PDA

View Full Version : who wins the Championship....

SarahFan
3rd March 2010, 15:11
I dont think Helio has a championship run in him...

Briscoe Likely would have won the championship and the 500 if not for a bad set of tires

the Gannassi boys will be there we all know...

but for me.....I'm thinking Will is the guy to beat

any thoughts and/or pre-season predictions?

px400r
3rd March 2010, 16:11

Briscoe Likely would have won the championship and the 500 if not for a bad set of tires

Let me say it before DanicaFan...

This is the year Danica Patrick becomes the Indy Car (and Indy 500) champion. Her finish in the standings has been progressing each year. This will be the year she finishes first.

Go Danica!

Lousada
3rd March 2010, 16:17

I agree with you. I think Penske has the advantage this year because of the extra car. And within Penske I rate Power the highest.

mileman
3rd March 2010, 16:44
Let me say it before DanicaFan...

This is the year Danica Patrick becomes the Indy Car (and Indy 500) champion. Her finish in the standings has been progressing each year. This will be the year she finishes first.

Go Danica!

Well - it would be great to see her win the 500 and see everyone here get apoplectic. (In the non-medical sense...) Ha!

As for the championship - I'd like to see the season play out as I think it could have last year with Will Power easily winning it all. He appears to be something special.

SarahFan
3rd March 2010, 16:51
I expect Will to run with the other 4 on the ovals and R/C....with a win on each..

but I suspect we will see him being the guy to beat on the street circuits....unless badluck and dnf's get him i expect a couple wins and consistant podiums at SP, SP, LB, Tor, and Ed

in short...the top 5 swap points on the ovals and road circuits.......and Will wins the championship via the concrete canyons

TURN3
3rd March 2010, 17:05
I expect Will to run with the other 4 on the ovals and R/C....with a win on each..

but I suspect we will see him being the guy to beat on the street circuits....unless badluck and dnf's get him i expect a couple wins and consistant podiums at SP, SP, LB, Tor, and Ed

in short...the top 5 swap points on the ovals and road circuits.......and Will wins the championship via the concrete canyons

Totally agree, Will is the man to beat in that equipment. I said this in another thread last night. The guy is blazing fast on roads and streets. All he has to to is Danica his way around ovals (which he won't he'll actually compete for wins).

Chamoo
3rd March 2010, 17:21
As much as I hate to say this, 2010 is the year we need Danica to be competing for wins in the IICS more than any other year. If she is competing for wins, ratings will go up slightly. We need the ratings to jump a little bit and she might be the only hope outside of Izod.

SarahFan
3rd March 2010, 17:35
As much as I hate to say this, 2010 is the year we need Danica to be competing for wins in the IICS more than any other year. If she is competing for wins, ratings will go up slightly. We need the ratings to jump a little bit and she might be the only hope outside of Izod.

um..OK

but what does that have to do with who think WILL compete for wins and ultimately take the championship?

Chamoo
3rd March 2010, 17:46
um..OK

but what does that have to do with who think WILL compete for wins and ultimately take the championship?

Sorry. My bad.

Who I think will win? I'm going to say Will Power battles with TK and Franchitti for the championship. Power comes out on top.

I'm curious to see where Justin Wilson ends up in the standings. He could surprise a lot of people if D&R really does step up their program. He rarely DNF's and will be strong on the road courses. He could be a big surprise if D&R ups their oval game.

px400r
3rd March 2010, 18:07
Sorry. My bad.

Who I think will win? I'm going to say Will Power battles with TK and Franchitti for the championship. Power comes out on top.

I'm curious to see where Justin Wilson ends up in the standings. He could surprise a lot of people if D&R really does step up their program. He rarely DNF's and will be strong on the road courses. He could be a big surprise if D&R ups their oval game.

Those are good points. Imagine if JW had been signed by KV, a proven driver with a team that has shown improvement.

Chris R
3rd March 2010, 19:09
I have to join the crowd and go with Will Power - but I think it will be a tight between Will, Ryan, Dario and Scott with a possible strong run by Rahal if Ganassi picks him up in one form or another....

TURN3
3rd March 2010, 19:26
Those are good points. Imagine if JW had been signed by KV, a proven driver with a team that has shown improvement.

I'm sort of expecting D&R to have stepped up this year. They've obviously made a step up in their program in noticable areas, I'd think that goes across the board in their shop. Only time will tell of course. We know they're competitive on roadies, I think they'll be KV/NHL level on ovals too. You're right, I can see JW making a fight at the front but in the end those 5 cars have just too much talent sitting in those unlimitied resources. I go with Will as I said but Dario, Scott, & Ryan will have their time at the top...Helio finishes 5th...while TK, JW, and it wold be nice if EJ's speed can be harnessed for an entire year in KV equipment (it won't be). At most, it is a 4 man championship battle with 4 fighting for 5-8. KV has some quick guys but none of them will finish enough races to be in the battle. I will hold out some type of hope that Rahal gets on the grid to battle but cars are already on way to Brazil so it doesn't look like it.

Chamoo
3rd March 2010, 20:26
KV has some quick guys but none of them will finish enough races to be in the battle.

I disagree. James Rossiter may have the consistency to battle Helio for 5th and 6th.

I'm surprised so many people are writing Helio off so early this season.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd March 2010, 21:09
Scott Dixon. There are more ovals than there are roadcourses, and while I really like Will Power, I think Scott is the guy to pick. Ganassi won the championship with Dario last year, and I think Dixon is due. Briscoe and Will will both be in the hunt and I don't dislike those picks.

I pick Tony Kanaan to have a resurgence this year too....

SarahFan
3rd March 2010, 21:10
I disagree. James Rossiter may have the consistency to battle Helio for 5th and 6th.

I'm surprised so many people are writing Helio off so early this season.

Being as he has never won it odds are he will at se point.... Maybe 2010 is the year

Oli_M
3rd March 2010, 21:39
Going to have to say Dario vs Power. Power maybe has slightly more raw speed but Dario has the experience (and the team have the experience) of running for and winning the championship. I expect it to be close. The top 5 guys should all notch up wins and be in contention most weeks.

Would love to see Wilson score another victory though.

Scotty G.
3rd March 2010, 21:59
I think this might be Milka's year to shine.

px400r
3rd March 2010, 22:17
I think this might be Milka's year to shine.

Sorry, but Danica pulls out a .001 second victory over Milka at Homestead, and takes the championship by 1 point over Milka.

px400r
3rd March 2010, 22:19
Scott Dixon. There are more ovals than there are roadcourses, and while I really like Will Power, I think Scott is the guy to pick. Ganassi won the championship with Dario last year, and I think Dixon is due. Briscoe and Will will both be in the hunt and I don't dislike those picks.

I pick Tony Kanaan to have a resurgence this year too....

Mark, there are 9 road/street courses to 8 ovals. You're right though, if Scott can keep his dominance on ovals and pick up again on the road/street courses, he could be the one to challenge Danica.

DanicaFan
3rd March 2010, 22:19
My choice for champion is Danica Patrick. I think this is her year. Look out, she will be on top!

Go Danica!! :)

bblocker68
3rd March 2010, 22:42
You guys all jumped on my bandwagon!!!!!!!!!

LOL

Since I said William Power will be the 2010 IndyCar Champion THE MOMENT he signed for the full season, I'd have to go with:

Will Power, Penske Racing #12.

Can't wait!!!!

SarahFan
3rd March 2010, 23:01
My choice for champion is Danica Patrick. I think this is her year. Look out, she will be on top!

Why

Mark in Oshawa
3rd March 2010, 23:22

So that Will Power or Dario Franchitti are just wasting their time? lol....THIS is the most predictable post on the board. Thanks DF, for reaffirming out faith in your faith in the pint sized project!

TURN3
3rd March 2010, 23:48

The new dumbest thought I've ever seen in print.

I remember joining the forum after seeing him argue that DP would far surpass PT's records. I had had enough at that point. Well, at the rate she's going, she'll be almost 180 years old when she catches him.

Mark in Oshawa
4th March 2010, 00:15
The new dumbest thought I've ever seen in print.

I remember joining the forum after seeing him argue that DP would far surpass PT's records. I had had enough at that point. Well, at the rate she's going, she'll be almost 180 years old when she catches him.180?

PT has won how many races? Danica has only one in the last 5 years...so if I do the math...ya...maybe you are right...that is assuming of course that Danica maybe picks up the pace a little!!!

Chamoo
4th March 2010, 02:22
Referring to Danica being on top might be taken the wrong way by some.

px400r
4th March 2010, 02:23
180?

PT has won how many races? Danica has only one in the last 5 years...so if I do the math...ya...maybe you are right...that is assuming of course that Danica maybe picks up the pace a little!!!

Per downtowndeco...

So what's your point? That life isn't fair? Boo hoo. Grab a crying towel and join the club.

peasant
4th March 2010, 20:56
Mark, there are 9 road/street courses to 8 ovals. You're right though, if Scott can keep his dominance on ovals and pick up again on the road/street courses, he could be the one to challenge Danica.

If you could pit under yellow on street and road courses, dixon would have won that championship last year, the rule screws drivers who can save fuel. Having said that, if he picks up his qualifying on the same courses, he won'tbe hurt as much by that stupid rule.

TURN3
4th March 2010, 21:12
If you could pit under yellow on street and road courses, dixon would have won that championship last year, the rule screws drivers who can save fuel. Having said that, if he picks up his qualifying on the same courses, he won'tbe hurt as much by that stupid rule.

The rule is the same for everybody and practically the same in every series. I don't recall every single example from every single race but there was some discussion on it last year on this forum. As I seem to recall, it might bite you one race and help you in another. Dixon would've won the championship last year if he scored more points than Dario. He could've done that if he didn't run into the back of a car under yellow in Long Beach. I'm sure Dario can lay claim to how many more points he should've scored if not for "whatever". We all know Briscoe really screwed the pooch...so Dixon would've won the championship last year really had nothing at all to do with the pit rules. He just simply scored less points than Dario.

SoCalPVguy
5th March 2010, 02:40

Give it and us too for that matter a freakin' rest... there is absolutely no logical reason for that thought SEE BELOW TEST RESULTS.

Pos, Car #, Driver Name, C/E/T, Session, Time
1 6 Briscoe, Ryan D/H/F Practice 2 01:10.5052
2 3 Castroneves, Helio D/H/F Practice 2 01:10.7146
3 22 Wilson, Justin D/H/F Practice 2 01:10.7397
4 12 Power, Will D/H/F Practice 2 01:10.7637
5 9 Dixon, Scott D/H/F Practice 2 01:10.8927
6 8 Viso, EJ D/H/F Practice 2 01:10.9186
7 5 Sato, Takuma (R) D/H/F Practice 2 01:11.1138
8 11 Kanaan, Tony D/H/F Practice 2 01:11.1433
9 10 Franchitti, Dario D/H/F Practice 2 01:11.1825
10 06 Mutoh, Hideki D/H/F Practice 2 01:11.2212
11 26 Andrettihttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-briscoe-fastest-at-barber/#), Marco D/H/F Practice 2 01:11.3557
12 34 Romancini, Mario (R) D/H/F Practice 2 01:11.4567
13 32 Rossiter, James (R) D/H/F Practice 2 01:11.7759
14 14 Meira, Vitor D/H/F Practice 2 01:11.9171
15 2 Matos, Raphael D/H/F Practice 2 01:11.9924
16 37 Hunter-Reay, Ryan D/H/F Practice 2 01:12.1369
17 24 Conway, Mike D/H/F Practice 1 01:12.1543

18 7 Patrick, Danica D/H/F Practice 2 01:12.5369 <<<===WHAT PART OF 18TH OUT OF 20 FASTEST DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND !!!!

19 78 de Silvestro, Simona (R) D/H/F Practice 2 01:12.8124
20 67 Fisher, Sarah D/H/F Practice 2 01:16.0138

The series champion will be a Penske or Ganassi racing entry only. The only thing that danica "will be on top" of is DF in his fantasies.

V12
5th March 2010, 11:37
DF is a guy?!? :eek: :eek:

Anyway, the winner will come from one of five cars... and we all know which ones they are.

Sixth will probably be a toss-up between Kanaan (best driver in best team outside of P&G), Wilson (best driver full stop outside of P&G) and Sato (probable dark horse)

DanicaFan
5th March 2010, 12:07
You need to take a chill Socal, no need for the ridiculous badmouthing. Why not Danica ? She improves every year. Danica didnt practice that well at Barber but she said several times she didnt have a good car down there. Besides, it was only practice. She shines at race time when it counts.

DavePI2
5th March 2010, 12:58
kanaan would have a good chance to win again if his team showed him the respect he is do as a race winner and former champion. Giving him the worst car with the worst team while two drivers of much lesser abilities continue to get the best from andretti makes it tough. That being said, Dixon again.

david

F1boat
5th March 2010, 13:15
Franchitti. The smartest Indy driver.

TURN3
5th March 2010, 14:05
You need to take a chill Socal, no need for the ridiculous badmouthing. Why not Danica ? She improves every year. Danica didnt practice that well at Barber but she said several times she didnt have a good car down there. Besides, it was only practice. She shines at race time when it counts.

There isn't any need for your ridiculous "goodmouthing" either but you refuse to speak with sanity. Why not Danica? Try looking at her records. Then, try looking at the time sheets. How many wins and top 5's do you think she is good for on fuel gambles? She sucks. To win a championship, you'll need more than 0 victories...has she been improving on that stat since she was 14?

My bet is she finishes no better than 10th in the points. She doesn't improve every year, AGR/AA has been getting worse every year. Why? Because Danica says her car isn't very good...news flash...it isn't the car Danica, it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat. See Bobby Rahal's shocking comments from last months candid interview...he says (in short) she has no technical ability. Hint...AGR/AA continues to regress without a brain in 3 of its 4 cars.

Time to wake up now little boys.

SarahFan
5th March 2010, 14:10

The thread topic is who WILL win the championship..... Not who do you WANT to win it

do you understand the difference?

bblocker68
5th March 2010, 16:23
I think the concepts of "Badmouthing" and "Stating Reality" are getting misconstrued..........

You can be a Homer, but don't expect be treated with any respect if you babble on about how Danica is going to win a Championship. Getting your feelings hurt over nonsense is futile. I remember watching her in Atlantics, thinking that she is a "nice" driver, but won't ever win championships.

She's a good kid and could whip me on the track, but she's is not "World Class".

Mark in Oshawa
5th March 2010, 17:35
Guys, we just need to let DanicaFan have his little fantasy. At the end of the year, we will crush his delusions with reality, and he will just come back with more optimism. The sad thing is, he just is going to believe what he believes, and we can have an intelligent conversation around his delusions.

Loneranger
8th March 2010, 22:05
I see you are going with my boy Ken! Smart choice. Power takes this years title. He's hungry and he's found a home at Penske. Dude gets better and better every year. The only question in my mind is how he bounces back after his wreck. A good wreck has ruined many a good driver. We'll know after the first race. I'm picking power for Brazil to come right out of the gate fighting.

Dr. Krogshöj
8th March 2010, 23:54
If there is a little space for me left on bblocker68's Will Power bandwagon I'd respectfully like to hop on.

Mark in Oshawa
9th March 2010, 10:46
If there is a little space for me left on bblocker68's Will Power bandwagon I'd respectfully like to hop on.

I suspect there is always room on that Will Power bandwagon. I may be there in the end. I did pick Dixon this year tho......

SarahFan
23rd August 2010, 14:21
fun thread to look back on with four ovals left......

Chris R
23rd August 2010, 14:28
I would assume Will Power is nearly a lock at this point - but has anyone figured out what it would take for him to lose??? Not that I want him to lose - jsut curious if he actually could still lose it (realistically)...

SarahFan
23rd August 2010, 14:31
I would assume Will Power is nearly a lock at this point - but has anyone figured out what it would take for him to lose??? Not that I want him to lose - jsut curious if he actually could still lose it (realistically)...

a dnf and a franchitti win over the next 3 races takes the championship battle down to the final race.....

SarahFan
23rd August 2010, 14:37

a quick scenario....

if dario wins the final 4 races along with the pole and the point for laps led will would need to run 3 to still take the title

will leads by 59 points..... dario garnered 41 more points on the first four oval than will....

I suspect will will win at least one more oval this year.....with dario dixon and ryan the others....

realistically its going to take 2 dnf's for will to not win the championship

TURN3
23rd August 2010, 16:04
realistically its going to take 2 dnf's for will to not win the championship

I agree. 1 DNF makes it interesting, 2 is the only way he loses at this point. Don't forget also that there were 2 races where he was the only guy that had a car to challenge the eventual winner (Indy and I believe Kansas). It was mistakes in the pits or bad timing that cost him a shot at both of those...or at least a 2nd place. People want to make out like his "inexperience" will be a key and he's not that inexperienced...and he's in a Penske car.

Spiderman
23rd August 2010, 17:01
Maybe his teammates can help him a little bit, if they simply win races again...

For Franchitti it will be very hard work. He has to fight for every position he can get and additionally has to make sure finishig every race. Because one DNF will end all championship hopes for Dario!

SUBARUTEAM
23rd August 2010, 22:09
Will Power will win the championship in Japan

px400r
24th August 2010, 01:04
Will Power will win the championship in Japan

But he's already won a championship- the road racing championship.