I think the americans are starting to realy like rallying

http://www.streetfire.net/

Captain VXR
27th February 2007, 12:01
http://www.streetfire.net/2007/02/subarunorway-gives-us-taste-of-wrc.aspx
Cheers :up:

SubaruNorway
27th February 2007, 13:14
An interesting thing is that in the future it might be possible to make money featuring commercial in the videos :D

L5->R5/CR
27th February 2007, 17:07
yeah, rallying is growing at a decent clip here, especially on the net...

WRCfan
2nd March 2007, 03:08
I think the sport of rallying has been exposed to many more people through X-Games legend Travis Pastrana. Many of the FMX boys know know and are keen to follow rallying after seeing their hero doing it.
Good exposure for our sport!!!!

RallyCat909
3rd March 2007, 22:44
I rallied with Pastrana at a small regional rally in Paris, Texas last Sept. I have to say he is a great guy and loves the sport that I can see. I think he is a great ambassador for the US in the WRC. Assuming he actually gets a top level ride.

SubaruNorway
3rd March 2007, 22:51
Just a small question, why don't you use proper studtyres must be "boring" sliding around on roadtyres.

SubaruNorway
14th March 2007, 22:49
Welcome to the family FrankenSchwinn. Look at the comments http://www.streetfire.net/2007/03/more-rally-norway.aspx

Fischer
15th March 2007, 11:50
WRC is too complicated and precise for blunt Americans, their simple minds can only handle overpowered cars driving in circles (aka nascar).

cyd
15th March 2007, 13:06
WRC is too complicated and precise for blunt Americans, their simple minds can only handle overpowered cars driving in circles (aka nascar).

:mad: Actually, it's because when we pay money for a ticket, we prefer to go to stadiums and be entertained, not slog through mud and underbrush to watch cars flash by in a few seconds. I happen to be a MotoGP, NASCAR, Champ Car and WRC fan. And perhaps it's worth mentioning that WRC's complication may be part of its demise since it's pricing itself out of reach for many teams.

BTW, exactly how many NASCAR engineers do you know?

SubaruNorway
15th March 2007, 13:29
[quote="cyd"]

Thats the beauty of it, i think the NASCAR fans are to posh :D

Fischer
15th March 2007, 16:38
:mad: Actually, it's because when we pay money for a ticket, we prefer to go to stadiums and be entertained, not slog through mud and underbrush to watch cars flash by in a few seconds. I happen to be a MotoGP, NASCAR, Champ Car and WRC fan. And perhaps it's worth mentioning that WRC's complication may be part of its demise since it's pricing itself out of reach for many teams.

BTW, exactly how many NASCAR engineers do you know?

If you think NASCAR is entertainment, then I honestly feel sorry for you.
With all the dollars around this is the best they can produce, ugly cars with 6-liter engines driving endlessly in circles in a stadium, please.... :(

L5->R5/CR
15th March 2007, 16:52
With all the dollars around this is the best they can produce, ugly cars with 6-liter engines driving endlessly in circles in a stadium, please.... :(

No, thats not what NASCAR is, if that is what it is then it wouldn't be popular.

NASCAR is 3-6 hours of drama, excitement, and action, packaged into a simple, easy to follow package. NASCAR banks it success on the teams and drivers, continually creating drama, and getting people to buy into their heros. So little of NASCARs popularity is due to the actual racing (properly done, NASCAR would be just as popular if they were driving go-karts around parking lots). NASCAR is the epitomy of marketing and packaging, certainly not technology or driving difficulty (although it takes a lot of skill to pilot an 800-900 hp 3,200 pound aerodynamic turd around an oval with all sorts of other cars and changing variables at 180-210 mph).

You can be a NASCAR fan, and feel like you are getting insight, drama, and entertainment, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. NASCAR is a careful blend WWE entertainment and soap opera story lines surrounding a form racing that lends itself incredibly well to easy spectating by tens of thousands of people.

cyd
16th March 2007, 13:04

Yes, Fischer, I'm afraid I do find NASCAR entertaining. I will admit the cars don't look the best, but they are a vast improvement over the 80s. But the new Subaru WRC is no bed of roses either.

What L5->R5/CR has to say is very true. Maybe it's a socio-cultural thing. But you really shouldn't make judgments unless you've actually experienced a race. The sounds, smells and colors can't be reproduced by the best HD TV.

I hope rallying does catch on more in the US. It would be great to host a WRC event. It will never replace NASCAR, but don't say Americans "don't get" rallying. It just needs more exposure.

SubaruNorway
25th March 2007, 02:49
Again :D
http://www.streetfire.net/2007/03/even-more-rally-norway.aspx

Christina
25th March 2007, 06:47
NASCAR is 3-6 hours of drama, excitement, and action, packaged into a simple, easy to follow package. NASCAR banks it success on the teams and drivers, continually creating drama, and getting people to buy into their heros. So little of NASCARs popularity is due to the actual racing (properly done, NASCAR would be just as popular if they were driving go-karts around parking lots). NASCAR is the epitomy of marketing and packaging, certainly not technology or driving difficulty (although it takes a lot of skill to pilot an 800-900 hp 3,200 pound aerodynamic turd around an oval with all sorts of other cars and changing variables at 180-210 mph).

You can be a NASCAR fan, and feel like you are getting insight, drama, and entertainment, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. NASCAR is a careful blend WWE entertainment and soap opera story lines surrounding a form racing that lends itself incredibly well to easy spectating by tens of thousands of people.

Sounds like TV dinners to me. pre-packaged formulated entertainment. boring. I love rally because sometimes part of the challenge is actually getting to the stages, the atmosphere, the drunk finnish santas, the service parks, the fact that you can just have a nice little chat to the drivers about how their rally is going in the service park. you can see the whole service area, you can talk to the mechanics, it feels sometimes like you're involved, like you're part of the action. It is one of the few things i will happily get muddy for. Can you say most of these things about NASCAR?

Back to the subject of coverage, it's pretty average here at the moment. we get an hour and a half two weeks after the event. Compared to england when i stayed there last august, with daily coverage and a roundup at the end, Australia's coverage is pretty dismal.

L5->R5/CR
25th March 2007, 18:00
Sounds like TV dinners to me. pre-packaged formulated entertainment. boring. I love rally because sometimes part of the challenge is actually getting to the stages, the atmosphere, the drunk finnish santas, the service parks, the fact that you can just have a nice little chat to the drivers about how their rally is going in the service park. you can see the whole service area, you can talk to the mechanics, it feels sometimes like you're involved, like you're part of the action. It is one of the few things i will happily get muddy for. Can you say most of these things about NASCAR?

Uh....

If I love NASCAR and it was what got my heart pumping would I post almost exclusively in the WRC forum? NASCAR bores me, but that doesn't mean I can understand and appreciate what it is and why it is the giant it has become...

NASCAR is too commercial, most circuit racing experiences are too sterile (although I do like our World Challenge series here in the US). Rallying is pure excitement, interaction, and adrenaline...

Fleur
28th March 2007, 06:31
Okay, back to the thread topic, thats a GREAT video from Rally Norway....

SubaruNorway
14th August 2007, 23:47
Yes! again, this turned out quite cool i think http://videos.streetfire.net/video/78d0f2c9-836c-47b7-8062-998a00afed6b.htm

SubaruNorway
15th August 2007, 00:11
Let's just spam the whole streetfire with rallyvideos that would be fun :D