PDA

View Full Version : Premature Conclusions!

maximilian
14th March 2010, 01:27
Please consider the title of this thread, and notice my tongue is firmly in cheek!! :D

1. Sebastian Vettel will win the WDC. This is HIS year!

2. Ferrari will win the WCC. Massa/Alonso is an awesome combo, but neither can beat Vettel, alas Webber won't score enough to give RedBull the double.

3. Button made a HUGE mistake coming to McLaren and having to face off with Hamilton. Hamilton will demolish Jenson all year, but not challenge for the title.

4. Schumacher's comeback will be a failure. He doesn't like the understeering car, and Rosberg will beat him this year - prompting the old master to retire after this season. Rosberg is the REAL DEAL! A legend in the making.

5. Force India will score points regularly this season and be the best of the rest, but Liuzzi will be dumped for diResta. He's clearly slower than Sutil.

6. Alguersuari STILL doesn't deserve the ride. All that testing mileage, and he's still slow.

7. The new teams will bring up the rear of the field for most of 2010 with no realistic chance of beating any of the established teams. None of them will score a point, unless there is some unimaginable carnage during a race. Even then, Virgin and Hispania look far from being able to finish races at this point. Trulli's and Kovalainen's careers are over. DiGrassi won't make an impact against Glock this year, and be replaced too.

8. Karun Chandhok is amazing, being less than 2 seconds behind Senna on even just 7 installation laps. This guy is going places!

9. Webber will lose his RedBull seat for 2011, since he is clearly not keeping up with Vettel.

10. Petrov is the next Alguersuari.

11. This is Barrichello's last season. He's got his hands full with Hülkenberg, and losing to him won't make him look good enough to add another year.

12. Kobayashi was a flash in the pan, and he'll fade away, getting beaten by a senior citizen on comeback.

13. Kubica is going to have exactly the same kind of year he had last year at BMW.

Once again, I am being deliberately premature, just for fun! :D

woody2goody
14th March 2010, 02:20
Some good observations there mate :D

I wonder if the press have already bitten on any of these after quali?

I agree that Chandhok did a hell of a job though. But I disagree with your Barrichello thing, because Rubinho beat Hulk fairly easily today in the end.

slorydn1
14th March 2010, 02:54
Please consider the title of this thread, and notice my tongue is firmly in cheek!! :D

2. Ferrari will win the WCC. Massa/Alonso is an awesome combo, but neither can beat Vettel, alas Webber won't score enough to give RedBull the double.

3. Button made a HUGE mistake coming to McLaren and having to face off with Hamilton. Hamilton will demolish Jenson all year, but not challenge for the title.

4. Schumacher's comeback will be a failure. He doesn't like the understeering car, and Rosberg will beat him this year - prompting the old master to retire after this season. Rosberg is the REAL DEAL! A legend in the making.

5. Force India will score points regularly this season and be the best of the rest, but Liuzzi will be dumped for diResta. He's clearly slower than Sutil.

6. Alguersuari STILL doesn't deserve the ride. All that testing mileage, and he's still slow.

7. The new teams will bring up the rear of the field for most of 2010 with no realistic chance of beating any of the established teams. None of them will score a point, unless there is some unimaginable carnage during a race. Even then, Virgin and Hispania look far from being able to finish races at this point. Trulli's and Kovalainen's careers are over. DiGrassi won't make an impact against Glock this year, and be replaced too.

8. Karun Chandhok is amazing, being less than 2 seconds behind Senna on even just 7 installation laps. This guy is going places!

9. Webber will lose his RedBull seat for 2011, since he is clearly not keeping up with Vettel.

11. This is Barrichello's last season. He's got his hands full with Hülkenberg, and losing to him won't make him look good enough to add another year.

12. Kobayashi was a flash in the pan, and he'll fade away, getting beaten by a senior citizen on comeback.

13. Kubica is going to have exactly the same kind of year he had last year at BMW.

Once again, I am being deliberately premature, just for fun! :D

I really cant find much to quibble with here except for 11...I think Barrichello will drive for as long as he likes, if for no other reason than the amount of respect people in the paddock have for him....It may not be the best seat in the paddock, but he'll have a drive for as long as he wants one, Imo

52Paddy
14th March 2010, 16:43

Just a few contrasts of opinion.

1. I think Alonso has as much a chance of getting a third title but I expect it to be close between him and Vettel all season long.

11. I don't think Barrichello has his hands full just yet. But if he doesn't beat Hulkenberg considerably then I do expect him to be fighting for a seat at a good midfield team at least - but if he wants to stay, I'm sure he'll end up somewhere.

12. I still think Kobayashi has pace but Sauber have given us an unfair belief from winter testing that their car is fast. It's plainly not.

13. I think Kubica will have a much better year than last. Renault don't have a great car but I expect him to ring the neck off it and produce the best out of it, even if, on paper, it doesn't look impressive.

ioan
14th March 2010, 17:47
Rosberg is the REAL DEAL! A legend in the making.

Good joke! :D

F1boat
14th March 2010, 18:13
I still think that it is very, very early to make any predictions. But Ferrari are looking good, I have to say, the RBR is very competitive, McLaren should not be discounted and who knows what Mercedes GP can do?

havk
14th March 2010, 20:50
interesting conclusion, some my remarks:

1. Vettel is really impressive, favourite to the title, but I expect Alonso to fight with him till the end of the season

3. I think Button will improve race after race but still Hamilton will be better but I'm not sure if he "destroy" Jenson. McLaren probably can't match Red Bull and Ferrari so weak chances for Hamilton for the title.

4. Schumacher showed that he can adapt to every circumstances so he will be very strong. Rosberg may beat him but IMO the difference in scored points at the end of the season will be very small between them.

7. I bet Lotus and Virgin will score some points. 1, maybe 2 or 3... In the past even Minardi managed to score points from time to time and it was time when poins was given to top 6.

9. If Kimi decides to return to F1 probably yes, if not, Webber could be strong no 2. In last year he wasn't very away from Vettel.

10. Maybe, but it's too early to ultimate conclusion. Yes, I know it's topic about premature conclusion ;-)

11. Probably last season, I think he would not like to waste time by finishing races about 10 th place.. But who knows.

13. Agree with 52Paddy - I think it will be much better season for Kubica, I bet he will end season on 6-9 place (in 2009 he was 14 th).

Langdale Forest
14th March 2010, 21:00
One thing that will not happen this year is for HRT to win a race.
Massa will probably become champion by luck, and not by pace alone.

Theese are just 2 of my bizarre predictions, nothing important. :)

And BTW, I can imagine Kimi getting fed up of th WRC and returning to F1.

52Paddy
15th March 2010, 00:22
And BTW, I can imagine Kimi getting fed up of th WRC and returning to F1.

I can't. His persona didn't seem to suit F1. With rallying, he appears to have his feet more on the ground and, even though he is struggling to impress so far, I think he is happier doing rallying. If he stops rallying, I doubt he'll be wanting to come back to F1.

maximilian
15th March 2010, 00:35
I can't. His persona didn't seem to suit F1. With rallying, he appears to have his feet more on the ground and, even though he is struggling to impress so far, I think he is happier doing rallying. If he stops rallying, I doubt he'll be wanting to come back to F1.
This is massively off-topic, but am I mistaken in saying that he has yet to complete a single rally without crashing? :p :

Dzeidzei
15th March 2010, 09:07
3. I think Button will improve race after race but still Hamilton will be better but I'm not sure if he "destroy" Jenson. McLaren probably can't match Red Bull and Ferrari so weak chances for Hamilton for the title.

I think after yesterday its safe to say that Jenson´s wdc last year was only do to superior equipment. I never liked Lewis but he showed his class yesterday. It doesnt matter if youre .5 secs slower or 3 days slower, you´ll always stay slower.

Bunsen will have absolutely zero chance of winning the 2010 title.

bluegem280
15th March 2010, 10:12
I have similar sentiment about four mercedes yesterday scored points, the cars were at close place, hamilton was just showing different class.

About optimism on Vettel he is a WDC material, but to classify this is his year will need some work on the car such as reliability issue he's facing in bahrain.

After some races, we will see this season is repetition of battle between ferrari boys and mercedes, especially hamilton, but to see Vettel takes part challenging WDC would be outstanding.

jens
15th March 2010, 17:10
Some conclusions by maximilian were clearly pre-mature and as seen, made only after qualifying. For instance, Alguersuari and Petrov are not hopeless, both were actually impressive in the race by their standards.

But my conclusion (unclear how premature) is that I still think there is no point or benefit in banning refuelling (unless Bridgestone develops artifical quickly deteriorating soft tyres like in Oz'09 to "spice up the show") and generally there are less surprises than in 2009 - no shock poles/win conteders like at Spa '09. :\

maximilian
19th November 2010, 00:16
I thought I should dig up this thread I posted at the very beginning of the season, and see how many of the premature conclusions proved to be spot-on...

>>> What can I say? I am obviously a genius!! :cool:

>>> Uhmmm. But close. Ferrari almost won one title :D And who would know that Massa has such a pathetic crap-out?

>>> Pretty much true! Hamilton is clearly the faster of the 2, and now that Jenson's #1 on the car is gone, so is a lot of the luster. It still was a better decision than staying at Brawn/Mercedes, though!

>>> What can I say? I am a genius!! :D

>>> Hmyah, so they weren't the best of the rest... but who could foresee the renaissance of Renault? Other than Renault, they were, erm... almost basically the best of the rest. And like I said, Liuzzi sucks, so if it wasn't for him, they'd have beaten Williams. And he SHOULD have been replaced with di Resta... and I hope he WILL be for 2011! :s mokin:

>>> Still fails to impress me, although he seems to at least have matched or even surpassed Buemi, but that could be more a measure of just how miserable Buemi is doing these days. In with Ricciardo!!

>>> Spot on! At least Kovalainen seems to have done himself some favors this year.

>>> Not far from the truth, at least compared to Senna he did well. We may see more of him.

>>> OK, he did keep up. And I am happy he did. Remains to be seen what happens to the seat, if the switch and/or retirement rumors are to be believed.

>>> Even though he's the "Rookie of the Year", that's pretty much spot on. Considering how much Kubica has scored in the same car, Petrov fails to impress me, despite his Alonso blockvaganza.

>>> Totally wrong, eh? I wouldn't have thought it would be Hülkenberg who gets the shaft at the end of the season...

>>> Thankfully totally wrong, too! The kid is here to stay!

>>> Wrong again. He's definitely had a pretty darn good year, all things considered.

So there you have it. Win some, lose some...

ioan
19th November 2010, 00:47
Fair enough! :)

wattoroos
19th November 2010, 06:42
still not bad predictions considering some were spot-on. i must say its better then what i would have thought, how is petrov rookie of the year??? WTF, hulkenburg impressed me more especially with brazil

jens
19th November 2010, 07:57
The right time for conclusions is after the season, one opening race clearly doesn't tell anything other than perhaps who has designed a good baseline car for a title assault and who has clearly flopped (even if they turn the season around it would be too late to fight for titles).

But I have to say that I personally did some premature conclusions this year as I happened to write off both Alonso and Vettel from the WDC fight in some periods during the course of the season.

ShiftingGears
19th November 2010, 08:21
I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the Williams-Barrichello partnership is going. I thought he would be one of the drivers least suited to Williams. But thus far, it has turned out well.

F1boat
19th November 2010, 09:10
Unfortunately for me, you were right on the most important issues - the WDC and Michael's performance.

maximilian
19th November 2010, 13:53
still not bad predictions considering some were spot-on. i must say its better then what i would have thought, how is petrov rookie of the year??? WTF, hulkenburg impressed me more especially with brazil
Yeah, I am also more impressed with Hülkenberg, but Petrov did score more than him - although probably in a MUCH better car. Actually, Kobayashi is the rookie of the year, but some will argue he wasn't a rookie, because he raced last year, albeit for just 2 races...

ioan
20th November 2010, 00:09
Yeah, I am also more impressed with Hülkenberg, but Petrov did score more than him - although probably in a MUCH better car. Actually, Kobayashi is the rookie of the year, but some will argue he wasn't a rookie, because he raced last year, albeit for just 2 races...

I would also take Kobayashi over the other two.
However Petrov showed that he can do much better than Hulkenberg when under pressure, so I'll have him over the German.

Kobayashi > Petrov > Hulkenberg

wattoroos
20th November 2010, 02:46
Yeah i totally forgot about kobayashi, but i still think hulkenburg was more consistent because petrov too often stuffed up, like spa comes to mind

ioan
20th November 2010, 12:05
Yeah i totally forgot about kobayashi, but i still think hulkenburg was more consistent because petrov too often stuffed up, like spa comes to mind

Hulkenberg did stuff it up to on a couple occasions.
Anyway, each to his own! :)