PDA

View Full Version : My Single Highlight Of 2009 is:

Saint Devote
28th February 2010, 15:25
As the new season approaches maybe we can all state which our favorite grand prix and single highlight was of 2009.

For me:
Jenson's Monaco Grand Prix weekend.
That weekend his performance was equal to greatest that our wonderful sport has seen.

Single highlight:
Jenson's pole winning lap at Catalunya.

:D :D

markabilly
28th February 2010, 17:11
Hard to choose between flavio getting banned or ioan getting banned...again...

Sonic
28th February 2010, 19:50
Hard to choose between flavio getting banned or ioan getting banned...again...

LOL

Well I think that Jensons run from the pits to the podium will stick with me for many years - great moment.

As for best racing moment - Brazil. A star was born that day and his name is Kobayashi.

F1boat
28th February 2010, 19:57
My fave moment was when Brawn GP dominated the first part of the season and especially the first GP in Oz.

DexDexter
28th February 2010, 19:59
Kimi Räikkönen winning the Belgium GP with a car that wasn't up to it was definitely the highlight for me.

Sonic
28th February 2010, 20:52
One memory which sticks with me is when Mark Webber let out a huge release of emotion at the German GP, winning his first ever F1 race. I had tears in my eyes and the moment reminded me of Senna when he won the 1991 Brazilian GP. Some would say he was "crying like a baby", but I would put it down to thirty seconds of adrenaline fuelled cries of joy and happiness. Nice one Mark... :)

Yeah that was wicked.

UltimateDanGTR
28th February 2010, 21:12
One memory which sticks with me is when Mark Webber let out a huge release of emotion at the German GP, winning his first ever F1 race. I had tears in my eyes and the moment reminded me of Senna when he won the 1991 Brazilian GP. Some would say he was "crying like a baby", but I would put it down to thirty seconds of adrenaline fuelled cries of joy and happiness. Nice one Mark... :)

agreed. finally Mark's potential had been realised when all bad luck was crushed. I felt so happy for him, couldnt happen to a nicer guy!

Saint Devote
28th February 2010, 21:19
LOL

Well I think that Jensons run from the pits to the podium will stick with me for many years - great moment.

As for best racing moment - Brazil. A star was born that day and his name is Kobayashi.

The run should become a Monaco GP tradition - think I'll poll that!

Kobayashi could become the best from Japanese motor racing yet - and he learns quickly it appears. None of that weaving under braking at Yas Marina which caused Jenson a heart-stopping moment and triggered Nakajima's crash at Interlagos.

steveaki13
28th February 2010, 23:36
A word for Fisichella's Pole and 2nd place in the Race. That was certainly a great moment. IMO

gloomyDAY
1st March 2010, 00:50
Highlight: Mark's primeval scream after winning in Germany.

Low-light: Kimi cutting the chicane at Spa and not getting a penalty.

airshifter
1st March 2010, 03:27

Kobayashi could become the best from Japanese motor racing yet - and he learns quickly it appears. None of that weaving under braking at Yas Marina which caused Jenson a heart-stopping moment and triggered Nakajima's crash at Interlagos.

Jenson punked himself. Kobayashi moved only once in both instances, and other drivers throught they could intimidate him. Guess not. :)

CNR
1st March 2010, 03:29
lie gate

NO i lied mark webber to have a drive thru penalty and still win

Koz
1st March 2010, 05:11
Kimi Räikkönen winning the Belgium GP with a car that wasn't up to it was definitely the highlight for me.

Add to that Fisi's performance.

Honorable mentions to Kobayashi's race and Button whining like a little baby about it. :)

And webber's win with the penalty. That was brilliant too!

F1boat
1st March 2010, 06:32

I do not believe that racing drivers or human beings in general should be like terminators, showing no emotion. I am not a fan of RBR, but was very happy for Mark, especially when I heard how really, really excited and delighted he is.

Sonic
1st March 2010, 08:03

I don't think I'd like that. What made it a magic moment was the humor of it, it would quickly loose that if it was "staged" every year - much like Donuts or climbing the fence in American racing - both of those things were awesome when they were first done but they've lost the spur of the moment feel.

jens
1st March 2010, 10:57
Australian GP was pretty special. First ever race with new rules and new-looking cars. Let's add massive uncertainty in many ways with even teams not knowing, what exactly does work and what doesn't (KERS). Then also those rapidly deteriorating soft tyres in the race - never seen something like that before, which created some mess. And on top of all a shocking pecking order, which saw almost everyone upside down to what we had been used to and which was really hard to get used to initially. Honorable mention to the Belgian GP qualifying, which was quite memorable too.

ozrevhead
1st March 2010, 10:58
you think he was crying like a baby - should of seen my reaction LOL :p greatest higlight in my F1 life period after Mika winning his first championship

I was so excited, so happy and very emotional

Sonic
1st March 2010, 11:24
you think he was crying like a baby - should of seen my reaction LOL :p greatest higlight in my F1 life period after Mika winning his first championship

I was so excited, so happy and very emotional

:up:

Thats what great sport should be like! I haven't had that feeling myself since Damon won his title but I should imagine I'll be a blubering wreck if Nico scores his first race win this year.

Saint Devote
1st March 2010, 11:57
Jenson punked himself. Kobayashi moved only once in both instances, and other drivers throught they could intimidate him. Guess not. :)

I dont know what you mean by "punked" but if you look into the Descida do Sol - the first corner past the pits on Jenson's first complete lap after his refuelling stop, he was side by side with Kobayashi [who had already moved once] and just into the corner the Japanese driver moved left and Button had to react.

That is not allowed in F1 - and it caused whip oversteer which Jenson had to correct and with a heavy car he slid wide in the negative camber corner and Kobayashi kept the position.

It was then that Jenson complained to his team.

Kobayashi was very different driver at Yas Marina.

wedge
1st March 2010, 13:32
Brazillian GP. Bunsen winning WDC in style.

That is not allowed in F1 - and it caused whip oversteer which Jenson had to correct and with a heavy car he slid wide in the negative camber corner and Kobayashi kept the position.

Where in the regulations does it say this? Who has been penalised for doing this?

It is a silly gentleman's agreement made in driver briefings.

Yes it is bit of a no-no and can be dangerous but under the heat of the moment the driver must be allowed to fight.

airshifter
2nd March 2010, 03:18
Brazillian GP. Bunsen winning WDC in style.

Where in the regulations does it say this? Who has been penalised for doing this?

It is a silly gentleman's agreement made in driver briefings.

Yes it is bit of a no-no and can be dangerous but under the heat of the moment the driver must be allowed to fight.

They call it racing. Some don't like it when their driver doesn't come out on top of those racing instances. ;)

Saint Devote
2nd March 2010, 03:50
Under the sporting regulations the steward can act if there is an action that can cause an avoidable collision such as forcing a driver off the track, illegitimately preventing a legitimate overtaking manoeuvre by a driver and illegitimately impeding another driver during overtaking.

This last point is what caused the FIA to warn over what would usually be a 10 second drive through or worse afterwards.

Don't accuse me of being immature over supporting a driver. Maybe a 12 year old will object because it is the driver they support. I have been around and supported drivers since I was a boy, 36 seasons.

But Kobayashi acted irresponsibly - but it was his first grand and so even after his collision with Nakajima he was not penalized.

I have already described what happened and of you view during the in car camera of Jenson's, Kobayashi moves sharply to the left AGAIN when both drivers are comitted to the de Sol corner through the Senna Esses, and Jenson, heavy with fuel has to lift immediately destabilizing the car and the car oversteers.

Jenson opposite locks, runs slightly wide and has to resume behind Kobayashi. It was after that incident that Button radioed to his pit and the FIA after viewing the tape warned the Japanese.

Kobayashi drove well in the last race and he showed that he learned because there were no more F3 type antics.

Now this explanation may or may not satisfy you both - its up to you. If you dislike Jenson as is the norm for most on this board you will enact cognitive dissonance.

Of course you can always claim that Charlie Whiting was favouring the new world champion over a rookie in his first grand prix - then you must HATE American racing and be very disapointed at what has always occurred in F1 prior to close tv coverage and video.

wedge
2nd March 2010, 12:44
Under the sporting regulations the steward can act if there is an action that can cause an avoidable collision such as forcing a driver off the track, illegitimately preventing a legitimate overtaking manoeuvre by a driver and illegitimately impeding another driver during overtaking.

That's a reference to the silly one-move rule

Now this explanation may or may not satisfy you both - its up to you. If you dislike Jenson as is the norm for most on this board you will enact cognitive dissonance.

I've already credited Button on this thread.

Garry Walker
2nd March 2010, 20:16
Before I read st.devotes post I already knew what it was going to be about. Masturbation fest over BoybandButtons monaco weekend.

SGWilko
2nd March 2010, 20:38
Before I read st.devotes post I already knew what it was going to be about. Masturbation fest over BoybandButtons monaco weekend.

Ooohhh, Garry and his Mass Debates - get you!

Big Ben
2nd March 2010, 22:28
I have none. 2009 season was as interesting as watching the grass grow. After 2 of the most interesting seasons the one with the rules that were supposed to improve the show provided me with great fuel for my sunday afternoon power naps.

airshifter
3rd March 2010, 03:03

This last point is what caused the FIA to warn over what would usually be a 10 second drive through or worse afterwards.

Don't accuse me of being immature over supporting a driver. Maybe a 12 year old will object because it is the driver they support. I have been around and supported drivers since I was a boy, 36 seasons.

But Kobayashi acted irresponsibly - but it was his first grand and so even after his collision with Nakajima he was not penalized.

I have already described what happened and of you view during the in car camera of Jenson's, Kobayashi moves sharply to the left AGAIN when both drivers are comitted to the de Sol corner through the Senna Esses, and Jenson, heavy with fuel has to lift immediately destabilizing the car and the car oversteers.

Jenson opposite locks, runs slightly wide and has to resume behind Kobayashi. It was after that incident that Button radioed to his pit and the FIA after viewing the tape warned the Japanese.

Kobayashi drove well in the last race and he showed that he learned because there were no more F3 type antics.

Of course you can always claim that Charlie Whiting was favouring the new world champion over a rookie in his first grand prix - then you must HATE American racing and be very disapointed at what has always occurred in F1 prior to close tv coverage and video.

Just quit with the "Jenson detractors" crap. It's been old since it started. Kobay made an aggressive move and got a warning, it's not something that hasn't happened hundreds of times, if not a more severe penalty. They were both heading towards the apex and one of them had to flinch. It's not as if either of them had real "ownership" of the line.

Koz
3rd March 2010, 03:16
They call it racing. Some don't like it when their driver doesn't come out on top of those racing instances. ;)

Yeah, let's just be done with all that, and consider qualifying the actual race...

Oh wait, we are getting it this year. Yay!