PDA

View Full Version : 2 hrs limit

race_director
13th March 2010, 06:57
Looking at the lap times with full tanks. wont the normal race duration go over 2 hrs.?

i would hate to see race stop in between .

any thoughts

christophulus
13th March 2010, 07:27
I wondered that, but it's only 49 laps. If we assume about 2 minutes for a lap on full fuel, it'll still come in under 2 hours.

Sonic
13th March 2010, 07:42
I wondered that, but it's only 49 laps. If we assume about 2 minutes for a lap on full fuel, it'll still come in under 2 hours.

Yup, it would require one hell of a long safety car period to see the race brought to a close at 2 hours.

That said, it does seem odd that other tracks - namely Singapore - are looking at shortening the lap, and therefore reduce the GP's duration, when Bahrain has added another half mile to theirs.

call_me_andrew
14th March 2010, 06:39
2 minutes a lap for 49 laps is 1 hour 38 minutes. Of course they'll get faster as the fuel burns off.

EuroTroll
14th March 2010, 07:18
That said, it does seem odd that other tracks - namely Singapore - are looking at shortening the lap, and therefore reduce the GP's duration, when Bahrain has added another half mile to theirs.

If the track length changes, so does the number of laps. (It was 57 previously in Bahrain.) I think the rule is that every race ends one lap after 300 km is reached. Except in Monaco...

call_me_andrew
14th March 2010, 07:33
The race length is defined as the smallest number of complete laps that exceeds 305 kilometers.

EuroTroll
14th March 2010, 07:40
The race length is defined as the smallest number of complete laps that exceeds 305 kilometers.

Ok. Thanks for the correction! :up:

Sonic
14th March 2010, 08:26
If the track length changes, so does the number of laps. (It was 57 previously in Bahrain.) I think the rule is that every race ends one lap after 300 km is reached. Except in Monaco...

Yes I'm aware of that. Singapore's races have run close to the 2hr limit because with a very long lap time if you have a safety car period it takes 4 mins to complete a lap so that very quickly pushes a 1h40 odd minute race towards the limit. So as I understand it they are looking to remove a section of the track to reduce lap times which whilst, as you say, will increase the number of laps should mean the GP doesn't run over the limit even if a safety car period occurs.