PDA

View Full Version : Donington Park: Present day

christophulus
10th March 2010, 22:55
So I don't know if this belongs in the F1 forum as such, but as it was an ill fated attempt to snatch the GP that wrecked the track I guess it'll do.

MCN have been around the Donington track recently to see what sort of state it's in. The spectator areas are a mess, but to be honest I expected the track to be far worse. There's only a few areas that need patching up and it'll be good to go again. Here's hoping, anyway..

Don't know how to embed videos so here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDvULbnz_lk

Sonic
10th March 2010, 23:14
The track, as you say, looks largely ok with most of the damage around the coppice end of the track.

I should imagine they are most concerned with the mess of the site in general which would prevent large crowds atm and therefore any profit.

Helicon_One
10th March 2010, 23:15
There's virtually nothing planned for the Donington track this year anyway - I understand the schedule was cleared to prepare for F1, and from looking around various sites the only race weekend I see is for the BTCC in September so its not too surprising or concerning that the place is a mess when nobody is using the track for another 6 months.

wedge
11th March 2010, 00:26
How sad.

I was hoping to visit the museum but now I find it too unbearable. I seeth with anger whenever I drive past East Midlands Airport on the M1.

call_me_andrew
11th March 2010, 03:43
It still looks better than North Wilkesboro Speedway.

ArrowsFA1
11th March 2010, 08:37
Motor Sport magazine's latest podcast is online now and the guest is Damon Hill. Well worth listening to and he talks about the Silverstone/Donington situation.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk/2010/03/09/marchs-audio-podcast-with-damon-hill/

Mark
11th March 2010, 09:11
One of the UK's best tracks, looking quite sorry for itself. However I have to say, with the possible exception of drainage issues, much of the damage looks superficial, the landscaping is nothing a JCB and a load of turf couldn't fix. Although I from the looks of things the track itself will need extensive resurfacing.

If works start as soon as the weather improves - i.e. now. Then it'll be mostly done the BTCC in six months time, although there'll still be bits without grass etc. It could certainly return to a full programme of events in 2011, but that depends on getting everything fixed up this summer.