PDA

View Full Version : 13th slot

Sonic
6th March 2010, 08:29
Ok, so the will they, won't they, can they situation is finally over with for this tear and the 13th grid slot is open for 2011. Who should get it and why?

Superfund
Epsilon
Litespeed
Brabham
Lola
Pro Drive
USF1
Ray Mallock
Stefan GP
N Technology
Someone else
Nobody

I think that's everyone who originally had an interest in 2010.

Perhaps we can have a poll Mr Mods? Pretty please!

Hawkmoon
6th March 2010, 09:15
I'd give it to Prodrive because Richards has a proven track record in top flight motorsport management and it would probably see the Aston Martin name back in F1.

Not only that, it would annoy the hell out of all the JV fans around here and this board was at it's best when we had JV and his fans to kick around! :D

UltimateDanGTR
6th March 2010, 09:56
depends on funds. If Lola could get them, They'd be a good bet for success. Id say the same for prodrive.

Epsilon many be an interesting choice

just open up 4 slots and let 16 teams enter!

then you could have:

Lola
Prodrive
Epsilon
Stefan

that'd be my 4. will never happen though

VkmSpouge
6th March 2010, 11:10
I would like to see Lola, Prodrive or Stefan enter F1 and hopefully the FIA get rid of that silly must-use-Cosworth condition.

CNR
6th March 2010, 11:15
if any team has the money toro rosso is still up for sale

Q:new teams why not look in to 3rd cars for big budget teams

VkmSpouge
6th March 2010, 11:19
Problem is who would decide which teams would get to have the huge advantage of running a third car? Plus when looking to cut costs running a third car all year really is not going to do that.

N. Jones
6th March 2010, 12:35
I think it will be between ProDrive, Lola, and Stefan GP.

DazzlaF1
6th March 2010, 15:17
I voted Lola, hopefully if Virgin can manage to run the season on budget then it might convince them to have a go.

And I hope they do

Sonic
6th March 2010, 17:12
I too have gone for Lola for the simple reason that of all the touted teams from last year they got as far as a wind tunnel model IIRC. With stable regs it should be fairly straight forward to pick up where they left off.

N. Jones
6th March 2010, 20:25
Argh!

That is what I get for not reading the first thread! I am the one (so far) who voted nobody.

I hereby change ny vote to Prodrive. They have been ready to go for sometime and it is about time that David Richards got a chance to reenter F1.

steveaki13
6th March 2010, 21:04
I would like to see Prodrive for the Aston Link, or Lola to see an old favourite return to F1.

CNR
6th March 2010, 22:56
i do not see prodrive as a great team like some of you do
take aust v8 supercars
Ford Performance Racing only a hand full of wins
http://www.fpr.com.au/team/history/

Ford Performance Racing was established in December 2002 after Prodrive, the world’s largest independent automotive engineering company, bought Glenn Seton Racing.
The team won its second V8 Supercar round when FPR’s crew made a crucial weather call, keeping Craig Lowndes out at Phillip Island whilst others made early tyre stops. The rain FPR had anticipated came 17 laps from the finish bringing everyone in for wets. Lowndes, having not already pitted, emerged in front.

fiat could be the next step for ferrari if they can not get the 3rd car ?

Rollo
7th March 2010, 00:42
i do not see prodrive as a great team like some of you do
take aust v8 supercars
Ford Performance Racing only a hand full of wins
http://www.fpr.com.au/team/history/

The key word in this sentence is Ford.

Ford have a history not only in V8 Supercars but in Formula One and GT racing, that when they lose interest as a company, then the amount of support they give is minimal. A team that is owned by Ford is like being given a death sentence.

Think of Jaguar when Ford took full control of Stewart GP. Why even look back at Ford's Dealer Team in Australian Touring Car racing from 1980 until 1995, then tell me where Ford's commitment is?

Prodrive probably suffer from a lack of funding from Henry's lot.

Placid
7th March 2010, 09:20
I voted someone else. As in someone else to run USF1. And I do not mean Ken or Peter. I prefer Jerry Forsythe. I will even throw Andretti AutoSport.

maximilian
7th March 2010, 18:46
I would like to see Lola. They are obviously qualified as an organization, and it would mark the return of a classic racing pedigree name to the grid.

Prodrive would be up there, too, but as cool as it would be to see "Aston Martin" eventually, I fear it faces the same issues as any manufacturer team eventually... they may pull out for the same reasons others have pulled out.

After seeing recent pictures of Epsilon's facilities, I must say I am impressed. Seems like they would fit the mold!

Any of those 3 would be deserving of a spot, methinks.

Yeah, if someone like Penske, Ganassi, Forsythe or Andretti was to buy up the remains of USF1, and do it the RIGHT way, it could be a very exciting prospect, but doesn't look like there are ANY such plans out there at ALL... There simply isn't any money in the US right now.

I am evil Homer
8th March 2010, 09:19
Not N Technology that's for certain..though with their court challenge I feel those bridges have been well and truly burnt.

ArrowsFA1
8th March 2010, 09:52
I wonder...if this "franchise" system had been in place in the late 1960's would a certain Frank Williams - operating out of a phone box at times - have been allowed to enter F1.

V12
8th March 2010, 10:00
I wonder...if this "franchise" system had been in place in the late 1960's would a certain Frank Williams - operating out of a phone box at times - have been allowed to enter F1.

No.

I've made this point before when Frank was (uncharacteristically it has to be said) moaning about new teams coming in and spreading the money thinner etc.

My vote - well I'm not going to place one, my only vote would be for scrapping this system and bringing back qualifying.

jens
10th March 2010, 09:30
I voted for "someone else" as I wasn't sure, who to choose among those names and I'm looking forward to see maybe a few additional interesting applicants, who didn't apply for an F1 spot last time. Surely the talks about an insecure $40M bond, unclear set of rules and long-term perspectives, and Mosley's policy may have made several interested companies rather suspicious, while they may feel that now they could likely join a more stable F1.

Helicon_One
10th March 2010, 12:24
Yeah, if someone like Penske, Ganassi, Forsythe or Andretti was to buy up the remains of USF1, and do it the RIGHT way, it could be a very exciting prospect, but doesn't look like there are ANY such plans out there at ALL... There simply isn't any money in the US right now.

Any one of those teams could put together a very credible package (and maybe even if they ignored the USF1 trainwreck and started their own effort from the ground up) but why bother? They can make more money running NASCAR than by throwing their money down the drain in F1. Until the financial incentive is there it isn't going to happen.