PDA

View Full Version : Tipping

Mark
27th February 2007, 11:23
My girlfriend just got back from a week in New York, and one of the things she remarked upon is just how prevelant tipping is, in areas you just wouldn't expect here.

In the UK, it's not like we don't tip at all. In restaurants I'd usually tip a couple of pounds for a £20 bill, or round it up to the nearest £5 so you don't have to give coins. In a taxi you'd usually use the 'keep the change' thing again. But in both these instances they would never ask for a tip and nothing will be said if you choose not to give one.

First experience Karen had in New York was getting the shuttle bus from the airport, where an announcement was made before they set off that every passenger was expected to give a tip to the driver as they were leaving. On the open top bus ride you were told that you were expected to tip the driver and guide whenever you got on or off the bus. I think if you tried to do that in the UK, at best the driver would be embarassed, or may even turn it down.

Now I know that they have to do this as US tax laws assume they get a certain amount of tips, but if someone announced to me that they are expecting a tip, the first thing I would think is "cheeky b******!".

PS. The driver of the shuttle bus didn't do a very good job and since she only had $20 notes she decided not to give the driver a tip, to which he wasn't too pleased ;)

Eki
27th February 2007, 12:23
My girlfriend just got back from a week in New York, and one of the things she remarked upon is just how prevelant tipping is, in areas you just wouldn't expect here.

Yes, it's confusing. The first time I was in the US, we stopped to eat at some diner in Connecticut. We ate our burgers, paid and left. The man at the cash register (maybe he was the owner) ran after us outside and asked if the service wasn't good enough and seemed a pretty pissed off. I said it was and asked why did he ask. He said because we didn't leave any tip. I said I'm sorry, but we had expected service was included in the price of the burgers like it is in Finland and said tipping is not customary in Finland.

BDunnell
27th February 2007, 12:58
Nobody should ever expect to be tipped.

Out of interest, how often does anyone really — and I mean really — experience service in a bar or restaurant that makes you think it's exceptional and thus giving the person some extra cash on top of what they are already being paid, rather than just doing so to be polite or avoid them having to give a small amount of change? I reckon it happens more rarely than we might like to think.

And don't get me started on giving small change to toilet attendants...

Mark
27th February 2007, 13:06

Out of interest, how often does anyone really — and I mean really — experience service in a bar or restaurant that makes you think it's exceptional and thus giving the person some extra cash on top of what they are already being paid, rather than just doing so to be polite or avoid them having to give a small amount of change? I reckon it happens more rarely than we might like to think.

Well, like I say, I usually give a tip in a resaurant anyway, but mostly of the order of a pound or so.

I would say out of every 20 times I visit a resaurant, maybe once I will find the service exceptional enough to warrant tipping extra. I would say more like 5 out of 20 times I will be moved not to give any tip at all, due to poor service.

BDunnell
27th February 2007, 13:12
Well, like I say, I usually give a tip in a resaurant anyway, but mostly of the order of a pound or so.

I would say out of every 20 times I visit a resaurant, maybe once I will find the service exceptional enough to warrant tipping extra. I would say more like 5 out of 20 times I will be moved not to give any tip at all, due to poor service.

Or the level of service that you'd expect and no better, for which the staff should surely be paid sufficiently anyway, because that's their job. Apart from little bits of rounding-up, I only tip if I think the service has been really good, over and above the high standard that everyone should expect. I certainly wouldn't ever give more of a tip to a waiter/waitress who kept on coming over all the time and being over-attentive, because that doesn't constitute good service in my book.

It really is a whole ethical dilemma on its own, this!

schmenke
27th February 2007, 15:38
I'll always give at least a minimum of a tip in resaurants, say around 10% (more if the service was exceptional). Around here restaurant servers are paid minimum wage so they really do rely on tips to supplement their income.

Like Mark, I'll tip a cab-driver, usually rounding up to a buck or two. However, I've never heard of tipping a bus driver :s .

LotusElise
27th February 2007, 15:51
I never tip taxi drivers. They earn good money and charge a lot round here anyway.

race aficionado
27th February 2007, 16:20
First experience Karen had in New York was getting the shuttle bus from the airport, where an announcement was made before they set off that every passenger was expected to give a tip to the driver as they were leaving. On the open top bus ride you were told that you were expected to tip the driver and guide whenever you got on or off the bus. I think if you tried to do that in the UK, at best the driver would be embarassed, or may even turn it down.

As a New Yorker, my apologies for that fiasco. That's what I call a tourist trap. It is the bus companies responsibility to pay it's employees and not find other ways to compensate the bad pay they are probably giving their drives. Shame on them. I wouldn't tip the driver. I payed my fare and will carry my bags, thank you.

As for tipping in other areas, we usually tip twice the tax on restaurants and do tip the cab drivers depending on the distance and of course their driving skills. If they are yapping on their cell phones it substantially lowers their tip - that's a pet peeve of mine :mad:

any way . . . . again sorry for that tip fiasco and don't let that scare you away from the Big Apple. We will take your money in other more creative ways. ;)

peace,
race
:s mokin:

jim mcglinchey
27th February 2007, 18:00
"... that meal was really horrible, and heres a tip for you my friend..Dont eat yellow snow! "

luvracin
27th February 2007, 18:00

People that work in Restaurants in the USA couldn't live on the basic wage. The tip makes up a good portion of their wages. It's structured this way in part to ensure the servers actually TRY and give you good service.

janneppi
27th February 2007, 18:10
But is the tipping system really working as incentive if it's expected to be given unless the waitress vomits on your shirt? Managers should be competent enough to regonise good workers and award them for their efforts.
Does anyone tip at Mcdonalds?

schmenke
27th February 2007, 18:48
"... that meal was really horrible, and heres a tip for you my friend..Dont eat yellow snow! "

The server didn't cook the food.

BDunnell
27th February 2007, 19:33
But is the tipping system really working as incentive if it's expected to be given unless the waitress vomits on your shirt? Managers should be competent enough to regonise good workers and award them for their efforts.
Does anyone tip at Mcdonalds?

Exactly. The pay structure, whether in the USA or elsewhere, should be sufficient to render tips a bonus - which is surely what they're supposed to be.

Wilderness
27th February 2007, 19:35
Unless you're in a group of 8 people or more, "gratuities" are not included by restaurants. My sister figures out the tip by doubling the amount of sales tax (usualy 6-9%, but in many places its even more).

koppite_rob
27th February 2007, 20:30
Just after Xmas I took Mrs R & a couple of friends to a nice outdoor restaurant in London.
Now the lass wasn't rushed off her feet,in fact apart from us the only other people in her serving area were a couple of rucksack wearing tourists who made two large coffees last an hour & an old couple who ate very slowly.

Now the meal was good,not brilliant,but there was a note at the bottom of the receipt for a 'optional' 17% service charge for groups of four or more!
Well considering the waitress had not broken into the mildest of sweat & the food was adequate the option wasn't taken up.

Well she chased us up the road threatening to call the police.Then the manager joined her,doing the same.So I politely explained that 'optional' in English doesn't mean the same as compulsory.I also explained that tips are left as a recognition of satisfaction of a service provided & that if he wished to settle the grievance we could do in front of a police officer & his high number of foreign speaking nationals working in his restaurant!

Take me for a stupid bloody tourist!

tony_yeboah
27th February 2007, 20:44
i tipped £5 on valentines night, wanted to look flash :D

Hayden Fan
27th February 2007, 22:02
I'll always give at least a minimum of a tip in resaurants, say around 10% (more if the service was exceptional). Around here restaurant servers are paid minimum wage so they really do rely on tips to supplement their income.

Like Mark, I'll tip a cab-driver, usually rounding up to a buck or two. However, I've never heard of tipping a bus driver :s .

I worked at a restaurant and that is how I made most of my money(restaruant workers get paid under the minimum wage), but we got about 15 per cent or what teh person paid. No opne wver did, but in america that is the ideal tip.

Alexamateo
27th February 2007, 22:52
OK Here's the deal in the US. You don't tip in a counter service restaurant (i.e. Mcdonalds) They are paid normal hourly wages. In a sit-down restaurant They are paid only a nominal wage of $2.10 an hour. There the expected tip is 15-20%. Some may say that's not right, but most servers I know like it that way as they can make a tremendous amount of money. My wife waited tables in not very special Mexican Restaurant and it was not unusual for her to bring home $100 a night (for only 5-6 hours of work). In high-end restaurants it makes for great competition between waiters (only the best get those jobs) and people can actually make careers out of it if they so desire. As far as the government is concerned, they assume you make 8% of gross sales (because some don't tip of course, or tip poorly) or you can keep a daily tip journal. It's usually better to claim the 8%. I like the system and I think it works well, but there are always those who don't.

Now as far as bus drivers, shuttle drivers, taxis etc. They should be paid a normal wage and a tip should not be expected. However, I believe in tipping and will tip well if it is deserved, so sometimes I tip, Sometimes I don't, just depends on the situation. Heck, if you're friendly, I'm going to tip you.

Also, on large groups (over 8) gratuity is usually added in, because the tendancy is to undertip in that situation(e.g. the bill is $400 17% is $68, but the tendency is to think "Oh I'll just leave $40 that's enough") even though the server usually works twice as hard to keep up with such a large group.

Alexamateo
27th February 2007, 23:05
PS. The driver of the shuttle bus didn't do a very good job and since she only had $20 notes she decided not to give the driver a tip, to which he wasn't too pleased ;)

Not 100% sure of course, but I bet if you talked to the owner of the shuttle, I bet he would be horrified to know his drivers were shaking down customers for tips. Like I said, I'll tip a shuttle driver a couple of bucks if he's friendly and helpful, but I don't believe it's expected like in a restaurant.

Also, something to think about in tips, "Am I ever going to see this person again?" :p : ;) :)

On a final note, I left a good tip one time on a boat tour of the Thames in London. He had us rolling on the floor laughing, pointing out the various landmarks and historical places. Afterwards, He was passing the hat exclaiming "Appreciation!, Appreciation!" Well we appreciated it, It was definitely a highlight of the trip.

harsha
28th February 2007, 14:00
well,bro just recently bought an AC,the person there assured us that no service charges ar enot necessary or installing the AC,my brother still deceided to give the technician some money....it ws a sizeable amount

the funny thing was that the technician wanted more :eek: :mad:

Tomski
28th February 2007, 15:20
As a professional Yorkshireman, short arms & deep pockets, I will only tip anyone if they have given me exceptional service over and beyond the call of duty.

Anyone who expects a tip as a matter of course can go and take a running jump, regardless whether its a local custom or not.

AndySpeed
28th February 2007, 20:51
On average I make about £3.50 in tips in my line of work :laugh:

I don't expect it, I've been known to get 50p some nights and about £8 on others. However working behind a bar there's little I can do to give "exceptional" service as I like to think that all of my service is the same. So I'm a bit vexed as to why some people tip me sometimes...

If I had the money I would probably tip a fair bit in restaurants. But being a student I think it's fair that I rarely do

Loobylou
2nd March 2007, 14:02
My hairdresser normally gets a fiver, in November however she got a pack of photo paper (she'd said that she needed some but kept not getting any - we had a spare pack, it costs about a fiver so she wasn't out of pocket...).

I don't like being hounded in the loo so not a hope in hell there. Eateries, depends, mood, service, food they all have an effect on the odds of me leaving extra cash.

draper
3rd March 2007, 00:29
why should we tip ?? the level of customer service in this country is terrible, no-ones cares what the customer wants or thinks anymore. even when you do complain they look down at you as if to say "who the f"** do you think you are"