PDA

View Full Version : Customer vs Works team

Mark
11th March 2010, 17:21
So we have the real possibility of the 'works' Mercedes outfit being beaten by the 'customer' McLaren team. Not something you normally see. Red Bull Vs STR doesn't count, different engines.

I wonder how long Mercedes will allow themselves to be beaten by their own engines?

Firstgear
11th March 2010, 17:30
I wonder how long Mercedes will allow themselves to be beaten by their own engines?

As long as they still own part of McLaren. They do still own a portion, don't they? :confused:

Mark
11th March 2010, 17:32
I think they are looking to sell it?

CaptainRaiden
11th March 2010, 17:33
So we have the real possibility of the 'works' Mercedes outfit being beaten by the 'customer' McLaren team. Not something you normally see. Red Bull Vs STR doesn't count, different engines.

I think Red Bull pretty much handed Renault their behinds on a platter last year, using the same spec engines. :D

It'd be interesting to see though, if it's the last race of the season, and Mercedes and Mclaren are equal on points, and the Mercedes motor in the Mclaren pops. :p Probably we'll see Mclaren-Volkswagen in 2011, or maybe reunited with Porsche? ;) Or maybe they'll see how the Cosworth units perform in 2010.

I think realistically though, if there happens to be any rift developing between the two teams, maybe we could see the return of BMW as just an engine supplier to Mclaren. Those were some bloody good engines, and Mclaren-BMW sounds good.

VkmSpouge
11th March 2010, 18:37
As long as they still own part of McLaren. They do still own a portion, don't they? :confused:

They are selling it back in phases to McLaren.

So we have the real possibility of the 'works' Mercedes outfit being beaten by the 'customer' McLaren team. Not something you normally see.

Other than last year when the customer Brawn and Red Bull teams trounced the works McLaren-Mercedes and Renault teams.

christophulus
11th March 2010, 18:47
They don't have much choice, I thought McLaren had a contract for the engines for another few years? I reckon once the new engine regulations come into force (whenever that may be), McLaren will go it alone anyway.

Sonic
11th March 2010, 20:44
They don't have much choice, I thought McLaren had a contract for the engines for another few years? I reckon once the new engine regulations come into force (whenever that may be), McLaren will go it alone anyway.

Yeah, its pretty much a done deal that McLaren will become a fully independant team isn't it?

DazzlaF1
11th March 2010, 21:55
I think they are looking to sell it?

From what I remember, they sold it back to McLaren for a 6 year engine supply deal

Mark
12th March 2010, 08:23
From what I remember, they sold it back to McLaren for a 6 year engine supply deal

Will they still have to be called 'McLaren-Mercedes'? Certainly they will for this year, but what about after that?

jens
12th March 2010, 11:07
Last year the team with customer Mercedes engines (Brawn) beat the Mercedes works-team and there were no problems. I don't expect any to arise this time either. The situation might be more heated if they are tightly matched, but if one is clearly above the other, there is not much to scream about. But probably it's likely to expect McLaren start building their own engines in a few years' time. Maybe, when the new engine rules will come to forth from 2013 (?) onwards.

AndyRAC
12th March 2010, 11:11
Ah, the all German team - based in Brackley, with engines built in Brixworth.....

...since when was Northamptonshire in Germany...??? ;)

Mark
12th March 2010, 12:16
Ah, the all German team - based in Brackley, with engines built in Brixworth.....

...since when was Northamptonshire in Germany...??? ;)

Well Colone wasn't in Japan either :p

Daniel
12th March 2010, 12:22
Well Colone wasn't in Japan either :p
Cologne you ninny :p