beachgirl
21st February 2010, 19:34
ROFLMAO!!! Thanks!

slorydn1
21st February 2010, 19:38
all so true unfortunately

harvick#1
21st February 2010, 19:56
anyone know what it was yesterday, I only saw the last ten laps but they must have said her name about 20 times

71Fan
21st February 2010, 20:51
I tried keeping track yesterday but gave up about 10 laps in.

beachgirl
21st February 2010, 20:57
New drinking game?

slorydn1
21st February 2010, 21:00
New drinking game?

:up:

:beer: :beer: :beer:

harvick#1
21st February 2010, 21:54
New drinking game?

if you wanna be dead by 10 minutes through the pre-race show :laugh:

e2mtt
22nd February 2010, 04:23
New drinking game?

You better make them sips, not shots or swigs.

71Fan
22nd February 2010, 05:02
Sure woulda loved it back in the day

Mark in Oshawa
22nd February 2010, 06:23
ESPN/ABC never met anything they couldn't over hype.

beachbum
22nd February 2010, 12:34
ESPN/ABC isn't as bad as Fox Sports

Mark in Oshawa
22nd February 2010, 19:16
ESPN/ABC isn't as bad as Fox Sports

REALLY? You watch the IRL coverage when Danica showed up? Then cast a thought or two back to when Sarah Fisher came to the IRL? Then watched every Indy 500 broadcast where Danica was racing? Believe me, FOX hasn't been great on this, but you and I are not talking about how nauseating the coverage is if ABC/ESPN had treated Danica like every other driver.

This is the whole problem. The hype machine is pushing this personality onto the fan at home, and her results don't justify the hype. They didn't in the IRL, and they don't in NASCAR. Danica's results from 5 years of the IRL basically show she is a competant driver on ovals now, has flashes where she can run near the front, maybe fluke out a win on strategy, but that's it. It would be like the IRL being in a Tizzy if Casey Mears came back. No one in their right in mind in the IRL would hype the heck out of Casey Mears getting an IRL ride based on his experience. Make the driver with similar stats a petite brunette and everyone loses their minds. IT makes NO sense.....

e2mtt
22nd February 2010, 19:35
ABC/ESPN are horrible the way they hype sports - always with a human interest/"reality TV"/emotion angle. They take every sport they broadcast and apparently try to make it more appealing to clueless, celebrity obsessed, easily confused non-fans. I assume they think this helps ratings, because the fans will still watch.

Their Nationwide coverage was bad without Danica, their IRL coverage was bad, and their Nationwide coverage with Danica is terrible. Mute button required.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd February 2010, 21:20
ABC/ESPN are horrible the way they hype sports - always with a human interest/"reality TV"/emotion angle. They take every sport they broadcast and apparently try to make it more appealing to clueless, celebrity obsessed, easily confused non-fans. I assume they think this helps ratings, because the fans will still watch.

Their Nationwide coverage was bad without Danica, their IRL coverage was bad, and their Nationwide coverage with Danica is terrible. Mute button required.

I will do my bit. I wont Watch the Nationwide series if Danica is there....

NickFalzone
22nd February 2010, 23:49
The difference between Fox and ABC/ESPN is that, in my experience, the Fox commentators KNOW when they're over-hyping something to the audience. Yes, they often over-hype, but they know when they've crossed the line and need to pull back. But ABC/ESPN guys are completely clueless in this regard, they have no sense of being a typical race-fan watching the broadcast, that EVENTUALLY gets tired of the over-hype. They will literally beat a topic senseless, from Danica pre-race "packages" to pre-race interviews, to in-race commentary, to in-race packages, to post-race commentary and interviews (or shots of her not doing interviews). The barrage of hype just never ends, they are completely clueless about how grating it can be. DW, LM, MJ can be annoying at times, but you can feel that in the booth they know when they've gone over that line and it's time to be professionals and not hype machines.

I've probably asked this before, but what about regardless of network, they all use the same commentary crew? Get DW, LM, MJ and maybe rotate Petty in once in awhile, but have that be your primary crew. They're not going to have it all on the same network, but consistent commentators throughout the season would be great. I know this doesn't solve the Danica issue per-se, but it would make for a more consistent 36-race broadcast imo.

harvick#1
23rd February 2010, 00:18
I always enjoy reading the headlines from yahoo or the local newpapers

"Danica finishes 31st...Kyle Busch wins thriller"

its like the Tiger woods crap when he plays golf.

why the media keeps acting like Danica is the first woman ever to race in Nascar is just too funny, they need to go look back at the history books.

e2mtt
23rd February 2010, 00:49
I always enjoy reading the headlines from yahoo or the local newpapers

"Danica finishes 31st...Kyle Busch wins thriller"

its like the Tiger woods crap when he plays golf.

why the media keeps acting like Danica is the first woman ever to race in Nascar is just too funny, they need to go look back at the history books.

It's because they are media... they're the same ones that acted like Tiger Woods reading a meaningless "apology" was was huge life-changing top news last week.

TURN3
23rd February 2010, 00:55
Funny you guys bring up the analogy. I was just comparing the Tiger story and the Danica stories with my father last week. The media issues nothing more than propoganda. Our country, we the followers, are infected with whatever they force feed us and if you dare dispute or see the truths then you are a conspirator. There is a huge difference between these 2 athletes though, Tiger is the undisputed #1 golfer in the world and Danica is a driver that has 1 professional victory in an 13 year professional career (a fluke occurrence at that). All I can say is what I've been saying for years, real racing people know the difference between media and truth merely by looking at a stat sheet or listening to former team members and other colleagues.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd February 2010, 06:32
Funny you guys bring up the analogy. I was just comparing the Tiger story and the Danica stories with my father last week. The media issues nothing more than propoganda. Our country, we the followers, are infected with whatever they force feed us and if you dare dispute or see the truths then you are a conspirator. There is a huge difference between these 2 athletes though, Tiger is the undisputed #1 golfer in the world and Danica is a driver that has 1 professional victory in an 13 year professional career (a fluke occurrence at that). All I can say is what I've been saying for years, real racing people know the difference between media and truth merely by looking at a stat sheet or listening to former team members and other colleagues.

I agree entirely. Tiger is the greatest golfer of his time, and maybe all time, and no athlete in as competitive sport as golf is has been head and shoulders above the field like Tiger. So the hype is in many ways understandable. Danica's hype is based on her personal appearance. Nothing more really...

AS for the idea that the commentators should be the same regardless of network, remember this is a 36 week sched, and I think 36 weeks of Boogity Boogity Boogity and DW and Larry would wear most of us out, and I like DW!

No....I enjoy the Fox guys most of the time, and I think they will stop the hype on Danica now it is clear that 3 laps down is going to be a thread. It is ABC/ESPN that need to be beat to a pulp. They hyped the heck out of her in their IRL coverage (maybe that is why their ratings dropped!) and they will do it when she is racing in the Nationwide. I want to see how they talk about her when she ISNT racing in NASCAR....

Mark in Oshawa
23rd February 2010, 06:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m23d8fEt-k

Great stuff.....enjoy

79 Danica's and I had to shut it off before I threw UP!