PDA

View Full Version : Cup Series-Kobalt Tools 500 Racethread

slorydn1
5th March 2010, 03:27
Here we go, back to Atlanta,and back to some more traditional NASCAR country southern fried racing. I am looking forward to it as Atlanta has a history of some real close finishes.

slorydn1
5th March 2010, 18:15
Completely off topic for THIS race, but I know there are a few who are interested and I didn't want to start a whole new thread for it:

The Aussie V8's are racing in Bahrain this weekend and Speed Channel is carrying it at 2pm Eastern on Sunday. Thank God for DVR's!
:D :beer:

71Fan
6th March 2010, 02:02
Junior On The Pole!!!! First pole since Texas, race 7 of 08

I've always rooted for this kid and was really happy to see him get a shot in a quality car. Even with Hendrick, I doubt he can take a championship though if he makes The Chase, anything can happen.

And of course, young Kyle is right there with him for the start so the dive in to one is going to be a good one, as I know that Kyle will drive it in there hard cold tires or not. Juan, Mark, and Jeff round out the top 5. Junior is probably hungry as all get out to lead that first lap but like Mark and Jeff, he's not crazy enough to push the edge straight out the gate. So that leaves the craziness of Kyle against the take no prisoners attitude of Juan for the early lead, unless Jeff really likes the way his car feels. Still, I think Kyle's the only one of the five that will drive a car deep no matter how bad it feels and worry about the exit when he get's there.

So, who's going to lead lap 5? I think that depends on who leads lap one. The speed and the track make for a huge aero push disadvantage to the following cars. Anyways, I give lap 5 to whoever starts on the outside. Might be the long way around but on an almost flat-out track, Big Mo around the outside takes the day.

Gotta ask a question. Does the pole-sitter have to take the inside lane?

And as always, your opinions and mileage may vary

slorydn1
6th March 2010, 02:07
Junior On The Pole!!!! First pole since Texas, race 7 of 08

I've always rooted for this kid and was really happy to see him get a shot in a quality car. Even with Hendrick, I doubt he can take a championship though if he makes The Chase, anything can happen.

And of course, young Kyle is right there with him for the start so the dive in to one is going to be a good one, as I know that Kyle will drive it in there hard cold tires or not. Juan, Mark, and Jeff round out the top 5. Junior is probably hungry as all get out to lead that first lap but like Mark and Jeff, he's not crazy enough to push the edge straight out the gate. So that leaves the craziness of Kyle against the take no prisoners attitude of Juan for the early lead, unless Jeff really likes the way his car feels. Still, I think Kyle's the only one of the five that will drive a car deep no matter how bad it feels and worry about the exit when he get's there.

So, who's going to lead lap 5? I think that depends on who leads lap one. The speed and the track make for a huge aero push disadvantage to the following cars. Anyways, I give lap 5 to whoever starts on the outside. Might be the long way around but on an almost flat-out track, Big Mo around the outside takes the day.

Gotta ask a question. Does the pole-sitter have to take the inside lane?

And as always, your opinions and mileage may vary

The answer to your question is no, he doesn't....The pole sitter has lane choice

Mark in Oshawa
6th March 2010, 02:24
Junior still shows the flashes of brilliance he occasionally shows us all....but this getting into handling issues and finishing 15th has to stop....

71Fan
6th March 2010, 03:37
Thanks Slo....so my guess is that he will take the outside and that with the jump and Big Mo he leads at least until Kyle does a turn one dive on him. Although, if yer willing to clip the grass coming to start/finish ya might be able to get to turn one first. Hardly matters tho. The mix at the front is great.

Old Guy, Racer Guy, Prove He Still Can Guy, Crazy Guy, and Hungry Guy.

Oughts to be one heck of a start :-)

slorydn1
6th March 2010, 03:51
Thanks Slo....so my guess is that he will take the outside and that with the jump and Big Mo he leads at least until Kyle does a turn one dive on him. Although, if yer willing to clip the grass coming to start/finish ya might be able to get to turn one first. Hardly matters tho. The mix at the front is great.

Old Guy, Racer Guy, Prove He Still Can Guy, Crazy Guy, and Hungry Guy.

Oughts to be one heck of a start :-)

Amen to that!!!! :up: :beer:

Sparky1329
6th March 2010, 06:09
I'm so happy for the kid! I know his recent results haven't shown much of anything positive but he's better than he's been. My fingers are crossed for a good finish on Sunday.

Mark in Oshawa
6th March 2010, 06:49
I'm so happy for the kid! I know his recent results haven't shown much of anything positive but he's better than he's been. My fingers are crossed for a good finish on Sunday.

It has been said the sport does better when he is running up front in ratings. I don't doubt it....but I know he hasn't been worth the fuss made about him. That said, I was a fan from the first day I saw him run and win at Texas in his Dad's Busch car, and I never was a fan of his old man. Junior is authentic...and while he isn't the best driver out there, he is a good guy at heart and well liked.

71Fan
7th March 2010, 08:02
whoops....my mistake....thought Atlanta was a D. Won't be no grass clipping off of four.

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 10:44
whoops....my mistake....thought Atlanta was a D. Won't be no grass clipping off of four.

It is a D oval....Grass starts at pit-in :D

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 15:12
As a few of you know, I keep pretty detailed race notes for the races I am home to watch live. I was just looking at my notes from the fall Atlanta race. Harvick qualified p18 for that race with a 30.560 sec lap @ 181.414 mph. For this race, he was 1.229 seconds quicker (29.331 seconds) and 7.601 mph faster, yet only qualified p35... Either this tire is ALOT softer, or the temprature difference made that big a deal (even tho quals for the Pep Boys 500 was all at night so track temp wouldnt have been THAT different, even though it was summer). I'm not even looking at the pole speeds, cause my numbers are for Harvick only, but sheesh, sounds like the whole field has a much better handle on the COT

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 15:23
I guess the weather did make some of that difference. I just checked racing reference and the pole speed for THIS race last year was 187.045 mph, and for the Labor Day race it was only 184.149 mph, and this year its 192.761mph :eek:

Gotta be the Tires!!!!!!!

harvick#1
7th March 2010, 16:19
goodyear....make good tires? since when :p :

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 16:25
Just to set the picture for the race....3 cars going to the back:

14 and 39 (engine change) and 16 (Back up car). Seeing both the Stewart-Hass cars change engines has to make one wonder about the health of the Hendrick engines for this race.

Since all 3 cars that are going to the back are odd # qualifiers, harvick will start p29 (made up 6 spots and never even fired up the motor). :p :

dunes
7th March 2010, 17:34
Again I'm stuck in a place with no tv reception and hope my friends here will keep me updatred on the inner goings of the race.
It sounds as though its going to be a dicy one.
Hats off to Junior for the pole.
Yes i do have trackpass but its not the same as watching the acual race.

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 17:45
Again I'm stuck in a place with no tv reception and hope my friends here will keep me updatred on the inner goings of the race.

we'll see what we can do for ya' :up:

harvick#1
7th March 2010, 17:48

http://www.justin.tv, someone will be streaming the race online

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 18:05
Atlanta, Peachtree City-Falcon Field
Lat: 33.35 Lon: -84.56 Elev: 971
Last Update on Mar 7, 11:53 am EST

Fair

56 °F
(13 °C)
Humidity: 24 %
Wind Speed: W 6 MPH
Barometer: 30.26" (1025.1 mb)
Dewpoint: 19 °F (-7 °C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

dunes
7th March 2010, 18:05
I found as red wings vs Chicago hockey game but will look further.
Thanks again.

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 18:11
5 minutes to engine start

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 18:18
Ok lets have a good day, lets be solid in the pits.....pull those belts tight...325 laps/ 500 miles....startin to roll, green 3rd time by

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 18:24
Green Flag

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 18:25
new leader....18

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 18:27
lap 3 7 crash turn 2

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 18:36
new leader......9

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 18:38
sounds like tight is going to be the word of the day...29, 24, and 88 all report they are PLOWING

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 18:48
6 car wrecked in turn 3 cautions out

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 18:56
restart and the 12 punts the 99 into the 20...cautions out again on lap 39

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 19:08
"calling it a dumptruck would be an insult to dumptrucks...they turn better"
LOL

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 19:21
lap78 caution for debris in 2...looks like the 9 is the car to beat

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 19:26
2 car out front now has checked out...leader checking out easily

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 19:43
5 spun on front stretch after a cut tire caution at lap 115

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 19:54
2 car looking stinking up the show.....24 car is looking stout, 29 still languishing p21 (lap131)

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 20:02
phrase of the day is now "wreckin loose" both 24 and 29 complaining of that

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 20:03
new leader...the 11 (lap 147)

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 20:12
24 and 20 flat tires...24 pitted under green then sped....20 stayed out and tore up car caution out lap 158

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 20:14
with all the tire failures it begs the question....WHY DID GOODYEAR FEEL IT NECCESARY TO CHANGE THE TIRE AFTER SUCH A GOOD RACE IN THE FALL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 20:16
Halfway this time by, 11 is the leader.....going back green next time by

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 20:22
new leader........the 42 lap 172

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 20:24
new leader.....the 9 (lap 175)

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 20:33
now the 14 has cording and tire problems....whats the deal, BADYEAR

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 20:51
29 just got lapped

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 20:51
and then the debris the next lap

e2mtt
7th March 2010, 21:07
now the 14 has cording and tire problems....whats the deal, BADYEAR

Nothing wrong with Goodyear, thats some good racing out there.

What's the problem Hendricks/Hendricks satellite teams?

e2mtt
7th March 2010, 21:15
Don't look now, but I think Jimmie Johnson is going to win his third race in a row today.

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 21:54
I figured out what cut all those tires......48's lucky horseshoe fell out of his a** and cars keep running over it

e2mtt
7th March 2010, 21:56
not Jimmies day...

GO MONTOYA!

e2mtt
7th March 2010, 21:58
Carl Edwards is a dirty pathetic racer.

dunes
7th March 2010, 22:00
I know those two have a history allready this year but it appeared to me as Brad came down on Carl. Even though carl was near last he still didn't do anything wrong.IMO
Glad to see Brad turkey trot to the ambulance, Tough break.

TURN3
7th March 2010, 22:00
Carl Edwards is a dirty pathetic racer.

Holy crap (I'd like to use the s word). Carl Edwards just about put a car in the stands and he damn sure spun him on purpose. That car could've been in the crowd. I've always liked Carl but a stand needs to be made, he needs to be done for awhile. Suspend his sorry ass and teach all these jack asses a lesson. I'm in absolute shock. What would Carl have to say if that car would've went a few feet higher into the stands?

TURN3
7th March 2010, 22:02
I know those two have a history allready this year but it appeared to me as Brad came down on Carl. Even though carl was near last he still didn't do anything wrong.IMO
Glad to see Brad turkey trot to the ambulance, Tough break.

Now they've showed a replay of him trying to crash him on one lap and show him with white gloves turning RIGHT the next lap, you're free to retract your thoughtless statement.

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 22:03
big wreck 99 turned the 12 (payback) and the 12 flipped and hit the wall roof first....got out ok, ran to the ambulance

TURN3
7th March 2010, 22:03
Bye Bye Carl, won't be seeing him for awhile.

dunes
7th March 2010, 22:04
I still think Brad cut down on Carl too soon and on purpose.
So he parks the car and I'm pretty sure Brad will be awaiting his departure from his car.
Wheres the infield camera for this one.

e2mtt
7th March 2010, 22:05
Carl gets black flagged & sent to the truck. :-) That looked pretty dirty & obvious to me, especially when they showed that he missed the spin on the lap before and he was way down.

POS_Maggott
7th March 2010, 22:05
Suspend him... That was dangerous, if it were the old car, brad would have had the rollbars in the head, he's just incredibly lucky that brad didn't get hurt.

Boot him for a couple races, can't just slap him on the wrist here...

Jonesi
7th March 2010, 22:07
Bye Bye Carl, won't be seeing him for awhile.

I figure minimum +100 points, high 5 figure fine, probation to the end of the year, and maybe a week or two suspension.

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 22:07
so much for letting the drivers take care of business, they parked edwards...harvick didn't sound happy about that

dunes
7th March 2010, 22:09
WOW! Carls comments could cost him more than money.

e2mtt
7th March 2010, 22:10
You could see the gloves... Edwards made a good 1/4 turn on the wheel to the right. Plus, he missed him the lap before!

TURN3
7th March 2010, 22:11
so much for letting the drivers take care of business, they parked edwards...harvick didn't sound happy about that

I'm sure Kevin hasn't been privi to the videos and all circumstances. That has to be one of the worst things I've ever seen in racing. Granted going airborne wasn't Carl's intent but it doesn't matter...195 mph, spectators, driver safety...suspend his but for a few weeks and if Brad were me, Carl would have an a#$ kicking.

dunes
7th March 2010, 22:12
This is where GWC stinks.

Jonesi
7th March 2010, 22:15
I figured out what cut all those tires......48's lucky horseshoe fell out of his a** and cars keep running over it

No still there and it got him through that big mess.

e2mtt
7th March 2010, 22:15
Did you see Harvick & Scott Speed thread that wreck? Very nice move there, tucked nose to tail.

e2mtt
7th March 2010, 22:27
Nice win for Kurt Busch, nice for Penske.

Montoya had a bad restart, couldn't tell if he spun the tires or what. 3rd isn't bad.

Guess who got a top 10? Scott Speed... he is solid this year, 12th in the points right now!

TURN3
7th March 2010, 22:30
Nice win for Kurt Busch, nice finish for Penske.

Montoya had a bad restart, couldn't tell if he spun the tires or what. 3rd isn't bad.

Guess who got a top 10? Scott Speed... he is solid this year.

Think about this, a lot of former open wheelers in mediocre rides are starting to come on strong. Dinger had a 6th, Speed top 10...good to see. Looks like the competitive balance is spreading across a broader range this year. Penske, EG, RPM, etc...like it.

TURN3
7th March 2010, 22:33
Think about this, a lot of former open wheelers in mediocre rides are starting to come on strong. Dinger had a 6th, Speed top 10...good to see. Looks like the competitive balance is spreading across a broader range this year. Penske, EG, RPM, etc...like it.

Crap, forgot to mention Montoya in that open wheel crowd!

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 22:37
Well, 2 gwc's, that went 16 laps past distance...as for Edwards vs Kes, Nascar did the right thing by parking Edwards. But i would not be happy with any further penalty because Nascar said they were going to let the drivers take care of things, and Keslowski is a punk that has been wrecking everyone he can to get past them, several more drivers still owe him now everyone is going to be nervous about paying him back.
Nascar opened this door with their statements all winter long, can't hammer someone now, or overreact because the car went airborne.

Denny said it best last year...he was the first to pay window, now Edwards was the second

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 22:39
Yep,great day for Montoya :up:

harvick#1
7th March 2010, 22:52
Well, 2 gwc's, that went 16 laps past distance...as for Edwards vs Kes, Nascar did the right thing by parking Edwards. But i would not be happy with any further penalty because Nascar said they were going to let the drivers take care of things, and Keslowski is a punk that has been wrecking everyone he can to get past them, several more drivers still owe him now everyone is going to be nervous about paying him back.
Nascar opened this door with their statements all winter long, can't hammer someone now, or overreact because the car went airborne.

Denny said it best last year...he was the first to pay window, now Edwards was the second

cant agree more, but I believe that if the spoilers were on the car, Brad crashs into the wall backwards and not airborne. that wing has to go NOW!!!!

I still can't believe Harivck stole a 9th out of a car that wasn't in the top 20 in any speed charts.

great job for Menard, AJ, and Scott Speed

DanicaFan
What a wild finish. I was so hoping Juan Montoya would of won though.

Im glad Brad K is alright but what comes around goes around. He got his payback from flipping Carl last year at Talladega.

gloomyDAY
Damn it Montoya! Prime position for a win and he spins his tires.

Oh well, third isn't too bad, but I'm hoping JPM can pull a win.

Way to go deuce. :D

...as for Edwards vs Kes, Nascar did the right thing by parking Edwards. But i would not be happy with any further penalty because Nascar said they were going to let the drivers take care of things, and Keslowski is a punk...Yes, NASCAR made the right choice by yanking Edwards out of the race. I don't think this should go any further than a warning to the drivers.

eastlmark
just the best race i have seen in years, full of interest all the way through, shame about the final stint but anyway, restored my faith in the series managing to put on a great show.

POS_Maggott
7th March 2010, 22:55

It's obvious that you have something against Keselowski, so I'll just say this... That wasn't payback -- that was stupidity. Kevin Harvick was suspended from the Cup race in 2002 because he intentionally wrecked a driver in the truck race... at Martinsville! By almost sending a car into the grandstands, this is NOT an overreaction, if they suspended Carl. It's the correct action, especially after Carl had admitted that he was out to headhunt whenever the 12 was around.

You can't cure stupidity, but you can stifle it by showing a driver who is "taking care of it himself" who is boss.

I'm not defending anything that Keselowski has done in the past, or any driver for that matter, but when you put someones safety at risk (not only a driver, but officials and fans) then something needs to be done.

See you at Martinsville in 3 weeks Carl, sure hope we don't see you at Bristol!

What a wild finish. I was so hoping Juan Montoya would of won though.

Im glad Brad K is alright but what comes around goes around. He got his payback from flipping Carl last year at Talladega.

Again, he did nothing wrong there. What would he have done? If he goes below the yellow line, he gets a penalty and finishes 30th in that race, as per the precedent that NASCAR set with Regan Smith in 2008. A lot of people seem to be missing that point still, when it comes to that race...

Shifter
7th March 2010, 22:58
He got his payback from flipping Carl last year at Talladega.

In case you didn't actually watch that race, Carl turned down into Kez and spun himself backwards. Wouldn't have happened if Carl didn't try to block a car that already had a nose inside.

DanicaFan
7th March 2010, 23:00
In case you didn't actually watch that race, Carl turned down into Kez and spun himself backwards. Wouldn't have happened if Carl didn't try to block a car that already had a nose inside.

I did watch it. The thing that made me mad about that whole thing was the interview with Brad afterwards. He never mentioned he was glad Carl was ok and he said he did what he had to do. That is poor sportsmanship. Ever since then I dont like the kid.

Now maybe he will show some respect to the other drivers but I have my doubts.

damg75
7th March 2010, 23:01
Just MHO...if you have a problem with a driver, you take care of it OUTSIDE the racecar; ESPECIALLY on a speedway like Atlanta...and this is coming from somebody who thinks Keslowski needs a lesson or 2 taught to him.

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 23:05
Again, he did nothing wrong there. What would he have done? If he goes below the yellow line, he gets a penalty and finishes 30th in that race, as per the precedent that NASCAR set with Regan Smith in 2008. A lot of people seem to be missing that point still, when it comes to that race...

You r both right here, It had nothing to do with 'dega last year, even Carl recognizes that nothing could have been done there, its a product of that moronic yellow line rule....

slorydn1
7th March 2010, 23:09
It's obvious that you have something against Keselowski,

Other than being a punk, I don't really have anything against him, he hasn't taken my driver out, yet......... :D

He needs to learn his lesson, as Harvick needed to learn his back then.....but Nascar said they would stay out of it....Like I said, they did the right thing by parking him for the remainder of this race......but any further penalties wuld be unwarranted. We wouldn't even be having this discussion if the car stayed on the ground.

Shifter
7th March 2010, 23:12
I must admit to not watching enough Busch-series (or NW or whatever the heck they call it these days) to know what people are on about in terms of Kez causing wrecks, but today was the second time I've seen Carl slash across the nose of Kez's car in Cup, and both times Carl paid the price for it. For Carl to come out and settle his score with Kez late in the race while the leaders are battling to the finish and he and Kez are laps down is the 1st problem with what he did. The 2nd is that he put Kez backwards at high speed, and Carl of all people should know how that can wind up. No SAFER barrier could have led to a roof crushed even more and Kez could be seriously injured. A 'payback' is an art form and the best ones ruin the other guy's race and leave people wondering if it was even intentional. With the number of problems with Carl's payback today I'd be for a suspension, although that's difficult considering the number of potential Bristol ticketholders who are Carl fans.

Hoss Ghoul
7th March 2010, 23:17
Great race. Quick thoughts.

Busch and Montoya, taken out by McMurray's ineptitude at Vegas find themselves where they should have been last week.

Mcmurray is, and will alway's be non-cup worthy. Luck, and being a nice guy has earned him his wins, being a male Danica has earned his rides.

Edwards should be looking at a minimum one race suspension, no question. He should know more about racing than I, and I never would have gone for payback or a lesson on a 195mph straightaway. Just dumb. Gets what he deserves and more.

Another great Atlanta race.

Commentators embarrassed themselves not ripping Edwards.

Never would have expected Montoya to choke. Wow.

Shifter
7th March 2010, 23:21
Looks as if Busch surprised Monty by going asap and yeah JP trounced the pedal and got wheelspin.

cgs
7th March 2010, 23:54
I was surprised at Edwards, especially since I think it wasn't Brad's fault Carl was wrecked early in the race, and i'm a carl edwards fan!

but i too would be surprised if nascar gave anything more than a season-long probation for his actions, given that they said at the start of the season they would let the drivers fight it out for themselves on the track. points or financial penalties would be contradictory imo.

NickFalzone
8th March 2010, 00:02
Yeah, Montoya choked. I actually think he had a 50-50 shot at catching Busch before the first GWC he was making up so much ground.

As far as the wreck, I'd say give Edwards a 1-2 race suspension and on probation the rest of the season. Brad's done some dumb stuff on the track in the last year, but what Carl did was above and beyond any of that. He tried to wreck him the previous lap and the DW,etc. even pointed out that you could see his gloves turning the wheel towards Brad trying to wreck him. I can almost see that being just rubbing and racing if they're going for the win, but to do it when you're 100+ laps down and just want to ruin someone else's day is bad karma. And I'm glad no one got hurt, because that was a seriously banged up car, if it had hit on the driver's side I don't know if Brad would have gotten out of there.

Agreed with the others though, great race, one of the best I've seen in awhile.

patnicholls
8th March 2010, 00:26
Yep, really enjoyed that one - not seen many of these live due to sporadic UK coverage which now looks to be all sorted :up:

Great job by some of the less fancied guys today - Menard, AJ, Speed, and Regan Smith (who wasn't on it but hung in there for a solid result for a small team). A few unlucky stories too - Gilliland looked good and of course Denny Hamlin deserved better. Was hoping Juan might have got that first oval win but he messed up the final green slightly, although should still be happy with third. Decent job by Kurt and Kasey too, they looked the fastest all day really and Matt Kenseth snuck through.

Carl and Brad: I did see Talladega last year which clearly wasn't Brad's fault, ditto the contact early in this race which just plain unlucky pack racing. Although I understand that Brad has got into some trouble with Denny Hamlin (who is an entirely reasonable guy, and worth a follow on Twitter) and others in the Nationwide races so I guess there is some friction to resolve. Even so, that was an extremely boneheaded move from Edwards who should know better, not least because he's 150 laps down at the time but also at that speed down a straight. Stupid. Glad to see Brad OK and it could have been a lot worse for driver or crowd.

Anyway, great race overall :)

Hoss Ghoul
8th March 2010, 01:22
Quote of the week for the second week running goes to Montoya:

“I'm sure a lot of people wanted to pay him back,” second-place finisher Juan Pablo Montoya said of Keselowski, with whom he tangled last year. “Looking at the TV, somebody did.”

Gotta love JPM, he doesn't mince words in general, and he's a real prick when he's mad!

slorydn1
8th March 2010, 02:39
Yep, really enjoyed that one - not seen many of these live due to sporadic UK coverage which now looks to be all sorted :up:

Great job by some of the less fancied guys today - Menard, AJ, Speed, and Regan Smith (who wasn't on it but hung in there for a solid result for a small team). A few unlucky stories too - Gilliland looked good and of course Denny Hamlin deserved better. Was hoping Juan might have got that first oval win but he messed up the final green slightly, although should still be happy with third. Decent job by Kurt and Kasey too, they looked the fastest all day really and Matt Kenseth snuck through.

Carl and Brad: I did see Talladega last year which clearly wasn't Brad's fault, ditto the contact early in this race which just plain unlucky pack racing. Although I understand that Brad has got into some trouble with Denny Hamlin (who is an entirely reasonable guy, and worth a follow on Twitter) and others in the Nationwide races so I guess there is some friction to resolve. Even so, that was an extremely boneheaded move from Edwards who should know better, not least because he's 150 laps down at the time but also at that speed down a straight. Stupid. Glad to see Brad OK and it could have been a lot worse for driver or crowd.

Anyway, great race overall :)

Glad y'all got your viewership difficulties sorted......it was a great race for sure :up:

Lee Roy
8th March 2010, 05:23
Way to go Kurt. Hope you have a good run for the championship this year.

Carl, you need to sit out a few races.

Sparky1329
8th March 2010, 05:46

I'd call it six of one, half a dozen of the other. Carl's done his share of running over people in both the truck and Cup series so he has no room to talk. He's less of a punk than he used to be but the term could be applied equally from where I sit. Neither Carl nor Brad would be racing in the Cup series if they were wallflowers. Like Carl did, Brad will learn to choose his battles and practice some give-and-take on the track. Otherwise he'll be taking a few exciting rides in upcoming races.

Carl absolutely deserved the black flag and an invitation to the phone booth. It will be interesting to see how NASCAR will handle this. Carl will probably shell out a few bucks and points, get double secret probation and carry on.

Overall I thought it was the best race I've seen so far this season.

jeffmr2
8th March 2010, 13:00
I must be alone in thinking it was a poor race,ruined by goodyear again and Carls stupid actions.I actually like Carl but feel he should serve at least a two race penalty,that was the most dispicable piece of driving ive seen in a nascar race,on a par with Schumacher in F1 taking out Damon Hill intentionally to win the championship and trying to do the same to Villeneuve (but thankfully messing up). I just dont think intentionally wrecking someone should be tolerated at all.

harvick#1
8th March 2010, 22:46
Glad y'all got your viewership difficulties sorted......it was a great race for sure :up:

not for a Harvick fan for 450 miles of the race :laugh:

slorydn1
8th March 2010, 23:48
not for a Harvick fan for 450 miles of the race :laugh:

No..I was getting really irritated, they brought the california car, and not chassis 281, the one he used to DOMINATE in the fall, at one point going from p18 to a 10 second lead ON ONE FUEL RUN....

What I did enjoy was the fact that they were able to stick with it and get the car good enough to finish in the top 10, again :up:

The other action involving the other drivers was pretty cool too through out the whole race. What I find ineterseting is the problems had by every hendrick car on the grid, including the 48, and the fact the 48 was still able to salvage a decent finish out of it.

It really was a great race all the way around.

71Fan
12th March 2010, 04:07
On my Rate-The-Race Meter, it hit a 7. The only thing saving NASCAR imo at the moment are the double wide restarts. But the GWC thing will bring my rating down every time.