PDA

View Full Version : Renault to sport prominent 'Lada' branding

Giuseppe F1
2nd March 2010, 10:02
http://en.espnf1.com/renault/motorsport/story/9950.html

Probably the manufacturer least likely to be associated with Formula One, Russian car maker Lada, has announced it will be sponsoring the Renault F1 team for 2010....

...The announcement, made by Russian prime minister Vladimir Putin, is linked to the signing of Vitaly Petrov as the countries first F1 driver. Putin said Renault's signing of Petrov, is a "great symbol of cooperation" between the French marque and Russia....

...In 2008 Renault bought a 25% stake in Lada's parent company Avtovaz for US$1 billion....

Somebody
2nd March 2010, 18:48
Short of winning the WCC, they will never live this down...

DexDexter
2nd March 2010, 19:30
This is just plain embarrassing. Lada's got probably the most terrible image of all the automakers. :o We used to have Ladas over here and we've got plenty of jokes, it's just that they don't translate into English that easily since the language is so different.

AussieV8
3rd March 2010, 00:00
Maybe next year with a bit more of Putin's money it will be the Lada F1 team :D

VkmSpouge
3rd March 2010, 00:24
:D Well, this has made my day :D

Sonic
3rd March 2010, 10:05
Personally I think we should be celebrating Lada arrival - seriously! Here is a company, the butt of many (justified) jokes over the years, that is trying to build a new image for themselves and they have chosen motorsport to do it.

Their WTCC team hardly set the world on fire, but it did score points IIRC in an improving car in 2009.

There is a great, untapped, market for F1 in Russia so perhaps now, with a Russian Driver and a Russian auto maker already onboard we could see the long rumored Russian GP finally materialise.

Dave B
4th March 2010, 10:37
Here's a picture of the car with Lada branding - it still looks like an old Jordan!

http://adamcooperf1.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/acf1-lada-pic.jpg

http://adamcooperf1.com/2010/03/04/renault-f1-team-confirms-lada-deal/

V12
4th March 2010, 11:47
Personally I think we should be celebrating Lada arrival - seriously! Here is a company, the butt of many (justified) jokes over the years, that is trying to build a new image for themselves and they have chosen motorsport to do it.

Their WTCC team hardly set the world on fire, but it did score points IIRC in an improving car in 2009.

There is a great, untapped, market for F1 in Russia so perhaps now, with a Russian Driver and a Russian auto maker already onboard we could see the long rumored Russian GP finally materialise.

Good point, when I was a kid Skoda would always be mentioned in the same breath as Lada when me and my primary school friends would make fun of crappy cars that we saw. Then they started doing well at rallying... now they're quite a respectable brand (although their recent reputation as basically being rebadged VWs may have had something to do with it as well)

I also gather that Subarus were seen as basically slow lumbering farm vehicles until the Legacy and Impreza rally programmes?

If Lada want to boost their image through motorsport and have the means to do so, then good luck to them.

BUT - something doesn't sit right with me about a car manufacturer backing another car manufacturer's racing team. Same reason I don't like GP2 and the scores of Mercedes and Toyota backed drivers that have competed in Renault-powered cars.

Still, Renault seem in dire need of funding and if this brings some, then that can only be a positive I guess.

Sonic
4th March 2010, 12:07
Good point, when I was a kid Skoda would always be mentioned in the same breath as Lada when me and my primary school friends would make fun of crappy cars that we saw. Then they started doing well at rallying... now they're quite a respectable brand (although their recent reputation as basically being rebadged VWs may have had something to do with it as well)

I also gather that Subarus were seen as basically slow lumbering farm vehicles until the Legacy and Impreza rally programmes?

If Lada want to boost their image through motorsport and have the means to do so, then good luck to them.

BUT - something doesn't sit right with me about a car manufacturer backing another car manufacturer's racing team. Same reason I don't like GP2 and the scores of Mercedes and Toyota backed drivers that have competed in Renault-powered cars.

Still, Renault seem in dire need of funding and if this brings some, then that can only be a positive I guess.

I know what you mean with the last point. I still think its weird to see Rossi on a Yamaha sponsored by Fiat.

MrJan
4th March 2010, 12:34
I've wanted a Lada for years, always struck me as good RWD fun.

Somebody
4th March 2010, 12:48
Is it just me, or have they stuck that logo in just about the least prominent place they could find?

V12
4th March 2010, 13:06
Is it just me, or have they stuck that logo in just about the least prominent place they could find?

Nah, "Virgin" stuck Manor's logo in an even less prominent place.

foxystoat
4th March 2010, 13:25
How do you double the value of a Lada ? fill it with petrol !

BoilerIMS
4th March 2010, 15:12
In Renault F1 team, driver not drive car, car drive itself!

(sorry, that was really low hanging fruit.)

Mekola
4th March 2010, 15:20
Are sympathetic these Lada logos on the car. Good to see that Petrov has strong backing even from his Government to secure the drive.

DexDexter
4th March 2010, 16:25

The problem with Lada is that their products aren't really getting any better. You can actually buy a brand new Lada in this country but I don't think many do :) . But anyway, all funding is good funding IMO.

Sonic
4th March 2010, 16:32
The problem with Lada is that their products aren't really getting any better. You can actually buy a brand new Lada in this country but I don't think many do :) . But anyway, all funding is good funding IMO.

Wouldn't know, haven't been able to buy a Lada in the UK since the mid '90s.

RS
4th March 2010, 17:03
BUT - something doesn't sit right with me about a car manufacturer backing another car manufacturer's racing team.

This does make a bit more sense though as Renault do own a share of Lada and with a Russian driver behind the wheel it seems like a good fit to me.

aryan
5th March 2010, 04:12
BUT - something doesn't sit right with me about a car manufacturer backing another car manufacturer's racing team

I know what you mean, but Renault owns 25% of Lada's parent company. It makes sense.

Lemmy-Boy
5th March 2010, 07:58
Given the fact that Petrov is a well connected Russian and pays for his own F1 ride, I am not surprised to see the Lada logo on the livery.

After all, Renault is not a majority owner of the "Renault F1" team so Genii Capital has the leverage to establish additional business relationships.

It been heavily reported that Renault may not around in F1 for long. Genii Capital has only guaranteed the "Renault F1" name and support from "Renault Sport" for the next two years. But what happens after this timeframe? I see Renault pulling a slow and silent retreat from F1. This is a good way to leave, especially without causing ill-feelings or shock as compared to Honda, BMW & Toyota.

ArrowsFA1
5th March 2010, 08:57
BUT - something doesn't sit right with me about a car manufacturer backing another car manufacturer's racing team.
It's going to be rather weird seeing a Renault Lada up against a BMW (Sauber) Ferrari :p

5th March 2010, 09:08
I know there were companies over here that were willing to buy Lada's for a very good price and then export them back to Russia. Every Lada owner in the UK must have taken up this offer because I haven't seen one over here for about 5 years or so. I would assume a similar scheme was offered in Finland..

Why does a Lada have a heated rear screen?
A: So you can keep your hands warm when you are pushing it..

Whats on the last page of a Lada owners manual?
A: The bus schedule..

There's millions.. :p

All told by those who thought a Ford Sierra had good build quality or that a Triumph Acclaim was a good car.

At least Lada drivers knew they hadn't paid over-the-odds for a heap of Dagenham manure.

The biggest joke was the British car industry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwZvWQyYSDM

Proof positive.

V12
5th March 2010, 09:52
It been heavily reported that Renault may not around in F1 for long. Genii Capital has only guaranteed the "Renault F1" name and support from "Renault Sport" for the next two years. But what happens after this timeframe? I see Renault pulling a slow and silent retreat from F1. This is a good way to leave, especially without causing ill-feelings or shock as compared to Honda, BMW & Toyota.

Totally agree. It would be good to see them remain as an engine supplier only as well, after all this is where they had most of their success with Williams etc. Even in the last year with Red Bull compared to the works cars.

Sonic
5th March 2010, 09:57
OMG! Just remembered the Lada Lotus!

Can't post the link from here but if you search you tube for the "Lada Lotus" its there. Looks brilliant - I want one! :D

ArrowsFA1
5th March 2010, 10:05
OMG! Just remembered the Lada Lotus!
Blimey :eek: Forgotten all about that!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/119078.jpg

BDunnell
5th March 2010, 10:46
The biggest joke was the British car industry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwZvWQyYSDM

Proof positive.

Absolutely right. Much is said about how politicians have ruined British industry over the years, but this often serves to forget how much those same industries did to ruin themselves.

AndyL
5th March 2010, 10:53
All told by those who thought a Ford Sierra had good build quality

Don't knock the Ford Sierra - rear wheel drive, simple and robust mechanicals, and a body shell that rusted into dust at the drop of a hat. It was Ford's gift to the kit car industry! ;)

patnicholls
5th March 2010, 13:10
The Lada backing for Petrov may also have something to do that he actually started off in racing - indeed, winning - in the Russian Lada championships (and did so as recently as 2005!) - check his Wikipedia entry. Quite a novel way to start off on your path towards F1, a bit different to karting!

jens
10th March 2010, 08:33
Some say Lada's presence in F1 is embarrassing. I'd say it's fun. :D And it would be greater if they actually took over Renault's team and renamed it Lada in the future. :p : After all, Lada has pulled out of WTCC - maybe they are now gradually aiming to move one step higher ? :p :

Dave B
11th March 2010, 16:36
A rather large "HP" logo has appeared on the Renaults in Bahrain - the start of a 2 year deal according to Joe Saward (http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/03/11/thoughts-from-the-paddock-in-bahrain/):

Here's a link to a (fairly huge!) photo:

http://joesaward.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/hp-2.jpg

cali
11th March 2010, 17:46
But one things is for sure, Lada is a very fun car to drive. If You master Lada, then other cars are just a piece of cake.

christophulus
11th March 2010, 18:53
A rather large "HP" logo has appeared on the Renaults in Bahrain - the start of a 2 year deal according to Joe Saward (http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/03/11/thoughts-from-the-paddock-in-bahrain/):

Here's a link to a (fairly huge!) photo:

http://joesaward.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/hp-2.jpg

OK, maybe that livery is growing on me a bit (even though I think that's a computer mock-up?). Good to see they're getting a bit more sponsorship though.

DexDexter
11th March 2010, 21:20
OK, maybe that livery is growing on me a bit (even though I think that's a computer mock-up?). Good to see they're getting a bit more sponsorship though.

Sure it is, the Lada sign isn't visible. :D