PDA

View Full Version : Sauber reveals red logo and likely new name

CNR
9th March 2010, 06:25
http://www.crunchsports.com/category/Motorsports/Sauber-reveals-red-logo-and-likely-new-name-201003090034/

The new logo - the once-familiar 'S' logo in a red-coloured box and 'Sauber Motorsport' in a grey font - was included for the first time at the header of the team's media preview of the season opening Bahrain grand prix.

In the wake of former owner BMW's departure from the sport, Sauber has retained the 'BMW' in the name in order to fully benefit from the commercial rewards of the team's sixth place in the 2009 world championship.

Sonic
9th March 2010, 09:42
Such a silly rule that they had to keep the BMW name just to keep the money owed to the team! Surely they have a company account number or some such to prove they are the same entity.

V12
9th March 2010, 09:59
Common sense prevailing at last? I won't hold my breath just yet.

DazzlaF1
9th March 2010, 10:29
http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sauber.jpg

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/auto-news/formula-1-sauber-motorsport-ditches-bmw-tag-5350/

V12
9th March 2010, 16:16
I knew it was too good to be true :(

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/03/08/bmw-sauber-to-become-sauber-motorsport/

Update: Here’s what the team had to say: “Sauber Motorsport is the name of the company. The name of the team is unchanged: BMW Sauber F1 Team.” Doesn’t seem to rule out a change in the future.

UltimateDanGTR
9th March 2010, 16:25
well, at least the company name is right again.

I know here no one will be calling them BMW Sauber (id imagine) Its simply sauber again in our minds, and i hope tv commentators follow suit.

ykiki
9th March 2010, 16:48

I know here no one will be calling them BMW Sauber (id imagine) Its simply sauber again in our minds, and i hope tv commentators follow suit.

My guess is a combination of the two. The commentators will say "BMW Sauber Ferrari" when going through the starting grid, but I'd think it'll be shortened to just "Sauber" when calling the action in the middle of the race.

V12
9th March 2010, 17:00
To be fair though, many commentators do like to get all awkward and for want of a better word "commercial" on us, for whatever reason. For instance referring to them as "BMW Sauber" when to most fans it was just "BMW" from 2006-2009. I even remember occasionally the Williams-BMWs being called "BMW Williamses" and worse still, James Allen referring to the Red Bull (the car, not the team) as a "Red Bull Racing" a few times in 2005/06. And last year when the team standings would be shown on TV you would have "Brawn GP" instead of just "Brawn". Maybe I'm being a bit OCD-like but those sort of things do grate a bit.

Having said that looking at recent posts on the "BBC Coverage" thread, WRC fans have it worse(!)

[Paul King]and what's this?!?!?!?!?! Mr Jan Yeo, formerly Miguel Sanchez is posting CRITICISM of Paul King from ISC/North One on Motorsportforums.com, which is hosted by Motorsport.com, for his rubbish commentary and silly attempts at making coverage seem live when it is in fact actually many hours old which surely any idiot must realise. This will surely be a blow for the Englishman whose talent for **** commentary has wowed the likes of the BP Ultimate Castrol Abu Dhabi Tourism Commission Ford Focus RS WRC Puma World Rally Team and their arch rivals the Total Citroen Red Bull Playstation C4 WRC Rally Team![/Paul King]

I hate The Cock as much as anyone else, but if you want to hear bad commentary then watch the WRC coverage with Paul King. It really is as bad or worse as I've written above

Azumanga Davo
9th March 2010, 17:15
It's like 1994 never left us. Very classy logo, shame about the name but that's the weird world of business for you.

DazzlaF1
9th March 2010, 20:27

Aye, officially it may be different, but they'll always still be Sauber to us.

Infact even when they were called BMW, i was still calling them just Sauber

Cooper_S
9th March 2010, 21:09
They were called BMW.Williams because BMW was the title sponsor as well as the engine partner so actually they were BMW.Williams-BMW.

I personally have always called BMW.Sauber as such for that is what they were despite the easy option of shortening it to just BMW (I do wonder if McLaren-Mercedes always be shortened to just McLaren played a part in them ditching McLaren to form Mercedes GP)

Anyway I suspect BMW.Sauber-Ferrari will be called Sauber so why lose any sleep over the fact the BMW name had to be retained for financial reasons, besides the car is a BMW just as the Brawn was a Honda so personally I think having to keep the BMW for 2010 is a little apt, shame Brawn didn't carry the Honda name some were.

Rollo
9th March 2010, 23:19
Maybe they'll just find a new set of words that BMW can stand for.

TNS in the Welsh Premier League became The New Saints after Total Network Solutions pulled their sponsorship. Cue Jeff Stelling and "They'll be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight!"

Maybe BMW could stand for... Bob Marley and the Wailers :D

turismo6
10th March 2010, 03:20
Could BMW be paying to keep there name in, just in case the team goes brawn on them?

Dr. Krogshöj
10th March 2010, 08:58
They were called BMW.Williams because BMW was the title sponsor as well as the engine partner so actually they were BMW.Williams-BMW.

I personally have always called BMW.Sauber as such for that is what they were despite the easy option of shortening it to just BMW (I do wonder if McLaren-Mercedes always be shortened to just McLaren played a part in them ditching McLaren to form Mercedes GP)

Anyway I suspect BMW.Sauber-Ferrari will be called Sauber so why lose any sleep over the fact the BMW name had to be retained for financial reasons, besides the car is a BMW just as the Brawn was a Honda so personally I think having to keep the BMW for 2010 is a little apt, shame Brawn didn't carry the Honda name some were.

Bear in mind there is a distinction between "team name" and "constructor name", the latter consisting of a chassis name and an engine name. For example, the official team name of Williams is "AT&T Williams" while the constructor name is "Williams Cosworth".

The team based in Hinwil entered under the name "BMW Sauber F1 Team" for legal reasons, fair enough, but they could have filed "Sauber Ferrari" as the constructor name.

Sometimes I wonder if F1 personnel are just clueless when it comes to filling a form. For example, Mercedes GP Petronas wrote "Mercedes Benz GP Limited" as a constructor name when it is clearly the company name.

http://fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/f1releases/2010/Pages/f1_2010_entry.aspx