PDA

View Full Version : Super Touring Rear Wheels

Eurotech
25th February 2010, 17:04
Just a question, I was watching my BTCC 2000 review DVD and I noticed that the Super Touring cars have strange rear wheels. I used to think this was ballast but I'm not sure anymore bacause some cars have them and others don't.

Can anyone help?

BTCC2
25th February 2010, 17:45
What was strange that you noticed about them?

Eurotech
25th February 2010, 18:56
Some cars have smooth Rear Rims wheras others have normal rims with spokes

BTCC2
25th February 2010, 19:03
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I believe that is nothing more than a difference in appearance. I don't think it changes anything at all with the performance of the car because there were often cases after the pit stops where 3 of the wheels would be the same and 1 would be different.

Allyc85
25th February 2010, 20:04
Isnt it to do with aero dynamics and reducing drag?

LiamM
25th February 2010, 20:06
Yes it was, rather like the F1 cars of 2008-2009 had the 'wheel spinners'.

Although the touring car teams used to play around with them often between just rears or all 4.

Eurotech
25th February 2010, 21:01
Thanks for clearing that up :)

Its amazing how technologically advanced the Super Tourers were back then! I don't think wheel spinners would make much difference nowadays...

BTCC2
25th February 2010, 22:18
Wow, well I never knew that! There was evidentally alot of money being spent by manufacturers in the R&D of the SuperTourers.

LiamM
25th February 2010, 22:23
Wow, well I never knew that! There was evidentally alot of money being spent by manufacturers in the R&D of the SuperTourers.

I think it was most evident at Snetterton? Where the high speed nature of the circuit called for less drag and most IIRC had covers on all four wheels, I think the Accords used to. Might have to dig the old tape player out to have a look at the weekend

wedge
7th March 2010, 14:33
I thought those things were banned by then. I remember the BMWs had them in the mid-90s

Eurotech
7th March 2010, 22:19
no, the Mondeos, Vectras and Accords all had them as late as '00 (the independant Primeras did as well actually)

Spyder
9th March 2010, 13:54
I think it was most evident at Snetterton? Where the high speed nature of the circuit called for less drag and most IIRC had covers on all four wheels, I think the Accords used to. Might have to dig the old tape player out to have a look at the weekend

That's correct. The reason they only had them on the rear wheels would probably be that the front brakes were overheating with them on.
By the way, you would never put ballast on wheels. The wheels are unsprung weight and should be kept as light as possible.
See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_mass

BTCC2
9th March 2010, 17:16
no, the Mondeos, Vectras and Accords all had them as late as '00 (the independant Primeras did as well actually)

So every singe class A car :p

Eurotech
11th March 2010, 23:34
yeah basically, I personally don't/didn't like them, they look really odd