with which the fastest drafting speed was 196 with single car runs in the high 180's. For comparison the plate at Daytona was 63/64 inch.

What I find interesting,and actually had me in a <smack> "WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?!?!?!?!" moment....

They actually were TRIMMING the spoiler DOWN at the same time they were lowering the plate size.

"WOULDN'T THAT MAKE THE CAR FASTER AGAIN?"

Well, ahem....yes,AND no!

It would make the car FASTER by itself, yes, but would LOWER the closing rate because the car in front wouldn't be punching as big a hole in the air!

Sounds to me that they may have found the package after all

Sounds like there is alot more going on at the NASCAR R and D center other than just how to homogenize everything. A little bit of engineering was going on, and it seems they have figured a way to put some driveability back into plate racing.

71Fan
20th March 2010, 03:46
Larry Mac said today on TV that they are looking under the back at ways to keep the cars from having to get clearance from the FAA prior to take off.