PDA

View Full Version : Project Camel

call_me_andrew
3rd March 2010, 05:35
I was considering the concepts for the 2012 car, and I had an idea that I wanted to test out.

What if the car went in the Daytona Prototype route? I don't mean based on a lack of technolgy. I mean using a hybrid of a carbon fiber monocoque with a steel tube space frame. If the carbon fiber monocoque is just a one-size fits all, non-stressed, safety cell; then we can leave the steel frame wide open to every weekend warrior that wants to race in the 500.

The second phase of my idea gets a little wild. The engine would be in front of the driver, the driver would be slightly left of the car's center, and the fuel and oil tanks would be to the driver's right. The car would have no external aerodynamic apendages of any sort (wings, diffusers, etc.) and the undertray would be flat. The car's track would be fixed, but different sized control arms can be used to shift weight from left to right based on track configuration.

So basically it looks like this:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/Winegod1979/modifiedroadster3.jpg?t=1171760350

Mark in Oshawa
3rd March 2010, 05:42
I was considering the concepts for the 2012 car, and I had an idea that I wanted to test out.

What if the car went in the Daytona Prototype route? I don't mean based on a lack of technolgy. I mean using a hybrid of a carbon fiber monocoque with a steel tube space frame. If the carbon fiber monocoque is just a one-size fits all, non-stressed, safety cell; then we can leave the steel frame wide open to every weekend warrior that wants to race in the 500.

The second phase of my idea gets a little wild. The engine would be in front of the driver, the driver would be slightly left of the car's center, and the fuel and oil tanks would be to the driver's right. The car would have no external aerodynamic apendages of any sort (wings, diffusers, etc.) and the undertray would be flat. The car's track would be fixed, but different sized control arms can be used to shift weight from left to right based on track configuration.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/Winegod1979/modifiedroadster3.jpg?t=1171760350

That is the formula that I wish TG had used in his vision of the IRL. I would have maybe had more time for his "Vision" as being original. That design of the offset wouldnt work for road courses, but of course there are a few, like Scotty who would use that as a pretence to dump them. I don't think that is an option at this point.....but I do like the idea of a unique form of race car, and I could go for a different Indycar. I suspect tho, I am in the minority, and I think until the current IRL either runs its course, or grows back into something more substantial, the return of the roadster isn't going to be on the list of ideas considered. If the IRL dies tho, I could conceive someone at 16th and Georgetown saying to the USAC Sprint community to take their current cars and make them into roadsters for a one off 500. Not sure if the economics would work, or if the racing would be good, but it would be an American formula.

call_me_andrew
3rd March 2010, 06:25
Well I'm sure (somewhere in the 80% range) the Gold Crown cars could be used in the 500.

But the main point of my idea is the hybrid chassis. Carbon fiber is expensive and requires a lot of technical knowledge to work with. By making a one-size fits all safety cell, the most expenisve (and non-performance effecing) part of the car can be mass produced, while the rest of the chassis is relatively cheap.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd March 2010, 07:09
Well I'm sure (somewhere in the 80% range) the Gold Crown cars could be used in the 500.

But the main point of my idea is the hybrid chassis. Carbon fiber is expensive and requires a lot of technical knowledge to work with. By making a one-size fits all safety cell, the most expenisve (and non-performance effecing) part of the car can be mass produced, while the rest of the chassis is relatively cheap.

Well it comes down to the safety. Especially if they are honking down the straights at Indy at 200 plus. Lets face it, these cars would be quicker than a NASCAR Sprint Cup car...

px400r
3rd March 2010, 12:25
That is the formula that I wish TG had used in his vision of the IRL. I would have maybe had more time for his "Vision" as being original. That design of the offset wouldnt work for road courses, but of course there are a few, like Scotty who would use that as a pretence to dump them. I don't think that is an option at this point.....but I do like the idea of a unique form of race car, and I could go for a different Indycar. I suspect tho, I am in the minority, and I think until the current IRL either runs its course, or grows back into something more substantial, the return of the roadster isn't going to be on the list of ideas considered. If the IRL dies tho, I could conceive someone at 16th and Georgetown saying to the USAC Sprint community to take their current cars and make them into roadsters for a one off 500. Not sure if the economics would work, or if the racing would be good, but it would be an American formula.

Or something like the Panoz LMP roadster (http://nsa06.casimages.com/img/2009/04/11/090411010000828789.jpg).

Chris R
3rd March 2010, 12:56

I think the idea of a standardized safety cell is perfect - otherwise a basically open formula.....