PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy PayPal e-mails

MrJan
9th March 2010, 11:36
ANyone else getting stuff like this?

Paypal Account Review Department
As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the paypal system.We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

Our system detected unusual charges to a credit card linked to your paypal account.

Reference Number: PP-259-187-991

To enable us rectify and clear errors ,you would have to re-confirm your account by clicking the link provided below.
You will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

Click here to re-confirm your account

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

Help Centre | Resolution Centre | Safety Advice
Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
Société en Commandite par Actions
Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

Seems fairly decent scamming to me, the debit card linked to my paypal account has recently had some fairly large withdrawls so when I first opened the e-mail I got quite worried. I was about to click the link when I realised that this sort of thing is fairly common so had a more detailed look back over it. If I had to point out the main failing then it would probably be that they sent it to an e-mail address which doesn't have a PayPal account :D

Also I'm not quite sure why PayPal would contact me and not my own bank who have my phone number. However I can see how people may get caught out by it as it's not one of your usual spams filled with speeling errers.

Mark
9th March 2010, 12:04
ANyone else getting stuff like this?

Seems fairly decent scamming to me, the debit card linked to my paypal account has recently had some fairly large withdrawls so when I first opened the e-mail I got quite worried. I was about to click the link when I realised that this sort of thing is fairly common so had a more detailed look back over it. If I had to point out the main failing then it would probably be that they sent it to an e-mail address which doesn't have a PayPal account :D

Also I'm not quite sure why PayPal would contact me and not my own bank who have my phone number. However I can see how people may get caught out by it as it's not one of your usual spams filled with speeling errers.

Fairly common scam. If in any doubt about this sort of thing you can always go to the website directly, i.e. NOT by clicking the email link and see if they tell you of any issues there.

Dave B
9th March 2010, 12:08
Sadly with more and more first-time users being attracted to t'internet, these scams refuse to lie down and die.

Daniel
9th March 2010, 12:11
I must admit they're getting better and better. Of course I always go to the original source to access my account but these days it takes me longer and longer to find the mistakes with these emails and I think I'm fairly good at doing that, I pity the first timers or just plain gullible people :(

Mark
9th March 2010, 12:18
I must admit they're getting better and better. Of course I always go to the original source to access my account but these days it takes me longer and longer to find the mistakes with these emails and I think I'm fairly good at doing that, I pity the first timers or just plain gullible people :(

A mouseover of the link usually reveals the truth, but sometimes they use a bit of javascript to get around that too!

Daniel
9th March 2010, 12:32
A mouseover of the link usually reveals the truth, but sometimes they use a bit of javascript to get around that too!
IE8 is quite good for anti-phishing stuff as well

Mark
9th March 2010, 12:38
It doesn't help that my bank sometimes does genuinely ring me and then asks me for security information to make sure it's me!

Dave B
9th March 2010, 12:41
It doesn't help that my bank sometimes does genuinely ring me and then asks me for security information to make sure it's me!
T-Mobile does the same: a call from a withheld number and the first questions are could you confirm your date of birth and password? Erm, no I couldn't, you could be anybody. I know it's really them but I'm darned if I'm taking the chance.

Daniel
9th March 2010, 12:46
T-Mobile does the same: a call from a withheld number and the first questions are could you confirm your date of birth and password? Erm, no I couldn't, you could be anybody. I know it's really them but I'm darned if I'm taking the chance.
To be fair though if you're not the sort of person who just shares their phone number around I suspect 99% of the time it's going to be a legit call.